Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

An Officer's Duty by Jean Johnson: apparently Einstein or the people that followed him made a mistake, and FTL travel is possible. Is the author going to explain this? hahahaha no

I know I know 98% of all sci-fi books go "FTL is possible" but this is the most brazen "yeah screw science let's go" moment I've ever read.

Charles Stross has a series where FTL travel is possible and Einstein is correct and FTL travel is functionally time travel and therefore the universe is locked in recursive singularity wars and governed by a far-future AI which has reached back into the present to make sure that the future where it exists is preserved.

It's pretty nifty but it ruins other space opera because once you've read it you can't easily forget how bullshit FTL is in other series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't that a common SF trope anyway? "Sure, Einstein originally proved FTL was impossible, but then in 2098 (or 2030, or 1986, depending on how old the book is) Sackett proved that Einstein was full of poo poo, so FTL."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm enjoying in Excession that how fast beyond the SoL a ship can go (measured in "kilolights" of course) is a plot point, which makes zero sense from a real physics perspective. Banks does not try to come up with any handwavey bs explanation for it and that's for the best. The ships just go real fast.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Charles Stross has a series where FTL travel is possible and Einstein is correct and FTL travel is functionally time travel and therefore the universe is locked in recursive singularity wars and governed by a far-future AI which has reached back into the present to make sure that the future where it exists is preserved.

It's pretty nifty but it ruins other space opera because once you've read it you can't easily forget how bullshit FTL is in other series.
And it's also a series where he realised he'd accidentally broken it too much to continue.

I like "oh yeah einstein was technically wrong" with no further hand waves, and I also like "uh, algae." Pretty sure I've read "when we built a spaceship it turned out Newton was actually right for some reason" too, where you actually do just accelerate according to Newtonian physics forever if you bring the fuel. Or have a magic drive. But it's not the magic part that lets you go FTL.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 19, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Selachian posted:

Isn't that a common SF trope anyway? "Sure, Einstein originally proved FTL was impossible, but then in 2098 (or 2030, or 1986, depending on how old the book is) Sackett proved that Einstein was full of poo poo, so FTL."

They don't always give dates, but yeah. And IMO it's a completely defensible approach, considering how often scientific advancement is not "the previous model was completely wrong" but "the previous model was like 98% right but breaks down dramatically when you hit certain edge cases and needs refinement". Newtonian physics -> Einsteinian physics being the classic one -- as long as you aren't dealing with things that are really tiny, really massive, or really fast, Newton's equations will give you answers that are functionally indistinguishable from the "right" ones.

This does not prevent individual authors from completely loving up their approach to it, of course, especially if they then attempt to go into details on exactly how Einstein was wrong and/or how the FTL drive works under the hood.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I like "oh yeah einstein was technically wrong" with no further hand waves, and I also like "uh, algae." Pretty sure I've read "when we built a spaceship it turned out Newton was actually right for some reason" too, where you actually do just accelerate according to Newtonian physics forever if you bring the fuel.

This is how the Lensman books worked, IIRC, although I can't think of any other examples.

quote:

Or have a magic drive. But it's not the magic part that lets you go FTL.

What do you mean by "it's not the magic part that lets you go FTL"? I've definitely read a few settings where FTL is explicitly magic and is performed by wizards. (Otherwise science-fictional settings, I mean, not fantasy settings where wizards being able to teleport is considered completely unremarkable.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What are some must-reads from Harlan Ellison? Alternatively, is there a good collection of his stuff that highlights his best work? I've only ever read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream so I'd like to expand a little.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Selachian posted:

It's the speed of light in a vacuum. At some technology is able to flood the universe with luminiferous aether, nicely bypassing that whole "in a vacuum" thing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

Delany's published a lot of different stuff; he has consistent themes and interests, though. What are you looking for?

I have the first Nevèrÿon book on my shelf, haven't read much of it though. I remember the bits about list theory confusing me.

Oh also I missed you responding to me here. I think I'm going to go with Babel-17 because I have a huge soft spot for sci-fi where language plays a major part, but if there's a standout fantasy novel in his bibliography (or one that is kind of "iconic" of his style) I'd be interested to try that out too.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some must-reads from Harlan Ellison? Alternatively, is there a good collection of his stuff that highlights his best work? I've only ever read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream so I'd like to expand a little.

There is a collection of the same name as that story that I recall being a good survey of his short stories.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ToxicFrog posted:

What do you mean by "it's not the magic part that lets you go FTL"? I've definitely read a few settings where FTL is explicitly magic and is performed by wizards. (Otherwise science-fictional settings, I mean, not fantasy settings where wizards being able to teleport is considered completely unremarkable.)
Oh, I just meant in the Lensman example you could use some handwavey magic drive that doesn't subject you to the rocket equation and require your ship to be 99% fuel to go fast. The magic is that you can do it easily, actually going past c is a mundane consequence.

I'm sure there's one setting where FTL is sex magic.

Ben Nevis posted:

It's the speed of light in a vacuum. At some technology is able to flood the universe with luminiferous aether, nicely bypassing that whole "in a vacuum" thing.
Also allowing for cool banking turns.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

MockingQuantum posted:

Ellison was a short-story writer, so all of his work is found in collections. At the same time, the original collections were heavily themed, organized, and curated by Ellison himself, and so have come to be viewed as books standing on their own. I think the most respected of these is probably Deathbird Stories.

The Essential Ellison is the only big "master" collection drawing from all of those. It was expensive before he died and has only spiked since his death. However, there's two editions: the 35-year and the 50-year retrospective versions. Paperback copies of the 35 are affordable still.

You might want to just assemble a list of those stories people consider his best and grab cheap copies of the collections they originally appeared in; they're widely available second-hand. Many of those are also still in-print today, but since his work is so scattered, even buying up Kindle copies would soon take you over the cost of the Essentials collection.

His biggest stories (besides what you've mentioned) are probably:

"The Whimper of Whipped Dogs"
"Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38° 54' N, Longitude 77° 00' 13" W"
"The Deathbird"
""Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"
"The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World"
"Jeffty Is Five"
"Paladin of the Lost Hour"
"The Man who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore"

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Said this before, but in old scifi, especially old pulp-scifi, FTL travel was omnipresent while conversely mentioning/incorporating newtonian physics into stories were a authors-no-mans land of being tied down to details.

So if a author bothered to put newtonian physics/gravity effects into a book, they were seen as deeper than Stephen Hawking at his prime. Hal Clement built his career as a scifi writer doing that. Larrry Niven tried to have it both ways, in that many of his short stories revolved around observed scientific facts in space while featuring both FTL + STL (slower-than-light) travel (hyperspace 1/2 engines + hydrogen powered ramjets, respectively).

MockingQuantum posted:

Hit up your local library system, multiple Harlan Ellison collections or books are very likely to be in there.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 19, 2019

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Of course there is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_Captain%27s_Tale

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My favorite FTL-as-time-travel bit is actually the one in one of Baxter's books where they use FTL closed timelike loops to create a computer that, when it actually works, appears to do nothing except give you the right answer the moment after you ask it a question.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I like Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space inertia-suppressing 'FTL' where if you try to do it it inevitably not only fails but has a good chance of retroactively erasing you (and possibly your entire species) from existence. Good and spooky. IIRC that setting's slower-than-light engines were powered by wormholes connected back to the moment of the Big Bang, which always seemed like a bit of overkill...

I finished* the third Baru book today :unsmith: It will still need loads of editing but it's a nice milestone, especially after that stupid lovely second one took so many years.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I finished The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. today, and it's not very good. I'll have a more detailed rundown up later, but I think it's worse than Seveneves.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Norman Spinrad's The Void Captain's Tale, which features orgasm-powered spaceships.

MockingQuantum posted:

The Essential Ellison is your best bet if you can get a copy. Otherwise, I'd recommend Deathbird Stories, Shatterday, and/or Angry Candy among his short story collections.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Solitair posted:

I finished The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. today, and it's not very good. I'll have a more detailed rundown up later, but I think it's worse than Seveneves.

My thought on D.O.D.O when I finished it were "This might be okay if there's going to be a rest of the story by the same team, worse if it's going to be different writers, pretty bad if that's supposed to be it, and horrible of this was the backstory for a video game " At least we've avoided the last option. (A lot of the setup did feel like justifying mmo mechanics.)

And now he's writing a Reamde sequel of all things, instead of a post 9/11 post Bitcoin Cryptonomicon follow-up or the Civil War era story in the Cryptonomicon/Baroque universe...

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thranguy posted:

And now he's writing a Reamde sequel of all things, instead of a post 9/11 post Bitcoin Cryptonomicon follow-up or the Civil War era story in the Cryptonomicon/Baroque universe...

Real life conjured up something better than anything Stephenson could write. That is, have you all forgot the infinitely hilarious at every level Mt Gox 'hack" story?

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 19, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I really like how the end of Forever War used FTL :3:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Fair enough.
Not everyone uses patreon(?, did I spell that right) though.

Finally gave up on a David Brin book. Earth @1990 with a premise "Earth : 50+ yrs in the future", it aged badly in the 29 years since it was published. Even attempting to view it as parody (which has saved multiple books + authors for me) failed. The space shuttle program that was 400% more efficient than in real life(because PR + middle management didn't take up 30%/40% of the NASA budget in-book i guess versus real life), the poo poo-talking gives no fucks nobel award winning scientist whom is ALWAYS RIGHT, massive govt funded bio-arks across the world yet kyoto accords were too expensive to implement/never took place, and finally the internet (think prodigy online circa 1989 with better bandwidth).

That one nearly killed me. The only thing vaguely interesting was the guy converting the original Star Trek series into 3D.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Sturgeon Award nominations for science fiction stories came out a few weeks ago, and I finally got around to checking them out. They usually do a great job of picking out some great stories, and it's usually a good preview for what will show up in the Hugos.

Here are the ones I recommend:

"Nine Last Days on Planet Earth," by Daryl Gregory: A coming of age story of a scientist. The science fictional aspects of the story cover some familiar territory (strange plants from outer space threaten life on Earth), but there's a creativity to how these plants are described that doesn't show up in its peers and allows you to connect with the actual scientific wonder that it's trying to convey. There's also a political relevance in how the plants are treated. They're objects of curiosity, but their threat to the environment slowly builds over the course of decades. Despite the title, the story is quite optimistic, but nails quite a few moods. Highly recommended, and very likely to win the Hugo for novellette.

“When Robot and Crow Saved East St. Louis," by Annalee Newitz: A very cute story about a disease control robot. It takes a left turn that is very much in keeping with the robotic science fiction sub-genre, and there's a lot of good humor and some keen insights.

“On the Day You Spend Forever with Your Dog," by Adam Shannon: A scientist discovers a very prosaic form of time travel and uses it to spend time with his dog. It reads like dog-lover bait, but it invites a subversive oppositional reading. It's part of a tradition of science fiction I love that explores an idea and the nuances of how it would affect human behavior in a way that goes beyond the superficial. My favorite story of the bunch.

“Yard Dog," by Tade Thompson: This one you have to pay for, but the magazine is definitely worth the 4 bucks. Thompson is one of the best prose stylists in the genre today, and this story really shows off his skills. It's just so cool while still pulling off a sinister vibe.

As for the others, the Gilman, Heller, and Lee stories are good if you like a lot of creative but clunky exposition (the Lee story features a faction of antagonists known as "the Fleet Lords", which I think sums it up), and the Clark piece is quite vivid and evocative, but is maybe a little too pointed. The Bolander and Robson are novellas that you need to buy. I read the Amazon previews and they seem fine, but they're not to my taste. The Beckett story is good, but you have to buy the issue of F&SF along with it, which is mostly mediocre.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Thranguy posted:

My thought on D.O.D.O when I finished it were "This might be okay if there's going to be a rest of the story by the same team, worse if it's going to be different writers, pretty bad if that's supposed to be it, and horrible of this was the backstory for a video game " At least we've avoided the last option. (A lot of the setup did feel like justifying mmo mechanics.)

Yeah, I came to roughly the same conclusion, except for the part about video games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bhodi posted:

So anyway, I'm a complete sucker for the hero's journey, a character's growth in personality and in their ability to affect the world, and story arcs with increasing scope. I absolutely devoured a series called Cradle over the past week, which is at it's heart a bunch of conventional tropes and wushu stories mashed up together and stirred up. Weak but determined boy from provincial town goes on adventures, grows stronger, overcomes local obstacles and gets noticed by larger and larger players which continue to throw him into escalating power struggles while introducing him to the wider world. This series absolutely leans into power escalation by pulling back the scope and moving him to a larger pond each time he grows in size. Obviously there's got to be an ending at some point but the main character seems to go up one tick on the in-series power scale per book and there are still plenty of ticks to go with hints of stuff beyond the known top.

Xianxia in general does seem to be a pretty mature genre though it seems to be mostly in comic/manga/serial type formats. While I think it's very silly that every climax is some sort of anime duel and countries decide unreasonable amounts of public policy with tournaments, it's definitely something different in a good way. Now I need more.

Goons mostly discuss xianxia over in the Web Novel thread, with it spilling over every once in a while into the web serial thread. The genre can pulpy serial fun, IMO, and I personally enjoy it as light-weight wish fulfillment and as a look into Chinese culture.

If you want some recs, Cultivation Chat Group is probably the best written of the bunch, a very fun slice-of-life sitcom-y cultivation story set in modern China. Release That Witch is a rather captivating guy-ends-up-in-a-different-world-and-starts-industrializing-it tale, even if the translation, unfortunately, fluctuates from subpar to actively bad. Library of Heaven's Path is a somewhat one-note, but usually fairly amusing xianxia sitcom that consists entirely of the incredibly overpowered trickster protagonist bamboozling, conning and slapping face of rivals and foes (face being somewhat of an obsession for the Chinese) over and over again, for, like, five War and Peaces' worth of text. And A Will Eternal is a more traditional xianxia tale (still with a fair bit of comedy in it) the first four Books of which are rather good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I finished* the third Baru book today :unsmith: It will still need loads of editing but it's a nice milestone, especially after that stupid lovely second one took so many years.

:neckbeard:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Post it.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

pospysyl posted:

The Sturgeon Award nominations for science fiction stories came out a few weeks ago, and I finally got around to checking them out. They usually do a great job of picking out some great stories, and it's usually a good preview for what will show up in the Hugos.

Here are the ones I recommend:

"Nine Last Days on Planet Earth," by Daryl Gregory: A coming of age story of a scientist. The science fictional aspects of the story cover some familiar territory (strange plants from outer space threaten life on Earth), but there's a creativity to how these plants are described that doesn't show up in its peers and allows you to connect with the actual scientific wonder that it's trying to convey. There's also a political relevance in how the plants are treated. They're objects of curiosity, but their threat to the environment slowly builds over the course of decades. Despite the title, the story is quite optimistic, but nails quite a few moods. Highly recommended, and very likely to win the Hugo for novellette.

“When Robot and Crow Saved East St. Louis," by Annalee Newitz: A very cute story about a disease control robot. It takes a left turn that is very much in keeping with the robotic science fiction sub-genre, and there's a lot of good humor and some keen insights.

“On the Day You Spend Forever with Your Dog," by Adam Shannon: A scientist discovers a very prosaic form of time travel and uses it to spend time with his dog. It reads like dog-lover bait, but it invites a subversive oppositional reading. It's part of a tradition of science fiction I love that explores an idea and the nuances of how it would affect human behavior in a way that goes beyond the superficial. My favorite story of the bunch.

“Yard Dog," by Tade Thompson: This one you have to pay for, but the magazine is definitely worth the 4 bucks. Thompson is one of the best prose stylists in the genre today, and this story really shows off his skills. It's just so cool while still pulling off a sinister vibe.

As for the others, the Gilman, Heller, and Lee stories are good if you like a lot of creative but clunky exposition (the Lee story features a faction of antagonists known as "the Fleet Lords", which I think sums it up), and the Clark piece is quite vivid and evocative, but is maybe a little too pointed. The Bolander and Robson are novellas that you need to buy. I read the Amazon previews and they seem fine, but they're not to my taste. The Beckett story is good, but you have to buy the issue of F&SF along with it, which is mostly mediocre.

Thanks, I always forget about the Sturgeons. So do a lot of people I guess. I already read the dog one and Robot and Crow and they are both quite good, in very different ways. The idea in Robot of cute little health-checker drones asking people how they're feeling is adorable and I'm glad the author largely went with the cuteness angle, because we already know what Amazon Health would do with that kind of data. Also I liked the characterization of the crows a lot, and the way they read very much as speakers in translation.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I finished* the third Baru book today

You flirt.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

General Battuta posted:

Yay! I'm sure it will be all sunshine and puppies and hugs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

Got a title yet? It's not finished until you have a title.

Re: FTL - my favourite quote on the subject is from Ray Bradbury, who simply said "There are rockets in my stories. You don't need to know how they work."

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Got the new G Willow Wilson from the library and I'm hype.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I like Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space inertia-suppressing 'FTL' where if you try to do it it inevitably not only fails but has a good chance of retroactively erasing you (and possibly your entire species) from existence. Good and spooky. IIRC that setting's slower-than-light engines were powered by wormholes connected back to the moment of the Big Bang, which always seemed like a bit of overkill...

Congrats! I'm excited to see the finished product.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

I loved it so much. I also saw her read from/talk about it last night with NK Jemisin, which made me love it even more. I suspect NYPL might post a recording of the talk here soonish.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ben Nevis posted:

I really liked Alif the Unseen. I hope this is comparable in quality.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1108716824689078272

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ben Nevis posted:

GWW launched a new indie comic series either this week or last, if you didn't already know.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The VanderMeers put together good anthologies, but man, that is an astoundingly unattractive book cover

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

graphic design is my passion

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I was going to say that he really nailed the look of fantasy paperbacks of that era: the font, the art style: it's dead on.

I instantly got what he was trying to signal, but it's not exactly eye-catching for today's audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Do I need the first culture book to read player of games?