Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and here I was foolishly thinking we had perhaps come to understand each other's positions better

If you did, that's fantastic, I'm glad you have come to accept that Imelda Marcos wasn't doing much to challenge the strictures of gendered power or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and here I was foolishly thinking we had perhaps come to understand each other's positions better

I mean I absolutely understand you, yeah. We just disagree strongly, and I think that satire like that Onion piece does a good job of highlighting the end result of the particular brand of feminism you seem to subscribe to

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean I absolutely understand you, yeah. We just disagree strongly, and I think that satire like that Onion piece does a good job of highlighting the end result of the particular brand of feminism you seem to subscribe to

I dont subscribe to it as action I subscribe to it as criticism

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I dont subscribe to it as action I subscribe to it as criticism

Art can act as action. Despite its flaws, 'Sorry to Bother You' is a good example of what a film that is critical of capitalism actually looks like

'Captain Marvel' is not critical of the patriarchy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Art can act as action. Despite its flaws, 'Sorry to Bother You' is a good example of what a film that is critical of capitalism actually looks like

Criticism in terms of interpreting viewer response, not in terms of the film itself being critical

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally got around to seeing this now that elementary school spring break is over and the theatres are clear. Goons made me think this would be worse but I enjoyed it. It was rather fun. Apparently 90s technology humour is my kryptonite? SLJ absolutely made the movie though.

Somehow "she called it the tesseract" and 'Carol "Avenger" Danvers' both got me good.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the premise of like 50% of all action adventure films. The hero doesn't believe in themselves, and must overcome this in order to defeat the villain.

She always believed in herself though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also just saw this. It started out really strong and I was all "non-linear storytelling? In MY Marvel movie??" but it unfortunately got a bit more straightforward and also weaker in the second half. Other just random disconnected thoughts:

Good stuff
- The Stan Lee tribute was very sweet and well done
- Ben Mendelsohn was great and was cracking me up
- The montage of her getting back up was a great character moment, legitimately one of the better ones they've done
- The twist was well done and honestly the family theme was handled nicely

Bad/mixed stuff
- The exponential leap in power level at the end was the most jarring thing, she went from learning her powers but being challenged by 5 people to Supermanning through a Kree warship like it was made of tissue paper
- The effects for the most part were good but there were some clunkers, like when they escape with the plane and there's a really amateurish "flying toward the camera then pulling up" shot that just looked cheap
- Ditto some of the shots were just not doing justice to the material: the shot after she picks her new colors is just flat and awkward and not what you'd want for a big moment like that. In general it was all over the place, with some stuff looking more polished than other stuff
- The 90s music was fun but kind of just dropped over the film in some places without any real finesse
- They kind of wasted the potential of the cool body snatcher premise, didn't do enough with it before reversing course

Like I said, overall review is that it started off strong but it just got inconsistent as it went on.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Bad/mixed stuff
- The exponential leap in power level at the end was the most jarring thing, she went from learning her powers but being challenged by 5 people to Supermanning through a Kree warship like it was made of tissue paper

Isn't that explained by her ability to absorb energy? She absorbs the energy of the cruiser the lab is on, she absorb's the power from the powerlines on earth, she absorbs the energy bolts that shoot her. She's like Behemoth from Worm, attacking her just makes her stronger.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I suppose, it just felt like a really intense leap in power and skill controlling that power in a short amount of time.

Also I feel like it's a symptom of the idea that there always needs to be a world threat. It can't just be her fighting a few fighter craft to protect her family, the Kree have to show up to try and nuke us to up the stakes even further

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shneak posted:

Somehow [...] 'Carol "Avenger" Danvers' both got me good.

sorry sir we're gonna have to put you on an island with all the other freaks who liked this so we can make sure you cannot procreate. please submit voluntarily i don't want to be violent but i will if i have to

seriously if i had been eating popcorn i would have thrown whatever was left at the screen that line was so bad

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

sorry sir we're gonna have to put you on an island with all the other freaks who liked this so we can make sure you cannot procreate. please submit voluntarily i don't want to be violent but i will if i have to

having a normal one in the superhero movie thread

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Guy A. Person posted:

I suppose, it just felt like a really intense leap in power and skill controlling that power in a short amount of time.

I mean, yeah.

She's a super saiyan, dude. That's how they roll.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Waffles Inc. posted:

Personally I found it critical of the patriarchy, as represented by all the male authority figures in Carol Danvers’ life who kept telling her she would never be strong enough or capable because she was female/emotional and then she stood up in defiance of them.

Also anyone arguing this movie at all supports military is not watching the movie where the major military force is the villains and the secondary military is dismissive towards the lead in almost every scene they are mentioned in.

It’s the same deal with Black Panther “supporting” the CIA because one character is part of them and actually outright says the techniques the villain uses were taught to him by the CIA and is himself heroic by acting outside the guidelines of the CIA, and ends up helping the other heroic characters avoid the CIA.

At least that’s the things I got from the movies when I watched them and maybe I’m wrong.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Steve jumping on the Grenade?

Or Star Spangled Man?

The Grenade scene is one of the best scenes in the entire MCU. But goddamn do I love Star Spangled Man.

First Avenger is criminally underated. The MCU doesn't happen if they can't get Captain America to work. First Avenger made him work. It's not the best film in the franchise, but after Iron Man it's probably the most important.

the uso sequence, yeah. both in terms of its effectiveness as a montage but also its metatextual commentary with the kids buying captain america comic books and the like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I found it critical of the patriarchy, as represented by all the male authority figures in Carol Danvers’ life who kept telling her she would never be strong enough or capable because she was female/emotional and then she stood up in defiance of them.

Also anyone arguing this movie at all supports military is not watching the movie where the major military force is the villains and the secondary military is dismissive towards the lead in almost every scene they are mentioned in.

It’s the same deal with Black Panther “supporting” the CIA because one character is part of them and actually outright says the techniques the villain uses were taught to him by the CIA and is himself heroic by acting outside the guidelines of the CIA, and ends up helping the other heroic characters avoid the CIA.

At least that’s the things I got from the movies when I watched them and maybe I’m wrong.

You're not wrong about any of this. People are mostly talking about outside the film where this military propaganda is taking place. Marvel, the actors, and the Air Force have a marketing deal to promote air Force recruitment using Captain Marvel.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Was anyone else hoping that at the end when Fury wrote "the protectors initiative" and then looked at the picture, thought better of it, deleted "protectors" and started writing something else it was just going to cut to it saying "The Carol Initiative" and him looking incredibly pleased with his loving stupid name for his super cool special project?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

The US Military is not a villain in this film in the film's fiction, and in reality, the Chief of Staff for the actual real US Air Force basically did a reaction video for the trailer

https://www.defensenews.com/video/2018/09/21/hear-the-air-force-chief-of-staffs-reaction-to-the-captain-marvel-trailer/

This is not a film that is critical of United States military hegemony, and the degree of marketing connection it has to the actual US Military is creepy as hell

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Popular C/C, a leftist youtuber, just released a video on this exact subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49mYQLs1fmY

I thought it was pretty good, she went into the history of corporations and the military co-opting feminism without not shaming people who liked the movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Cease to Hope posted:

having a normal one in the superhero movie thread

To be fair it was a really bad line

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Was anyone else hoping that at the end when Fury wrote "the protectors initiative" and then looked at the picture, thought better of it, deleted "protectors" and started writing something else it was just going to cut to it saying "The Carol Initiative" and him looking incredibly pleased with his loving stupid name for his super cool special project?

....Okay, I would have laughed my rear end off if they did that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

To be fair it was a really bad line

I dunno it wasn't that bad considering "The Avengers" was always a dumb name for a group that protects things

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Was it just me, or was all the music sung by women except the song chosen by the Supreme Intelligence?

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
almost but REM was definitely in there

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hate that they didn't work any NIN in there despite the shirt.

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012
I love how the media is stating Captain Marvel is soaring still after the second weekend. It fell 55% from opening weekend

The movie matrix based on box office receipts states a fall of 40% or less, means the film was a major hit.
A fall of 60% means the movie was failure. Factoring in that Captain Marvel had no competition in weekend 2 and a fall of 55% means the movie is a failure.

Chalk up another media snow job.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve2911 posted:

I hate that they didn't work any NIN in there despite the shirt.

Which is really odd when you consider most of the early Phase 1/2 trailers used NIN music for the trailers.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

thebardyspoon posted:

I can't really put my express why but that scene bugged me. Fury wasn't the head of SHIELD at that point, so rather coming from the highest authority, this super special project that's utterly important to the universe came from a middle manager? If it had been a folder he was handed only to have him cross out and change the name it would have been better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Darth Brooks posted:

I can't really put my express why but that scene bugged me. Fury wasn't the head of SHIELD at that point, so rather coming from the highest authority, this super special project that's utterly important to the universe came from a middle manager? If it had been a folder he was handed only to have him cross out and change the name it would have been better.

Considering the Avengers wouldn't start until about a decade later, this is what happens when a middle manager's pet project idea eventually becomes the boss's pet project idea.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bulldog posted:

I love how the media is stating Captain Marvel is soaring still after the second weekend. It fell 55% from opening weekend

The movie matrix based on box office receipts states a fall of 40% or less, means the film was a major hit.
A fall of 60% means the movie was failure. Factoring in that Captain Marvel had no competition in weekend 2 and a fall of 55% means the movie is a failure.

Gee, I guess all the other Marvel movies were total failures, too. Guardians 1 was a failure. Winter Soldier was a failure. Infinity War was definitely a failure.

Some snowjob, indeed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ah yes i recall iconic box office bomb Spider-Man Homecoming, it's right up there with Waterworld and Ishtar

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The scene that really resonated with me was where they waited for Windows 95 to copy a file over.

And I'm hopping mad I didn't know about this site sooner https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Gnome de plume posted:

The scene that really resonated with me was where they waited for Windows 95 to copy a file over.

And I'm hopping mad I didn't know about this site sooner https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel/

As much as I liked that scene, it should have just been them standing around in silence listening to the internet dial up sound. I was waiting for it and it never happened.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bulldog posted:

Show us on the doll where the woman didn't touch you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ He can't touch it everywhere at once, you know.

I said come in! posted:

You're not wrong about any of this. People are mostly talking about outside the film where this military propaganda is taking place. Marvel, the actors, and the Air Force have a marketing deal to promote air Force recruitment using Captain Marvel.

More than that, two of the Air Force consultants appear as themselves in the movie. Although I'm not sure how good a puff piece for the USAF that's going to be, because one of them also gets a memorial in the end credits.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Show us on the doll where the woman didn't touch you.

goddamn

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bulldog posted:

That’s not even close to reality. Movie economic success is based on gross vs budget, and Captain Marvel is already a success on that front.

55% is actually a really good weekend to weekend domestic drop for a blockbuster. CM is likely to have a pretty good long tail.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 20, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Captain Marvel also had an insanely front loaded box office with how much money it made on opening weekend. Any drop percentage the weekend after doesn't mean anything. The film is likely going to cross $1 billion, because it's Marvel and it's the film leading up to Endgame. The anticipation is just too hype and too strong.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

anyone arguing this movie at all supports military is not watching the movie where the major military force is the villains and the secondary military is dismissive towards the lead in almost every scene they are mentioned in.

Question:

Is Hidden Figures an anti-NASA film?

The CIA and Air Force have partnered with Disney on films where the agent character is called “colonizer”, and woman pilots are discriminated against in the 1990s, because the acknowledgement of past problems is part of a concerted effort to rebrand these as progressive institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Are there any scenes in this movie where The Ben Stiller Show is on in the background?