Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at least people aren't pretending rallycross will be the next big thing anymore

Rallycross is super entertaining to watch live. Multiple races, so no big deal if one is a snoozer. The cars are always in view, you don't miss a pass at turn 1 because you're at turn 11 or whatever, and jumps and drifting are cool.

But it was never gonna be huge, and GRC went bankrupt lmao.

That said, huge != good. WRC is the best motorsport there is. Although, WRC is probably fairly popular if you added all the countries up? IDK how it compares with f1...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, huge != good. WRC is the best motorsport there is. Although, WRC is probably fairly popular if you added all the countries up? IDK how it compares with f1...
WRC was great in the 90s then they slowly killed it by sanitising it in misguided attempts to make it TV friendly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zaphod42 posted:

Rallycross is super entertaining to watch live. Multiple races, so no big deal if one is a snoozer. The cars are always in view, you don't miss a pass at turn 1 because you're at turn 11 or whatever, and jumps and drifting are cool.

But it was never gonna be huge, and GRC went bankrupt lmao.

WRC rally cross, not proper WRC?

Look at this fool who has never seen stadium super trucks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rallying is only fun actually doing it, it’s boring as poo poo otherwise. Same with Golf.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
SST is awesome. Hail Robby

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Although, WRC is probably fairly popular if you added all the countries up? IDK how it compares with f1...

I can tell you at least in the US, WRC and rally are no where near the popularity of F1, which itself is pretty niche. I don't even think it's televised here anymore now that Speed channel died. Hell, I'm a racing fan myself and couldn't name a single driver currently in the series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BubbaGrace posted:

I can tell you at least in the US, WRC and rally are no where near the popularity of F1, which itself is pretty niche. I don't even think it's televised here anymore now that Speed channel died. Hell, I'm a racing fan myself and couldn't name a single driver currently in the series.

Start with "Sebastien" and then say something french and you're probably right.

Or name any one of the dudesons and swap the vowels around

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
In my experience the US fuckin loves rallycross and motocross but doesn't give a poo poo about traditional/WRC type stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ilmucche posted:

WRC rally cross, not proper WRC?

Look at this fool who has never seen stadium super trucks.

That's WRX. No, I mean stage rally when I say WRC.

Also gently caress off, I was just talking about stadium super trucks. But they still have the problem where you can't see the whole track live.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BubbaGrace posted:

Dude, no poo poo? Was it not clear I knew that when I said "if you added all the little countries up"

That's not even in question.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I really enjoy WRC and their content presentation with their streaming service. It's the best in motorsport outside Moto GP. Wish we could get complete feeds for every driver on like the longest stage or something. I've watched every stage of every single rally this year it's a lot of fun following along.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How many Spanish twinks are there in WRC?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Carlito will be there after F1 dumps him

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
WRC was better when they let shitheel amateurs in, driving in shoestring teams and they'd die every week. Much the same as F1.

RIP F1's greatest perished hero, Roland Ratzenberger. The epitome of the Formula One fighting spirit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's WRX. No, I mean stage rally when I say WRC.

Also gently caress off, I was just talking about stadium super trucks. But they still have the problem where you can't see the whole track live.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude, no poo poo? Was it not clear I knew that when I said "if you added all the little countries up"

That's not even in question.

Dude chill

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Dude, that gave me chills

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The only rally worth a drat these days is the Dakar, because it's mental and not dumbed down for TV.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dakar is actually going back to Dakar next year right?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Am I the only one who would love to watch a one of F1 endurance race?

I know it will never be feasible for many reasons, but I still would love to see a 6-12 or even 24 hour race with driver swaps etc.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

freeranger posted:

I know it will never be feasible for many reasons, but I still would love to see a 6-12 or even 24 hour race with driver swaps etc.

Uhh gently caress yeah.

Make it multiclass with F2s as well

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

freeranger posted:

The cars would never last that long.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Using a wrestling term, they can call it the Charlie position, just like the Gorilla position in WWE.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gigi Galli posted:

The cars would never last that long.

Ferraris can't even last 2 hours. :v:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Carlito will be there after F1 dumps him

Shut the gently caress up

MOOOOOODDSSSSS!!!!!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Apparently work started today on the Hanoi F1 track in Vietnam. Expected to be finished by March next year, ready to race in April.

Predictions on how this first race is going to unfold? Track falls apart before Qualifying even takes place?

Edit: The description gives me so much hope for the race being exciting etc....

The circuit is described as a "unique hybrid layout" with "a real desire to steer away from humdrum 90-degree road-junction type corners and foster a layout that facilitates wheel-to-wheel racing while retaining a closed-in street feel that makes city race tracks so demanding for drivers".

A layout of the Hermann Tilke-designed track was published by Formula One, which said the opening corners are based on Turns 1 and 2 at the Nurburgring while other sections take inspiration from Monaco, Suzuka and Malaysia's Sepang circuit. There is also a 1.5km straight, which will see cars top out at 335km/h (208 mph) before a heavy braking zone.

Also.... wtf is going on with the forums....

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 21, 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

freeranger posted:

Apparently work started today on the Hanoi F1 track in Vietnam. Expected to be finished by March next year, ready to race in April.

Predictions on how this first race is going to unfold? Track falls apart before Qualifying even takes place?

Edit: The description gives me so much hope for the race being exciting etc....

The circuit is described as a "unique hybrid layout" with "a real desire to steer away from humdrum 90-degree road-junction type corners and foster a layout that facilitates wheel-to-wheel racing while retaining a closed-in street feel that makes city race tracks so demanding for drivers".

A layout of the Hermann Tilke-designed track was published by Formula One, which said the opening corners are based on Turns 1 and 2 at the Nurburgring while other sections take inspiration from Monaco, Suzuka and Malaysia's Sepang circuit. There is also a 1.5km straight, which will see cars top out at 335km/h (208 mph) before a heavy braking zone.

Also.... wtf is going on with the forums....

The forums are dying much like how Formula 1 will be dead by next year so we don't have to see another shithole track that nobody cares aboput

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Paul was loving amazing. Band on the run is awesome live.

Also Liberty stop loving around and secure the classic track before loving around in...checks notes...vietnam? just what the gently caress

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm confused as to why F1 would want to race in a place like Vietnam which is not a Petrochemical Tyranny. How much money can the locals have to pay Big Race for the privilege of hosting a fraudulent sprint with no passing?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think rallycross is one of those sports which is only good as a club sport. It's not rallycross if all the cars are factory sponsored and have glitzy Monster Energy paint jobs, they should be racing beat-to-poo poo 20-year-old family coupes.

I give you:
https://youtu.be/k4ak7wGPGCc

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

The forums are dying much like how Formula 1 will be dead by next year so we don't have to see another shithole track that nobody cares aboput

Should we start a mailing list or something so we can all stay in touch after we graduate the forums die

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Tilke has designed good tracks, but the lovely ones have often been because of silly requirements like 'have the longest straight' or 'make it in this featureless desert'

Tldr I miss Sepang

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

freeranger posted:

Predictions on how this first race is going to unfold?

While the Vietnam national anthem plays,demon Nixon returns from the underworld to drop the big one on the city.

Also, bottas sets a decent time in quali.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

These forums really are dead, huh?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Big Huski Boi posted:

?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Big Huski Boi posted:

accendi il tuo monitor

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I know it's a well-known even but this is a great bit of nostalgia, and you get to feel it all build up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLI6fOG3WdI

I do miss James Hunt. Such a knack at observation.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

accendi il tuo monitor

leave me out of this!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Happy birthday to mclaren legend Ayrton Senna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Akira Toriyama greeting a fan

zelah fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 21, 2019