Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Like I said it is very Tom Clancy. What army? it is composed of conscripted 18 year olds who just want to go home. There was a scandal when it turns out some commander in the far east was just selling their kidneys to China. You are ordered into medical wing, given an injection, wake up without a kidney lol. What kind of fighting force is that. As for Russians who want to live in Russia, they want to live in different Russias. Some want the empire restored, some want communism restored, most just want roads that aren't crap. Russians were the first to experience the whole fake news technology, and also the first to be hungover and disillusioned from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Whoa Do you have an article or something about the kidney thing ?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

As for Russians who want to live in Russia, they want to live in different Russias. Some want the empire restored, some want communism restored, most just want roads that aren't crap. Russians were the first to experience the whole fake news technology, and also the first to be hungover and disillusioned from it.

They want different futures for the same Russia, like people in literally any other country. And no, propaganda wasn't invented in Russia, and Russian people are not the first to realise that politicians lie.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
One of the main things in Russian regional provinces is the mindset of the people that the local government is terrible and can only be solved by an "authority" which in turn is usually simply "Putin" or the central Moscow government. So everyone hates the government but q lot of people love Putin.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The Estonian parliamentary elections are over.
Seats won and previous result in parentheses
Reform party 34 (30)
Center party 26 (27)
EKRE 19 (12)
Fatherland 12 (14)
Social democrats 10 (15)

EKRE the conservative racists made the most gains, including one neckbeard hitler getting a seat.

Fatherland came back from nearly not making the threshold a few months go. The current coalition adds up to 48, so it looks like we're getting our first female prime minister.

I don't really care anymore.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I know the Lithuanians have been complaining about this loudly for years. What is the possibility it won't be finished or ever go into operation?

https://twitter.com/LithuaniaMFA/status/1100769542123520000

Zero, but Lithuania is keen not to buy any electricity produced on that nuclear plant and is planning to cut the lines that connect Belarus to the EU. This leaves the option of transferring the electricity through Russia into Latvia though. In any case batka instructed belarussians to start building electromobiles so you can be sure they knew what they were going to do with the excess power besides selling it to Europe

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Karmalis posted:

One of the main things in Russian regional provinces is the mindset of the people that the local government is terrible and can only be solved by an "authority" which in turn is usually simply "Putin" or the central Moscow government. So everyone hates the government but q lot of people love Putin.

"The Czar wants justice but the boyars resist."

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
in more Estonian election news, the Reform party (center-right liberals) who won the elections proposed a coalition with the center party (social-liberal centrist populists).

But the center turned it down and now it looks like the center party is instead forming a coalition with the conservative racist party and Fatherland party (national conservatism and something like christian democracy without Christianity). The latter two will probably try their utmost to make sure the voters know who the top patriot is.

The conservative racists will of course set some conditions, one of them will be the same-sex partnership bill. Center party's Russian electorate will probably not mind at all repealing it. But this whole coalition deal is not yet certain, and there could be plenty of things that the center's Russian electorate would mind. Or the other way - some supporters of conservative racists figure that their party would never give in and doing otherwise would be betrayal.

Poop.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 11, 2019

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Poland news:

PiS has a new scapegoat. Since the anti-refugee hysteria has mostly run out of steam (and simply left a massive contingent of aggressive racists as a fixture of our society because I guess that's the country we live in now) they need a new conflict to galvanize their core supporters ahead of the European election. Plus with the massive influx of economic immigrants from Ukraine that the government needs to keep wage demands down, xenophobia is a risky card to play. Teachers are about to go on strike so they tried that one, but it turns out that they're too popular and that would center the conflict on an actual issue, which is clearly undesirable. What moral threat to the fabric of society does that leave us with? You guessed it: it's The Gays.

They've rolled out a full-on offensive of open homophobia. No dogwhistles either. Since there's a new party led by an openly gay man and the mayor of Warsaw just signed a pledge to support LGBT rights, well, now YOUR CHILDREN are going to be force-fed sexual education by gay people! It's basically grooming! There's going to be lessons on how to masturbate! They're taking away the right to instill your values in your kids! etc., the entire playbook of the American 1980's-1990's evangelical right. Of course, the usual suspects are at it as well: the right-wing press is tooting that horn, Catholic Church fell right into line and has of course condemned the indidious whispers of heathen perverts. And some football hooligans have made huge banners of anti-gay slurs to hang in the stands at games, so we're probably going to see an uptick in outright hate crimes from those loving troglodytes.

Christ, this goddamn country. :(

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hools will write whatever bullshit that gives them news and recruits from fringes. Remember "Jihad Legia"?
And I'm not sure it will grant additional support to PiS, old racist folk already either support them or hate them for not being strict enough with immigration.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
It's not about gaining new support, though. The European Parliament elections are pretty much won and lost on turnout because it's so low. It'll probably be higher than usual this year, but still certainly not as high as parliamentary elections, so getting strong emotions going among the electorate is important. Of course the average homophobe supports PiS anyway, but they might not actually care enough to go to the ballot box. But when the opposition is framed as representatives of the advancing Gay Agenda that will indoctrinate your children, said homophobe is more likely to go vote against that.

I mean, it might not work, I hope it doesn't, but it's still depressing that it's happening at all.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

An end to the Jewish question in Polish parliament?

For sale at the Sejm's newsstand

https://twitter.com/a_szczesniak80/status/1105780559278735360

HOW TO SPOT A JEW
surname, anthropological features, manner of speaking, looks, character traits, methods, disinformation, how to win against them?, this can't go on!!!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
pls post, I am terrible at spotting Jews :(

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Nenonen posted:

pls post, I am terrible at spotting Jews :(

do they disagree with me
---> yes ---> definitely a Jew
---> no ---> maybe a Jew

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rrp-7RG4

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Polish Catholic Church had a conference where they reported findings of pedophiles in church. The findings are:
- it’s the sexualised kids that are groomed by big contraception to be sexually active from earliest times
- stop concentrating on pedos, there are child soldiers, organ harvesting, human trafficking, sex tourism and other crimes concerning children (the report was about Poland - those things either don’t happen or are very minor)
- zero tolerance sounds like something Germans used against Jews during WW2, why get Nazi on poor Church

What didn’t happen:
- we’re sorry, it won’t happen
- guilty parties will be punished to the whole extent of law and excommunicated
- we’ll do our utmost to help the victims

:let’s sharpen the stakes and get polish traditional on rapists emote:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Korwin should have been invited as a guest speaker: „The touch of an adult man can only help a girl flourish.”

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Interesting poll results were published recently by Kyiv International Institute of Sociology.

https://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=832&page=1

This poll shows that only about 8% of people want to stop teaching the Russian language at schools, while almost 30% say that it should have the same amount of hours dedicated to it as Ukrainian. 28% of Ukrainian also speak Russian either exclusively or most of the time compared to 46% who speak Ukrainian, and 25% speak both Russian and Ukrainian.

More surprisingly, the poll shows that more than a half of Ukrainians would agree to DPR/LPR autonomy, if it meant a peaceful end to the war there. 28% would definitely support this, and 23% would probably support it. Even in Western Ukraine, it's a 35%/38% split among those who agree and disagree.

Another poll shows that general attitude of Ukrainians toward Russia is getting more positive lately.

https://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=en&cat=reports&id=831&page=1

(blue is the attitude of Ukrainians towards Russia in general, orange - of Russians towards Ukraine)

Of course, only 13% of Ukrainians view Russia's government positively, compared to 77% when it comes to just Russians as people.

Yet another poll shows that the majority of Ukrainians see ban on Russian TV channels as a mistake.

https://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=833&page=1

Despite that, there is a growing number of people who say that there are too many pro-Kremlin media in Ukraine, and not enough is done to mitigate this (35% now compared to 30% in 2018).

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 18, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I, for one, am in favor of more attention being placed on English, a language spoken in the EU member Ireland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So what's happening with the anti-government demonstrations in Serbia?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

I, for one, am in favor of more attention being placed on English, a language spoken in the EU member Ireland.

Don't forget Malta!

The new language law in Ukraine in its current form goes to absurd lengths to exclude specifically Russian, while, say, Dutch is nominally on a better standing due to being a EU language. Most likely there'll be a push to pass it prior to elections to get support of more nationalistic-oriented audience, but should Poroshenko lose, the law will also most likely peter out (pun intended).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1107693286477705216?s=19

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So there's a new early access game on steam that allows you to build your very own Soviet Republic.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

It's very early-access but I've been enjoying it so far. Has a lovely soundtrack of grand soviet marches and sweet soviet synth.

It has an interesting community of 75% folks larping that they're soviet leaders and 25% making it very clear that although hey are playing this game they are NOT a communist and capitalism will win.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

25% making it very clear that although hey are playing this game they are NOT a communist and capitalism will win.

They're charging their crystals.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1107573070489964544

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Wholly Chao

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1107995560181669889

deleted for some reason but lots of other news sources are saying the same

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 19, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
To remain head of National Security Council.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wholly Chao

Holy poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wholly Chao

It's still on BBC, maybe they just deleted the tweet.

And yeah pretty huge news, I guess it's too soon to tell if this will make things better for people but I can already feel Putin rubbing his hands behind the curtain.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wholly Chao

Wow! Kind of nice to see such a long-serving president just resign. Hope that starts a trend. Did he name his successor?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

It's still on BBC, maybe they just deleted the tweet.

And yeah pretty huge news, I guess it's too soon to tell if this will make things better for people but I can already feel Putin rubbing his hands behind the curtain.

I get that feeling too and wonder if Batka's next.

Paladinus posted:

Wow! Kind of nice to see such a long-serving president just resign. Hope that starts a trend. Did he name his successor?

Senate Speaker Tokayev will act as interim.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kazakhstan-president-idUSKCN1R01N1

quote:

Nazarbayev, 78, has led the former Soviet republic since 1989, first as its Communist leader and then as president.

“I have taken a decision, which was not easy for me, to resign as president,” Nazarbayev said in a televised address.

Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, speaker of the upper house of parliament, will take over as the country’s acting president for the remainder of his term in line with the constitution, Nazarbayev said.

Nazarbayev, who has helped attract tens of billions of dollars from foreign energy companies, said he would continue to chair the Security Council and remain leader of the Nur Otan party which dominates parliament.

Nazarbayev enjoys a strong working relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Totally unrelated I'm sure but a large filing of court documents on the Michael Cohen/Trump investigation were released today. It contained this gem.

https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1107996814698008576

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 19, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It seems like an organized transition and Nazarbayez probably will be sticking around behind the scenes. It doesn't seem like the Ruble budged much, and the Tenge dropped 1%.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It seems like an organized transition and Nazarbayez probably will be sticking around behind the scenes. It doesn't seem like the Ruble budged much, and the Tenge dropped 1%.

Not really "behind the scenes" --- he is still chairing the security council and the ruling party.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Not really "behind the scenes" --- he is still chairing the security council and the ruling party.

More or less, he is transitioning into retirement, but very slowly. Putin may do something very similar.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Was Nazarbayev the last of the former Soviet forever presidents? Lukashenko is young enough he could be around for another 20 years if he wanted.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Was Nazarbayev the last of the former Soviet forever presidents? Lukashenko is young enough he could be around for another 20 years if he wanted.

Depends on how exactly you define that:
https://mobile.twitter.com/grudkev/status/1108062133504364545

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man I forgot Niyazov died such a long time ago.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nice burn on Medvedev.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rahmon is still holding on.

Paladinus posted:

Nice burn on Medvedev.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m not sure I’d consider Aliyevs a separate ruler either.