Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Was it Star Fleet Battles (based on the TOS-era license as it existed in like 1975 or whatever) the one that had an entire line of Federation heavy cruisers named after dictators/war criminals/extremely questionable real-life 20th century people, completely unironically? USS Pol Pot, USS Muammar Gaddafi, USS Saddam Hussein, USS Oliver North... USS Donald J. Trump... etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's interesting to watch TOS season 1 where they're still kind of working out how the universe works and they have like four different names for the Federation and they're not even clear on whether it's a sovereign state or some kind of space UN and there's an implication that Vulcan was conquered by Earth, etc

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TOS is not canon

The only canon episode of Star Trek is Carbon Creek

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

HD DAD posted:

TOS is not canon

The only canon episode of Star Trek is Carbon Creek Threshold

ftfy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Was it Star Fleet Battles (based on the TOS-era license as it existed in like 1975 or whatever) the one that had an entire line of Federation heavy cruisers named after dictators/war criminals/extremely questionable real-life 20th century people, completely unironically? USS Pol Pot, USS Muammar Gaddafi, USS Saddam Hussein, USS Oliver North... USS Donald J. Trump... etc.

Not sure about those specific names but I did find a USS Robert Mugabe in a Starfleet Battles name registry PDF. Let's see what else I can find... USS Tony Blair? This list is apparently from 2012 so that makes sense but...oh...oh no...

Ohhhhhh no no no no no

Guess we know the timeline divergence point (EDIT: Also they seriously have a ship named after Bashar Al-Assad?)

Here's a link to the PDF. There's bound to be more war criminals and other ne'er do-wells in there considering I saw Khmer Rouge names in there too.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Angry_Ed posted:

Not sure about those specific names but I did find a USS Robert Mugabe in a Starfleet Battles name registry PDF. Let's see what else I can find... USS Tony Blair? This list is apparently from 2012 so that makes sense but...oh...oh no...

Ohhhhhh no no no no no

Guess we know the timeline divergence point (EDIT: Also they seriously have a ship named after Bashar Al-Assad?)

Here's a link to the PDF. There's bound to be more war criminals and other ne'er do-wells in there considering I saw Khmer Rouge names in there too.

I like "Presidents Bush" like "eh just name one ship after both of them"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can’t name a ship “Presidents Bush”, wtf. Is it two ships? I’m gonna name my ship “USS The Entire Spanish and Austrian Habsburg Dynasties”

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is there a USS Brexit

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

You can’t name a ship “Presidents Bush”, wtf. Is it two ships? I’m gonna name my ship “USS The Entire Spanish and Austrian Habsburg Dynasties”

They literally named one ship after Dan Rather and Connie Chung simultaneously as well.

EDIT: Obviously it's a ship with either a saucer separation mode or a Multi-Vector Assault Mode :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pakled posted:

there's an implication that Vulcan was conquered by Earth, etc

To this day I never understood why people took that line by McCoy seriously. He's ribbing Spock about Earth being seat of the Federation when Vulcans were the more advanced race.

It's like saying it's canon that Spock is a hobgoblin.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skasion posted:

I'm Captain of the USS All the Popes Except the Avignon Papacy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bull3964 posted:

To this day I never understood why people took that line by McCoy seriously. He's ribbing Spock about Earth being seat of the Federation when Vulcans were the more advanced race.

I think it's more likely that a season 1 Star Trek writer thought "okay why is this pointy eared alien guy serving on a human ship? Ah, we must be their colonial overlords, look how benevolent we are letting them be officers" because they hadn't worked out how the Federation worked yet and this was a perfectly reasonable thought in 1966.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

USS Concept of the Divine Right of Kings over here

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I mean...McCoy IS kidding, he doesn’t seriously believe that Earth’s supremacy over Vulcan is the result of Vulcans’ aversion to alcohol, but the joke doesn’t really work if you assume that Earth isn’t supreme over Vulcan, which the rest of the franchise even within TOS does kind of contradict. McCoy doesn’t just imply conquest, he says “Now I know why they were conquered”. You can stretch that to mean “they weren’t conquered and McCoy is just sarcastically exaggerating the human-Vulcan relationship” or “they were conquered, but by someone else”, but these are just that—stretches to maintain continuity with material that didn’t exist when the scene was written.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Angry_Ed posted:

Ohhhhhh no no no no no

Was this list generated by Microsoft's Tay bot or something?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

And Surek is the Green Goblin

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

skasion posted:

My OC ship is the USS Entire Cast Of NBC's Superstore do not steal

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The USS Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra

EDIT: USS Crosby, Stils, Nash & Young

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
USS All Sapient Species That Have Ever Existed (Except the Tellarites, They Know What They Did)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ships of the Federation Judge Advoctate General's office:

USS United States v. Forty-three Gallons of Whiskey

USS United States v. Forty Barrels and Twenty Kegs of Coca-Cola

USS The California Coalition of Undressed Performers v. Spearmint Rhino

USS United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

USS One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. Pennsylvania

USS United States v. 12 200-Foot Reels of Super 8MM Film

USS Nebraska v. One 1970 2-Door Sedan Rambler (Gremlin)

USS Juicy Whip v. Orange Bang

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

EDIT: Obviously it's a ship with either a saucer separation mode or a Multi-Vector Assault Mode :v:

Hahaha

But which bit is the W

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

skasion posted:

I mean...McCoy IS kidding, he doesn’t seriously believe that Earth’s supremacy over Vulcan is the result of Vulcans’ aversion to alcohol, but the joke doesn’t really work if you assume that Earth isn’t supreme over Vulcan

Yeah, it does. Alcohol is the lubricant of negotiation and Vulcan never managed to get a bunch of races together to lead a federation while Earth did and Vulcan joined.

You can say it's a stretch, but the intent of whoever wrote the line is probably resting in a grave somewhere and even contemporary lines in the same series have never even hinted that Earth conquered worlds.

Call it a retcon, but the line isn't out of place at all with what we know of McCoy and the federation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bull3964 posted:

Then why is his blood green? Hobgoblin makes blood red!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

USS Plessy v. Ferguson

USS Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
USS Academy Award Winning Motion Picture Suicide Squad (2016)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let me say something

If you have children

And you love Star Trek

Seek out and watch Octonauts. It's basically the fourth best trek. It's pretty much a trek series in every conceivable way except it is underwater instead of in space and it is a bunch of animals exploring the ocean. But it is much more like Trek than SeaQuest. Your kids will love it and you will be pleased surprised.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

USS Paul Blart

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Let me say something

If you have children

And you love Star Trek

Seek out and watch Octonauts. It's basically the fourth best trek. It's pretty much a trek series in every conceivable way except it is underwater instead of in space and it is a bunch of animals exploring the ocean. But it is much more like Trek than SeaQuest. Your kids will love it and you will be pleased surprised.

Yeah my nephew was obsessed with it and by brother was very excited that the show was actually....good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's the intended age group?

USS Fetty Wap

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

What's the intended age group?

3-5

also 30-50

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Even worse than pre-Empire Strikes Back Star Wars fiction (in which no one knew any real setting details, especially surrounding the Force, so the books/comics went a little bugfuck).

And the slightly-later Glove Of Darth Vader series was amazing tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tunicate posted:

And the slightly-later Glove Of Darth Vader series was amazing tho

“I bid you dark greetings!” was the absolute peak of the old EU. Also that one Moff’s blaster earrings.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

poo poo now I need to figure out what to name my Moffship

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Just as long as you aren’t late to the Mofference.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/TheGloveOfDarthVader

quote:

The bizarre reveal that after Jabba the Hutt died, the Tatooine government converted Jabba's palace to a retirement home.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Moff Diver

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Hardcore Moff

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unless there is a Star Wars/Marvel crossover*, it's definitely true that both franchises offer unique literature for the discriminating reader of fiction.

*who am I kidding, without looking I'm going to say of course there is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best one is the angsty Quark novel co authored by Shimerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The SFB guys are the sort of Tom Clancy-reading weirdo conservatives who will excuse anything America did, ever.

The Federation in their setting is literally just Space America staring down Space USSR and Space China. I was always a little surprised they didn't invent a Space Middle East.