Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Gynovore posted:

Derek Smart

Now you've done it. You've called him to the forums. Don't you know anywhere you mention him he shows up? He's basically Internet Candlejack.

Anyway, I tried playing this and it was interesting at first. Pretty sandbox, I actually had to talk to people to find quests and exploring dungeons was fun. I even saved up my money to get a neat outfit from a player-run store. But the more I played the more the cracks showed. Optimization is horrible, long quest-lines are broken and frustrating to understand, and the farther I went out to explore the more I realized it's an open world with nothing to really discover. I open the map and see I've only "explored" about 5% of the entire world but I already know anywhere else I go won't have any NPCs or anything to truly discover, just dead, open maps.

desudrive fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 5, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

desudrive posted:

Now you've done it. You've called him to the forums.

No he hasn't.

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Now I have.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

No he hasn't.

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Now I have.

If only he didn't get himself banned for doxxing

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
you really want my uncle to show up here?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Does anyone still play this?

My physical items arrived a few months ago. I've not even opened the shipping box due to apathy.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

yoloer420 posted:

Does anyone still play this?

My physical items arrived a few months ago. I've not even opened the shipping box due to apathy.

Still play this? When did people play it?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

extra stout posted:

Still play this? When did people play it?

Why did people play it?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

Why did people play it?

Because they spent a thousand dollars on a castle

alternately, they were convinced by this 21st century mozart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyJ9fmsqqc

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

its like pantsuit anthem but for ultima fanboys

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I have to admit that's not horrible.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Portalarium closed their office, the remaining employees are now working from home.

Yes, money was a factor but NO, not having enough money to pay for an office was NOT a factor.

:laffo:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iron buns posted:

Portalarium closed their office, the remaining employees are now working from home.

Yes, money was a factor but NO, not having enough money to pay for an office was NOT a factor.

Can't wait for episode 2!!!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Portalarium Employee, working from home, submitting a code revision: I wish to lock this down haha

Serial Killer Inside their home: fethers

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

iron buns posted:

F

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
listening to the original Ultima Online midi files while I gently weep in my hands wondering what could have been

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

iron buns posted:

Richard Garriot could personally pay to keep that office open for decades without going near broke, he's a huge piece of poo poo and I can't wait to troll him online for the next fifty or sixty years, god bless.

edit

Chris mentions it was a 3 year lease but claims they wanted to save money by working from home, Richard Garriot absolutely will not be paying even half of the few remaining a salary in 3 years and they all know it and lie about it.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 5, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Who got custody of the mobile suit gundam iPad robot children he used to connect to the office ?

Givin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 5, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iron buns posted:

Hahaha

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
maybe now is the best time to buy back in

also gently caress anyone who tried to get people to put more money in this poo poo, you should be straight up ashamed of yourselves

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
basically the first 20 pages of thread posters promoting this poo poo need to come back and explain their insanely defensive postures and promotional attitudes to this obvious failure of a games

anyone who does that gets a free game. maybe a good game. maybe line of defensive. I dunno

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game is very very good

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

basically the first 20 pages of thread posters promoting this poo poo need to come back and explain their insanely defensive postures and promotional attitudes to this obvious failure of a games

anyone who does that gets a free game. maybe a good game. maybe line of defensive. I dunno

i've already done that poo poo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
TBH I still like the parts of the game that I liked. In the first few areas there were a shitload (ok like 15) NPCs you could talk to in a freeform manner about various topics. It was janky but it was really novel and it actually did work provided you were ready to apply some old fashioned MUD Logic. There was a kind of interesting main quest and a kind of interesting side quest. If they had concentrated on that stuff and made it a solo game I might have even enjoyed it because maybe they would have finished that poo poo. Like it never would have been good, it looks like garbage but the combat deck building thing was an interesting take on action bar combat and there was a real sense of discovery. Mobbing through the underground grouped up with 10 people, with no idea where we would come out was a genuinely great experience and I don't think I've had that exact feeling with a game for a long time. Lots of "what's down here?" and "what does this do?" There were a lot of weird puzzles and points of interest that were never really fleshed out, but could have been, I think.

I still really believe that Atos ruined the game by being left in charge of a bunch of MMO mechanics and having no loving idea what he was doing. My posts in this thread lay out all the weird poo poo I was constantly running into. The biggest thing was that I was mainly interested in more of that "mobbing around the underground" experience, but the group mechanics were entirely hosed up. Healing was broken, damage mitigation was broken, aggro was broken, and group activities were broken because the designer was worried about things being too easy so he'd nerf rewards for things if you were in a group.

Ultimately I paid less than $60 even with the telethon stuff I bought, played over 200 hours, and made a friend I still chat with. I regret not just doing what there was of the main storyline and bailing out, but I was interested in the economy & crafting because it seemed to have some depth, but it made so little sense that I ended up just popping open the code to see how it worked and it turned out it was just moronic top to bottom. I spent like hours making a helmet that had a 3.7 HP bonus over the default iron helmet.

I think if it had been just as unpolished and janky as it was, but had a better focus on the things that were interesting about it, I'd probably be defending it to this day. But it was a fight between a good RPG, a bad MMO, and a shameless cash grab, and the cash grab won.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They had an ability that was the equivalent of the wow priest ability Fade, and the tank taunting an enemy would overwrite it and cause Fade to end early. And this was, as far as I can tell, on purpose. I will never ever get over that.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This fuckin game

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Capntastic posted:

Portalarium Employee, working from home, submitting a code revision: I wish to lock this down haha

Serial Killer Inside their home: fethers

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

We could always make lum the mad kill himself

Remember the post about RIchard Gariott firing an uzi within his private mansion to repel evil feefs. I sure do. Kill yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Woah woah woah. Stand down soldier.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Jeez dude, its just video games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Remember the post about RIchard Gariott firing an uzi within his private mansion to repel evil feefs. I sure do. Kill yourself.

lets not do this

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

Cool, sweet av man

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

haven't worked on this game in a year but i'll give your advice proper consideration regardless, thanks random internet person

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lum_ posted:

haven't worked on this game in a year but i'll give your advice proper consideration regardless, thanks random internet person

To get the topic somewhere less hosed up: is your name based off that anime Night Crew freaked out over?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Good Dumplings posted:

To get the topic somewhere less hosed up: is your name based off that anime Night Crew freaked out over?

oh GOD no

https://greyhawk.fandom.com/wiki/Lum_the_Mad

(upon further reflection maybe the anime would be less geeky)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 19, 2019

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I always thought you took your name from that anime cat girl that was super popular in the late 90s. Then tacked "the Mad" onto the end because you were upset about video games. The truth is acrually less dorky but just barely.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lum_ posted:

So are you under an nda re: train wrecks coz holy moly

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

So are you under an nda re: train wrecks coz holy moly

I indeed am, so kindly look elsewhere for commentary on trains

(there's plenty of ex-employees who apparently have been leaking to the reddit, including lots of stuff about me which because of said NDA I can't refute or talk about, so fun times)

Suffice to say I'm working in a very boring job learning kubernetes and am happy for it. If I decide to wear a game dev hat again I'll work on a mod and if it blows up I can yell at myself.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 20, 2019

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So are you ever going to write a tell all book about the cluster gently caress that is MMO development in which you name names? Because it seems like youve worked on a few real stinkers that were managed by the walking embodiment of Dunder Mifflin Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You may have signed an NDA but you need therapy. Start your mmo blog again and find inner peace :yaycloud: