Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

*deeply inhales Finnishly*

Oooooooh, that makes much more sense and is also pretty cool. Yeah by butter knife I mean standard silverware serrated knife thing that people might use at the dinner table.

e:

Patrick Spens posted:

Ok, but I've got one of those on my desk from lunch, and am rubbing it against my hand right now. Somehow blood is not coming out.

ok but i don't want to hear it when you are hemorrhaging hand blood

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Ok, but I've got one of those on my desk from lunch, and am rubbing it against my hand right now. Somehow blood is not coming out.

alright butterfingers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bell jar posted:

alright butterfingers

I used to think people who were clumsy were called this as if their fingers were enormous sticks of butter and as such were unwieldy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

numerrik posted:

In parts of America, these are referred to as butter knifes, and being serrated, are sharp, even if not extremely sharp.

[url] https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Flatware%20Sets[/url]

I’m familiar with the pictured item, but my skin is not tissue paper so I never considered it sharp.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I used to think people who were clumsy were called this as if their fingers were enormous sticks of butter and as such were unwieldy.

True, it would be more accurate to call them buttered fingers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Butterfingers is a girl with really ugly fingers.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Butterfingers is a girl with really ugly fingers.

Butterfingers is an Aussie hip hop band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkfdN-z2vcQ

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

numerrik posted:

In parts of America, these are referred to as butter knifes, and being serrated, are sharp, even if not extremely sharp.

[url] https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Flatware%20Sets[/url]

I like the way you posted this to help foreigners understand your weird American ways, but being a foreigner I can't actually view that website :(

This picture of an American butter knife is not available in your region. Get hosed.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Roblo posted:

I like the way you posted this to help foreigners understand your weird American ways, but being a foreigner I can't actually view that website :(

This picture of an American butter knife is not available in your region. Get hosed.

Can you view this link? That is, I feel, pretty representative of the type.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Roblo posted:

Sorry, didn’t know it was region locked. That’s super weird.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

for gently caress sake https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...Q653QERP6Y&th=1

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Roblo posted:

The GDPR has gone too far this time :qq:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Internet borders are loving stupid. So what if you won't ship your lovely knife to me, I just want to look at it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Internet borders are loving stupid. So what if you won't ship your lovely knife to me, I just want to look at it.

It's not about borders at all. It's about the fact that the EU has some privacy and the US has literally none.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not about borders at all. It's about the fact that the EU has some privacy and the US has literally none.

:confused:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

no you guys have priv-acy and we have privacy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were misnamed. The guy who was good with technology and inventing things should have been the one called Leonardo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were misnamed. The guy who was good with technology and inventing things should have been the one called Leonardo.

Donatello was also a generation before Leonardo. Leonardo, Raphael, and Michelangelo were all more or less contemporaries, though Leonardo was like twenty years older than the other two. Donatello could definitely be said to have influenced them, so probably Donatello should have been the leader of the Ninja Turtles. Raphael died young.

Also in life, Leonardo loving hated Michelangelo, and Michelangelo, who was by all accounts kind of an rear end, hated him right back. Leonardo was... probably gay. He was charged with sodomy as a young man but the case was thrown out for lack of evidence. Michelangelo was so gay he painted dicks all over the Pope's ceiling, but honestly he never wanted to paint the Sistine chapel at all, he saw himself as a sculptor, but you don't say no to the pope.

Incredibly talented people. Fascinating historical figures. Incredibly loving weird namesakes for anthropomorphic turtle ninjas.

(Donatello was my favourite ninja turtle but I always gravitated to the nerdy tech archetypes.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

The GDPR has gone too far this time :qq:

why in the gently caress is there a "Pottery Barn Kids"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's a Pottery Petting Zoo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bony tony posted:

It's a Pottery Petting Zoo

Edit: the mausoleum complex of Emperor Jing, the sixth emperor of the Western Han Dynasty, is pretty bad rear end

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

It's not about shipping, it's that their website is designed from the ground up to stick your computer with hundreds of tracking and advertising cookies, and they can't be bothered (or aren't able) to change it to not default to tracking their visitors all over the web and selling their info to obscure multi-million-dollar marketing companies. So it's easier to just block visitors from Europe altogether.

Presumably there's also a slight hope that if they make life hard for Europeans and blame it on "those Brussels bureaucrats and their regulations" rather than their own naked greed, the people of Europe might be inclined to try and get the GDPR weakened or revoked so they can carry on as they have been without worrying about it spreading to the states.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RoboRodent posted:

Donatello was also a generation before Leonardo. Leonardo, Raphael, and Michelangelo were all more or less contemporaries, though Leonardo was like twenty years older than the other two. Donatello could definitely be said to have influenced them, so probably Donatello should have been the leader of the Ninja Turtles. Raphael died young.

Also in life, Leonardo loving hated Michelangelo, and Michelangelo, who was by all accounts kind of an rear end, hated him right back. Leonardo was... probably gay. He was charged with sodomy as a young man but the case was thrown out for lack of evidence. Michelangelo was so gay he painted dicks all over the Pope's ceiling, but honestly he never wanted to paint the Sistine chapel at all, he saw himself as a sculptor, but you don't say no to the pope.

Incredibly talented people. Fascinating historical figures. Incredibly loving weird namesakes for anthropomorphic turtle ninjas.

(Donatello was my favourite ninja turtle but I always gravitated to the nerdy tech archetypes.)

I'm reasonably certain that Michaelangelo hated everybody. I remember reading that him and Leonardo were described as polar opposites. Leonardo would buy birds just to set them free and Michaelangelo was the kind of person you didn't talk to because he really, really didn't loving want to talk to you ok gently caress off.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The_White_Crane posted:

It's not about shipping, it's that their website is designed from the ground up to stick your computer with hundreds of tracking and advertising cookies, and they can't be bothered (or aren't able) to change it to not default to tracking their visitors all over the web and selling their info to obscure multi-million-dollar marketing companies. So it's easier to just block visitors from Europe altogether.
It's dumb to do it based on where the visits are coming from, as the GDPR protects EU citizens, regardless of where they are browsing from.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The_White_Crane posted:

Presumably there's also a slight hope that if they make life hard for Europeans and blame it on "those Brussels bureaucrats and their regulations" rather than their own naked greed, the people of Europe might be inclined to try and get the GDPR weakened or revoked so they can carry on as they have been without worrying about it spreading to the states.

Given that Google just got hit with another antitrust thing in Europe, this one for $1.7B it might be a while before their image gets cleaned up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jobson groeth posted:

Given that Google just got hit with another antitrust thing in Europe, this one for $1.7B it might be a while before their image gets cleaned up.

Isn't it really easy to get hit with those in Europe? I'm probably wrong and misunderstood but didn't Microsoft get hit with it for only including their supported web browser in the windows install?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Isn't it really easy to get hit with those in Europe? I'm probably wrong and misunderstood but didn't Microsoft get hit with it for only including their supported web browser in the windows install?

It's really easy to not get hit with them too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jobson groeth posted:

It's really easy to not get hit with them too.

But why should Microsoft install all the web browsers? They only make the one. They only do tech support for the one. It isn't like installing Firefox or Opera were hard to do.

But then again I'm from America where companies sell my personal information all the time and our government doesn't care so that could be part of my not getting it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Len posted:

But why should Microsoft install all the web browsers? They only make the one. They only do tech support for the one. It isn't like installing Firefox or Opera were hard to do.

But then again I'm from America where companies sell my personal information all the time and our government doesn't care so that could be part of my not getting it.

The reasoning behind that is the company that makes your OS ideally would not be the same company that makes your web browser. One company making both and using its dominant OS to make its browser the de facto standard is wrong. Competing browsers used to cost money while IE was "free" with the OS.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
EU also has the universal service thing going on so you have a right to internet access. Using your market dominance to wall people out of the freedom to choose how they accessed that internet is what landed them in trouble.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

But Firefox was always just a Google search away?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Len posted:

But Firefox was always just a Google search away?

Surely you mean Navigator was a human-collated list of Internet World Wide Web sites away.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Len posted:

No, they got hit with it because they started making Windows in a way that wouldn't let you uninstall their browser and would force you to use it in a lot of circumstances where you had already installed another browser. It was anti-competitive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

It's dumb to do it based on where the visits are coming from, as the GDPR protects EU citizens, regardless of where they are browsing from.

I am not a lawyer, thank god, but in my work dealing with it you were exempt from the issues if you made an effort to both deny services to the EU and individuals from the EU. My business, for instence, was exempt because they would not sell/ship to anyone in the EU and had no advertising or ads nor promise to provide service anywhere in the EU. Therefore any EU citizens were considered incidental, but reminder Im not a lawyer and it was probably more complicated legally under the hood.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple's now doing what Microsoft did but their market share is still small enough that it's okay, I guess?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Aphrodite posted:

Apple's now doing what Microsoft did but their market share is still small enough that it's okay, I guess?
If you're referring to iOS, it's actually even worse. Any iOS browser (e.g. Chrome), must use the same engine as the built in Safari. So even if you install a 3rd party browser, they are mostly just skins.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, and I assume the reason nobody cares for now is because Android's market share is significantly higher (like 80 to 20 last I read?)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, and I assume the reason nobody cares for now is because Android's market share is significantly higher (like 80 to 20 last I read?)

Also because it's a Feature with Apple to only use what they decide you get

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The Merkinman posted:

If you're referring to iOS, it's actually even worse. Any iOS browser (e.g. Chrome), must use the same engine as the built in Safari. So even if you install a 3rd party browser, they are mostly just skins.
I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case, and browsers can provide their own engine now.

edit: I cannot find anything to back this up right now, maybe I misremembered that detail, or made it up entirely

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That you can't trust the forum software to point out stars on mods. I should have learned that from my last probation but I didn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Apple is selling you a complete software/hardware package. Thats different to the business model Microsoft and Google are using.
Windows and Android are being sold to OEMs to put on their hardware and the OEMs, and by extension the customers, have no choice about what is preinstalled on their system.
You can't get Android without Chrome unless you also want to lose access to the Google Play Store.

There have been studies that show that a shitton of people just use whatever is preinstalled on their system even though alternatives are only a quick google search away. People just don't give a gently caress what their browser is called. They just want the internet. This skews the market and thats what the EU has issues with.
Thats why Microsoft had to do the "pick a browser" thing after installing windows and thats why Google will have to do this on Android as well.