Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What we have taken from Kamiki Sekai is that if you are completely one-dimensional, you should remain a support character and let the MC do its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Remember the build up to his master being female doumon and the payoff we got was... A brief shot in the last episode, rather than her getting actual screen time which could have been amazing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ka0 posted:

What we have taken from Kamiki Sekai is that if you are completely one-dimensional, you should remain a support character and let the MC do its thing.

This is extremely true.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

G Gundam. It's a good time, and the dub really brings out the ham in a good way.

If you're looking for something to have on in the background while you build gunpla, G Gundam is probably the best for this reason alone unless you actually do speak Japanese.

Omnicrom posted:

Everything involving Sekai kind of sucks except his sister, and again that episode where his sister is center-stage is actually a Yuma episode as well.

Mirai kind of sucked too really, and was a female Sekai in a lot of ways; great martial artist who stumbles in to greatness in a new field with little effort or challenge. Only she was a model now, while Sekai was in to gunpla fighting. She just kind of lands the gunpla hosting thing after the intended host can no longer do it due to pregnancy, and there's no indication she cares about it or had to work for it that I recall for instance. Then as soon as she appears, the entire crowd goes nuts and falls in love with her. She just didn't have as overwhelming a screen presence for it to become grating.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will stand right by you and insist this is what had to have happened, but it almost certainly happened a lot earlier in the script-drafting, because it just makes a hard turn into the Sekai Show from around episode 2-ish. Even Sekai just goes right down the toilet as a character because he has a brief semblance of personality and the ability to emote at the start. He even actually does some neat martial arts stuff like the blade-break with a Dom.

I'm pretty sure Fumina stops using the GM after the first episode, but Sekai is decent until about episode 4 if I recall, and I remember kind of liking the episode where he goes to a gunpla store to build his own SD, then clowns on some kids because he can't hold back; before the Tryon3 builder guy clowns on Sekai for rubbing his skill in a bunch of kids faces. I liked the realization that he was dogshit at using range weapons early on too. Until he kind of wasn't, since those fire phoenix things are range weapons too.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It was literally the only good bit of Try, and even then it ends in the worst way possible.

I think that's a bit of an over-statement, and there was plenty of hype after the first episode when Sekai was going around doing the Domon "Have you seen this person?" bit, along with breaking a Gundam out of a Dom gunpla along with Fumina seeming to be the protagonist and trying to force Sekai to join her.

Kanos posted:

I maintain to this day that Sekai would have been a really great character if he remained as a supporting member of the cast instead of the focus. "Dumbass martial arts goon gets into gunpla for fun" is a fantastic hook but it's not enough to hang your protagonist on. As a side character serving as an excuse to explain what the gently caress a gunpla is to the audience and to provide occasional badass martial arts moments/entertaining dumbassery he would have ruled.

I remember hoping for a protagonist like Sekai after Build Fighters, and think he absolutely could have worked as the main character with a bit of reworking. Mainly, to show him becoming invested in gunpla for it's own sake rather than purely as an analogue for his love of martial arts, secondly by not having the entire cast fall all over themselves to suck his plastic dong, thirdly by having him need to build his own gunpla (even if it's with help) at the half way point instead of having Sei's gunpla for the entire show and finally by letting the rest of the cast have lives outside of their worship for him. There's really nothing especially magical about Sei/Reiji as characters or majorly different betweem them and Sekai that renders him fundamentally unlikable as a protagonist. It was just lovely execution.

That said, I would have also loved to see the show lean more in to the idea of him developing gunpla martial arts based on his own knowledge of actual martial arts, targeting the weak points of gunpla instead of the stress points of the body as an analogue to Hokuto Shinken or Folka from Super Robot Wars God Fist martial arts. I really like the idea of the edgy rival character trying to challenge the main character to a bloody duel and the main character instead forcing him to agree to a gunpla battle, and then showing the fruits of his love of gunpla by demonstrating an entirely new martial art focused through it and the rival having to run away in shame while professing that he'll master this gunpla martial art! :argh:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually liked Fumina and Yuuma in the final fight, they made a good team.
Hell it even had Sekai fighting with one of his many stupid lovers somewhere else unable to spoil it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure Fumina stops using the GM after the first episode, but Sekai is decent until about episode 4 if I recall, and I remember kind of liking the episode where he goes to a gunpla store to build his own SD, then clowns on some kids because he can't hold back; before the Tryon3 builder guy clowns on Sekai for rubbing his skill in a bunch of kids faces. I liked the realization that he was dogshit at using range weapons early on too. Until he kind of wasn't, since those fire phoenix things are range weapons too.

Watch Try again. She uses the Cardigan all the way until the regional tournament debut; she takes Sekai to the gundam front store and they have a battle with Minato of all people, who just up and delivers a custom 1/100 Queen Mansa. It is also interesting to watch Fumina consider other suit options like the Zephyrantes or the GM from thunderbolt.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ka0 posted:

Watch Try again.

You MONSTER.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've only watched Gaogaigar. I feel I should watch Might Gaine but that may be entirely because of its recent appearances in all those shiny new SRWs I can't play.

Might Gaine's last third or so still only has bootleg subs so it's a rough watch RN. J-Decker is amazing though and something I would heartily recommend. I'm going through all the Brave shows in order rn and making a big review post after each one in the general mecha thread, if anyone here would be interested in such things.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Pureauthor posted:

If you wanna watch a Wing Gundam (or at least a variany of it) being awesome you really should watch more Build Fighters.

Oh, was there one? The only Wing-type I'm aware of just by browsing the shelves was the Wing Zero Honoo, maybe I'll check it out sometime!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Remember the build up to his master being female doumon and the payoff we got was... A brief shot in the last episode, rather than her getting actual screen time which could have been amazing.

And his master was just Domon, no gender flip. The gender-swap Domon was just some fan art.

They could have done so much with that, but like everything else Try attempted, it just ended up a wet fart.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Merilan posted:

Oh, was there one? The only Wing-type I'm aware of just by browsing the shelves was the Wing Zero Honoo, maybe I'll check it out sometime!

Yes, the wing gundam does get a pretty good amount of love in build fighters

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Merilan posted:

The Honoo is from a side story photonovel. The Wing Gundam from the anime is the Fenice, which is one of the major reoccurring models in the show (it's also the Best Gundam, and the opponent of one of the best Gundam fights ever written, but I'm horribly biased).

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Honoo is from a side story photonovel. The Wing Gundam from the anime is the Fenice, which is one of the major reoccurring models in the show (it's also the Best Gundam, and the opponent of one of the best Gundam fights ever written, but I'm horribly biased).

... I don't know how I forgot about the Fenice given I have a model it of it, albeit the Alba (the one that's blue like the original Wing Gundam colors).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm not biased and the Star Build Strike vs Wing Gundam Fenice is an amazing fight.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Merilan posted:

The Honoo is a really fun HG to build and pose. Great color separation, lots of options and the transformation if that’s your thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

The Honoo is a beautiful kit and moreso with the extra hobbyjapan parts they released

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminds me that someday I need to get either an 00 or Quanta and load it up with all the optional parts to create an abomination of swords

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me that someday I need to get either an 00 or Quanta and load it up with all the optional parts to create an abomination of swords

I have the quanta, it's sword is so unwieldly it needs it's own stand.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

I highly recommend G Gundam.
It's a good time, and the dub really brings out the ham in a good way.

Seconded. Every single mouth in that dub is chewing the scenery. The fights are good too. The plot is Scooby-Doo + Kung Fu. It's just perfectly stupid, I love it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Seconded. Every single mouth in that dub is chewing the scenery. The fights are good too. The plot is Scooby-Doo + Kung Fu. It's just perfectly stupid, I love it.

ANSWER ME, DOMON!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I actually liked Fumina and Yuuma in the final fight, they made a good team.
Hell it even had Sekai fighting with one of his many stupid lovers somewhere else unable to spoil it.

Yeah, it's just one of those things that keeps on underlining how poo poo Sekai is as a character when you remove him and suddenly Fumina and Yuuma have a much better dynamic and a great 2v2 fight.

tsob posted:

Mirai kind of sucked too really, and was a female Sekai in a lot of ways; great martial artist who stumbles in to greatness in a new field with little effort or challenge. Only she was a model now, while Sekai was in to gunpla fighting. She just kind of lands the gunpla hosting thing after the intended host can no longer do it due to pregnancy, and there's no indication she cares about it or had to work for it that I recall for instance. Then as soon as she appears, the entire crowd goes nuts and falls in love with her. She just didn't have as overwhelming a screen presence for it to become grating.

Mirai actually shows initiative in what she does, and has a personality. She has a lot in common with Sekai, which makes sense as they're siblings, but manages to actually have a modicum of effortput into designing her and an actual arc to her character from model to Gunpla spokesmodel. Nevermind just sack-tapping a guy's Gunpla.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Warmachine posted:

And his master was just Domon, no gender flip. The gender-swap Domon was just some fan art.

They could have done so much with that, but like everything else Try attempted, it just ended up a wet fart.

This really bothered my because Domon already existed in the Build Fighters world. We saw him as a child building models with Kyoji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ethiser posted:

This really bothered my because Domon already existed in the Build Fighters world. We saw him as a child building models with Kyoji.

To play Devil Gundam's advocate, Earth has too many humans and I think unleashing a nanomachine powered zombie plague is a great way to get productive use out of them while avoiding damage to the environment.

To play a more conventional devil's advocate, Try takes place about 7 years after the original. If you assume that Domon was 13-ish in Build Fighters and just looked young for his age, then he'd be 20 in Try, the same age as he was at the start of Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

ANSWER ME, DOMON!

The School of the Undefeated of the East!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

To play a more conventional devil's advocate, Try takes place about 7 years after the original. If you assume that Domon was 13-ish in Build Fighters and just looked young for his age, then he'd be 20 in Try, the same age as he was at the start of Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Doesn't work. He taught Mirai as well as Sekai, and had been giving lessons for years.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Mr. Ral was 35 in both series

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

The dub made the excellent decision of adding this sort of echo effect to the attack names and holy poo poo did that loving rule.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Mr. Ral was 35 in both series

I’m not sure what’s wrong with this.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Nothing will ever beat Rain getting into the Rising Gundam. The music, Tragic Footsteps, loving rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Domon versus multiple steam engines.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll try to get the Gihren's Greed thread started at the end of the week, because boy howdy have I been playing a lot!

In the past week or so, I decided to get a PSP-3000 because pretty much every game in the series except for the Saturn original saw a release on the PSP. So not only do I now have the benefit of having access to more of the games, I can play them on the go or when relaxing on the couch while the wife and I have something else on TV.

I decided to start the PSP collection with Blood of Zeon, and it's an odd one. Most guides out there on the internet for it are woefully incomplete, especially with regards to one of its major additions - diplomacy. I'm currently in the process of divining the moon runes that describe it in the manual, because I keep getting the feeling that I'm missing out on a major aspect of the game that I'm not taking full advantage of (that I definitely have been sub-optimal in my attempts to use).

Compared to the Saturn version, there are things I like/dislike about it which I'll go into full detail in the OP/thread. But I did decide to play through it as the Federation and the early game is... tedious, but interesting. You very much have to human wave Zeon with Type-61s and hopefully take enough of Earth away from them that you can pivot towards MS production to put them down for good. The AI is laughably terrible in space combat - I haven't lost a single one of my starter Salamis/Magellans yet, and I'm routinely clowning on stacks of MS with mass Salamis/Magellan fire. I've managed to wrest control of the major space travel lanes and the skies above Earth with my starter forces plus some Saberfish squads. I also threw Yazan in the Proto Gundam and have him patrolling space alongside a refit Salamis (plus a squad of Balls and Saberfish), and despite looking like a goober he is chewing through Zeon squads and aces with aplomb.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
What mobile suit was most purpose built for doing war crimes? I'm going to rule out anything from Turn-A since erasing civilization multiple times wins by default, but I don't really know what the spectrum is between that and like, the GP02 and it's atomic bazooka/wing zero's TBR scale of doing war crimes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What mobile suit was most purpose built for doing war crimes? I'm going to rule out anything from Turn-A since erasing civilization multiple times wins by default, but I don't really know what the spectrum is between that and like, the GP02 and it's atomic bazooka/wing zero's TBR scale of doing war crimes.

Probably the Divinidad

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The GP-02 is the most directly war crimey machine in the literal sense, because it was deliberately built in open violation of an existing treaty theoretically outlawing its very existence.

In terms of genocide potential it's definitely the Divinidad, which is basically just "giant newtype mobile armor + a shitpile of nukes" and was deliberately built with the intent of wiping out all life on earth. It didn't technically violate any laws of war though, since Dogatie considered Earth just something to be exterminated.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 20, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I think there was a Zaku variant designed specifically to gas colonies.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The Bugs onboard the Rafflesia give its crimes a personal touch. It's more like hate crime than war crime.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Dainsleif equipped Grazes perform literal, illegal war crimes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solkanar512 posted:

Dainsleif equipped Grazes perform literal, illegal war crimes.

But Grazes weren't built for that, that was a later addition.

Now, the Gundam Flauros? That one was built for the sake of that particular war-crime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Grazes weren't built for that, that was a later addition.

Now, the Gundam Flauros? That one was built for the sake of that particular war-crime.

No it wasn't, it was built specifically to kill Warcrimes. Big self-repairing mobile ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
So I just realized the other day that Gundam Battle Operation 2 is a thing, and have been having a lot of fun playing in spite of the sometimes slow matchmaking.

Is there any advantage to partying up, from the perspective of an American playing during weird hours for Japanese players? Or could it actually make it worse?