Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Dune reprint incoming

https://kotaku.com/the-classic-dune-board-game-is-coming-back-after-over-3-1833389795

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fix posted:

Got my first game of Root, and that was great and also immensely concerning. We all went off the VP track and got into this cycle of circle-stomping until one person (I won't say me) forgot to and ended the game after two and a half hours. I guess that's... how it goes?

Just played our second game. Not everyone left the VP track but it still ended up in everyone circle stomping the 3 players who were vying for victory. I’d still like to give the game a few more goes to see how it plays when everyone actually knows how all the factions work, but overall I’m unimpressed. The hype probably factors in to my impression though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Spirit Island rulebook kinda drives me bonkers. Here's an example of something that has given my group pause which we agree is foggy from the rules and examples - when do powers which give energy (especially to another spirit) give that energy? Can the spirit who recieves the energy use it that turn to play a card?

The curve ball is if "no, that energy is for next turn, because you pay for cards before you resolve them" and you have a spirit like "Shadows Flicker in Flame" who has an energy-added ability for powers, in this case for range, when does that ability get paid for? Can SFF use energy gained from another spirit's power to modify the range and target of a played card?

It's just fuzzy man. Fuzzy. Which is a shame because we like the game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tekopo posted:

Why did you all go for the alternative victory conditions? They are just a catch-up mechanism, usually it's a really bad idea to go for them.

In each case it seemed viable at the moment, but mostly we were just checking things out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gloomhaven has an exception that monsters don't loot chests as the last sentence in a huge paragraph that runs into another page and I'll never forgive it, especially when every looting monster swarms a chest in any scenario it starts in which leads you to assume they can loot it.

On the subject of fuzzy rules, Keyflower is a big offender especially when it comes to that games scoring. It's simple in execution, but learning exclusively from the book I immediately went to the BGG page for clarification.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CommonShore posted:

The curve ball is if "no, that energy is for next turn, because you pay for cards before you resolve them" and you have a spirit like "Shadows Flicker in Flame" who has an energy-added ability for powers, in this case for range, when does that ability get paid for? Can SFF use energy gained from another spirit's power to modify the range and target of a played card?

You pay for powers when you declare them - that is, when going into the 'use powers' phase. That is, you pay the cost in the upper left of the card. This is because you have the option to forgo the actual powers, if something has changed in board state, but you don't get the energy back.

Paying extra energy for something like SFiF's abilities is done during the power resolution, as it's described as 'whenever you use a power'.

At least, this is my intepretation.

You're right though, the rules are not great. The first time my friends and I played the game was at a con, and there was a lot of flipping back and forth in the rulebook to figure it out.

al-azad posted:

On the subject of fuzzy rules, Keyflower is a big offender especially when it comes to that games scoring. It's simple in execution, but learning exclusively from the book I immediately went to the BGG page for clarification.

I hate the KeyFlower rulebook. It's sort of oddly translated, but the way it's laid out - grouped by actions, then by seasons within the actions goes against the game's general flow and visually is hard to follow (the rulebook's text-heavy design doesn't help). What's really annoying though is that there's a page for setup, and then there's a section for setup in each season. Except for spring, because that section is in the general game setup section further in the front. Which, in a way, makes some sort of sense but it contradicts the rest of the layout.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 20, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fix posted:

In each case it seemed viable at the moment, but mostly we were just checking things out.
That's fair. The thing to note about Domination victory conditions is that they are extremely easy to disrupt and only a few sides can actively take advantage of them. Lizards and Birds have the easiest time, while as mentioned, WA struggles to do it at all.

In my groups, I've never seen anyone do domination successfully, and largely it's only done if you are way, way behind, because it's much easier to disrupt someone from a domination victory than it is to prevent them from getting a VP victory.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm eyeing that Dune reprint hard. I really hope they only clean up all the weird variants and suggestions, rolling them into one, because Rex is really soulless in how it tries to smooth over the hard edges which are absolutely required for such a politics heavy game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I found Spirit Island's rulebook very clear and intuitive, but it's definitely not very technical. So it's easy to start out but as you run into more complex scenarios ambiguity starts to creep in.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The Chicago Express rulebook is very short and easy to follow. Granted, the game is pretty simple mechanically.

The COIN games have my favorite rulebooks, with thorough indexes and a section numbering system that makes cross-referencing a breeze. They also include playbooks with in-depth examples and tons of flavor text. The only downside is that early editions sometimes include contradictions between the rules and the playbook examples, but these are corrected in the continually maintained online "living rules".

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Morpheus posted:

I hate the KeyFlower rulebook. It's sort of oddly translated, but the way it's laid out - grouped by actions, then by seasons within the actions goes against the game's general flow and visually is hard to follow (the rulebook's text-heavy design doesn't help). What's really annoying though is that there's a page for setup, and then there's a section for setup in each season. Except for spring, because that section is in the general game setup section further in the front. Which, in a way, makes some sort of sense but it contradicts the rest of the layout.

Unless English is not your first language it's not translated? Do you mean the German rules were badly translated? Yeah Richard Breese is aware of the criticisms of his rulebooks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Unless English is not your first language it's not translated? Do you mean the German rules were badly translated? Yeah Richard Breese is aware of the criticisms of his rulebooks.

Sorry, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember the text feeling sort of...stilted? Not sure how to put it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Sorry, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember the text feeling sort of...stilted? Not sure how to put it.

It's BRITISH :) That's the way they talk.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mayveena posted:

It's BRITISH :) That's the way they talk.

Hahah geeze didn't even realize. I mean, I guess that demonstrates what I think of the writing :P

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the German rulebook is also packaged with the game, and the tiles also have the german names for everything, so I just assumed it was German.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We are sincerely honoured to have been nominated for a Golden Geek Award for Best Podcast.
If you would like to vote for us, please follow the link: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2170977/13th-annual-golden-geek-awards-nominees-announced
To vote for someone else, go to aircanada.ca.

Time to support SVWAG

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Voted for svwag, brum, and meltwater.

I couldn't bring myself to care enough to vote for teotihuacan, and I'm not sure if I played anything else new. Uh I guess I played welcome to but it was so forgettable I refuse to give it a score.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Time to support SVWAG

Wait SVWAG is goony? I missed that. It all makes sense now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't think SVWAG is goony. It's just a good podcast.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

djfooboo posted:

No, but it's really good.

Like, no podcast comes close.

But everyone should vote for meltwater in wargames too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If anyone in the EU fancies Orleans or Altiplano, DLP are selling bundles on their website at heavily reduced cost. Altiplano plus The Traveller plus the Sunny Days mini-expansion for €50, Orleans plus Trade & Intrigue plus all seven New Place Tiles and Promo Place Tiles for €60. Be fast - there's only 90-something of each bundle for sale, and only for the next seven days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's my ballot

Board Game of the Year
Root
Brass

2-Player Game
mehhhhh none of them

Artwork & Presentation
Root

Card Game
Shards of Infinity
The Mind

Cooperative Game
Pandemic Fall of Rome
The Mind

Expansion
AFFO Norwegians
Root Riverfolk

Family Game
Reef
Azul

Innovative
eh what a bad category

Party Game
WHERES PICTOMANIA YOU ASSES

Wargame
Metlwater
(interesting that Root is listed in wargames in the BGG database but under thematic games here)

Podcast
SVWAG

the rest of the categories are dumb

Speaking of, Pictomania revised edition is great. Been playing it a lot and the changes are solid but holllly poo poo the level 4 cards are near impossible to convey. I don't remember how tough the words get in the original but these are so bad we've only seen one or two correct guesses in maybe 10 plays.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 20, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Played through the tutorial game of Fog of Love last night with the fiance, was a ton of fun. I look forward to playing through a “real” game. Does great at expressing theme through mechanics, and the mechanics provide for some fun player reading. I could definitely see it getting a bit Too Real for some players, though. Also could see people who don’t care at all about roleplaying being pretty meh on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Disappointed that there was no nomination for best Kickstarter. Some of the deluxe versions of games that were Kickstarted were pretty amazing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, Pictomania revised edition is great. Been playing it a lot and the changes are solid but holllly poo poo the level 4 cards are near impossible to convey. I don't remember how tough the words get in the original but these are so bad we've only seen one or two correct guesses in maybe 10 plays.

I'm pretty sure in the original there was a card that had six different ways of paying taxes to the government.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There was at least a card in the original with

Debt
Mortgage
Loan

and three others. I drew a house, money, pointed to the house, and crossed the house out, to show that it was like a mortgage but unrelated to houses, to show loan.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

djfooboo posted:

No. I tried to tempt Mark onto SA, but he hates the lay out and feels spread thin enough on BGG Twitter FB and whatever other online stuff he does.

Also, somebody give me 5 geek gold so I can vote, TIA.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Played through the tutorial game of Fog of Love last night with the fiance, was a ton of fun. I look forward to playing through a “real” game. Does great at expressing theme through mechanics, and the mechanics provide for some fun player reading. I could definitely see it getting a bit Too Real for some players, though. Also could see people who don’t care at all about roleplaying being pretty meh on it.

We've played 3 times now and my character, Gareth Faust, is having a real tough time finding his true love. During the High school story, I think the only scene we matched on was getting married and hoo boy did that relationship go south real quick.

It's really a beautiful game aesthetically and mechanically.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Also, somebody give me 5 geek gold so I can vote, TIA.

What's your name on there? I'll give you 5 geek gold.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Huxley posted:

What's your name on there? I'll give you 5 geek gold.

monkeypuncher

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I'm pretty sure in the original there was a card that had six different ways of paying taxes to the government.

Yeah one of the new ones is all about back anatomy with spine, vertebrate, etc. It's evil.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I didn’t realize how little I have played new games this year. On all those lists I played 4 games. I guess Teotihuacan would be my game of the year.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shes Not Impressed posted:

We've played 3 times now and my character, Gareth Faust, is having a real tough time finding his true love. During the High school story, I think the only scene we matched on was getting married and hoo boy did that relationship go south real quick.

It's really a beautiful game aesthetically and mechanically.

It’s real astonishing how well it simulates a relationship. I started with a trait to get a lot of combined happiness, and a Destiny to where we’d both be happy. “Perfect!” I thought, “my character will try to make sure we both have a happy relationship! that’s their dream: to where we’re both humble and happy.” Meanwhile, their partner was a self-centered TV star. It was about 2/3 of the way through the game i realized that “we’ll both be happy!” wasn’t working out, especially since my happiness rating had tanked down to like 4, while theirs was in the high 20s. I had the dawning realization of “oh god, this can’t be the dream relationship i want it to be…Well hey, maybe I can, uh, work to make my partner happy, even if I can’t be!!” and decided to pivot towards the destiny of Unconditional Love. The game then shifted from trying and failing to make my character happy, to trying to predict what would make my partner happy. Doing so didn’t make my character happy, and ended the game without fulfilling their destiny and with like 14 happiness to my partner’s 30-something. It was great, but poor Phil.

It really is amazing how well it ties the mechanics into the theming.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

I found Spirit Island's rulebook very clear and intuitive, but it's definitely not very technical. So it's easy to start out but as you run into more complex scenarios ambiguity starts to creep in.

Speaking of Spirit Island I've been playing a lot!

So far I've got one win at 3-players with River, Earth, & Thunderspeaker, one win at 4-players with Green, Lightning, Shadows, and Ocean, and one loss at 3-players with River, Earth, and Lightning.

I think I want to try the scary nightmare guy next. Exactly how much support does he need in the physical world to not throw the game? I'd be worried about the invaders snowballing out of control when one of the spirits basically doesn't do anything but hammer the fear track. Does the increased fear make up for the lack of damage?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I found Teotihuacan pretty meh and I can't even describe why precisely. Maybe because I love Tzolkin?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

djfooboo posted:

I found Teotihuacan pretty meh and I can't even describe why precisely. Maybe because I love Tzolkin?

Same, more or less. I like the off-then-on mechanism from tzolkin and disliked the kinda similar mechanisms in teo. I think the problem is that leaving a die somewhere is *bad* because they're not accomplishing anything, whereas leaving a dude on a wheel is *good* because they're just getting stronger.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

silvergoose posted:

There was at least a card in the original with

Debt
Mortgage
Loan

and three others. I drew a house, money, pointed to the house, and crossed the house out, to show that it was like a mortgage but unrelated to houses, to show loan.

:master:

Oh man I didn't realize Pictomania had a reprint, I gotta get this. It was impossible to find a few years ago when I caught vlaada fever.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The Pictomania 2nd edition kind of blows compared to the original IMO. It’s like half the game and half the components.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

Speaking of Spirit Island I've been playing a lot!

So far I've got one win at 3-players with River, Earth, & Thunderspeaker, one win at 4-players with Green, Lightning, Shadows, and Ocean, and one loss at 3-players with River, Earth, and Lightning.

I think I want to try the scary nightmare guy next. Exactly how much support does he need in the physical world to not throw the game? I'd be worried about the invaders snowballing out of control when one of the spirits basically doesn't do anything but hammer the fear track. Does the increased fear make up for the lack of damage?

Bringer doesn't need as much support as he appears to need. His innate is kinda goofy but powerful: any time you would do damage and it kills, you deal fear and push instead. Since he can push anything but cities, you can exercise good crowd control and keep explorers and towns out of trouble areas. He combos really well with the Ocean spirit, since you can push all those jerks right into the ocean. You're a little dependent on drawing major powers, as you need one that can reliably deal damage pretty quick. "Destroying" a city will deal 5 fear; which in a two player game is more than half of what you need for a fear card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Elysium posted:

The Pictomania 2nd edition kind of blows compared to the original IMO. It’s like half the game and half the components.

ehhhh I think everything is a positive change except paper/pencil instead of dry erase (easily replaced).

quote:

Now that the rules have been uploaded, I've gone through and had a look at what's changed, and my thoughts on each.

Lower price - This is always a good thing!

Smaller box - No complaints from me. In fact, my old edition came damaged in the corner so I took to it with scissors and turned it into an 18x22cm box which fit the contents perfectly. This should be a nice compact box that's easy to bring to games nights.

Paper sheets and pencils instead of dry erase boards - I don't love this change as I really liked the dry erase boards. But I guess if you want the smaller box and lwoer price, something had to give. On the plus side, CGE have made the drawing sheets available for download so you can print out as many as you need, and pencils do allow you to draw finer details than with markers.

Only 3 cards in use instead of 6 - 6 of one, half a dozen of another. I suppose using 3 can make it a bit trickier as you need to be very aware of WHICH item on the card you need to draw or guess because many words on a single card are quite similar.

Player and round point tokens different shape - Might be a bit harder to stack (because you want the higher, bigger tokens at the top of the pile) but otherwise, meh.

Player point tokens different values - instead of 3/2/1/1/1 it is now 3/2/2/1/1. I guess it spreads out the point values, so that it's not quite so vital to be that first guesser. Little less tense I suppose, if you like that sort of thing.

1 extra round token - so now the round ends when the last player takes a bonus token, not the second last. This is for soft people. Boo. Interestingly the "original" rule is actually a variant in the rulebook. Use it.

The game is played over 4 rounds, not 5 - This is probably because the supplied sheets are folder to form 4 pages. Not really an issue, you really can just play this game until you don't feel like it any more.

Once you've made your first guess, you're not allowed to change your drawing - So this is an interesting change. In the original edition, it even says you can stop drawing, guess for a while and then go back to drawing. I guess it simplifies things, but I prefer being able to go back and clarify your drawing if other players are struggling.

I find the 3 card change good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

ehhhh I think everything is a positive change except paper/pencil instead of dry erase (easily replaced).

I find the 3 card change good.

yeah, agreed. 3 cards is monumentally better. also easier to teach fiish drawing before guessing rather than simultaneous everything. i have both versions, and i am still trying to figure out if i keep 1st ed