Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Cool, thx for taking the time to explain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for the explanation about the stock option. I suspect that the officers of the company can't just sell the shares as soon as they exercise the option.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sperglord posted:

Thanks for the explanation about the stock option. I suspect that the officers of the company can't just sell the shares as soon as they exercise the option.

They can if they aren’t under a blackout period or if they aren’t trading on any material knowledge.

Frequently they will have their accountant determine a sales schedule ahead of time that they stick to regardless. That way no one can claim they acted on insider information.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah they take time to vest so when you get an award it gets split up and you receive like 1/5th every year for five years.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Ok so on this Facebook group, there's an increasing regularity of posts of AF/Guard units asking for or offering tanker support for cross country flights and training and what not. WTF? Is this the newly discovered funny thing to do, or is the relevant military system that broken that this is an actual convenience?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2019

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Considering the outcome of the VW scandal, this should end up with quite a few jail sentences for Boeing management. But has the VW treatment been unusually severe? I couldn't find info about sentences with Ford Pinto.

Maybe certification should be outsourced. EAA certifies Boeing planes, FAA certifies Airbuses, either of them certifies manufacturers from remaining countries. The national agency is under too much pressure and influence to be trusted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Ok so on this Facebook group, there's an increasing regularity of posts of AF/Guard units asking for or offering tanker support for cross country flights and training and what not. WTF? Is this the newly discovered funny thing to do, or is the relevant military system that broken that this is an actual convenience?

Both are equally likely.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Considering the outcome of the VW scandal, this should end up with quite a few jail sentences for Boeing management. But has the VW treatment been unusually severe? I couldn't find info about sentences with Ford Pinto.

Maybe certification should be outsourced. EAA certifies Boeing planes, FAA certifies Airbuses, either of them certifies manufacturers from remaining countries. The national agency is under too much pressure and influence to be trusted.

You're joking, right? VW willfully and premeditatively built a system into their cars for the sole purpose of deliberately contravening government regulations, across multiple jurisdictions. Lobbying the FAA to be allowed to do in house certification testing, and then apparently half-assing it is nowhere near the same level of fuckery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, except for the resulting 300 deaths.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vessbot posted:

AR is a qual and a perishable skill just like everything else; pilots need a certain number of plugs in a given period to remain current and boom operators probably have a similar requirement on the other end. Setting up a tanker hit during a cross country seems like a convenient way to get that training as well as saving the trouble of stopping for gas somewhere.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Wingnut Ninja posted:

AR is a qual and a perishable skill just like everything else; pilots need a certain number of plugs in a given period to remain current and boom operators probably have a similar requirement on the other end. Setting up a tanker hit during a cross country seems like a convenient way to get that training as well as saving the trouble of stopping for gas somewhere.

No I completely get that, it's the same concept as a ton of things in civilian flying. My question is, why is this being arranged via a Facebook networking group?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Ooooh. Yeah. Probably the same reason we got official hurrevac instructions via the base's Facebook page last fall.

If I had to take a semi serious guess, given how often military commands have turnover, it's very easy to lose the institutional knowledge of "oh yeah, call these guys next time you're doing a cross country and they'll hook you up". But if there's a social media group with a lot of those people in it, you may reach some useful contacts that way. :shrug:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finger Prince posted:

You're joking, right? VW willfully and premeditatively built a system into their cars for the sole purpose of deliberately contravening government regulations, across multiple jurisdictions. Lobbying the FAA to be allowed to do in house certification testing, and then apparently half-assing it is nowhere near the same level of fuckery.

Yeah, there is a big difference between doing something badly and working really hard to avoid laws

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Stories from the aviation museum: today I got to say "you see Fidel Castro on a toboggan? Over there."

Also got an old person legend. In World War 2 (I mean, hopefully) a squadron [flight? - ambiguious] of Hurricanes were trying to get to Newfoundland Airbase, during the night, in the winter, with piss-poor visibility. Finding the airbase was made harder because, apparently, they were under blackout. The flight reported they were over Norris Arm (community aprox. 50 km west of Gander, so they were almost there. Then, nothing. They just vanished, with no sign ever found of them.

One theory behind what happened is Gander Lake got them. So, next to Gander (nee Newfoundland Airbase) is a lake, not all that wide, but extremely long and deep. While working at the museum, I found the only sounding survey map ever made for it, and most of its length it about ~200 meters (700 ft) deep, even though it's only about 2 km or so wide. (You may remember talking about a lost B-24 in it; I've been talking with the guy who's looking for it. He's apparently coming back this spring with a proper towfish sidescan sonar. But he sent me this photo, so you get the idea:)

Anyway, because of this depth, the lake has two interesting features. One is that the water in it circulates vertically where it is deep, with cold water moving beneath slightly less cold water. In the winter this means water nestled at the depths becomes warmer than the water being chilled on the surface. The second interesting fact is that this cycle means the lake rarely freezes over, and if it does, the ice in the middle is always extremely thin

Do you see where this tale is going

One theory as to where those Hurricanes vanished to is that they mistook an ice and possibly slightly snow-covered Gander Lake as Newfoundland Airbase, and landed there, only to all go through the ice

My tale-teller also confessed (and I've actually heard variants of this more than once) he had an old machine gun, likely .50 cal, that he salvaged from one of the many WW2 aircraft wrecks around Gander. While he'd deactivated it somehow (blocking the firing pin) he cut it up a few years ago, as holding onto a machine gun that you found in the woods is frowned upon by the RCMP

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Stories from the aviation museum: today I got to say "you see Fidel Castro on a toboggan? Over there."

Were you the Goon who did the RB-36 hike recently? I moved to St John's this past January, and I want to do it and have questions. I don't have PMs but I'll get it if I need them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vessbot posted:

I'd be very surprised if tankers aren't as heavily tasked as they have been for the past...25 years or so. I guess it could be the case, but as late as last May they were turning down joint exercises due to an overabundance of requirements.

Edit: That only addresses offering. Asking...man, you gotta beg, borrow, or steal AR support by almost any means necessary if you're not Red Flag, the Weapons School, or deploying aircraft overseas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of museums, I visited the RAF Museum in Colindale last week and it was pretty great. Definitely one of the better museums I've been to when it comes to WW1-era craft. Always nice to see a Lancaster in person too. I've now been to IWM Duxford (still my favorite, absolutely incredible), IWM London, HMS Belfast, and RAF Colindale, so I think RAF Cosford and IWM Manchester are the last two major UK museums left for me to visit.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Museum chat, the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton, Ontario is really good, especially in the warmer months when you can wander around outside checking out all the static display aircraft. There is a Halifax bomber that was raised from a lake in Norway after sitting on the bottom for 50 years. It was lovingly restored and is now absolutely marvelous to look at. They're also slowly restoring a Lancaster but that'll be years before it's done.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bring back flight engineers IMO:

"https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-19/how-an-extra-man-in-cockpit-saved-a-737-max-that-later-crashed posted:

As the Lion Air crew fought to control their diving Boeing Co. 737 Max 8, they got help from an unexpected source: an off-duty pilot who happened to be riding in the cockpit.

That extra pilot, who was seated in the cockpit jumpseat, correctly diagnosed the problem and told the crew how to disable a malfunctioning flight-control system and save the plane, according to two people familiar with Indonesia’s investigation.

The next day, under command of a different crew facing what investigators said was an identical malfunction, the jetliner crashed into the Java Sea killing all 189 aboard.

“All the data and information that we have on the flight and the aircraft have been submitted to the Indonesian NTSC. We can’t provide additional comment at this stage due the ongoing investigation on the accident,” Lion Air spokesman Danang Prihantoro said by phone.

The Indonesia safety committee report said the plane had had multiple failures on previous flights and hadn’t been properly repaired.

Representatives for Boeing and the Indonesian safety committee declined to comment on the earlier flight.

Boeing’s 737 Max was grounded March 13 by U.S. regulators after similarities to the Oct. 29 Lion Air crash emerged in the investigation of the March 10 crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302. In the wake of the two accidents, questions have emerged about how Boeing’s design of the new 737 model were approved. The Transportation Department’s inspector general is conducting a review of how the plane was certified to fly and a grand jury under the U.S. Justice Department is also seeking records in a possible criminal probe of the plane’s certification.

The FAA last week said it planned to mandate changes in the system to make it less likely to activate when there is no emergency. The agency and Boeing said they are also going to require additional training and references to it in flight manuals.

“We will fully cooperate in the review in the Department of Transportation’s audit,” Boeing spokesman Charles Bickers said in an email. The company has declined to comment on the criminal probe.

After the Lion Air crash, two U.S. pilots’ unions said the potential risks of the system, known as the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, or MCAS, hadn’t been sufficiently spelled out in their manuals or training. None of the documentation for the Max aircraft included an explanation, the union leaders said.

“We don’t like that we weren’t notified,’’ Jon Weaks, president of the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association, said in November. “It makes us question, ‘Is that everything, guys?’ I would hope there are no more surprises out there.’’

The Allied Pilots Association union at American Airlines Group Inc. also said details about the system weren’t included in the documentation about the plane.

Following the Lion Air crash, the FAA required Boeing to notify airlines about the system and Boeing sent a bulletin to all customers flying the Max reminding them how to disable it in an emergency.

Why Indonesian Plane Crash Has Led to U.S. Lawsuits: QuickTake

Authorities have released few details about Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 other than it flew a “very similar” track as the Lion Air planes and then dove sharply into the ground. There have been no reports of maintenance issues with the Ethiopian Airlines plane before its crash.

If the same issue is also found to have helped bring down Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, one of the most vexing questions crash investigators and aviation safety consultants are asking is why the pilots on that flight didn’t perform the checklist that disables the system.

“After this horrific Lion Air accident, you’d think that everyone flying this airplane would know that’s how you turn this off,” said Steve Wallace, the former director of the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration’s accident investigation branch.

The combination of factors required to bring down a plane in these circumstances suggests other issues may also have occurred in the Ethiopia crash, said Jeffrey Guzzetti, who also directed accident investigations at FAA and is now a consultant.

“It’s simply implausible that this MCAS deficiency by itself can down a modern jetliner with a trained crew,” Guzzetti said.

MCAS is driven by a single sensor near the nose that measures the so-called angle of attack, or whether air is flowing parallel to the length of the fuselage or at an angle. On the Lion Air flights, the angle-of-attack sensor had failed and was sending erroneous readings indicating the plane’s nose was pointed dangerously upward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bull3964 posted:

Well, except for the resulting 300 deaths.

VW killed plenty of people, too.

They just killed them in a nebulous manner.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

VW killed plenty of people, too.

They just killed them in a nebulous manner.

I don't think there are any deaths caused by VWs emission scamming, but the lesson is still: when businesses self-regulate, they immediately gently caress it up to boost profits. Businesses should be regulated hard as hell and crooked CEOs should be punished harder than drug dealers.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

I don't think there are any deaths caused by VWs emission scamming, but the lesson is still: when businesses self-regulate, they immediately gently caress it up to boost profits. Businesses should be regulated hard as hell and crooked CEOs should be punished harder than drug dealers.

Researchers at MIT think VW’s emissions cheating will lead to 1200 premature deaths in Europe.

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-emissions-premature-deaths-europe-0303

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

St_Ides posted:

Were you the Goon who did the RB-36 hike recently? I moved to St John's this past January, and I want to do it and have questions. I don't have PMs but I'll get it if I need them.

No, that was someone else. I remember the two bits of advice they gave me, though: the actual parking lot for the hiking trail is easy to miss, and the road between Clarenville and the spot is stupendously awful. As for getting there, there's a tourist info site on the trans-Canada which should be able to guide you.

You should get PMs, tho. I've not done the hike either, maybe we could arrange some sort of goonhike?

Also, scanned that 1950s DC-8 manual, if anybody knows of a good site for posting PDFs with download links, I'll post it there.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, scanned that 1950s DC-8 manual, if anybody knows of a good site for posting PDFs with download links, I'll post it there.

Post it on Scribd

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

done

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Death Star trench run IRL:

https://twitter.com/CcibChris/status/1107695967535579142

The Corinth Canal is just over 21 meters wide.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 20, 2019

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Ola posted:

VW wasn't self-regulating (it designed its cars to defeat independent 3rd party testing), and I have yet to see a reason that the FAA would have caught something that Boeing didn't. As it happens, Boeing has already faced a severe financial penalty for the safety of the 737 MAX, which they never would have intentionally put themselves at risk of receiving.

In fact Boeing isn't really self-regulating either, in the sense that it is clearly still accountable to external regulators.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
VW also tested their car emissions on monkeys who probably died early too.

Aviation related, have a timelapse of heathrow approaches: https://youtu.be/pw5Om1zLBIA

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 20, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

drunkill posted:

VW also tested their car emissions on monkeys who probably died early too.

wow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

VW wasn't self-regulating (it designed its cars to defeat independent 3rd party testing), and I have yet to see a reason that the FAA would have caught something that Boeing didn't. As it happens, Boeing has already faced a severe financial penalty for the safety of the 737 MAX, which they never would have intentionally put themselves at risk of receiving.

In fact Boeing isn't really self-regulating either, in the sense that it is clearly still accountable to external regulators.

Boeing incorrectly categorized the MCAS system as something that couldn't bring down the plane which allowed them to use only a single sensor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Death Star trench run IRL:

https://twitter.com/CcibChris/status/1107695967535579142

The Corinth Canal is just over 21 meters wide.

https://i.imgur.com/QPz1hjm.gifv

http://www.modellingnews.gr/el/&#95...5-kinetic-148-0

(from the twitter comments)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Reminds me of when Russia tried to pass off a satellite photo of a Ukrainian fighter shooting down that airliner as authentic, and the fighter could be seen perfectly as if it were hanging completely still in the air.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sulphagnist posted:

Reminds me of when Russia tried to pass off a satellite photo of a Ukrainian fighter shooting down that airliner as authentic, and the fighter could be seen perfectly as if it were hanging completely still in the air.

It was the Su-27 from Flaming Cliffs 2, and the way they hosed up the scale, the Su-27 was something like 3-4 times the size of the 777.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I want to believe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was the Su-27 from Flaming Cliffs 2, and the way they hosed up the scale, the Su-27 was something like 3-4 times the size of the 777.

I think it was a Su-25, because I remember they chose a ground attack plane that cannot even reach airliner cruise altitude, or at least not with a conscious, living pilot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I want to believe

I think it was a Su-25, because I remember they chose a ground attack plane that cannot even reach airliner cruise altitude, or at least not with a conscious, living pilot.

Russia *claimed* it was an Su-25, then put this image out there:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hoddy-fake.html

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Russia *claimed* it was an Su-25, then put this image out there:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hoddy-fake.html
As I recall, they were then rebuffed by no less than the general designer of the Su-25 who apparently hadn't got the memo.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, that was someone else. I remember the two bits of advice they gave me, though: the actual parking lot for the hiking trail is easy to miss, and the road between Clarenville and the spot is stupendously awful. As for getting there, there's a tourist info site on the trans-Canada which should be able to guide you.

You should get PMs, tho. I've not done the hike either, maybe we could arrange some sort of goonhike?

I'd be up for that. I'll figure out how to get them soon. My biggest concern is if I can make it up the road in a stock Impreza, or if I need a 4wd.

Thanks, I'll give a shout when I get them.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

St_Ides posted:

I'd be up for that. I'll figure out how to get them soon. My biggest concern is if I can make it up the road in a stock Impreza, or if I need a 4wd.

Thanks, I'll give a shout when I get them.

Subaru made a car that doesn't have 4wd?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ardeem posted:

Subaru made a car that doesn't have 4wd?

The BRZ roadster is RWD only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Some of their cars can be had FWD only as well.