Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So you don't spend 1900 on groceries.

I need to get a Freedom card, because I'm pretty sure I can max all those rotating quarters pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

No Butt Stuff posted:

So you don't spend 1900 on groceries.

I need to get a Freedom card, because I'm pretty sure I can max all those rotating quarters pretty easily.

Hey use the referral page to get some extrabucks back

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will. Over 5/24 right now and I can't PC a Sapphire to Freedom :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I added Chase Freedom to the sheet, it went away but came back.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hey use the referral page to get some extrabucks back

Could we get a referral page on there for the CIP? It's such a great card for anyone who has a business, or is willing to have a 'business'.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Done. Thanks!

EDIT: I lost the column with the ref bonus, I filled them back in, but if what I put is wrong, let me know.

h0llyw00d
Feb 18, 2015

lgcty5 posted:

Could we get a referral page on there for the CIP? It's such a great card for anyone who has a business, or is willing to have a 'business'.

Does anyone mind doing this? Maybe because I'm on my phone but I don't see anything for the CIP.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Done. Thanks!

EDIT: I lost the column with the ref bonus, I filled them back in, but if what I put is wrong, let me know.

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Done. Thanks!

Chase Freedom gives $50 in UR to the referrer (5,000 points) and the signup bonus spend offer is usually $150; CFU & CSP give $100 in UR (10,000 points) and their signup bonus spend offers are usually $150 and $500, respectively.

Discover is normally $50 for both, now as a statement credit instead of Cashback Bonus.

Amex referral depends on what card the referral was originally generated from.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003
If you sign up with a new account the eBates site can also be used to earn Amex MR points, which I personally find much more valuable than cash. The transfer-partner value can be insane, especially if you want to travel round trip to Asia or Europe on points.

lgcty5 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 16, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

lgcty5 posted:

If you sign up with a new account the eBates site can also be used to earn Amex MR points, which I personally find much more valuable than cash. The transfer-partner value can be insane, especially if you want to travel round trip to Asia or Europe on points.

I am planning on doing this after the next Big Fat Check cutoff time (March 31 I think?).

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

astral posted:

I am planning on doing this after the next Big Fat Check cutoff time (March 31 I think?).

I believe that's it. I went ahead and did it as soon as they announced the MR link because I buy all kinds of stuff anyway from Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc. and I've already earned several thousand MR just from my organic spending (plus the sign up bonus) in a few weeks. If you use a referral link it gives $10, which translates to 1,000 MR. No contest on the value! Plus they regularly have 5%-20% back on a bunch of pretty major websites/stores/hotels/airlines etc. If you can't tell, I'm excited about the value proposition here- you can use a card that gets a category bonus/hit MSR AND earn a ton of MR points at the same time.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Weird I just checked the MR Ebates link and my American Express account (I have a BCP account) and it did not allow me to sign in. It said my account is not eligible.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Weird I just checked the MR Ebates link and my American Express account (I have a BCP account) and it did not allow me to sign in. It said my account is not eligible.

Do you have any Amex cards that earn Membership Rewards points? BCP earns "Reward Dollars" which are different.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Blew 180k Chase points for the Park Hyatt in Paris. :toot: Park Hyatt Milan was awesome when we stayed there so hopefully this should be good too.

We still have a bunch of Amex points between the two of us. Are there any similarly good MR transfer partners for hotel stays, or is it mainly flights? MR points seem tough to use for decent flight redemptions as it is.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 17, 2019

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Blew 180k Chase points for the Park Hyatt in Paris. :toot: Park Hyatt Milan was awesome when we stayed there so hopefully this should be good too.

We still have a bunch of Amex points between the two of us. Are there any similarly good MR transfer partners for hotel stays, or is it mainly flights? MR points seem tough to use for decent flight redemptions as it is.

MR is pretty crappy for hotels, but amazing for flights IF you transfer to partners. For example, ANA is ~50k round trip from the US to Japan in Economy, ~85k round trip in Business (and it is true lay-flat suite style business). Europe is a similar value, especially if you are interested in flying Business class or above. BA Avios is great for 'short' jumps within the US/Caribbean/Mexico, etc. Amex usually has some sort of transfer bonus promotion running, so you can get even more out of your points if you hit things right.

We have the SW Companion Pass, so I mostly use MR for international flights and have been really impressed with the outsized value you can get. Love Chase for transferring to Hyatt though! What a great redemption in Paris and Milan! We mostly stay at Regencys because we travel 6-7 weeks a year and I try to cover everything with points. I've heard some of the PHs can be an experience in and of themselves!

lgcty5 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 17, 2019

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Do you have any Amex cards that earn Membership Rewards points? BCP earns "Reward Dollars" which are different.

That'd be the reason. What's a good AMEX for MR points? Preferably something with no annual fee.

I think the AMEX EveryDay card may be a good deal. I have to pay my 6mo car insurance bill next month, so I can get $600 of the promo spend really easily. No annual fee, all that jazz. I just signed up for it using one of the ref links on the form.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 17, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What are the sweet spots for airline redemptions for Citi TY points? I have to use my corporate card for all my travel (:argh:), but at least I get 1 TY point for every dollar spent and I’ll get like 60-70k of these per year. I was bummed they don’t transfer to either AA where I have the bulk of my miles or united, but if there are other travel partners that would give a good international premium cabin redemption, that’d be worth it.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

What are the sweet spots for airline redemptions for Citi TY points? I have to use my corporate card for all my travel (:argh:), but at least I get 1 TY point for every dollar spent and I’ll get like 60-70k of these per year. I was bummed they don’t transfer to either AA where I have the bulk of my miles or united, but if there are other travel partners that would give a good international premium cabin redemption, that’d be worth it.

The best 'bang for your buck/ cost per point' use of TYP that I know of is the work-around transfer to VS (Virgin Atlantic) and then use them to book ANA round trip premium cabins to Japan. You can get round trip first class for 110k-120k points. Business is around 90k when booked that way. VS is also a transfer partner of UR, MR, etc. but I'd use TYP up first unless the other currencies are having transfer bonus specials.

Heads up, you need to look for those tickets basically a year in advance if you want to go during peak season. If you're flexible, you can find ok availability closer in during the off season. There are some specific rules for booking with VS, so I would look into that and see if you think it's worth it.

You can also use VS miles to book Delta flights for way less points than Delta itself charges. 60k will get you one way to lots of places in the Delta One Suites, for example.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That'd be the reason. What's a good AMEX for MR points? Preferably something with no annual fee.

I think the AMEX EveryDay card may be a good deal. I have to pay my 6mo car insurance bill next month, so I can get $600 of the promo spend really easily. No annual fee, all that jazz. I just signed up for it using one of the ref links on the form.

Yeah, the Everyday is a good no-AF MR card. Even lets you use the transfer to airline stuff iirc.

It's good to have an MR card for the MR-based amex offers, too. And things like the Amazon % off for using 1 MR deals.

Residency Evil posted:

If you give up on MR transfer partners, there's always the Schwab Plat 1.25c cashout option.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Dang it, I can't pay my insurance bill with the Amex, they don't take it. That was most of the promotional spend right there. I'll need to figure out what I can move to it in the next couple months to hit $1000. All my purchases are basically mapped out on 5% cards, but I guess I can make room for it.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Long shot, but does your insurance accept PayPal?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

lgcty5 posted:

MR is pretty crappy for hotels, but amazing for flights IF you transfer to partners. For example, ANA is ~50k round trip from the US to Japan in Economy, ~85k round trip in Business (and it is true lay-flat suite style business). Europe is a similar value, especially if you are interested in flying Business class or above. BA Avios is great for 'short' jumps within the US/Caribbean/Mexico, etc. Amex usually has some sort of transfer bonus promotion running, so you can get even more out of your points if you hit things right.

We have the SW Companion Pass, so I mostly use MR for international flights and have been really impressed with the outsized value you can get. Love Chase for transferring to Hyatt though! What a great redemption in Paris and Milan! We mostly stay at Regencys because we travel 6-7 weeks a year and I try to cover everything with points. I've heard some of the PHs can be an experience in and of themselves!

MR can be crappy for hotels. However what I do because I am a poor is pick the city I'm interested in, then sort by price starting from the lowest. Instead of their 'most relevant' (sponsored) sort. Then I try to pick one a little further down the list because the first ones listed are usually some ridiculous rating like 1/5 stars out of hundreds of tripadvisor reviews, so I try to find some reasonable balance.

Whoops actually I meant Chase points not MR, but it's probably closely comparable no?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Girbot posted:

Long shot, but does your insurance accept PayPal?

No they don't. I can move a few utilities over to it and get most of the spend with in three months.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread y'all, I'm here more for recommendations than rewards. I had an unexpected expense pop up (6k of car repairs) that I'd like to open a card to cover, and then pay down over 12 months... and you know keep the card open in case I need it probably, but I don't travel tons or have a small business so those sorts of rewards don't do a ton for me.

So basically I need a card with a pretty high limit (eek) and my credit isn't extremely good (goodish tho, 670-680 rn probably, still rebuilding from college lol), rewards aren't super important to me but lower interest is always neat! I just don't really know anything about credit card products offered these days.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Something Offal posted:

MR can be crappy for hotels. However what I do because I am a poor is pick the city I'm interested in, then sort by price starting from the lowest. Instead of their 'most relevant' (sponsored) sort. Then I try to pick one a little further down the list because the first ones listed are usually some ridiculous rating like 1/5 stars out of hundreds of tripadvisor reviews, so I try to find some reasonable balance.

Whoops actually I meant Chase points not MR, but it's probably closely comparable no?

I definitely get where you are coming from. I do that too in cities where there aren't strong transfer options! I think Chase UR can be way better than MR though if you have either the Sapphire Preferred or the Reserve since you are getting either 1.25 or 1.5 multiplier, making the rate much cheaper. There's not really a way to get that same level of discount with MR, unfortunately. Some people cash them out using the Schawb platinum card, but that is probably more complicated/involved than most people want to do.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread y'all, I'm here more for recommendations than rewards. I had an unexpected expense pop up (6k of car repairs) that I'd like to open a card to cover, and then pay down over 12 months... and you know keep the card open in case I need it probably, but I don't travel tons or have a small business so those sorts of rewards don't do a ton for me.

So basically I need a card with a pretty high limit (eek) and my credit isn't extremely good (goodish tho, 670-680 rn probably, still rebuilding from college lol), rewards aren't super important to me but lower interest is always neat! I just don't really know anything about credit card products offered these days.

Based on the Nerdwallet 0% APR recommendations, and the pattern of cards recommended by others here and on reddit, the Chase Freedom or the Citi Double-Cash might be good. The former has 0% APR for 15 months, and the latter for 18 months. However, the CF will give you a $150 bonus plus 1% rewards ($210 total for 6k), while the double cash will give you 2% cash back ($160).

I don't know if there's any way to estimate or recommend based on desired credit limit though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I don't know if this is smart but you can open a few cards, and split the $6k and get a bunch of sign up bonuses. You can probably get $500 in signup if you play it right. I've done that before for large purchases.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

black.lion posted:

AMEX Everyday has 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers and gave me my highest opening credit limit (If you have another AMEX card already you can also transfer additional credit limits to it).

EDIT: Obviously make sure that your mechanic accepts AMEX first (or use an existing non-AMEX card(s) and transfer within 60 days of opening the AMEX. No transfer fee for first 60 days). Be more careful with the transfer method, though. I think you're only allowed to transfer something like 70% of your limit and language suggests they can deny a transfer although I've never had it happen.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 20, 2019

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

pseudorandom posted:

Based on the Nerdwallet 0% APR recommendations, and the pattern of cards recommended by others here and on reddit, the Chase Freedom or the Citi Double-Cash might be good. The former has 0% APR for 15 months, and the latter for 18 months. However, the CF will give you a $150 bonus plus 1% rewards ($210 total for 6k), while the double cash will give you 2% cash back ($160).

I don't know if there's any way to estimate or recommend based on desired credit limit though.

Word, thanks m8 gonna look into these

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't know if this is smart but you can open a few cards, and split the $6k and get a bunch of sign up bonuses. You can probably get $500 in signup if you play it right. I've done that before for large purchases.

Yea I mean if I don't get a limit over 6k on one card I'll just open a second, but would rather keep less cards longterm and I have no idea how laborious it is to close a credit card

Girbot posted:

AMEX Everyday has 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers and gave me my highest opening credit limit (If you have another AMEX card already you can also transfer additional credit limits to it).

EDIT: Obviously make sure that your mechanic accepts AMEX first (or use an existing non-AMEX card(s) and transfer within 60 days of opening the AMEX. No transfer fee for first 60 days). Be more careful with the transfer method, though. I think you're only allowed to transfer something like 70% of your limit and language suggests they can deny a transfer although I've never had it happen.

Word if he takes Amex I'm gonna look into this! I only have one credit card and it has a 2k limit and I try to leave it pretty untouched for serious emergency moments, so balance transfer isn't really a thing I need.

Thanks y'all!

e: Welp got instantly approved for the Amex but only 1k limit womp womp, requested a bump to 6k but expecting I'll get denied. So is there any pitfall I should be aware of if I need to, for instance, open 6 cards with a 1k limit each for this? Assuming I make the payments as needed (I will) - just seems like something that credit institutions would be like "wtf is this sketchball doing" but I admittedly don't understand credit cards as well as I should.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 20, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

black.lion posted:

Yea I mean if I don't get a limit over 6k on one card I'll just open a second, but would rather keep less cards longterm and I have no idea how laborious it is to close a credit card

Closing cards is easy but it's usually better to leave them open. Longer age of account and lower overall utilization improves your credit score. In some scoring models but not others, once you close the account it continues to age, but you would lose the benefit of lower overall utilization.

quote:

e: Welp got instantly approved for the Amex but only 1k limit womp womp, requested a bump to 6k but expecting I'll get denied.

If they approve that, when you max out the card (6k/6k) your credit score is gonna plummet just FYI. Historically, Amex would give you up to a 3x CLI without an extra hard pull, but if you requested it the same day as applying they might be able to use the same hard pull to decide this.

quote:

So is there any pitfall I should be aware of if I need to, for instance, open 6 cards with a 1k limit each for this? Assuming I make the payments as needed (I will) - just seems like something that credit institutions would be like "wtf is this sketchball doing" but I admittedly don't understand credit cards as well as I should.

In this scenario you would have maxed out 6 cards and most lenders are going to be thinking :sever:. Definitely try to set/split this up so you aren't maxing out any cards. Or, if there's no other way, try to minimize the amount of cards that are maxed.

Do you have any other credit cards at all? If so, who are they with, how long have you had them, and what are their balances/limits?

astral fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 20, 2019

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I have one credit card with my Credit Union but it's only got a 2k limit and I'm pretty attached to leaving it with a low balance in case I really really need it sometime. I think right now it has ~$500 balance on it?

I'm definitely able to comfortably pay off 6k in 12 months, it's just getting the credit in the first place that I'm not sure how to go about; I know maxing out my available credit is going to wreck my credit score temporarily, but like I said I'll easily be paying it off and I already have my mortgage sorted sooooo I don't think I'll need my score to be at it's peak anytime in the foreseeable future. Plus my fiance has great credit so if we do need a good credit score for something she can do it, until we get married ofc.

I certainly would prefer not to open 6 cards to do this, just not sure what the better option is. I'm open to all suggestions so if anyone has ideas that are departures from what I'm trying to do rn let me know!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

black.lion posted:

I have one credit card with my Credit Union but it's only got a 2k limit and I'm pretty attached to leaving it with a low balance in case I really really need it sometime. I think right now it has ~$500 balance on it?

I'm definitely able to comfortably pay off 6k in 12 months, it's just getting the credit in the first place that I'm not sure how to go about; I know maxing out my available credit is going to wreck my credit score temporarily, but like I said I'll easily be paying it off and I already have my mortgage sorted sooooo I don't think I'll need my score to be at it's peak anytime in the foreseeable future. Plus my fiance has great credit so if we do need a good credit score for something she can do it, until we get married ofc.

I certainly would prefer not to open 6 cards to do this, just not sure what the better option is. I'm open to all suggestions so if anyone has ideas that are departures from what I'm trying to do rn let me know!

How long have you had the card with the credit union? After sorting out any other new cards, I'd try and see if you could get them to do a soft-pull credit limit increase on that.

If you've had that card for a while, you ought to be safe applying for at least one more card; the Chase Freedom (or Chase Freedom Unlimited) you were looking at before is a good first card with Chase, and worth keeping long-term not just for credit score reasons but for getting 1% back on all purchases (or 5% on the rotating categories). Bonus: If you have a friend or family member with one of those Chase cards, they can refer you to it and they'll get $50-$100 worth of points for doing so. Both of those cards come with a signup bonus where you get the $150 back when you spend $500.

If you haven't had that credit union card for a while, I'd focus first on getting Amex and the CU to do a CLI before trying to get another card.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

black.lion posted:

As an interested car person, what is the 6k of repairs? Body work, mechanical? What year/kind of car?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

astral posted:

How long have you had the card with the credit union? After sorting out any other new cards, I'd try and see if you could get them to do a soft-pull credit limit increase on that.

If you've had that card for a while, you ought to be safe applying for at least one more card; the Chase Freedom (or Chase Freedom Unlimited) you were looking at before is a good first card with Chase, and worth keeping long-term not just for credit score reasons but for getting 1% back on all purchases (or 5% on the rotating categories). Bonus: If you have a friend or family member with one of those Chase cards, they can refer you to it and they'll get $50-$100 worth of points for doing so. Both of those cards come with a signup bonus where you get the $150 back when you spend $500.

If you haven't had that credit union card for a while, I'd focus first on getting Amex and the CU to do a CLI before trying to get another card.

Cool thanks a ton, I got the Amex approved as I said and asked for a CLI (woo learning new acronyms!), we'll see how that goes (if they say no to 6k should I try again for 3? Or does asking for a CLI ding my credit?)

Applied for the Chase Freedom and they're going to let me know when they decide if I'm worthy; applied for the Citi Double-Cash as well but got denied (I think my mortgage payment is too large compared to my annual income for them); also requested a CLI on my current Credit Union card (I have had it for awhile and have never been late with a payment even when I was maxing it out for financial emergency reasons so hopefully they'll bump me another 1k-2k); if I get approved for the Chase Freedom I'll try for a CLI on that and then when the dust settles we'll see how close I am to the 6k I need with all that combined. Really appreciate y'all holding my hand through this!

Something Offal posted:

As an interested car person, what is the 6k of repairs? Body work, mechanical? What year/kind of car?

I'm not great with cars but I'll explain as best I can: 2013 VW GTI (manual not that it matters) - it's had the engine light on for a few months and when I had it serviced last Fall was told there's oil.... going places it shouldn't! Into the cylinders? Something like that! And it would be 1300 to fix....well at that moment I'd just got engaged and bought a house and spent like $2k on veterinary bills so I did not have liquid funds to fix it right then, buuuuut the car ran pretty okay so I just kept commuting in it (I'm such an idiot); so this Monday I took it in thinking "I have some cash to throw at this" and was told that there were 11 "errors" or whatever on the computer. Multiple cylinders misfiring, something something the intake manifold, etc.

So he told me that this is going to be a multi-trip thing... right now he's taking the manifold out to clean and reseal and deal with whatever is getting oil all over and around and in my engine... while the manifold is off, he's replacing the water pump bc apparently it's close to the end of its expected life (95k miles) and taking the manifold off is part of doing that anyway... after that round of stuff ($1800) I'm supposed to drive it for a bit and see if the oil leakage in the back is from something that needs fixed, or if its just oil from the front-end issues going around the engine and getting on the rear.... stuff (you can see how knowledgeable about cars I am) or not (~1k if it needs fixt). Aside from that, my trunk latch needs to be fixed ($400ish) and apparently my timing belt will need to be replaced in the next few months ($1800) because it's getting to where those usually break on this car (apparently timing belts breaking is a problem in this year/model, and there was a lawsuit about it where if it had already broken VW repaid you for the cost to replace it.... but since my belt hadn't broken when the lawsuit came through I just have to be super sure to fix it before it breaks I guess)... I almost definitely will need new tires in the next 6 months since they're a couple years old at least (close to another 1k for a new set)... and who tf knows what else may pop up. There's a screw that I need replaced in my sun visor and at this point I'm expecting that to cost me three fingers. Throw in regular service/oil change, inspection, registration (another $600 altogether prob) and I'm sitting at a total expected cost over the next few months of $6,600 to get my car sorted, mostly (entirely) because I'm an idiot and haven't taken care of these issues when I should have.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 20, 2019

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Calling into AMEX for the CLI may have been a better idea than doing it through the website so that you could talk to a human and explain your intended use/need. But we'll see.

Timing Belt/Water Pump at 100K miles is pretty standard for a lot of cars. I bought my '03 TT at ~95K miles and just had it done right away, but $1800 for just the belt seems pretty steep. You doing this at a dealership or something? What city you in/near?

Timing Belt/Water Pump is a pretty standard deal that most mechanics can do it with their eyes closed, might consider posting in the VW/Audi Thread and getting a recommendation on a cheaper but still reputable mechanic in your area.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776

Girbot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 20, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

black.lion posted:

Cool thanks a ton, I got the Amex approved as I said and asked for a CLI (woo learning new acronyms!), we'll see how that goes (if they say no to 6k should I try again for 3? Or does asking for a CLI ding my credit?)

Yeah sorry about any excessive acronyms, it just gets painful to type out the words all the time.

Credit limit increases usually come in two flavors: with a soft pull (doesn't ding credit) and a hard pull (does ding credit, same type that shows up if you apply for a new card). By asking Amex for the CLI to 6k, that would usually require a hard pull since it was a requested amount. However, if you did it on the same day they'll usually either reuse the hard-pulled credit report from your application or make another hard pull that gets combined by the credit bureaus into just one. Often, Amex is willing to give a 3x CLI with a soft pull, but I can't remember offhand if that's available right away or if you have to wait 3 or 6 months to request.

If they aren't willing to give you a full 6k, they should present you with a counter-offer so you won't need to go through the process a second time to ask for a lower amount.

quote:

Applied for the Chase Freedom and they're going to let me know when they decide if I'm worthy; applied for the Citi Double-Cash as well but got denied (I think my mortgage payment is too large compared to my annual income for them); also requested a CLI on my current Credit Union card (I have had it for awhile and have never been late with a payment even when I was maxing it out for financial emergency reasons so hopefully they'll bump me another 1k-2k); if I get approved for the Chase Freedom I'll try for a CLI on that and then when the dust settles we'll see how close I am to the 6k I need with all that combined. Really appreciate y'all holding my hand through this!

Yeah the Citi Double Cash wants a higher overall credit score. You could try to call their reconsideration to find out why you were denied and possibly make a case for overturning it, but I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

With the Chase card, if you're going to ask for a credit limit increase and if you applied today, I'd recommend first calling their reconsideration line today if possible. Just ask them if they need any further information from you to determine whether they will approve you for the card. If you're approved while you're talking to them, they'll let you know what the credit limit would be and that would be a good chance to ask if they could raise it a little bit (and then you could explain you have a $6k car repair coming up you would like to put on their card; it's always good to have a reason for these things).

If it comes back denied, you can potentially find out why and make a case to overturn it. Your application stays alive 30 days or so after applying, and during that period you can call reconsideration one or more times, especially if there's some change to whatever thing they may deny you for.

As a side note, Chase's credit limit increases are always a hard pull if requested by the customer. When I was still eligible to get chase cards (they don't approve anyone who's opened more than 5 cards in the last 24 months) I'd always just open a new card instead of trying to bother with a CLI.

For application status checking and the reconsideration phone numbers, there are some good lists posted at the Doctor of Credit blog:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/check-credit-card-application-status-issuer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/credit-card-reconsideration-line-telephone-numbers/

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Girbot posted:

Calling into AMEX for the CLI may have been a better idea than doing it through the website so that you could talk to a human and explain your intended use/need. But we'll see.

Timing Belt/Water Pump at 100K miles is pretty standard for a lot of cars. I bought my '03 TT at ~95K miles and just had it done right away, but $1800 for just the belt seems pretty steep. You doing this at a dealership or something? What city you in/near?

Timing Belt/Water Pump is a pretty standard deal that most mechanics can do it with their eyes closed, might consider posting in the VW/Audi Thread and getting a recommendation on a cheaper but still reputable mechanic in your area.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776

Nah I'm using a local mechanic that my parents have used forever, as well as my employer and friends etc, he has an extremely good reputation locally for not overcharging for stuff, for being open about whether a repair is necessary or optional, basically for being a good-guy mechanic. No idea why the belt cost is so much (he said 1600-1800 unless I misheard, hopefully I misheard!) but I've had people tell me stories about dealership telling them they needed 2k of repairs and they went to this guy and he was like "nah" and did a $150 repair and they were good. Long story short I trust him, he has more clients than he can deal with and its all through referrals.

e: I'ma post in that thread anyway tho because why not have more info/opinions right?!

astral posted:

Yeah sorry about any excessive acronyms, it just gets painful to type out the words all the time.

Credit limit increases usually come in two flavors: with a soft pull (doesn't ding credit) and a hard pull (does ding credit, same type that shows up if you apply for a new card). By asking Amex for the CLI to 6k, that would usually require a hard pull since it was a requested amount. However, if you did it on the same day they'll usually either reuse the hard-pulled credit report from your application or make another hard pull that gets combined by the credit bureaus into just one. Often, Amex is willing to give a 3x CLI with a soft pull, but I can't remember offhand if that's available right away or if you have to wait 3 or 6 months to request.

If they aren't willing to give you a full 6k, they should present you with a counter-offer so you won't need to go through the process a second time to ask for a lower amount.

Yeah the Citi Double Cash wants a higher overall credit score. You could try to call their reconsideration to find out why you were denied and possibly make a case for overturning it, but I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope. Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

With the Chase card, if you're going to ask for a credit limit increase and if you applied today, I'd recommend first calling their reconsideration line today if possible. Just ask them if they need any further information from you to determine whether they will approve you for the card. If you're approved while you're talking to them, they'll let you know what the credit limit would be and that would be a good chance to ask if they could raise it a little bit (and then you could explain you have a $6k car repair coming up you would like to put on their card; it's always good to have a reason for these things).

If it comes back denied, you can potentially find out why and make a case to overturn it. Your application stays alive 30 days or so after applying, and during that period you can call reconsideration one or more times, especially if there's some change to whatever thing they may deny you for.

As a side note, Chase's credit limit increases are always a hard pull if requested by the customer. When I was still eligible to get chase cards (they don't approve anyone who's opened more than 5 cards in the last 24 months) I'd always just open a new card instead of trying to bother with a CLI.

For application status checking and the reconsideration phone numbers, there are some good lists posted at the Doctor of Credit blog:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/check-credit-card-application-status-issuer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/credit-card-reconsideration-line-telephone-numbers/

Yea man I'm super into learning new acronyms no worries!

Thanks a ton for all this info, great to know they'll counter-offer me if they don't like my 6k request so I can at least know where I stand on that one. I'll def call the Chase people today if I can, didn't know credit cards were one of those things where subjective opinion of a random person has anything to do with result; happy to explain to them that I don't want 6k on their card to buy pokemon cards if that helps my chances of getting what I need. Do credit card companies pick up the phone after 5 EST? Guess there's only one way to find out!

It didn't occur to me that I can open multiple cards from one company... so in theory I could open multiple Amex cards and (with each successive repair) just transfer my Credit Union card balance to those cards as needed to keep my Credit Union card balance under control (pretty sure my mechanic doesn't take Amex).... and honestly it's not like I NEED the entire 6k in credit I could prob come up with enough cash to pay for half of this especially since the repairs are going to be strung out across months, it just will make my disposable income situation really sad and annoying basically until the Fall :sigh:

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 20, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

black.lion posted:

Thanks a ton for all this info, great to know they'll counter-offer me if they don't like my 6k request so I can at least know where I stand on that one. I'll def call the Chase people today if I can, didn't know credit cards were one of those things where subjective opinion of a random person has anything to do with result; happy to explain to them that I don't want 6k on their card to buy pokemon cards if that helps my chances of getting what I need. Do credit card companies pick up the phone after 5 EST? Guess there's only one way to find out!

That Doctor of Credit post should have the hours if they're known.

Good luck!

quote:

It didn't occur to me that I can open multiple cards from one company... so in theory I could open multiple Amex cards and (with each successive repair) just transfer my Credit Union card balance to those cards as needed to keep my Credit Union card balance under control (pretty sure my mechanic doesn't take Amex).... and honestly it's not like I NEED the entire 6k in credit I could prob come up with enough cash to pay for half of this especially since the repairs are going to be strung out across months, it just will make my disposable income situation really sad and annoying basically until the Fall :sigh:

If an issuer is barely approving you for 1k, I wouldn't try to get another card with them for a few months to a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Word, I'll cool my jets until I hear back from the stuff I applied for today (called Chase but looks like my application is too new to be looked at, the automated thingy hung up on me lol)

Thanks again for all your help w this!