Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There were some astonishingly bad ideas conceived during the cold war. It takes a special kind of mind to design a rocket so insane it eclipses one with fuel based on dimethylmercury.

That, btw, supposedly got deliberately "leaked" to the Soviets after the US decided the rocket itself was a terrible idea, in the hope they'd try to replicate it. Worst case, they waste money looking into it then abandoning the concept. Best case, they accidentally kill a shitload of rocket engineers. Cool War as gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wait so it sprays nuclear salt-laden water everywhere it flies? That's some Captain Planet villain poo poo right there lmao

Well, it's vaporized by the heat of the atomic explosion by the time it gets out of the nozzle, but, uh, yeah essentially. Maybe not a great technology to use in a biosphere (like, say, Earth). If you needed to give something a real big shove in space, though...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wait so it sprays nuclear salt-laden water everywhere it flies? That's some Captain Planet villain poo poo right there lmao

This is why you use it for interplanetary transfer stages and deep-space missions and not for launches, yeah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"These rockets are very phallic, but are they phallic enough?"

"How about we fill them with a salty fluid that sprays everywhere?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

FactsAreUseless posted:

"These rockets are very phallic, but are they phallic enough?"

"How about we fill them with a salty fluid that sprays everywhere?"

Also infect everything with a terrible wasting diaease.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Outrail posted:

Also infect everything with a terrible wasting diaease.
NASA having to call up every planet they visited and have a real awkward convo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ToxicFrog posted:

This is why you use it for interplanetary transfer stages and deep-space missions and not for launches, yeah.

That wasn't the plan for it though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

oh okay, I admit I didn't read any articles and was just going off the description. I assumed it was for poo poo like ICBMs and hypersonic cruise missiles or some poo poo

and honestly no matter what that tech would've probably found its way over to those applications so :shepface:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh okay, I admit I didn't read any articles and was just going off the description. I assumed it was for poo poo like ICBMs and hypersonic cruise missiles or some poo poo

and honestly no matter what that tech would've probably found its way over to those applications so :shepface:

Yeah, someone designed that. Project Pluto wasn't NSWR, but an unshielded nuclear ramjet powering a gigantic low-altitude supersonic missile, carrying 16 warheads to be dropped off like bus passengers, and then some complete rear end in a top hat suggested that when the warheads were gone, the missile itself could do donuts over its target, belching out irradiated exhaust for days.

It's a good thing we figured out regular ICBMs so we didn't have to do that, huh!

(Project Pluto is like the story about the hook-hand killer, but for physicists, engineers, and Cold War nerds.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phy posted:

then some complete rear end in a top hat suggested that when the warheads were gone, the missile itself could do donuts over its target, belching out irradiated exhaust for days.

IIRC they came up with that plan only after realizing that the thing had no off switch nor any feasible way to add one. The least insane alternative would be to ditch it in a deep ocean trench but if you've gotten to the point that you have to put either of those plans into action I doubt there would be anyone left to care which it was.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phy posted:

Yeah, someone designed that. Project Pluto wasn't NSWR, but an unshielded nuclear ramjet powering a gigantic low-altitude supersonic missile, carrying 16 warheads to be dropped off like bus passengers, and then some complete rear end in a top hat suggested that when the warheads were gone, the missile itself could do donuts over its target, belching out irradiated exhaust for days.

It's a good thing we figured out regular ICBMs so we didn't have to do that, huh!

(Project Pluto is like the story about the hook-hand killer, but for physicists, engineers, and Cold War nerds.)

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I assumed the NSWR's purpose

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

That wasn't the plan for it though

How was it not? Zubrin's paper talks exclusively about using it for maneuvers in space (the sample mission used for comparison is a manned return mission to Titan, with the NSWR used for departure from and return to Earth orbit; it assumes the vehicles start out in LEO and cites the NSWR's lower "initial mass to LEO" as one of its benefits). Section 6 ("Fuel and Radioactivity") mentions the radiation hazard inherent in the exhaust plume, but also points out that as long as you avoid pointing it at Earth it won't stick around to be a hazard, and if people are still concerned you could use a normal NTR to do the initial orbital departure and fire up the NSWR once you're in translunar space:

NUCLEAR SALT WATER ROCKETS: HIGH THRUST AT 10,000 SEC ISP posted:

The exhaust of the NSWR is highly radioactive, as no attempt has been made to retain the fission products within the engine, however, with an exhaust velocity of 66 km/s, the radioactive products are emitted with a velocity far exceeding the escape velocity of the Earth and, providing the engine was directed to thrust perpendicular to the radial vector connecting the spacecraft in LEO to the Earth's centre (i.e. tangent to the direction of circular orbital velocity), the amount of contaminant reaching the Earth could be insignificant. It is thus appropriate to contemplate using the NSWR for LEO departure. Of course, if public concern prevented such an application, NSWRs could still be used on high energy missions by boosting the spacecraft first to a hyperbolic excess velocity of say 3 km/s with an NTR, and then firing the NSWR a 4 days later when the spacecraft was a million kilometres away from Earth.

No mention is made of using it for launches, only for "high energy deep space missions".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Huh. I had a saved post from forty days ago.

Old post. Dune thread has a fun new gimmick:

Communist Walrus posted:

These are my awards, mother. From Sardaukar. The thorse is for swordsmanship and the chairdog is for sandworm racing.

New post. Still Dune.

kiimo posted:

In his later years Frank mastered the ancient Bene Perveret method of typing with one hand.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ToxicFrog posted:

How was it not? Zubrin's paper talks exclusively about using it for maneuvers in space (the sample mission used for comparison is a manned return mission to Titan, with the NSWR used for departure from and return to Earth orbit; it assumes the vehicles start out in LEO and cites the NSWR's lower "initial mass to LEO" as one of its benefits). Section 6 ("Fuel and Radioactivity") mentions the radiation hazard inherent in the exhaust plume, but also points out that as long as you avoid pointing it at Earth it won't stick around to be a hazard, and if people are still concerned you could use a normal NTR to do the initial orbital departure and fire up the NSWR once you're in translunar space:

No mention is made of using it for launches, only for "high energy deep space missions".

I got it mixed up with Project Pluto

Phy posted:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Screaming Idiot posted:

He should unironically contact them. If they can make fifty variations "generic grizzled white dude" for TWD/ Breaking Bad/whatever, they can make one for the guy whose website helped to sink the world to the level of half-assed cyberpunk it is now.

The internet did make us stupid.

they made super trooper ones but they only wanted to do farva and thorny but because mac does the merchandise for broken lizard they had to make one of him to. they finally did rabbit and the rookie after super troopers 2. my point is they will do lowtax but only if he is the merch man for sa.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

CFS: So, judging by the reaction I got in PYF, pea soup doesn't come in sausage form in America? You guys are weird.

my bitter bi rival posted:

mmmm a nice slice of soup. truly america is the backwards place.

Jerry 'milk spoiler' cotton is a forums treasure.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

value-brand cereal posted:

I have no idea when or if he is shitposting, and I honestly do not care. :allears:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
i too enjoy the tomato frog man

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

i too enjoy the tomato frog man

It's a bear, you fool, you idiot!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The orion platform is unironically my favourite 'let's apply physics to a problem ok done' problem solving exersize. I really hope it becomes a reality (preferably when we develop non irradiating mega bombs or on other planets or something).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Outrail posted:

The orion platform is unironically my favourite 'let's apply physics to a problem ok done' problem solving exersize. I really hope it becomes a reality (preferably when we develop non irradiating mega bombs or on other planets or something).

If you haven't read Footfall by Larry Niven, I highly recommend it for the Orion sequence at the end.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Len posted:

Without a doubt

MrUnderbridge posted:

That coffin looks like it was made with a cooler.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

It does have an ice cold Yeungling in it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I think it literally was a cooler, if anyone was wondering

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

God drat

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't know who wrote this but I'm pretty sure it came from the forums so please enjoy as I have enjoyed.

quote:

The Viper has actually done us a major service in removing the kind of people who would own a Viper from public society. When the car was announced they appeared unbidden at the gates of Dodge dealerships across the country, rubbing their blood-stained hands against the immaculate window glass until a salesman came outside and taught them how to use a door.

Wild-eyed, these men first attempted to pay for their factory hot rods with clusters of pulled hair and bloody teeth before pulling out inexplicable sums of money from their dragon-like hoard of cash, saturated with the tang of human blood to the point that it dripped crimson trails onto the manicured industrial-estate tile flooring. Innocent salesmen who went along with them for the test drive “for insurance purposes” returned shaken, mute, with white hair and permanently dilated pupils, unable to share their tale of the horrors that ensued on that fateful use of the dealer plate. Normal people would never attend the Dodge dealership to witness these vehicles, being perfectly happy to gaze at them from an aesthetic perspective before plopping down an outsize credit note on lifted minivan after lifted minivan, continuing on with their life and never descending into the kind of purestrain madness that would promote the purchase of a Viper.

Seemingly unemployed, these Viper owners wreaked havoc across the nation, dragging their RT/10s on our highways and byways before locating and docking with the nearest tree to the dealership. Those who survived their high-speed Viper crash were reborn in a baptism of fire, taking these broken men and giving us new, hardened, experienced psychopaths who immediately set out to purchase a second generation Viper when it became available. Despite the Dodge, for years America was helpless, crippled with fear of these dearborists, and our economy collapsed to the point that the Europeans were able to take advantage of our weakened world position, launching savage leveraged takeovers that crippled our most useless corporations, among them the mother of the Viper. The Dodge was struck down, and the Viper was to cease.

The Dodge, under the direction of the Germans, lost its love of terror and spectacle and discontinued the Viper as they instead concentrated on making more lifted minivans to attract the kind of man who would only appreciate the Viper as an abstract spectacle of wealth and power, rather than a direct-engagement three-pedaled suicide machine rendered from brimstone and lubricated with the souls of the damned. The loyalists were lost in the wild, hoarding the few remaining examples from being crashed into trees at high speeds and sequestering them away amongst yachts and period-correct lowboy restorations at a gathering known only as Barrett-Jackson.

Before long the original Viper owner hoard began to thin itself out, and the surviving cars began to depreciate. That’s when they came down from the mountain. Cheap-rear end hobbyists. Clutching Weiand blowers and laughing in their odd high pitch, half-panicked, half-aroused as they eyed what was left of their fiberglass-bodied ankle-burning sex machine. The next age of Viper Terror was among us. The kind of man who would originally buy a new Viper became restless, and they swarmed across Wall Street, launching the world into an orgy of high-risk, violent bets that struck out at the common man. In order to sate their desire for adrenalin and property destruction, these men had gained power and cast the world into economic disaster that destroyed even The Dodge they once embraced.

After many more months of darkness, The Dodge returned. A man who had been to hell and back approached the podium. The Gilles told us of a new Viper - a new promise - and that America would soon be unified under an appreciation for the new Viper. Our nation’s psychos would be comfortably ensconced once again in a faux-luxury hot rod that had a predilection for snap oversteer and brutal triple-digit crashes that atomized the occupants of the car.

America was safe. This time we had learned not to fear the Viper, but to fund it with our governments.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

jesus christ Finland is a devil country.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't know who wrote this but I'm pretty sure it came from the forums so please enjoy as I have enjoyed.

Seat Safety Switch, in some AI megathread.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Freudian posted:

jesus christ Finland is a devil country.

If you think that's bad, click through the quote links to witness squeezable, non aerated cheese, and other monstrosities. Tubed fish eggs. edit: wait here, in case you don't want to scroll up

Hey thanks! I can update my quotes dot xls and have closure. It's a good, quick tale. My fave part is 'pulled hair and bloody teeth'.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only thing that should come in that style of tube is pate

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only thing that should come in that style of tube is pate

I will also accept polenta

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
No food tubes, please. :cry:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I will also accept polenta
I forgot polenta exists, but yes.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No food tubes, please. :cry:
Pate is delicious

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The tube form factor makes it easy to cut your pea soup into slices that you then fry to eat with your oven fries! How is this not a thing elsewhere, the Finn asks.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pate is delicious

I actually don't like pate very much, but usually I see it in cans or jars. Is it sold in tubes most places, and Spain is just weird?

Food tubes remind me of IKEA.

Füd tübs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

I was born to be wild no one can tell me what to do.

QuarkJets posted:

okay but please start showering anyway

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I actually don't like pate very much, but usually I see it in cans or jars. Is it sold in tubes most places, and Spain is just weird?

Food tubes remind me of IKEA.

Füd tübs.
It might just be a US thing, but a lot of brands are sold in something like this:

But I've also seen jars or cans, as well as other plastic packages.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Four slices of hot food huh?

Four slices of hot food huh

Does anybody have that dramatic reading of this where the reader repeatedly loses his poo poo? I wanna say it was on Aramek1 csosx on tindeck before that shut down. "Greased casserole with slices of lemon juice"

E: was it a goon who made this reading? Paladinus?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Mar 20, 2019

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In other news I nearly killed myself yesterday reading somethingawful koans. That whole thread is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

In other news I nearly killed myself yesterday reading somethingawful koans. That whole thread is amazing.

Goddamn I love that thread.