Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

What the gently caress, that's just piling meat from the grayest elephant's leg I've ever seen on a frozen pizza margherita straight from Aldi. I like a good Turkish pizza and that ain't it. Full Swexit now. :sweden:

I'm a Swede and I got some serious craving for kebab pizza after seeing that gif. So much that I'm almost considering binning the lunch box I brought to work.

That said, as an outsider, is it strange that I'm feeling a much more primitive gut feeling of repulsion when hearing Andrea Leadsome speak? I mean Theresa May, Boris, JRM, Arlene Foster etc are all bad characters in their own ways, but from closely following Brexit the last two years I still can barely stand to not skip her replies in parliament. And I can't even put a finger on exactly why she stands out like that in such a splendid rogues gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ugh, just had to sit through a manager having a normal one about homeless people, and how lucrative begging is (£40 an hour? Sure :nallears:), and spend it all on drugs and BMWs.

Is there a good source for arguments to debunk this poo poo? I often struggle to keep my thoughts straight when it comes up because the lack of empathy just makes me so mad

Put an anonymous tip in to the head office (if there is one) about the manager's offensive views (do not specify what they are at this point) and unprofessional behaviour at work. Emphasise that the working environment is becoming uncomfortable and that staff (i.e. you) are becoming distressed.

Basically, keep things vague enough so they assume the worst about what he/she's views are.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

uXs posted:

As far as I see the most important issue with brexit is the Irish border, for which there are only a few possibilities.

So why don't they put the house (or hell, the population) to a vote? 3 choices:

1) Border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.
2) Border between UK and Northern Ireland.
3) Remain/Customs Union/whatever you want to call it.

Because that's what it comes down to.

1) Causes the troubles to restart. People die.
2) Splits the UK into single market/not single market. Think about how hosed up things will get. Northern Ireland will essentially be its own country and much closer to being part of Ireland than the UK. Good for Ireland maybe, not sure it's good for the rest of us and if I can be a bit selfish I think we can unite Ireland without the UK having to be economically destroyed.
3) Yeah.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ugh, just had to sit through a manager having a normal one about homeless people, and how lucrative begging is (£40 an hour? Sure :nallears:), and spend it all on drugs and BMWs.

Is there a good source for arguments to debunk this poo poo? I often struggle to keep my thoughts straight when it comes up because the lack of empathy just makes me so mad

A Swedish survey among Rumanian beggars I read a few years ago put the figure at around 50-70 Euros a day which I can accept.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is when I ask "if they get paid so well then why are you doing this poo poo job instead of begging?" and end up back on the dole.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder why people think tory MPs are idiots nadine

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1108315822462779392

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From a few pages back:

Update!

Corbyn to meet Barnier before May asks EU leaders for Brexit delay

quote:

The EU’s chief negotiator disclosed to ministers for the 27 member states on Tuesday evening that the Labour leader had sought the meeting.

Corbyn will see Barnier in the EU’s Berlaymont headquarters on Thursday morning. A few hours later in the Belgian capital, Theresa May will appeal to the EU’s heads of state and government to accept her expected request for a three-month delay to Brexit.

The appearance of Corbyn in Brussels at what Barnier told reporters on Tuesday evening was a “very, very sensitive” time will be cause of concern in Downing Street.

lmao

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what in the hell is this so24 business?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
This interesting times helldimension does at least allow for good pacing in this arc of things, last season just dragged on

They didn't get those thoughts from logic and fact, they got them through a lifetime of drip fed stories through outlets deemed socially respectable to their peers and largely beyond any question because they read it in the papers. It gets repeated to them by their peers and becomes their self reinforcing reality.

You aren't going to shift that mindset with any rhetorical device, set of figures or link that can be shared on facebook. You can try it, and they might even nod along at the time, and then be back on that bullshit a week later.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/business/debates/application-for-emergency-debates/ explains what it is

But basically it'll be a debate pushed by the backbenches trying to take control of Brexit away from the government.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You know it's pretty telling there are restraurants put on fire on the Champs Elysées and Macron threatening to declare all protestors as rioters and yet i don't feel as bad or anxious as a Frenchman as i feel for the people on the other side of the Channel. What an omnishambles.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

What the gently caress, that's just piling meat from the grayest elephant's leg I've ever seen on a frozen pizza margherita straight from Aldi. I like a good Turkish pizza and that ain't it. Full Swexit now. :sweden:

The pizza was baked on site and not form Aldi. And this is a glorious fusion of two cultures.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

You know it's pretty telling there are restraurants put on fire on the Champs Elysées and Macron threatening to declare all protestors as rioters and yet i don't feel as bad or anxious as a Frenchman as i feel for the people on the other side of the Channel. What an omnishambles.

The cops are responsible for that restaurant fire lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

Emergency debate motion:

quote:

24.—
(1)On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday a Member rising in his place at the commencement of public business may propose, in an application lasting not more than three minutes, that the House should debate a specific and important matter that should have urgent consideration. If the Speaker is satisfied that the matter is proper to be so debated, the Member shall either obtain the leave of the House, or, if such leave be refused, the assent of not fewer than forty Members who shall thereupon rise in their places to support the motion, or, if fewer than forty Members and not fewer than ten shall thereupon rise in their places, the House shall, on a division, upon question put forthwith, determine whether such motion shall be made.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

The problem is that the French have a long history of standing up to governments doing the dirty on them and we really really don't. Y'all looked at beheading lots of people & thought "this is useful because it scares the people in charge", we looked at bedding one King and decided it was too much, too quick.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 20, 2019

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

if it were that lucrative surely more peoe would do it

Put together a PowerPoint making the business case for hiring teenagers at minimum wage as urban financial recipients. £40 pounds an hour, 60 begging hours in a week, 10 franchises per city, pretty soon it adds up to real money.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sanford posted:

Through personal experience mate, just don't. Challenging stuff like that at work has definitely done me a lot more personal harm than it's achieved generic good. No-one's mind was changed.

Seconding e: Nth-ing this. They believe it because they want to, because the alternative is “homeless people may actually exist for real and my just cause universe beliefs can’t handle that” and nobody in the history of the world has been argued into having empathy

pick your battles, ask yourself “what do I want to result from this argument” and if the answer isn’t “to get fired actively or indirectly” this is not a fight you will win

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 20, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1108316359564365824

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1108321629459935232

Even by the standards of the Mail this is some obsequious bootlicking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Put together a PowerPoint making the business case for hiring teenagers at minimum wage as urban financial recipients. £40 pounds an hour, 60 begging hours in a week, 10 franchises per city, pretty soon it adds up to real money.
Yeah, this.

You can make points effectively without getting combative and argumentative if you enthusiastically drive it forward to its logical conclusion.

Maybe not full powerpoint presentation, but at least "is that something that we can monetize?"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How long between No Deal Brexit and British retirees living abroad in the EU being rounded up and forced back to Hell Island?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

How long between No Deal Brexit and British retirees living abroad in the EU being rounded up and forced back to Hell Island?
FYI we still don't know what will we do with Eramus' UK students after a brexit. Happy times for all ages!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It's going to be a tricky situation for sure, we should probably construct a Nauru style holding camp for them until we can work out what to do.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Seconding e: Nth-ing this. They believe it because they want to, because the alternative is “homeless people may actually exist for real and my just cause universe beliefs can’t handle that” and nobody in the history of the world has been argued into having empathy

pick your battles, ask yourself “what do I want to result from this argument” and if the answer isn’t “to get fired actively or indirectly” this is not a fight you will win

imo it is cowardly to not at least be a little snide when people say obviously unreasonable and reactionary thingd

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1108090773063565312

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Nobody knows. You think people have actually thought this through?

The more worrying question is how long between no deal brexit and 3 million working EU citizens including quite a lot who are functionally british but whose parents never bothered gertting them a brit passport (or for whom getting a brit passport woudl have meant not being able to get their EU country one) are deported? Including a decent proportion of our medcal professionals...

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Sanford posted:

Through personal experience mate, just don't. Challenging stuff like that at work has definitely done me a lot more personal harm than it's achieved generic good. No-one's mind was changed.

You do you, but I'm not prepared to give up on this.

I've been doing a Facebook fundraiser for a homeless charity for my birthday and recent events caused me to put together an effortpost because few people have the first clue what it's like. I've just got bits from stopping to chat with a few.

I'm just going to copy it in because it was difficult enough to write the first time. My mental health took a blow because of it, but sharing is cathartic.

Facebook effortpost posted:

Rough sleepers and beggars have an unbelievably awful time.

I said in the Story bit of the fundraiser that I'm familiar with a few of Manchester's rough sleepers.
Today as I was leaving work I discovered that one of them had been assaulted.

She was sat down. Someone walked over to her, announced "I've loads of money, but none for arseholes like you" and kicked her in the head, hard.
She had a very nasty bruise which looked swollen. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried for her. She was quite out of it, and I'm hoping that was just the painkillers the hospital gave her.

To make matters worse this isn't even an unusual incident, even just for her.
Last year someone tried to run her over with a motorcycle, and she was fortunate to only have a hand crushed, which is still in a pretty poor state.

Last year someone set her brother on fire while he was sleeping, leaving him with some nasty burns, and a couple of years before he was assaulted while sleeping and had multiple years worth of savings towards a deposit to get off the streets stolen.
He managed it briefly after getting in contact with a relative who contributed towards a deposit, but the mess of a welfare state we've got left didn't work to keep him that way.

Another I'm familiar with had all his teeth knocked out one night by someone stamping on his face, and there was one point when I was worried I'd never see him again because after being assaulted he was left with an infection that couldn't be treated effectively because he was allergic to the anti-biotics that would normally be used, and was at risk of dying of septicaemia.

I know these stories, and others because I stopped to chat with a few people.
These aren't unique stories, they aren't even exhaustive of all the ones I know, and I don't know all of the stories of the rough sleepers that I do know.
They were just ones that I happened to be the first sympathetic face to see them after it happened to. The motorcycle incident even just a few minutes afterward, I made sure she could get a taxi to the hospital to get it seen to as soon as possible.
Every rough sleeper or beggar you see on the street has stories like this. Every single one.

We live in a society that dehumanises rough sleepers and beggars, tells us that they are where they are because they deserve it, that they are where they are because of some moral failing, tells us that they're deceiving us, that they don't need help, that our own charity would be wasted on them because they'll spend it on something to take the edge off their bleak existence, and that they're a drain on our resources.

Why?
Why is the world like this?
My best answer is that the alternative is admitting that it _could_ happen to you at any point, that you're a short chain of unlucky breaks away from being there yourself, and that the length of that chain depends on your privilege and luck.
Because if you realised that surely you've an obligation to do something about it.
Maybe you don't because you're struggling with your own challenges, or worse, you benefit from things the way they are.
It may be that we don't even need to be particularly well off to benefit from things being this way.

You don't need to do a lot to make the world a better place. Acknowledging a beggar's existence is more than most people do and makes a difference. A bit of change can make a big difference to someone's day. Donations to charities helps.

To make this problem go away for good needs a pervasive change in attitudes. This won't happen any time soon, but we can start doing that by challenging what people say and think. If I've been at all convincing please bear what I've said in mind for the next time you hear someone say "they'll only spend it on drugs" or "they're not really homeless! they're putting it on to take advantage of strangers' generosity".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, this.

You can make points effectively without getting combative and argumentative if you enthusiastically drive it forward to its logical conclusion.

Maybe not full powerpoint presentation, but at least "is that something that we can monetize?"

That's the most passive aggressively combative suggestion I've ever seen to dealing with this issue, what are you talking about?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

DesperateDan posted:

They didn't get those thoughts from logic and fact, they got them through a lifetime of drip fed stories through outlets deemed socially respectable to their peers and largely beyond any question because they read it in the papers. It gets repeated to them by their peers and becomes their self reinforcing reality.

You aren't going to shift that mindset with any rhetorical device, set of figures or link that can be shared on facebook. You can try it, and they might even nod along at the time, and then be back on that bullshit a week later.

A specific TV show, in this case. 60 Days on the Street or something? Which I haven't seen but sounds a lot like heavily editorialised bollocks designed to reinforce these views in the name of good television.

Thankfully she's not my direct manager, we just share an office (and I already didn't like her because she's got that sensible tory voter feel).

Necrothatcher posted:

Put an anonymous tip in to the head office (if there is one) about the manager's offensive views (do not specify what they are at this point) and unprofessional behaviour at work. Emphasise that the working environment is becoming uncomfortable and that staff (i.e. you) are becoming distressed.

Basically, keep things vague enough so they assume the worst about what he/she's views are.

If it was a habit I might, but I've been here almost a year and this is the first time it's come up. I had some backup from another member of staff too, and most of everyone else here is decently lefty, so I'm not feeling exceptionally put upon.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AdrianHarrop/status/1108286824638832640

:thunk:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's a good homeless people charity to give money to?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

V. Illych L. posted:

imo it is cowardly to not at least be a little snide when people say obviously unreasonable and reactionary thingd

I've got a personnel folder full of written warnings, recorded discussions and perfectly good reviews that didn't lead to a payrise, all of which agrees with you. It's not worth it. Pick your battles. Don't be me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats following this. Ben Shapiro is also a massive transphobe unsurprisingly

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1107763015917731840

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

thespaceinvader posted:

Nobody knows. You think people have actually thought this through?

The more worrying question is how long between no deal brexit and 3 million working EU citizens including quite a lot who are functionally british but whose parents never bothered gertting them a brit passport (or for whom getting a brit passport woudl have meant not being able to get their EU country one) are deported? Including a decent proportion of our medcal professionals...

Just the announcement of Brexit caused nursing staff to stop emigrating to the UK. I hope losing 10 percent of your doctors (for racists, the good ones) won't outweigh the pride of returning to the old days of Empire.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Regarde Aduck posted:

1) Causes the troubles to restart. People die.
2) Splits the UK into single market/not single market. Think about how hosed up things will get. Northern Ireland will essentially be its own country and much closer to being part of Ireland than the UK. Good for Ireland maybe, not sure it's good for the rest of us and if I can be a bit selfish I think we can unite Ireland without the UK having to be economically destroyed.
3) Yeah.

It was sort of a rethorical question to begin with.

The reason they don't put it as starkly as this is because 1 (NDB) is terrible and possibly illegal or even treason (and will make everyone who votes for it a target for the IRA), 2 (Sea border) is basically making NI independent and that's, um, I have no idea what would happen, maybe Unionist violence?, so 3 is really the only sensible option.

At least some hard-line brexiteers must realise this and are just running down the clock to arrive at option 1 (NDB) by default without actually having to explicitly vote for it. What is weird is how no remainers are putting this out there, or if they do, why are they not yelling this more loudly.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sakurazuka posted:

Shelter and Crisis are both very good, and just about every city and town has its own charity for local homeless people these days. You're depressingly spoiled for choice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

That's the most passive aggressively combative suggestion I've ever seen to dealing with this issue, what are you talking about?
It puts them on the back foot without being aggressive or starting an argument. Unless you really want an argument with your boss about ingrained reactionary beliefs that they aren't going to change because of an argument.

Sakurazuka posted:

In the current environment? Probably your local one or actual homeless people.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Sakurazuka posted:

Ideally a small local one. The money goes further than it does at national ones.
Shelter are ok for helping people with their tenants rights to not end up homeless, but if it's too late for that, according to friends who have been homeless, they're pretty poo poo.
Coffee4craig and Mustard Tree are the two in Manchester that have been recommended to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1108319878811922432

lol Theresa May has even lost control of the Whips but the government is still being held up. Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I find talking about what you do and why is better than trying to argue about what someone else thinks. I know it's not the kindest and most dignified way to deal with it but when homeless people ask for money on the occasion where I've actually got some I ask what the guy needs and go buy it. Occasionally it's "I want money for a bus ticket to the hospital" and I'll say "I'll buy the ticket" but they say "can you not just give me the money?". I can't say if they're being dishonest or just not wanting me to go out of my way, but what I'll do in that situation is buy a dayrider ticket that gives someone unlimited bus travel in the city limits for the rest of the day. I do that because the ticket is transferrable, and I can find the person in the street and hand them the ticket. Even then I think what I do is harsh. No one questions me if I want to acquire alcohol and drink myself into a sad lonely stupor on a park bench, but in my system I'm effectively supervising the homeless spending my charity. One guy I worked with talked about his approach to it all "if he's going to cheat me that's on him, but if I'm not going to give to a guy who's asking for help when I have the means then that's on me."

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 20, 2019