Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't worry, you're not. you're storing a picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

coke posted:

nah i dont even really drive but there are dashcam videos of pedestrians with their head down or with earbuds while crossing the road

what exactly is wrong with people listening to music while they walk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
some dipshit might be driving a car at an unsafe speed and kill you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

it's not a good idea to be distracted when you're outside for a whole variety of reasons, plus it's super rude since i guarantee the type to listen to music while walking also does it in line at a coffee shop or whatever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i goddamn fuckin hate airpods because we have a "no headphones in the shop" rule for obvious safety reasons and it used to be easy to tell bc you'd just look for the cord but now they're almost invisible. i have to wave my hands in people's faces to get their attention. real fuckin helpful if i'm ten feet behind you and notice you're about to cut off your hands

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

i goddamn fuckin hate airpods because we have a "no headphones in the shop" rule for obvious safety reasons and it used to be easy to tell bc you'd just look for the cord but now they're almost invisible. i have to wave my hands in people's faces to get their attention. real fuckin helpful if i'm ten feet behind you and notice you're about to cut off your hands

at that point it’s just darwinism in action. stop worrying unless they’re about to cut off someone else’s hands, in which case you can presumably warn the victim instead

coke
Jul 12, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

nothing at all, it's a free country and their responsibilities to pay attention to their surroundings

listening to music while walking kinda makes it harder to pay attention but if they can do it who are we to say :shrug:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

coke posted:

nothing at all, it's a free country and their responsibilities to pay attention to their surroundings

listening to music while walking kinda makes it harder to pay attention but if they can do it who are we to say :shrug:

I know my limits officer and I assure you that while I may be drunk I am also perfectly capable of driving safely. I’ve been doing this for decades and haven’t killed a single child so I think my record speaks for itself. why are you arresting me isn’t this a free country anymore

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remember the razr? it's back. again. in $1500 folding android form (this is a mockup)

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/motorola-razr-2019-specs-logo-price,news-29624.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

remember the razr? it's back. again. in $1500 folding android form (this is a complete fabrication)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
it's like someone sat on a playdough piece that happened to be on top an old razr

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't know where the hell the google thread went, so here

google kills their laptop and tablet teams to focus on game console development, a long term goal which surely they won't abandon after a couple half-assed products bought by approximately no one in which they completely fail to gain any significant traction in the market

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google trying to make hardware is a neverending source of lols*

somehow theyre even worse at it than apple is at web services, original content, and gaming

* with the weird exception of the chromecast, which is just perfect (and perfectly priced) for what it does

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

google trying to make hardware is a neverending source of lols*

somehow theyre even worse at it than apple is at web services, original content, and gaming

* with the weird exception of the chromecast, which is just perfect (and perfectly priced) for what it does

incidentally the "console" is actually the "project stream" device, i.e. a chromecast but with a controller.

remains to be seen if streaming gaming actually pans out in any acceptable way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would anyone stream android games?

if not antroid games, what console maker is going to cut themselves off at the knees by offering streaming to a third party? it's microsoft

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So Google is making a pstv?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like at least with a phone the replacement cycle is short enough that grabbing a good (:v:) GooPhon you can at least tell yourself that you’re :rolldice:ing that they won’t kill development before your 2 years are up.

But a long-term purchase like a console? :laffo:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

google kills their laptop and tablet teams to focus on game console development, a long term goal which surely they won't abandon after a couple half-assed products bought by approximately no one in which they completely fail to gain any significant traction in the market

the article has a link to googles console commercial which is basically "walk into the light": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJclcGp8K_4

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

"walk into the light"

that's a fast death announcement even by google's standards

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i wonder how self-awareness there is amongst googlers, especially regarding their reputation for having zero follow-through on anything that isn't search-related

like if you showed them a bunch of examples would you mostly get something like "haha yeah, it happens. gotta move fast! :yayclod:" or would it mostly be blank, uncomprehending stares, accompanied by "doesn't look like anything to me :geno:" ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's definitely the latter

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i suspect everyone is well aware that {messaging app that they don't work on} is a pointless boondoggle that will never go anywhere, but is utterly convinced that {messaging app that they work on} will change the world and become the next big thing that everyone uses

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

speaking of, google allo officially shut down yesterday

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oodbye

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

i suspect everyone is well aware that {messaging app that they don't work on} is a pointless boondoggle that will never go anywhere, but is utterly convinced that {messaging app that they work on} will change the world and become the next big thing that everyone uses

i imagine there is a lot of complete cynics as well at google these days though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, as they put it: "I will say this only wance"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

google plus only has days to live, too

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imagine developing for a platform that will unsupported in 2 years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
stadia (it looks really cool tho)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was a joke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what do you find cool about stadia?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

i guarantee that it'll be shut down in under a year after it launches

https://twitter.com/levarburzum/status/1108064710996353024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

what do you find cool about stadia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, i'm not watching an hour long launch video

what do you, personally, find cool about stadia? or is it just the fact that it exists?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The tech seems cool but lol

https://twitter.com/peperc2/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

il serpente cosmico posted:

Digital Foundry has a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw

There's lot of interesting stuff in there. Developing a version it isn't necessarily as simple as running a PC version of a game on their servers (though that should theoretically be possible); their dedicated hardware is designed to work in concert, and the rendering path will need to take into account that multiple AMD GPUs can assist in rendering, as well as multiple physical CPUs, to get the most out of it.

Single-threaded CPU performance also doesn't sound all that great (2.7ghz clock speed), which makes me wonder about the 120FPS they are promising for the future.

They do an input latency test, and on an optimal internet connection it is on par with an Xbox One X being played locally. On a not-great internet connection, the number increases, but not a terrible amount. Their test game is only running at 30FPS, though, and the imagine quality is worse, which you can see right away.

this was all on some sort of "google network connection" so not a real world example

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, game streaming is truly mind blowing and revolutionary and not a commercial product that has existed for almost a decade with roughly no adoption

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dodoman posted:

this was all on some sort of "google network connection" so not a real world example

remember when they showed that google assistant that would call the hair salon or the restaurant for you and then it was never made available to the public because the entire thing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I don't forsee it working for anyone without the best internet connection money can buy even with their 7500 edging locations and I wouldn't trust Google to see anything through anyway.

yes, game streaming is truly mind blowing and revolutionary and not a commercial product that has existed for almost a decade with roughly no adoption

It goes beyond the other game streaming services, it's a dev platform supported by Unreal/Unity that lets you do cool things on the cloud. So instead of simulating multiple copies of a game that connects to a server, it's all there in a single, synced instance that can have really complex physics or whatever because there's no client-side calculation.

Split screen co-op wouldn't incur a performance penalty. Shareable game-states off a browser url, game invites off a url, video streaming can obviously been done from the cloud. I think this is unique, but tbh I haven't paid that much attention to game streaming.

Most of the coolest poo poo needs devs to start with developing on the cloud instead of just porting it so it's pretty unlikely, but just the fact everyone has a browser means the barrier to entry for a new player is lower than a flash game. Having a free triple AAA game demo available at a click in a browser and having it seamlessly transition into the full game because google knows all your credit card details might get studios to try it. Even if it's just a decent port, they announced Doom Eternal will be launching at 4k HDR 60 fps. For a college student without money to blow on a great computer, that's an awesome value proposition.

And here's a cool ML art prototyping thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA&t=3340s