Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

So much irritating behavior out in the world boils down to people acting as though they're the only ones around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hirayuki posted:

So much irritating behavior out in the world boils down to people acting as though they're the only ones around.

Working special events for a university was a case study in solipsistic rich old people. Every goddamn time people would camp out in high traffic doorways and get annoyed when people needed to get through. Same goes for the folks who would hit the snack table and just turn around and stand right there to talk to someone.

That was also the job where my women co-workers couldn't help much with guest herding because a pretty young woman even suggesting a course of action to an older woman is absolutely scandalous in upper class southern society.

Worst were the ones who would just light up cigars, indoors, in the 21st century.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My mother: Complains about people who come to a halt right after entering a store.
Also my mother: Comes to a halt right after entering a store to arrange her purse and shopping bags just right on the cart.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just plow into people that are walking toward me while staring at their phone. I do a half hearted apology and keep walking and they are always so shocked they don't know how to react. gently caress you and I hope you trip and break your chin next time.

Only do this if you're big.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Or they’re small

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
my peeve is when someone uses their physicality to intimidate others over dumb bullshit because they "deserve it"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are the same people that stare at their phone while driving. A rude awakening is a good thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just plow into people who are driving at me while staring at their phone. I do a half hearted apology and bleed on their front bumper and they are always so shocked they don't know how to react.

e. Only do this if you are impervious to all harm.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Only use your physicality to threaten children and pets imo

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If I see someone on their phone I sit down in the ground in their path then cry and act like my legs are broken when they trip over me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I carry an EMP pulse weapon which deactivates electronic devices at a distance of ten meters, with a cooldown rate of 30sec - 10% with the heat-sink mod.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Should I see anyone using a mobile telephone in public I immediately avert my gaze lest I be overcome by the sight of such vulgarity.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If I see someone on their phone in public, I start a loud monologue about how millennials :argh: have been ruined by cell phones and social media, and back in my day people actually talked to each other, and they got real news from a newspaper, and people had actual attention spans, and :bahgawd:.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In my day I had to press 1 three times just to make a c, and we typed out our smilies. None of this emoji keyboard crap.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In those times, before the magnetosphere was a footnote of history for the avid meteorology student, men and women were tethered together by the unbreaking lines of potential communication. True isolation was only to be found in the catacombs below the city; it is there my kind accrued like the wind-blown detritus collects in obscure blind alleys. We went by false names or no names at all; vows of silence, those who swore fealty to the dark's shroud of anonymity, those who thrived more on the forgetting than the rememberance of the past's ephemeral pleasures and pains. All this to say we dwelt as rats: a fetid orgy of unmonitored society, as inviting in its criminal dangers as it was offensive in its comfortable humanity. Wrongs and rights were forgotten alike, a testament to the brief flash of our animal lives as well as a contrast to the surface-people who stowed their lost moments in plastic boxes. We were truly free in our naked servility to our base natures; as all freedoms it attracted a deadly envy, the ever-present undoing of Nirvana.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I had a pedestrian who wasn't paying attention run into my stopped car with enough momentum to do a weird roll over my hood. People need to look up from their phones every once in a while.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I just plow into people that are walking toward me while staring at their phone. I do a half hearted apology and keep walking and they are always so shocked they don't know how to react.
I do this to people with arms akimbo in the middle of loving pedestrian traffic: walk slightly too close and jog their elbow. Get your loving elbow(s) out of the way!

See above re: people thinking they're the only ones around.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

rodbeard posted:

I had a pedestrian who wasn't paying attention run into my stopped car with enough momentum to do a weird roll over my hood. People need to look up from their phones every once in a while.
Bold defense argument but I'm not sure the jury will buy it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The brand of toothpaste I buy changed its flavour and I hate it, but I bought a double-pack without noticing the "new improved flavour" label so now I'll be stuck with it for months.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Tedious lowballers on selling sites like Craigslist.
I've been selling some stuff recently on my local equivalent, and it's so annoying.
I price my stuff reasonably, seeing what else is up on the site, and usually undercut them a bit so that mine is the cheapest.
And then invariably half of the people that contact me are chucklefucks coming with offers of roughly half that.

When I sold my Switch a lot of those same people would also have active listings for selling them, so they were probably just flipping the consoles whenever they found a mark willing to sell them cheap.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SubNat posted:

Tedious lowballers on selling sites like Craigslist.
I've been selling some stuff recently on my local equivalent, and it's so annoying.
I price my stuff reasonably, seeing what else is up on the site, and usually undercut them a bit so that mine is the cheapest.
And then invariably half of the people that contact me are chucklefucks coming with offers of roughly half that.

When I sold my Switch a lot of those same people would also have active listings for selling them, so they were probably just flipping the consoles whenever they found a mark willing to sell them cheap.

I get where you're coming from but this is exactly why i'll never offer stuff for sale at a fair price again. Always overprice it and "let" them haggle you down to what you actually want, that way they feel like they're getting "a deal". It's like watches, nobody wants to pay full price for them, so they're perpetually "on sale". Maybe toss in the nice face discount too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The thing is, I usually get the stuff sold for the price I want after a little while. It's just the first rounds of 'hm yes I can pick this up in 20 minutes also I'll pay 150$ for ur switch, how about it???' people are so tedious.

I see the point in doing the haggle route, but I just want to clear these things out so that I can buy other stuff, and if I do a high-but-haggle-down price then the listing is probably just going to stay up for weeks, like the ones I'm undercutting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess there's a tradeoff either way - when you see someone undercut a lot of people are going to assume you might be a desperate mark, so it's not surprising you get a lot of messages like that.

The whole process makes me wonder how anyone can enjoy selling stuff for a living. It's tiring. Haggling should just not exist, just pay the price or don't, I don't have time for this poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

The brand of toothpaste I buy changed its flavour and I hate it, but I bought a double-pack without noticing the "new improved flavour" label so now I'll be stuck with it for months.

I think this is when you get to send emails/letters to everyone involved, and see what you get. Just be like I'VE USED THIS poo poo FO YEARS AND NOW IT TASTES LIKE DOGSHIT GIMME SAMPLES OF OTHER PRODUCTS

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sales chat reminds me of a serious rear end peeve: Movement Watch ads, or “MVMT” as I think they’re called

They’re all a dumb screed about how I only need to pay a low price, starting at $100, to get a fashionable real man’s watch. How about gently caress off.

I get the need for watches in certain situations. Sometimes you can’t just whip out your phone.

But gently caress off with your machismo jewelry. “Starting at just $100?” Haha gently caress no.
A $10 digital POS is fine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A $10 digital POS is fine.

While we're at it, the Australia Tax.

This is a picture of a watch I took in an Australian jewelry store - a Casio W59.

$69.95AUD, or a shade under $50 USD.

This is a $10 watch in the US. You cannot tell me that shipping a loving watch costs that much.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Memento posted:

While we're at it, the Australia Tax.

This is a picture of a watch I took in an Australian jewelry store - a Casio W59.

$69.95AUD, or a shade under $50 USD.

This is a $10 watch in the US. You cannot tell me that shipping a loving watch costs that much.

It's to prevent terrorisims.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A $10 POS is fine for telling the time, but it's the one piece of jewelry a man gets to wear so I can understand someone spending a few hundred on something they like to look at. It's not like people don't spend thousands on bracelets that don't do anything at all.

Also, cheap Casios kick rear end. I'm wearing an F-91W that's survived all sorts of crazy poo poo over the years including getting submerged in acetone, and I've got another one that my mom bought for me in 1995 that is still going on the original battery.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a lifelong Warhammer nerd, australian Warhammer prices have always baffled me. I would understand a nonzero markup, since the models are made at a few plants in the UK and maybe US? (I think the US ones are now closed) and have to be shipped.

But the australian prices are more than double the UK price. To the point that it’s common for australian Warhammer nerds to just buy direct from the UK or US online stores and eat the shipping cost rather than paying the dumbass prices.

Also doesn’t this even happen with Steam games and netflix and poo poo?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

A $10 POS is fine for telling the time, but it's the one piece of jewelry a man gets to wear so I can understand someone spending a few hundred on something they like to look at. It's not like people don't spend thousands on bracelets that don't do anything at all.

Personally, I'm eventually hoping to be the guy with dozens of rings seemingly cutting off my fat, hairknuckle fingers as the coaster-sized saint medallion slaps my chest with each machismo-fueled gesture I make.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also doesn’t this even happen with Steam games and netflix and poo poo?

Yep. It is absolutely nothing to do with shipping costs, that's just a bullshit excuse they sometimes like to use.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also, cheap Casios kick rear end. I'm wearing an F-91W that's survived all sorts of crazy poo poo over the years including getting submerged in acetone, and I've got another one that my mom bought for me in 1995 that is still going on the original battery.

Having had an actual smart watch, I agree. One thing that I learned having a smart watch is, that it's just like that Fast Traxx you got when you were 11. It's really cool for a while, but eventually it just gets relegated to the closet never to be used again.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Going by the prices I've seen mentioned in the Switch thread, it's probably cheaper for Australians to fly to Japan and buy physical copies of the games and movies they want than to stay home and download them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Netflix "new releases" that have been on Netflix for a year.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MightyJoe36 posted:

Netflix "new releases" that have been on Netflix for a year.

Netflix automatically setting up the next episode to play and yet asking me five times if I'm still watching Love, Death & Robots. Don't set them up if you are worried I'm not there anymore. Why do they do this?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Stop trying to make me eat or drink cordyceps! I won't do it!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Netflix automatically setting up the next episode to play and yet asking me five times if I'm still watching Love, Death & Robots. Don't set them up if you are worried I'm not there anymore. Why do they do this?
To give the appearance of convenience, while also saving on streaming costs because holy gently caress that feature has to save literal millions a year in bandwidth alone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Stop trying to make me eat or drink cordyceps! I won't do it!

Lol look at this idiot who isn’t scaling the exterior wall of their home, work, or place of entertainment as we post

It’s beautiful up here

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

what the hell happened to youtube today? All of a sudden my recommendations (which were always pretty useless in the first place) are now half stuff in arabic/russian, and the other half is either videos I already watched but mostly things like random gaming channels/reaction videos totally unrelated to anything I've ever watched.

I thought maybe someone hacked my account and was watching a bunch of weird poo poo all day, but nope, the view history is just stuff I watched.

gently caress you youtube, just when I think you can't possibly get any worse....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I looked up the Jim Jefferies Podcast channel and found it was full of mobile PUBG videos from a Vietnamese twitch streamer.

YouTube is kinda fucky right now, it's not just you.