Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Swirly eyes, duh

He's blind, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The swirly eyes smell like lollipops.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shugojin posted:

GOD that was so loving good and it's a free DLC

Yes, it was.

Poil posted:

How the heck does he expect the worm to know who is a thrall or not?

TIME IS SIGHT. GRAVITY IS DESIRE.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Worm loves us. It will always love us, and thus it always has. It winds around the hot heart of our home star. It winds around every infinitesimal loop of genetic information. It provokes a shuddering series of cataclysms in the planetary crust of our home, but when our star grows cold, that cataclysm will warm us. We understand so much more. We will always be what we were going to be, wound tight in the love of the Worm.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Shugojin posted:

What's this?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

rocketrobot posted:

What's this?

Stellaris. Super creepy faustain pact your civilization can make with a Lovecraftian monster.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

rocketrobot posted:

What's this?

A bulge in reality caused by an excited worm.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Those are both excellent explanations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Neither would be as good without the other.

I haven't gotten into a 4X since GalCiv2 (which I still crack open now and then) and GalCiv3 was a loving trash fire. Pretty sure I own Stellaris, but I've never actually played it yet. As someone very stuck in her ways when it comes to learning new complicated games, how is it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's pretty good, though there is a learning curve. It's like a scifi trope kitchen sink with tonnes of references too and a lot of good mods.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PMush Perfect posted:

Neither would be as good without the other.

I haven't gotten into a 4X since GalCiv2 (which I still crack open now and then) and GalCiv3 was a loving trash fire. Pretty sure I own Stellaris, but I've never actually played it yet. As someone very stuck in her ways when it comes to learning new complicated games, how is it?

It was the game I played the most in 2018, and also so far in 2019.

The constant stream of updates and new DLCs means that every time I get bored, there's a reason to come back 3 months later.

If you go in with the mindset that the core gameplay loop is, at it's heart, very simple, then you'll be fine.

Core gameplay loop: See number > Can I make number bigger? > Do that

Start with the basic resources, always try to make them bigger. Need more minerals? Build more mining districts. Out of mining districts? Colonize another planet. Preferably you did this before you ran out of mining districts, but that's the only real learning curve.

Secondary resources that make things from your primary resources, same thing. I need more alloys, but do I have enough minerals? I should, if I'm always growing my economy as outlined above. That means I can build more alloy forges.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I played a game of Stellaris with a friend, before whatever the secondary alloy resources stuff you guys are talking about was. (I played, the friend gave me advice from time to time)

I had no loving idea what I was doing, so I figured I should probably stay out of trouble, and picked pacifist, xenophile, and egalitarian for my ethics, and found a friendly, adorable gecko portrait for my race, there was even an appropriate reptilian naming theme for them. Then I figured I might as well go all in on the cute, and named them the Adorky, and the empire "League of Cutesia". (I stick to English-ish names in games that aren't localized my language, or translated poorly) My friend laughed and said I was going to die horribly to the first empire I encounter. :v:

Here's a (cropped) screenshot I still have saved from that game:

Not sure what the "moral democracy" thing was. I guess I had it because I didn't genocide anyone or something like that?

Anyway, the start was fairly normal 4x stuff. I explored a bit, built space stations and colonized some planets. Turns out I had a lot of space all for myself, and my first neighbors were rather far away, but a fairly friendly sort. Some spiritualist monkeys who said my guys give them good vibes or something like that. There were a few others in that direction, but nothing special or looking like trouble. Following the galaxy arm in the other direction, though, yiiiiikes. There was this black hole which didn't look like a chokepoint at first, but would become a rather important one later. It had 4 connection, one towards me, one towards a small, isolated cluster of stars, and two that went on their own for a while before meeting back up a long way behind. One of them was fairly large, the other fairly linear and about half the size. I figured I'll explore the isolated bit later, and sent my science ships down the 2 other paths.

In the largest cluster, I encountered some floating tentacle things that were a hive mind that wanted to eat me. So, OK, I figured, that's probably going to be my first enemy. Then, in that same cluster, I found some exterminator robots that looked like giant mechanical catterpillars, and figured, OK, you two can play with each other, I am NOT sending my ships anywhere near there. In the other cluster, I found some foxes whose initial greeting seemed nice at first, but then they said they were going to nuke me. And then I realized the leader had a bunch of skulls in its room. Apparently, they had a democratic government dedicated to finding the optimal way to exterminate everyone in the galaxy.

OK, gently caress it, you can have that entire section of the galaxy all to yourselves. The science ship in the fox section was blocked off by their empire, and I sent it back to explore the small cluster. The ship in the large cluster navigated inbetween the monster mash to see what's on the other side. Turns out, the point where the star clusters met up was ruled by a xenophobic fallen empire. The best way to decribe these guys would be angry old birds with a death star who wanted all those damned kids to get the gently caress off their lawn. In effect, they were a giant plug preventing the 3 genocidals from expanding that way, and instead driving them to expand towards me. Bad, but at least there was nobody else at risk of being massacred by them, and they were likely going to severely weaken each other with constant fights and mutual extermination, while I slowly build up and buddy up with my friendlier neighbors.

Then my science ship in the small cluster found a planet with modern age pacifist humanoids. Who had no space technology, and no way to defend themselves, especially not against what was coming their way.

Oh no.

I ended up spending almost all my resources rapidly snaking my way towards that chokepoint to block them off, my builder beating the foxes there by a ridiculously narrow margin (their builder was in the system when I started my station to claim it). Not long after that, the foxes declared war on me, but I was able to just barely hold them off with a combination of the black hole's effects, my battlestation, and my fleet. Then the hive mind declared war on me, and I actually lost the system, but then the robots attacked them, and I managed to take it back in a desperate counterattack. Their war ended with the robots taking a bite out of the hive mind's space, and ending up bordering me. A few years later, they too attacked me, but I was more prepared, and fought them off, and then the hive mind attacked them and took the bordering system back. The next century was a mix of rabid fox attacks and a tug of war between the hive and the exterminators, with the winners taking the bordering system, attacking me, losing their fleet, and then being counterattacked by the other - rinse and repeat.

On the bright side, I managed to help the humanoids enter space age, and they were quite fond of my guys. They even sent their hilariously tiny and obsolete fleet to help me defend my black hole station against the space assholes. :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm just going to point out that Stellaris is in a humble bundle right now for $9. I played my first game of it over the weekend and I like a lot of it, but found it to be on the slow side even by the standards of 4X.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

I haven't gotten into a 4X since GalCiv2 (which I still crack open now and then) and GalCiv3 was a loving trash fire.

What was so bad about 3? As background, I loved 1 and played a trillion games of it, and got 2 but couldn't get into it much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Then my science ship in the small cluster found a planet with modern age pacifist humanoids. Who had no space technology, and no way to defend themselves, especially not against what was coming their way.

Oh no.

I ended up spending almost all my resources rapidly snaking my way towards that chokepoint to block them off
Oh my God, that is adorable. :kimchi:

Gynovore posted:

What was so bad about 3? As background, I loved 1 and played a trillion games of it, and got 2 but couldn't get into it much.
The whole conceit of GC2 was that because it was single-player only, they instead poured those resources into making the AIs smarter and giving you many ways to interact with them. GC3 cut or at least cut corners on most of it. Trade, diplomacy, negotiation, politicking, all of it's either hyper-simplified or just not there at all. The AI is dumber, to boot, and the graphics aren't even that much better.

It felt like the game was gutted so main mechanics could be made into DLC, but then even that didn't happen.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

Here's a (cropped) screenshot I still have saved from that game:

Not sure what the "moral democracy" thing was. I guess I had it because I didn't genocide anyone or something like that?

Your government type, in this case Moral Democracy, is based off your governing ethics. Pacifist + xenophile + egalitarian = moral democracy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my God, that is adorable. :kimchi:

The whole conceit of GC2 was that because it was single-player only, they instead poured those resources into making the AIs smarter and giving you many ways to interact with them. GC3 cut or at least cut corners on most of it. Trade, diplomacy, negotiation, politicking, all of it's either hyper-simplified or just not there at all. The AI is dumber, to boot, and the graphics aren't even that much better.

It felt like the game was gutted so main mechanics could be made into DLC, but then even that didn't happen.

I just really hate the stardock tone, it's like a snarky nerd snuffling in your ear. Plus the owner is kind of a dickbag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If Stellaris is good, there's no reason to go back unless you really like turn based (I do) or you're curious. I'm not saying it's above criticism, just that I'm stuck in my ways and the only thing I've tried since was worse.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

my dad posted:

Oh no.

This is why Stellaris owns.

Also, the game is actually coded so that the "cute" aliens are the biggest assholes. When generating a random empire, if a cute alien portrait is chosen by the randomizer, the government randomizer is weighted towards the "genocidal rear end in a top hat" end of the scale.

The foxes even have specific insults coded in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shugojin posted:

Gonna say this is the last place I expected a Stellaris reference.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Facebook Aunt posted:

Your government type, in this case Moral Democracy, is based off your governing ethics. Pacifist + xenophile + egalitarian = moral democracy.

More specifically, it's for being a pacifist democracy. It's mostly for flavor reasons, (your ruler is the Prime Minister, whereas other democracies could be ruled by a President, First Speaker or Revered Elder), but it also affects the personality of AI empires and which leaders can run for office; pacifist governments cannot be run by a general or admiral.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Y'all are getting way the hell off topic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Y'all are getting way the hell off topic.
What 4X do you think a blind snake noticing a strip that mostly exists for pacing would prefer?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PMush Perfect posted:

What 4X do you think a blind snake noticing a strip that mostly exists for pacing would prefer?

Sim Ant

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Master of Magic, the most D&D-esque 4X.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Most people don't realize that the game Snake is a 4x.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

reignofevil posted:

Most people don't realize that the game Snake is a 4x.
Only 2 player Snake.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder what a rpg webcomic where the characters are playing a space 4X would look like.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder what a rpg webcomic where the characters are playing a space 4X would look like.

Erfworld but in space

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't give Rob ideas.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've seen webcomics cover Civilization, but never a space game like that.

I feel like games where you explore the galaxy really need to have some heavy flavor to them to work and be interesting, like Alpha Centauri or Star Control 2. The bulk of the technologies and principles involved are already going to be mostly fictional, so you better make it interesting fiction. I've seen a few things lately try to just have a thin layer of flavor just to get into a sci-fi setting without being "too silly" and it kind of falls flat.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The Metal Gear/Civ5 crossover fanfiction/LP was great but a good chunk of that was the boss fight fan fiction for leaders of other civs.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well there's Outsider, but the protagonist isn't really at the stage where he's playing the game yet. At the pace it's going and with the update rhythm of the author, it should happen at some point during the 24th century. (The author openly admits he was inspired by Master of Orion and Star Control, and also works on his own Space 4X game, so I think it counts.)

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

xanthan posted:

The Metal Gear/Civ5 crossover fanfiction/LP was great but a good chunk of that was the boss fight fan fiction for leaders of other civs.

I’m sorry, the what?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m sorry, the what?

Civilization V - Peace Walker

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

It's loving incredible how well Speedball mashed MGS into Civ.

The mod is great too but Speedball made that LP incredible.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Thanks, sounded too oddball to not check out

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't give Rob ideas.

At this point someone has to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

Well there's Outsider, but the protagonist isn't really at the stage where he's playing the game yet. At the pace it's going and with the update rhythm of the author, it should happen at some point during the 24th century. (The author openly admits he was inspired by Master of Orion and Star Control, and also works on his own Space 4X game, so I think it counts.)

Nice, I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
All it took was one strip for the Worm to become my favorite new minor character. Sorry, nihilistic wolf.

It's gonna be a shame when the worm is beaten.

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's loving incredible how well Speedball mashed MGS into Civ.

The mod is great too but Speedball made that LP incredible.

Yeah, that was a good read, I'll add my vote for it. (Speedball appreciates the kind words, by the way.)