Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Powershift posted:

What the gently caress is the alternative for somebody in Alberta at this point

Your provincial government is not your identity. I'm not Doug Ford and you're not going to be Jason Kenney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EngineerJoe posted:

Your provincial government is not your identity. I'm not Doug Ford and you're not going to be Jason Kenney.

Not empty quoting.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

EngineerJoe posted:

On this note, I'm thinking of getting an early start on some PARENTS SUPPORT TEACHERS agit prop for the surely coming Ontario teachers strike this September.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I've typed a couple of responses to this but they all come our sounding like I'm giving unsolicited advice to the depressed, so I'll just say I also enjoy this philosophy.

I take it one step further in that I've found the things that give me happy moments and made them weekly or daily routines.

This is something thing I like about my current therapist: he accepts that I'm never going to be fixed or completely happy and life has bad parts. Sometimes life just feels bad, and that's okay. It's harder to deal with with sadbrains, but it's never not gonna be there. The hard work of therapy and recovery is giving me the tools to deal with the bad moments, not accepting that they won't happen - and making as many good parts, and making them as consistent, as I can. So yeah, build yourself up and work on making life as good as you can. That's all you can do. That's all any of us can do. And if I can do it, you can too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

The provincial government is keeping me alive right now between doctors, financial support, and $5000+/month in medications through programs Kenney is likely to gut or cripple out of spite.

I didn't comment much on the Chairmaster situation because I'm largely in the same place and don't really have anything positive to add to that. Now I'm looking at the almost certain election of a government that is going to seriously hinder any chance of recovery.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the last good premier of Québec also killed a woman while driving drunk and was never charged

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Rime posted:

The GND is a worthless handout to establishment interests and does nothing more than maintain the status quo of modern society. To avoid extinction we require a green revolution, which alters society as radically and rapidly as the industrial revolution or renaissance. :colbert:

The ideas we specifically discussed in person were (1) no subsidies to fossil fuels, (2) no new fossil fuel infrastructure, (3) plan to drastically reduce fossil fuel use and GHG emissions, (4) just transition to green economy, (5) how to help workers who can't transition, (6) fighting wealth inequality, (7) making oil and mining pay for clean-up, (8) making corporations and the wealthy pay for the aforementioned plan - possibly drafting fiscal law from scratch

I'm not transcribing all the details discussed because my lunchtime is too short.

I'm struggling those see which items above are pandering to the establishment or maintaining the status quo. Or are you trolling me?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pinterest Mom posted:

the last good premier of Québec also killed a woman while driving drunk and was never charged

We really do want to be America, don't we?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

flakeloaf posted:

Pretty innocuous stuff really; it's nothing to get wrapped around the axle over.

Thanks for the information. I only ever heard about the YWN crazy antics from this thread but never followed closely.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's what they said about Patrick Brown.

Patrick Brown got torpedoed by his own party, I'm fairly certain if he had survived as leader he probably would have done just as well as Ford tbh

The problem with the Hilary/Trump election is a bunch of dumbass talking heads convinced themselves they knew better than what polling said and created "Models" that added layers of bullshit on top of polling numbers that convinced themselves of what they thought were true. Internal party polling and polling firms both showed that Clinton was likely to lose in WI, MI and PA and that was unthinkable so they skipped over it and lone and behold the raw numbers were right.

1500quidpoocati posted:

Ahh okay, I’ll just crawl into a hole and die then :rolleyes:

When the Wildrose and PC parties merged Notley's fate was sealed, it's over for the NDP this time. The focus in Alberta should be promoting progressive ideas locally and working bottom up and organizing people. There is a large dedicated base of people who do believe in progressive ideas in that province, but this election will not go their way. They need to continue to add membership and work towards shifting the balance of power over the next several years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

Patrick Brown got torpedoed by his own party, I'm fairly certain if he had survived as leader he probably would have done just as well as Ford tbh

Outside of the Ford specific "gently caress Toronto" policy, I don't think much of what they've passed in that last six months would be meaningfully different had Brown remained leader. It's all bog standard PCPO policy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

When the Wildrose and PC parties merged Notley's fate was sealed, it's over for the NDP this time. The focus in Alberta should be promoting progressive ideas locally and working bottom up and organizing people. There is a large dedicated base of people who do believe in progressive ideas in that province, but this election will not go their way. They need to continue to add membership and work towards shifting the balance of power over the next several years.

This is pretty much my feelings. By all means get out and vote, fight as hard as you can. But do so in the knowledge that the overwhelming probability is that Alberta continues its 25-year trend of the right getting over 50% of the vote and Kenney wins a resounding majority. That doesn't mean your work is for nothing, it means you're fighting the good fight in the long run instead of the short run.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Powershift posted:

What the gently caress is the alternative for somebody in Alberta at this point

Identify individual MLAs worth saving in your area and volunteer. Or barring that get organized to resist budget cuts. Now unfortunately, the Alberta NDP did not pull a Dave Barrett from BC, who drastically changed BC. It is much harder to gin up outrage over role backs to incremental change. You might look to Saskatchewan and the Stop the Cuts, the libraries campaign and Save our Crowns.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I plan to be out volunteering for my local MLA, extra amusingly since Caylan Ford is out of it now (hopefully I can stop being bombarded by her ads on YouTube!), at this point I'm just hoping the NDP can hold on to some seats here in Calgary.

The most heartbreaking thing about this whole situation is that we have the best government we've had in at least 40 years, and they're going to lose because a bunch of people are upset at the general state of the petro-economy and something-something-pipelines. The NDP has done everything in their power to try and help that industry, and it doesn't mean a damned thing, because of course it doesn't, it never does. Shoulda pulled a Dave Barrett indeed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I plan to be out volunteering for my local MLA, extra amusingly since Caylan Ford is out of it now (hopefully I can stop being bombarded by her ads on YouTube!), at this point I'm just hoping the NDP can hold on to some seats here in Calgary.

The most heartbreaking thing about this whole situation is that we have the best government we've had in at least 40 years, and they're going to lose because a bunch of people are upset at the general state of the petro-economy and something-something-pipelines. The NDP has done everything in their power to try and help that industry, and it doesn't mean a damned thing, because of course it doesn't, it never does. Shoulda pulled a Dave Barrett indeed.

It's not even that complex, they just want to vote against the "leftists".

It has never mattered what her policies were or what she accomplished. The province could be booming with $150/barrel oil and the same people would be voting against the NDP for the same reason they are now, because they're on the wrong side of the spectrum.

In my riding in the last election, the NDP got 35.9% to the PC's 27.6% and Wildrose's 24.6% The election before that, the PCs and Wildrose split 78% of the vote.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

All true. I cringe every time Kenney says that the UCP is the "Free Enterprise party," and people just eat that poo poo up. The NDP are apparently just straight up communists to most Albertans.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

All true. I cringe every time Kenney says that the UCP is the "Free Enterprise party," and people just eat that poo poo up. The NDP are apparently just straight up communists to most Albertans.

That's the same language the BC Libs and Sask Party use, it's part of the anti-NDP playbook in the west, not just an Alberta thing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

People will take a corrupt shitwit for a leader if they're convinced he's their economic Moses.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This revolution makes perfect common sense. WCGW

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-from-human-rights-to-film-to-politics-caylan-ford-is-a-force-of-nature posted:

And now Ford is embarking on a new challenge as she’s running for the United Conservative Party nomination in Calgary-Mountain View — doing her door-knocking sometimes with Anora strapped to her front.

Why is she choosing politics?

“I love public policy and I love people,” she says, simply.

“When I was in the federal government I was on the civil service side and you recognize in that role that the real decision-making power is held at the political level and you see the difference between having political leaders who are capable and have a sound vision of what they want to accomplish and those who don’t. So that drives home the importance of having really good people stepping forward to run for office.”

Ford recognizes that “most normal, sane people wouldn’t do it,” she says with a chuckle.

“What kind of person wants to run for office, where everything that they say and do is scrutinized in the worst possible way?” she says. “There are so many assumptions of bad faith.

“To have your views wilfully misstated and misconstrued, it would be infuriating but then if good, normal, decent people don’t step forward then you are just ceding that ground to those who seek power for its own sake,” she explained.

“We can’t let the trolls win,” pipes in Jared, 38, with a laugh.

So, about that...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The federal budget did have this hidden away in it, omitted from most commentary:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/personal-finance/article-federal-budget-2019-eight-ways-the-budget-will-affect-your-personal/ posted:

High-income people who receive employee stock options: The tax break on stock options will be limited for employees of larger, mature companies (not startups), with an annual cap of $200,000 on stock options eligible for preferential tax treatment.

That's very targeted towards not very many people as a symbolic "see, we're taxing the rich!"... Those people will sure be cranky about it.

(I book a bunch of options income every year, but not 200k of it! No harm, no foul!)

James Baud fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 19, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Why on earth is there an exemption for startups?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powershift posted:

It's not even that complex, they just want to vote against the "leftists".

It has never mattered what her policies were or what she accomplished. The province could be booming with $150/barrel oil and the same people would be voting against the NDP for the same reason they are now, because they're on the wrong side of the spectrum.

In my riding in the last election, the NDP got 35.9% to the PC's 27.6% and Wildrose's 24.6% The election before that, the PCs and Wildrose split 78% of the vote.

I know you're needing to wallow in negativity, and poo poo is clearly bad, but a drop from 78% to only 52% support for the conservatives is a pretty big step in the right direction, no?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Why on earth is there an exemption for startups?

Because HootSuite and SkipTheDishes are the future duh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Right, so they may as well pay their fair share.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone in Manitoba get that latest amber alert?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Anyone in Manitoba get that latest amber alert?

My cell has been silent although I didn't get the last one either

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Amber alert just went out for a kid in Markham. Really hoping the outcome this time isn't so tragic.

e: I'm seeing articles about the abduction from an hour ago. I guess they widened the radius of the alert just now.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 19, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Amber alert just went out for a kid in Markham. Really hoping the outcome this time isn't so tragic.

e: I'm seeing articles about the abduction from an hour ago. I guess they widened the radius of the alert just now.

And this one didn't go off at nuclear alert levels! Win-win for everyone. I hope they find the kid safe and sound.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

We recently had one in Alberta as well: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/amber-alert-declared-successful-1.5059873

With a similar amount of grumbling about it: https://www.narcity.com/ca/ab/edmonton/news/canadians-complaining-after-being-woken-up-by-amber-alert-issued-for-8-year-old-alberta-boy

I got the first one (on a sensible level of priority, vibrate-only) around 10PM, but then got woken up at 5:30AM when it got sent out again, apparently upon the alert being lifted. Not the end of the world but I really don't understand that second one. Fairly sympathetic to the 'why don't you just text us, if I'm asleep I'm not going to be able to help anyway' crowd.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Arivia posted:

And this one didn't go off at nuclear alert levels!
Yes...yes, it did.

Public Safety Canada posted:

When you're getting those alerts, your life is at risk.
Has any of these alerts in Canada actually been related to a threat to public safety yet?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I found someone on the forums who knows ChairMaster's first name, and I also knew his birthday and university. I think that's enough info for the police to find him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Yes...yes, it did.

Has any of these alerts in Canada actually been related to a threat to public safety yet?

I'm pretty sure there's still only the one level of alert implemented here.

And in Ontario at least, to my knowledge it hasn't yet been used for anything other than amber alerts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure there's still only the one level of alert implemented here.

And in Ontario at least, to my knowledge it hasn't yet been used for anything other than amber alerts.

Oh, mine just vibrated and gave me a big popup this time. gently caress the police and their lovely system, then.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

We've had them used for extreme weather warnings and tornado warnings in Edmonton during the summer in the past couple years.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

No alert here.

MB btw

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lightning Knight posted:

I found someone on the forums who knows ChairMaster's first name, and I also knew his birthday and university. I think that's enough info for the police to find him.

Thank you for the update

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Amber Alert kid found safe and sound https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/03/19/york-police-say-markham-man-has-abducted-his-5-year-old-daughter-from-school.html

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
No budget talk? Homebuyer's plan up to 35K instead of 25K and the CMHC will help sponsor mortgages which surely won't just skyrocket the loving cost more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The most important thing we can do about the housing crisis in this country is just give people more access to debt. Ultimately everyone needs money to afford a home, so if we just let them get more money the market will sort things out.

"The CMHC , money for people"