Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BattleMaster posted:

Oh wow they're going to finally be doing print on demand products. I thought they were too stodgy to do anything that wasn't a proper print run or PDF-only.

Does this mean that I can get a proper RS: 3075/3085 that actually has all the 'Mechs rather than the wafer-thin cliff's notes versions that have been available up until now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope they do stuff like that, plus new or reprints of old maps (which they have nice clean PDFs of anyway) as print on demand products.

I used to bug them about that a lot years ago on the official forums but they said maps were too expensive to make for how little they would sell if they did a proper print run and didn't seem to know what print on demand was or acknowledge it when I mentioned it so I figured PoD for anything would never happen.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here's my poorly-painted Awesome from the new box set. Was going for a kinda beaten-up merc look.

Notwithstanding my shiity paint, this mini was such a joy to work with compared to previous BT stuff. Really looking forward to the next one.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Bunch of new stuff out or will be out this week including:

Four BattleMat sets (talk about timing, the one week I am completely utterly and totally broke, this goes through and probably will sell out before I can purchase, a bunch of new mapsets, the Kell Hounds fiction novella trilogy, lapel pins (seemingly already sold out?) and a new PDF Turning Point (Fronc Reaches). Along with the beginner box back in stock, seems like it's going well for Btech.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Oh wow they're going to finally be doing print on demand products. I thought they were too stodgy to do anything that wasn't a proper print run or PDF-only.

I came here to ask if anyone thinks there's a chance they'll reprint the second succession war historical, so this gives me some hope. Can't find it in stock on any of the online retailers and it's the one historical on their site that doesn't have a physical book order option. Maybe it was never printed? I swear I saw it for sale on retailers previously and just never pulled the trigger.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

New maps look good and it's about drat time they did paper maps. I was still a child when they last printed anything.

Prefect Six posted:

I came here to ask if anyone thinks there's a chance they'll reprint the second succession war historical, so this gives me some hope. Can't find it in stock on any of the online retailers and it's the one historical on their site that doesn't have a physical book order option. Maybe it was never printed? I swear I saw it for sale on retailers previously and just never pulled the trigger.

I've seen it on shelves but I don't know how large the print runs are.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Prefect Six posted:

It was printed, but modern sourcebook print runs are small so you need to move fast on them. I wouldn't count on a reprint; I'm not aware of any non-rules BT sourcebook that's been reprinted in the CGL era.

Also, Alpha Strike Commander's Edition just went to press, so the rules for that game will be back at last in a (hopefully) improved form.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xotl posted:

It was printed, but modern sourcebook print runs are small so you need to move fast on them. I wouldn't count on a reprint; I'm not aware of any non-rules BT sourcebook that's been reprinted in the CGL era.

Also, Alpha Strike Commander's Edition just went to press, so the rules for that game will be back at last in a (hopefully) improved form.

Can confirm, it's improved. Basic rules are presented in much clearer layout, redundancy removed, aerospace got a full overhaul, some balance factors were addressed (mostly in the terrain section), some minor QOL changes (mostly to do with mismatched ground/alternate movement modes), and the whole force building and scenarios section is laid out much better.

I may be biased.

I'm definitely getting it day one (or zero if it's here for Origins).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Those card maps in the 25th box spoiled me. I don't think I can go back to paper.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Strobe posted:

Can confirm, it's improved. Basic rules are presented in much clearer layout, redundancy removed, aerospace got a full overhaul, some balance factors were addressed (mostly in the terrain section), some minor QOL changes (mostly to do with mismatched ground/alternate movement modes), and the whole force building and scenarios section is laid out much better.

I may be biased.

I'm definitely getting it day one (or zero if it's here for Origins).

Hell yeah! I can finally replace my copy, which I had printed and spiral-bound from the PDF back when I was in college.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's also very pretty. The BattleMech Manual's layout and visual design was excellent and this doesn't disappoint.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Those card maps in the 25th box spoiled me. I don't think I can go back to paper.

I feel like they’re missing firing arcs, sadly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Managed to get in a Total Warfare game earlier this week. I took a Battlemaster, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, and Griffin (all new box set minis) up against a Naginata, Spider, Jenner, and Avatar. We played on a couple of the new neoprene battlemats (which are gorgeous) by the way at 5K BV (he forgot to spend the BV on C3 and played unlinked).

It was a massacre.

I've never rolled so many double 1s in my life. No damage at all was exchanged for probably the entire first two rounds of shooting, and after that I was able to exploit the Naginata's lack of maneuverability to get on its side. The Shadow Hawk found an ammo bin with a solitary SRM and two turns later my opponent's big centerpiece was a smouldering husk missing most of its engine and all of its gyro, having suffered exactly 10 points of internal structure damage from hostile weapons fire. The Spider was missing an arm and most of the armor on its front facing, the Avatar had taken a smattering of five point hits, and the Jenner was on the wrong end of a kicking match with the Wolverine and was very close to losing a leg outright.

In return I took one point of internal structure damage to the Wolverine's right leg during physicals. Everything else internal was completely pristine, even though 3/4 of my 'Mechs were missing at least half of their back armor and had exposed torsos in their back facing. He just couldn't make anything actually connect where it needed to in order to force critical damage.

Fun game, would play again.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of upcoming products, I only just noticed that ilClan is no longer listed, and there's no mention of the sequel to Shattered Fortress there either, despite mention at Gen Con last year that we could expect part two in 2019. I hope this doesn't mean we'll be waiting another decade or so to wrap up the Dark Age.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Before they can release a book, they need to pay the people who wrote it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Any one who's surprised that House Arano's been delayed till 5/31, raise your hand.

(silence)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wouldn't be CGL if they weren't missing every opportunity given to them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm actually surprised that they missed a concrete date on the BT side. Usually they don't even give those.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

So apparently Solaris Skunk Werks has been dropped and is no longer getting updates. It doesn't seem to be playing nice with Java's newest updates, I think - I'm getting this error:

code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: common/DesignForm
Does anyone have any thoughts on fixing this?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Solaris Skunk Werks officially dropped a while ago? I thought everyone had moved on to MegaMekLab.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's sad because SSW has a better UI but MegaMekLab has much better sheet printing to the point that the official record sheets PDFs are generated with it. If someone took the two and mashed them together it would be perfect.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
SSW hasn't had an update in years. The last guy who worked on it was poached to work on the Master Unit List, and doesn't have the energy / inclination to support SSW on top of that, so he abandoned it.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Aw, boo. Does MegaMekLab open .ssw files as well? I've got a lot of work I'll lose in the transition otherwise.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It does.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LeschNyhan posted:

Aw, boo. Does MegaMekLab open .ssw files as well? I've got a lot of work I'll lose in the transition otherwise.

It opens .mtf, which you needed to use any customs in MegaMek anyway and that SSW can export to already.

EDIT: I am also incorrect about .ssw apparently.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is “roll to confirm headshot” a real rule or some house rule bullshit because I think I’ve lost all interest playing as of today

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Taintrunner posted:

Is “roll to confirm headshot” a real rule or some house rule bullshit because I think I’ve lost all interest playing as of today

Uh if you roll a 12 on hit location then that weapon hits the head. Might only be one pellet or missile/cluster of missiles/cluster of 5 damage in a larger salvo, but once you roll a 12 on hit location it hits the head. There’s no confirmation roll.

This is not to be confused for rolling to hit, or rolling for a critical hit after internal damage.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah my GM makes you roll to confirm headshots.

And he was running two tables today and interjected after the insufferable powergamer of our group tapped my head and I got a lucky ER PPC shot to the brain, like maybe the second or third time in over a year of playing against the guy, and the four of us accepted it and moved on, death token on the field and everything.

Which led to me getting peeled apart instantly and just totally took me out of the game. loving ugh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't quite follow.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't understand the sequence of events you're describing, but as stated if it's anything other than "roll once for location, 12 means head" then it's wrong or house rules

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Was it a called shot?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, let me try to explain better. End of round 2, we enter combat phase, powergamer goes first. In the midst of a flurry of hits, I take two points of damage to the head and it counts as a head hit. The four of us actively at the table didn't think to "roll to confirm headshot" and we move on to my half of the combat phase.

I open up with two ER PPCs and immediately blow his head clean off - internal and everything. The four of us at the table all accept it and move on - I even do my piloting skill roll, which fails, I calculate the fall damage and we move on - the GM who is at the other table's game turns around and decides I have to suddenly go back and roll a headshot confirmation, which obviously fails, and then I immediately know I'm hosed and have no chance against the powergamer, because he's been playing this game way longer and I have never won a head to head fight against this guy.

Which is what happens and I just couldn't give a poo poo anymore at this point. Honestly I'm just wondering if it's worth even going anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still don't really get what is happening. How do you confirm a headshot? Why are you gaming with an rear end in a top hat who can interfere in your game from a table away?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still don't really get what is happening. How do you confirm a headshot? Why are you gaming with an rear end in a top hat who can interfere in your game from a table away?

Oh, sorry. If you roll the head as a hit location you have to roll again with a 1d6 and it's only a headshot if you get a 5 or a 6. And it's the only battletech group in town, I think.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"No gaming is better than bad gaming" has never steered me wrong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's some hosed up house rule because the GM doesn't like being headcapped.

EDIT: what the gently caress are you supposed to do, reroll the hit location? :psyduck:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Battletech is too long, random, and rules-heavy to be worth playing if you’re not having fun. (I mean, nothing is, but at least a game of Magic is over fast).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strobe posted:

EDIT: what the gently caress are you supposed to do, reroll the hit location? :psyduck:

Yeah. Like if you don't get a 5 or 6 it goes to a part of the torso.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why do you need a GM to play BattleTech anyway? Kick that loser to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can see a club appointing someone with extensive knowledge of the rules being appointed as the adjudicator in the case of disputes between players or clarifying how something is supposed to work. I don't think I'd appreciate some rear end in a top hat sticking his head into my game and half-assedly applying a home rule when it was least convenient for me.