Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If it's BMW, then would Andretti switch to BMW since they're already running BMW's Formula E team? And does that mean Rossi leaves Andretti to a Honda team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

If it's BMW, then would Andretti switch to BMW since they're already running BMW's Formula E team? And does that mean Rossi leaves Andretti to a Honda team?

Rahal too would be a candidate as they have run the factory BMWs in IMSA forever. There are also rumblings BMW is looking at a DPi in IMSA possibly with Rahal too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So i have scoured the depths of a truly ponderous tome, Rick Popely's Indianapolis 500 Chronicle from 1998 which is my favorite reference for the race, looking for a BMW brand.

It's obviously hard to track down some of the older brands to figure out if maybe one landed in BMW's portfolio, such as Leon Duay's Locomobile powered Fengler in 1926, the Hupmobile powered Snowberger of '32, or the Cragger powered Whippet of '36. also theres a dude named Spider Webb that made a bunch of starts, hell yes.

And the results: BMW HAS A HISTORY AT THE SPEEDWAY!... uh... like... kind of. Maybe. Not really.

In 1961, World Driving Champ Jack Brabham entered the 500 with a revolutionary rear engined Cooper-Climax. The car actually ran well, and in coming years, the rear engine revolution would eventually dominate the field. Eventually.

The Cooper Car Company was the official producer of the Cooper T53 based entry. On the road car side, the Mini Cooper was a Mini (made by BMC), taken to the next level in collaboration with Cooper Cars. They became so successful and recognizable that the Cooper name stuck, even though Cooper Cars itself went tits up in the late 60s. BMW, of course, bought the name and rebooted Mini in the 2000's, and still sells cars with the Cooper name today.

SO, if you buy the logic that the Cooper name and legacy is whats important here, BMW (as a multinational mega corp), has 1 career start that I can find.

e:(I should note that there are lots of starts from cars in the 20's with Cooper chassis, but from what i can tell, that was a separate american company not affiliated with John Cooper. But I might be wrong! Its hard to tell)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 15, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMW has been at the Speedway before with F1 and IMSA.

So...the road course has seen them at least.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

not the same also how dare u

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

now i gotta dig up and see if a BMW has ever run the 500 in any capacity. worth noting that Rahal runs BMW's factory sportscar program in the US, and Andretti runs their factory Formula E team.

also for reference:

It'd be interesting (to me, at least) to go through and match up the very heavily related engines / manufacturers - lump the IRL Oldsmobile in with the various iterations of Ilmor/Chevy.

Of course it just ends up with the Miller / Offy still having an insanely dominant run.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It'd be interesting (to me, at least) to go through and match up the very heavily related engines / manufacturers - lump the IRL Oldsmobile in with the various iterations of Ilmor/Chevy.

Of course it just ends up with the Miller / Offy still having an insanely dominant run.

But you could parse Early Offy against Offy With BoooOOOST!!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yes but the road course is an affront to god

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/CarlinRacing/status/1107643172107239424

:v:
https://twitter.com/IMS/status/1107642121752887297

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
nice

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Hehe.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nice

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
O’ward’s car looks pretty neat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Let's remember 25 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eglqd4U33E8

The season opener in 1994 was an eventful race, including all of the following:

• Reynard's first win in IndyCar in the company's first race at this level
  • Chip Ganassi Racing's first race win (!!!)
  • A first win back in the first race back for Michael Andretti after spending (most of) 1993 driving for McLaren in Formula 1

And don't forget that this leads up to 25 years on from The Beast this year too...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsPR/status/1108353097817096192

I just want everybody to have the same "Oh, good." feeling I did when I scrolled through Twitter and saw that coy, calculated mean mug looking back at me and the related Tweet.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just want everybody to have the same "Oh, good." feeling I did when I scrolled through Twitter and saw that coy, calculated mean mug looking back at me and the related Tweet.

I'm not very "hip" or "with it" but I think the kids use "thanks, I hate it" for this kind of thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I’m ok with it. Like her or not, having her and Dale Jr on the broadcast means it will have the two most recognizable racing related people in the country on board.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I prefer it to her being on the track

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is pretty much gonna be her whole thing going forward and it won't really have any bearing on anything unless you're the kind of person who sees her picture and calls it a "coy, calculated mean mug"

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I wasn't paying attention to racing when Danica was behind the wheel, got back into it just as she was leaving, and the only context I have for her is random interviews I've seen. She always seemed to be an egocentric person locked into defensive/annoyed mode, which makes it look like she has a really bad attitude.

An excellent replacement for Cheever and Goodyear, imo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It'll be fun if PT and her lock horns during broadcast. :D

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ugh

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yes but will NBC bring back WAG Cam?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/neckthai/status/1108707368219611139

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

and he'd probably also be in love with Bolsonaro too

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1108798916336775168

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

COTA practice 1 is on.

Herta P1 by a second... and then the engine explodes.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
not looking good for honda this year

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
This is why the AMR Safety Team is the best

https://i.imgur.com/xhc01rS.gifv

Better version
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1109482310292987904

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Andretti to the top in P3.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Qual broadcast is up.

People chattin in Discord as per usual

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
"And now we have the pole master, Will Power."

Yeah I dont care if I'm a child that was funny as hell

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

not looking good for honda this year

At least they are on pace.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Power owns.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iwentdoodie posted:

"And now we have the pole master, Will Power."

Yeah I dont care if I'm a child that was funny as hell

Post/avatar combo also on pole.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Friendly reminder that leet hackers can watch every race here, just set your VPN to Mexico first

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man I wish my VPN had a Mexico endpoint (I get NBCSN anyway, but being a hackerman is fun)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I remember an interview being done of some of some safety crew dude a few years ago, and they said they always had to be ready, even if they were in the john. He specifically mentioned that even if you were mid-dump, you didn't have time to wipe if the call comes in, just pinch it off and go deal with the emergency, someone's life may depend on it.

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm here at COTA :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've been walking around sector 1 and loving it. Super trucks own. Also got to meet penske and all his drivers