Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can barely play the guitar and I'm pretty sure I could learn most of a Skynyrd set in a couple of days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANYzZm2jdeA

(fyi you can play this entire song without having to change hand positions)
Matt Freeman is probably the player most responsible for me picking up an instrument at all, and I'm so glad his stuff still holds up as awesome, unlike a lot of the other stuff I listened to as a teenager. I distinctly remember my bass teacher being kind of surprised / impressed with the Rancid/OpIvy stuff that I brought in to learn too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gnumonic posted:

I mean you're entitled to your opinion and all but I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea that Lynyrd Skynyrd of all groups is where you draw the line. Beethoven must drive you insane.

Try Bach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbxFi3-UO4

A single instrument playing 4 independent, yet imitative voices all on their own journey mostly jumping between the i and V7 chord. Each voice is complimenting the other and none of them stop being melodic, it's perfectly balanced, as all things should be. I'm not religious, but Bach makes me question the existence of divinity.

And Bach would improvise fugues because he could. Like, lol everyone else can just gently caress off.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah, but Yngwie could go "meedly meedly meedly" vaguely in time with a drum set going "brubbabrubbabrubba" for like 10 straight minutes!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

scuz posted:

Warning: subjective views ahead.

Their structures are completely barebones (12-bar blues progressions, mostly), but there's just so much superfluous, ego-boosting noodling and solos and yipes, that "Simple Man" bassline? Completely unnecessary, imo, especially when most of those songs are just vessels for extended, wank-y guitar solos. Reeeeally not my cup of tea, but I'm also glad that I get to branch out and learn new things that I would never have done unless I were doing a favor for a pal (i.e. learning all this baloney).

I mean, this is just begging to be followed up with "So what *is* your wheelhouse, then?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OutOfPrint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaez19mz980

I was listening to this in the car today for the first time in years. It's dueling guitar riffs in every goddamn song. That fuzz bass sounds amazing, too, given that this was probably recorded for fifty cents and a half case of bud lite.

That album is an acquired taste, though, so don't say I didn't warn you.
I loved every single part of this gently caress-up of a record. I just realized that it's on Google Play, so I'm buying the heck out of it. Thank you so drat much for sharing. :)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

I loved every single part of this gently caress-up of a record. I just realized that it's on Google Play, so I'm buying the heck out of it. Thank you so drat much for sharing. :)

No problem. Stolen Singles, their demo collection, is a good buy, too.

The guitar work on Queen Hygiene II was hugely influential on me and to my inability to start a band with what I write.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
My neck is still sore from headbanging too much during a gig last Saturday. I’m old.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

I also do not get the joke

I did, should've added a :v: because it's Epiphone without the h

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm not religious, but Bach makes me question the existence of divinity.

same. somewhere in an alternate dimension there's an arcade machine called Counterpoint and all highscores are signed with JSB

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

that scene at the end of the fly where jeff goldblum says "kill...me..." but its this bass

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
‘One of a kind’ is top of the list of verbiage that sellers think makes their listings look attractive and appealing while simultaneously warning all buyers that what they’re selling is definitely 100% garbage

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I could understand when people use it if they don't primarily speak English. They don't know any better or it was a pain in the rear end for them to get it (see the guy who sold me the multi-scale 8 string).

If that ain't the case, though? Yeah, total douchenozzle trying to sell you garbo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

‘One of a kind’ is top of the list of verbiage that sellers think makes their listings look attractive and appealing while simultaneously warning all buyers that what they’re selling is definitely 100% garbage

...never even considered for mass production.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
“One of a kind!”

Said by idiots who think uniqueness and originality for its own sake are always good qualities.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
L@@K RARE UNIQUE ONE OF A KIND CUSTOM LUTHIER KILLED HIMSELF AND TORCHED HIS WORKSHOP SO THAT NO MORE SHAME COULD COME FROM THIS LOCATION

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

L@@K RARE UNIQUE ONE OF A KIND CUSTOM LUTHIER KILLED HIMSELF AND TORCHED HIS WORKSHOP SO THAT NO MORE SHAME COULD COME FROM THIS LOCATION

I always wondered what happened to whoever made Romeo Rose's guitar

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
my dick's one of a kind

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

my dick's one of a kind

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

...never even considered for mass production.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NOS tubes can go for a pretty penny

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
These few last posts seriously make me consider that we should request a goldmine for this thread. :cawg:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
anybody make anything good with the push button bach google doodle today? https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-johann-sebastian-bach

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Joel Wheeler, owner of Matamp USA™ (if you buy a Matamp and it's not from England, it's "made" by him) is notorious for taking many years to deliver an amp (that cost several thousand dollars) and sometimes just not delivering anything whatsoever. He's so awful that Matt Pike notoriously stopped using his amps (and while on tour with them, when the poo poo between them went down, he went through the trouble of covering the amps during a show).

Anyhow here's an inside baseball phone call between a pissed off customer and the man himself admitting in a lot of weasely words to being lovely, all the while blaming complaining customers as people "who shouldn't be playing these amps anyways."

It's kind of a lol if you are stoner metal-adjacent at all and enjoy beefy riffs and also interpersonal dramas:

https://soundcloud.com/spectrelab/erroneus-and-libels-included

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

These few last posts seriously make me consider that we should request a goldmine for this thread. :cawg:

Yeah, rotflmaoshabadadingdong over here.

Content:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

former glory posted:

Yeah, rotflmaoshabadadingdong over here.

Content:

DEKKAR

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Joel Wheeler, owner of Matamp USA™ (if you buy a Matamp and it's not from England, it's "made" by him) is notorious for taking many years to deliver an amp (that cost several thousand dollars) and sometimes just not delivering anything whatsoever. He's so awful that Matt Pike notoriously stopped using his amps (and while on tour with them, when the poo poo between them went down, he went through the trouble of covering the amps during a show).

Anyhow here's an inside baseball phone call between a pissed off customer and the man himself admitting in a lot of weasely words to being lovely, all the while blaming complaining customers as people "who shouldn't be playing these amps anyways."

It's kind of a lol if you are stoner metal-adjacent at all and enjoy beefy riffs and also interpersonal dramas:

https://soundcloud.com/spectrelab/erroneus-and-libels-included

Isn't this the same story as almost every boutique amp maker? The Gear Page is littered with the corpses of those who preordered Cameron CCVs, or who have been waiting 27 years for a Dumble or whatever.

If I really desperately wanted one of those amps I'd just pay someone to make me a clone. Hell from looking inside my Ceriatone I'm confident you can get clones that are better made than the originals for cheaper...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Isn't this the same story as almost every boutique amp maker? The Gear Page is littered with the corpses of those who preordered Cameron CCVs, or who have been waiting 27 years for a Dumble or whatever.

If I really desperately wanted one of those amps I'd just pay someone to make me a clone. Hell from looking inside my Ceriatone I'm confident you can get clones that are better made than the originals for cheaper...
This is most certainly true. My own anecdote involves a very amazing guitarist who has a Dumble clone in a Dumble enclosure and it sounds amazing. My friends and I always wondered why this person would take something so rare (we thought it was real, more fool we) to a club for a gig. Then he told us he paid someone to build the internals and it cost him about $1K. He has played the real thing. I will leave it to the imagination just how we felt about this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Helianthus Annuus posted:

anybody make anything good with the push button bach google doodle today? https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-johann-sebastian-bach

Really cool, but nothing it generates sounds like Bach, and I even input Bach melodies.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is most certainly true. My own anecdote involves a very amazing guitarist who has a Dumble clone in a Dumble enclosure and it sounds amazing. My friends and I always wondered why this person would take something so rare (we thought it was real, more fool we) to a club for a gig. Then he told us he paid someone to build the internals and it cost him about $1K. He has played the real thing. I will leave it to the imagination just how we felt about this.

Uproarious laughter?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

Yea that is certainly true however the name Matamp holds a legendary spot in peoples’ hearts and this dude did some crafty trademarking and has steadily driven the name Matamp into the ground.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just use Orange. I think a goon here posted himself playing an obscene amount of Orange heads and it was the filthiest thing in the world.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Just use Orange. I think a goon here posted himself playing an obscene amount of Orange heads and it was the filthiest thing in the world.

But but.. How am I going to be special playing gear you can get at any guitarcenter??

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know you're joking, but 9 gigs out of 10 I'm just using a Mesa Recto-Verb Head 4-cable'd into a Line 6 POD HD. Neither one was difficult to find and the variety of tones I can get out of those two things is hilariously vast.

Also, here's something for stupid music poo poo: I normally use a 2x12 Orange cab with the option to be fully closed or open back that's s'posed to be the cream of the crop of easily available cabinets. Well, recently, a friend retired from music business and he sold a bunch of stuff around. I got from him both his Boss Katana 100 watt head and the accompanying 2x12 open back cabinet for like 250 dollars.

The cabinet? IT SOUNDS BETTER THAN THE ORANGE CAB. Like, objectively better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I still think a 5150 or 6505 sounds better than a bogner uberschall or a framus cobra or engl Powerball or any other boutique-ish high gain amp.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mark V:25 also owns and isn't exactly a boutique brand either. Not a cheap one but :v:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I still think a 5150 or 6505 sounds better than a bogner uberschall or a framus cobra or engl Powerball or any other boutique-ish high gain amp.

I'm more of a modded Marshall than 5150 guy but... I mean, it's not like there's some kind of magic secret technology that makes an amp great. It's a bunch of electronic components from the 1930s, based on a design from the 1930s, that can be assembled by... you or me with enough dedication. I'm sure those super high end amps sound great, but there's no reason at all why a cheap (or reasonably priced) amp can't sound just as good. If you buy a $3k+ amp you're paying for the name on the front more than anything.

At least with guitars, some of them are made of wood you can't get anymore or easily. There's no such thing as an old growth transformer or capacitor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ahem I'll have you know that these 1950s paper in oil capacitors sound much more vintage than a modern production

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Amps are overrated. I played a bunch of back line shows on guitar over summer so got everything from a Hiwatt to a Katana 100 and they all sounded pretty good through the big rigs.

I also have an unofficial arrangement with a UK bass amp company that isn't quite a proper endorsement, but they've lent us some gear for touring. Every night I dragged this 410 and head out of the van onstage and I got loads of comments about how great it sounded. I've been politely repping them without ever mentioning that every front of house is all Sansamp; unless you're ten yards in front of me you'll probably never hear my amp. With all due respect to the company, who have been lovely, bass amps are extremely heavy and we don't have a full crew yet so I'm just going rigless for the next tour... If I found something I enjoyed enough I'd do the same for guitar.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Also pedals can be very affected by component selection. Specifically diodes and transistors. This makes sense, doping silicon or germanium is by nature a little slap-dash.

One of the reasons Klon Centaurs are so rare and prized is that the components are basically hand-selected because 2 diodes with identical part numbers can sound very different.

There's no diodes in any tone capacity in any all-tube amp I've read a schematic for.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

Amps are overrated. I played a bunch of back line shows on guitar over summer so got everything from a Hiwatt to a Katana 100 and they all sounded pretty good through the big rigs.

I also have an unofficial arrangement with a UK bass amp company that isn't quite a proper endorsement, but they've lent us some gear for touring. Every night I dragged this 410 and head out of the van onstage and I got loads of comments about how great it sounded. I've been politely repping them without ever mentioning that every front of house is all Sansamp; unless you're ten yards in front of me you'll probably never hear my amp. With all due respect to the company, who have been lovely, bass amps are extremely heavy and we don't have a full crew yet so I'm just going rigless for the next tour... If I found something I enjoyed enough I'd do the same for guitar.
What's up Tech 21 buddy! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wark Say posted:

What's up Tech 21 buddy! :hfive:

The VT is genuinely life changing. I'm probably going to go to the Deluxe soon so I don't have to fiddle with settings between songs, but it's ridiculous how many techs and other players come up after the set to check out what I'm using. Our sound guy loves it.