Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I'd like it to launch the Cortana search bar, I find it useful for quick-launching applications by starting to type the name, rather than trying to find them in the start menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a registry editor out there to rebind keys, but heck if I can remember what it's called. So you can make the windows key function like alt or control, but I don't know about giving it new functionality.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you can remap it to one of the media keys there's probably some way to change it to do whatever you want.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MZ posted:

I'd like it to launch the Cortana search bar, I find it useful for quick-launching applications by starting to type the name, rather than trying to find them in the start menu.

You can simply type in the start menu, the Cortana bar is entirely superfluous. No need to rebind anything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MZ posted:

Crotch Fruit's suggestion of autohotkey is probably the simplest method then. Grab autohotkey, make script with the following:
code:
$LWin::	Send #s
$RWin::	Send #s
And dump that script in your startup folder.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

You can simply type in the start menu, the Cortana bar is entirely superfluous.

Ooh, I didn't know that, that's really useful, thanks!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Minidust posted:

I've got a desktop that I'm using as a headless media server. It tends to stop seeing wifi networks, but it's the rare case where running the windows troubleshooter will fix the problem every time:

What I'd like to do is create a shortcut for that "Windows Network Diagnostics" so I can just use a hotkey and run it from the taskbar when necessary. Alternatively I suppose I could use a shortcut to whatever command resets the network adapters, as that appears to be the final step in that diagnostic wizard that actually fixes everything.

Normally I'm just using TeamViewer to do stuff on the server, so that obviously stops working when the server loses wifi. But I've got a physical keyboard hooked up, so the hotkey solution would work. I've seen some other shortcut commands online, but they lead to different parts of the control panel that require further user input. I need something that will just run the command I need without having to look at a monitor. And yeah I know this is a very clumsy setup but I'm gonna have a wired connection eventually!

If you just need to turn the adapter off and then on again, you could create a scheduled task to do that nightly or however often you need.

If you want a shortcut to the network troubleshooter, create a shortcut to c:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking\diagpackage.diagpkg

If the troubleshooter is doing something necessary beyond restarting the adapter, you could create an answer file and use PowerShell's Invoke-TroubleshootingPack to launch the troubleshooter in unattended mode, either scheduled or as-needed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MZ posted:

Ooh, I didn't know that, that's really useful, thanks!

After a while you'll find yourself doing this rather than using the start menu as an actual menu. It's fast and good.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

After a while you'll find yourself doing this rather than using the start menu as an actual menu. It's fast and good.

Yeah just tried it yesterday, it's super-useful.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Toast Museum posted:

If you just need to turn the adapter off and then on again, you could create a scheduled task to do that nightly or however often you need.

If you want a shortcut to the network troubleshooter, create a shortcut to c:\Windows\diagnostics\system\networking\diagpackage.diagpkg

If the troubleshooter is doing something necessary beyond restarting the adapter, you could create an answer file and use PowerShell's Invoke-TroubleshootingPack to launch the troubleshooter in unattended mode, either scheduled or as-needed.
Okay so that shortcut doesn't seem to start the diagnostic automatically, but if I just hit Enter five times it runs through the whole thing. It managed to get my server back online this morning so that's good enough for me! Thanks man! This should hold me over good until I'm using a different/wired network adapter.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I've googled (many times) and checked the OP here to no avail.

Any suggestions for why my start menu on my xps 13 A) lags when i open it a bit and B) under no circumstances lets me use the search functionality?

ie, when i hit windows key on every other computer and start typing "Calc" it'll bring up calculator ,etc. there is no text input happening at all :shrug:

this is on a reasonably fresh windows install too which is funnky

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Minidust posted:

Okay so that shortcut doesn't seem to start the diagnostic automatically, but if I just hit Enter five times it runs through the whole thing. It managed to get my server back online this morning so that's good enough for me! Thanks man! This should hold me over good until I'm using a different/wired network adapter.

Sorry, yeah, you need to generate an answer file if you want it to run without input.

If the problem really is just that the adapter needs to be reset occasionally, paste this into Notepad and save as a .bat file:

code:

powershell -command "& {start-process -FilePath $pshome\powershell.exe -ArgumentList '-EncodedCommand RwBlAHQALQBOAGUAdABBAGQAYQBwAHQAZQByACAAfAAgAEQAaQBzAGEAYgBsAGUALQBOAGUAdABBAGQAYQBwAHQAZQByACAALQBDAG8AbgBmAGkAcgBtADoAJABmAGEAbABzAGUAIAAtAFAAYQBzAHMAVABoAHIAdQAgAHwAIABFAG4AYQBiAGwAZQAtAE4AZQB0AEEAZABhAHAAdABlAHIA' -verb RunAs}"

The encoded command is just to avoid trying to make cmd.exe parse nested braces. It decodes to
code:

Get-NetAdapter | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false -PassThru | Enable-NetAdapter

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Statutory Ape posted:

Any suggestions for why my start menu on my xps 13 A) lags when i open it a bit and B) under no circumstances lets me use the search functionality?

ie, when i hit windows key on every other computer and start typing "Calc" it'll bring up calculator ,etc. there is no text input happening at all :shrug:

I don't know of a fix offhand, but you're not alone. I'm pretty sure performance issues like this are part of why the next big update is decoupling Cortana from search.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Toast Museum posted:

I don't know of a fix offhand, but you're not alone. I'm pretty sure performance issues like this are part of why the next big update is decoupling Cortana from search.

Well thats good news at least. that windows search is a big part of how i access applications on my computers

i just put a fresh dang install like 8 weeks ago and have barely even used the freaking thing since, i really dont wanna do it again tbqh...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Toast Museum posted:

Sorry, yeah, you need to generate an answer file if you want it to run without input.

If the problem really is just that the adapter needs to be reset occasionally, paste this into Notepad and save as a .bat file:

code:
powershell -command "& {start-process -FilePath $pshome\powershell.exe -ArgumentList '-EncodedCommand RwBlAHQALQBOAGUAdABBAGQAYQBwAHQAZQByACAAfAAgAEQAaQBzAGEAYgBsAGUALQBOAGUAdABBAGQAYQBwAHQAZQByACAALQBDAG8AbgBmAGkAcgBtADoAJABmAGEAbABzAGUAIAAtAFAAYQBzAHMAVABoAHIAdQAgAHwAIABFAG4AYQBiAGwAZQAtAE4AZQB0AEEAZABhAHAAdABlAHIA' -verb RunAs}"
The encoded command is just to avoid trying to make cmd.exe parse nested braces. It decodes to
code:
Get-NetAdapter | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false -PassThru | Enable-NetAdapter
Oh thanks, I am giving this a shot. UAC prompts keep nagging me here - I made the batch file itself run as an administrator but I'm not sure how to do the same for CMD. The path is "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" but when I go into that file's properties there is no "Shortcut" tab.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Minidust posted:

Oh thanks, I am giving this a shot. UAC prompts keep nagging me here - I made the batch file itself run as an administrator but I'm not sure how to do the same for CMD. The path is "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" but when I go into that file's properties there is no "Shortcut" tab.

Short of turning UAC off (don't), I'm not sure you can avoid being prompted*; toggling network adapters requires admin when you do it through the UI as well.

As written, the batch file tells PowerShell to start another PowerShell process as admin, allowing it to disable/re-enable the network adapters. Alternatively, the batch file can contain just

code:

powershell -command "& {Get-NetAdapter | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false -PassThru | Enable-NetAdapter}"

And you can make a shortcut to it, which you can then tell to run as admin (as you discovered, only shortcuts have the properties tab that contains that setting). Either way, you've got to deal with a UAC prompt.

*One workaround to avoid UAC prompts is to use Task Scheduler. You could schedule a task to run the commands daily at 4:00 AM, for instance. If you think you might go that route, I can go into more detail.

Setting all that aside, what sort of troubleshooting have you done with the wireless adapter? It's entirely possible that something like a driver update will resolve this connection issue.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Get another WiFi adapter, Jesus Christ.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm pretty bummed about microsoft's latest aggressively user-hostile move, which is to remove onedrive streaming from groove.

Since I use this feature virtually every day, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any apps with equivalent functionality. Specifically, this is the ability to stream (not download) your own music (eg, not subscription and not "whatever's on catalog"), from a file service like onedrive.

The alternate option is to dust off Harmony Music (r.i.p.) & rebuild it for Windows desktop, but I actually would prefer to just buy an app.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Factor Mystic posted:

Since I use this feature virtually every day, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any apps with equivalent functionality. Specifically, this is the ability to stream (not download) your own music (eg, not subscription and not "whatever's on catalog"), from a file service like onedrive.

Google Play Music has that ability.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lambert posted:

Google Play Music has that ability.
Can you elaborate on this? I know you can upload up to 50,000 songs to Google Play, but then they are managed by Google and well, I personally would prefer to have my music saved on my hard-drive/NAS (for in home streaming) or at least be able to choose another service like drop box to store my music instead of being limited to Google's servers. I like this Google Play Music feature, I just think it could be better.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Plex?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crotch Fruit posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I know you can upload up to 50,000 songs to Google Play, but then they are managed by Google and well, I personally would prefer to have my music saved on my hard-drive/NAS (for in home streaming) or at least be able to choose another service like drop box to store my music instead of being limited to Google's servers. I like this Google Play Music feature, I just think it could be better.

What do you mean by "managed"? You don't have to get rid of your local copies of the music.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Crotch Fruit posted:

Plex will let you store your music on your home NAS and stream it around. Not sure about the cloud services part though.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm pretty bummed about microsoft's latest aggressively user-hostile move, which is to remove onedrive streaming from groove.

The alternate option is to dust off Harmony Music (r.i.p.) & rebuild it for Windows desktop, but I actually would prefer to just buy an app.

Doesn't the Onedrive web interface allow this? I'm pretty sure that you can stream music/videos/images inside a browser from just about every cloud storage service, without downloading the actual file to your device.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

spincube posted:

Doesn't the Onedrive web interface allow this? I'm pretty sure that you can stream music/videos/images inside a browser from just about every cloud storage service, without downloading the actual file to your device.

You can stream from Google Drive, but as far as I know there's no playlist controls or even the ability to automatically move from track to track in a folder. Can't say if there's some kind of interface to get around that, tho.

Plex sounds like a decent solution. I know I can stream from my co-worker's on my phone. Not sure how the media player is for music, tho.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. Still, thinking about it, it works if you have the standard 'Music\Artist\(year) Album' directory structure; and if you're looking at a phone anyway, you could fudge up a 'Playlists\Music I Like' folder, a 'Playlists\angry Norwegian guys screaming WHUUUURGH' folder, and so on, by copy-pasting files around. Depends how big your music library is, I suppose.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Yeah I should have also said "enables you to play more than one file without interaction" ie play an album, play a playlist, play a genre, play a collection mix. Being able to click play in a browser for just 1 mp3 and then it stops won't cut it.

Also I want to be able to do this at work (which is what I'm doing currently) so streaming from a home collection or installing plex probably won't fly, but a small app or something from the store is probably fine.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I'm years out of the loop, but is it realistic to just assume that everyone with Windows 10 has Powershell installed and enabled at this point? Setting up scripting would make my life with the family much easier to manage if true.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Powershell is part of the default install, so you can rely on it. I'm curious, what are you planning on doing with it in a family context? Sounds interesting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ariza posted:

I'm years out of the loop, but is it realistic to just assume that everyone with Windows 10 has Powershell installed and enabled at this point? Setting up scripting would make my life with the family much easier to manage if true.

here ya go, all the versions and what's installed by default (it's also the default terminal now too)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/windows-powershell-system-requirements?view=powershell-6

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

check event viewer, see if you've got a bunch of stuff like Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cx571q69xxyzy!CortanaUI failed with error: some bullshit excuse

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Statutory Ape posted:

That's just Windows 10, in my experience. A broken piece of poo poo that hasn't really gotten any better.

DrBrezo
May 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

That's just Windows 10, in my experience. A broken piece of poo poo that hasn't really gotten any better.

This. Search constantly fucks up and can't even find elements of the start menu itself, or calc or even RUN about 3/4 of the time

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lambert posted:

I'm curious, what are you planning on doing with it in a family context? Sounds interesting.

I'll second that. It's been a minute since I've done any tech support for family, so I'm drawing a blank on recurring issues that a script might help with. I guess there's stuff like restarting WiFi, as above.

Definitely setup PowerShell remoting, in any case. I'm pretty sure Home editions can host remote sessions, unlike Remote Desktop, and it should be less painful to use on a slow/high-latency connection.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Toast Museum posted:

Setting all that aside, what sort of troubleshooting have you done with the wireless adapter? It's entirely possible that something like a driver update will resolve this connection issue.
Thanks, yeah I've tried updating the driver and the behavior doesn't seem to change. And now Device Manager claims I already have the best drivers installed. I've checked event viewer after the wifi cuts out, and there's always a few hundred instances of Event 17 and Event 10400, which read:

Event 17 posted:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x6
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0xA116
Class Code: 0x30400

The details view of this entry contains further information.
and

Event 10400 posted:

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 8968 time(s) since it was last initialized.
The network card is just a couple years old but I guess it has to be at fault here? I'm pretty sure the PCI thing referenced in the first error is pointing to the Network card in the second.

Lambert posted:

Get another WiFi adapter, Jesus Christ.
Haha I know I know, the only reason I'm riding this out is because the server is temporary displaced due to some basement renovations. As soon as those are done it's going right next to the router with a wired connection.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 22, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Minidust posted:

Thanks, yeah I've tried updating the driver and the behavior doesn't seem to change. And now Device Manager claims I already have the best drivers installed. I've checked event viewer after the wifi cuts out, and there's always a few hundred instances of Event 17 and Event 10400, which read:
and

The network card is just a couple years old but I guess it has to be at fault here? I'm pretty sure the PCI thing referenced in the first error is pointing to the Network card in the second.

Have you tried updating/reinstalling the chipset drivers? The hardware ID on the first error seems to refer to a PCIe port rather than the device located at that port. Maybe it's the chipset bugging out, not the wireless adapter.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
^E: oh that chipset. Yeah that's worth a shot too.

Yeah devmgr doesn't know poo poo from shine-ola. Try drivers direct from the chipset mfgr, and not necessarily the very newest ones.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Klyith posted:

check event viewer, see if you've got a bunch of stuff like Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cx571q69xxyzy!CortanaUI failed with error: some bullshit excuse

i took your advice and i do see this

quote:

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Minidust posted:

Thanks, yeah I've tried updating the driver and the behavior doesn't seem to change. And now Device Manager claims I already have the best drivers installed.

Are you running the driver version 18.33.15.1 which seems to be the newest? Getting the most recent chipset drivers from Intel might also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh, I hadn't noticed the wifi is Intel. So much for my mfgr chipset driver suggestion. Still, like others said, try un/reinstalling mobo chipset drivers.