Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

b_d posted:

huh, how does that work?

I do not think that's true, considering the game will make you redo the choice leading to ending E until you've seen both C and D, meaning you need to redo that scene three total times to get E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

:shrug: I got E before D. Just assumed it was the same for C

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I do not think that's true, considering the game will make you redo the choice leading to ending E until you've seen both C and D, meaning you need to redo that scene three total times to get E

I got E in two times, I think I skipped one?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You get E at the same time as the second of C and D cause it's just an extension off of either that occurs once you've seen both.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

:shrug: I got E before D. Just assumed it was the same for C

Seriously?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You get C or D and then you get the other one and E at the same time unless you choose not to get ending E.
Ending E exists outside of the narrative and the game itself, which is kind of the point of it as a whole. You 100% cannot get E before C or D unless you glitched out.

GOTY edition is out today.
It's just a regular NieR Automata disk, a DLC code and some goodies but if you want to tell Square-Enix you want a NieR remaster and a new NieR and like wasting money, there may be worse ways of doing it than buying the GOTY.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Samuringa posted:

I got E in two times, I think I skipped one?

Regy Rusty posted:

You get E at the same time as the second of C and D cause it's just an extension off of either that occurs once you've seen both.

I was almost positive I needed to view D again after getting D before C in order to find E, and I also could have sworn that was what the online guides at the time said too, but yeah now the one of Wikia says you can get E from either one so long as you see both. Weird!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It definitely makes more sense after D. Well, to the extent that it makes sense :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The original game has been replaced with the re-release on the Steam store. It's not a new entry on Steam, they just changed the name and price. If you currently own Automata on Steam, you can't buy the GOTY version for yourself because it's not a separate title, it's just a bundle for new players. If you own the original release but not the DLC, you can still buy it separate, and the price has been permanently reduced from $15 to $10.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The original game has been replaced with the re-release on the Steam store. It's not a new entry on Steam, they just changed the name and price. If you currently own Automata on Steam, you can't buy the GOTY version for yourself because it's not a separate title, it's just a bundle for new players. If you own the original release but not the DLC, you can still buy it separate, and the price has been permanently reduced from $15 to $10.

They didn't do anything to improve performance on the PC version did they? I just started a new playthrough yesterday and man I forgot just how badly optimized the PC version is. There's no reason why a gtx 970 should struggle as much as it does with Nier: A.

edit: Ah well. I'll just gently caress with the settings a bit and get it running alright.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 26, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They didn't change anything at all, it's not a new version or release of the game. People who buy the GOTY Edition now receive what current owners already have.

edit: If you're having performance problems, my advice is to try installing the FAR mod and setting it to force fullscreen with your native desktop resolution and see if it helps. It absolutely ruined my performance though with all kinds of stuttering and lag and with it uninstalled my game runs fine, so whether it'll help or not varies a lot based on your PC I'm sure.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 26, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

My 970 seemed to handle it just fine :shrug:

Doesn't the GotY edition come with what was originally pre-order bonus items? Since I can't buy the GotY edition, can I not get those at all now? Or did they come with the DLC or something?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It seems that buying the DLC separate "upgrades" you to the GOTY edition and you get the pre-order cosmetic items. If you own the base game and the DLC, you should have them now I think?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CJacobs posted:

They didn't change anything at all, it's not a new version or release of the game. People who buy the GOTY Edition now receive what current owners already have.

edit: If you're having performance problems, my advice is to try installing the FAR mod and setting it to force fullscreen with your native desktop resolution and see if it helps. It absolutely ruined my performance though with all kinds of stuttering and lag and with it uninstalled my game runs fine, so whether it'll help or not varies a lot based on your PC I'm sure.

I'll take a look at it later. The game itself runs fine, but its framerate is a total slideshow whenever theres a cutscene

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, that's not something you can fix. The cutscenes are all pre-rendered and in 30 fps, they run like crap for everyone. There is a separate mod you can download that re-encodes them to be 60 fps though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Oh, that's not something you can fix. The cutscenes are all pre-rendered and in 30 fps, they run like crap for everyone. There is a separate mod you can download that re-encodes them to be 60 fps though.

Oh, seriously? That's weird. It's definitely sub-30 for me though, 30 is tolerable to me as long as its consistant.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I honestly expected nothing from this "edition" and somehow was still left underwhelmed. Hope whatever crossovers Yoko Taro is doing in FF14 etc are working out for him.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://gfycat.com/unpleasantscrawnyjaguarundi-nier-automata

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Would've worked better over A2's flying snake boss.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was listening to the soundtrack and the Ending E music got me to tear up a little even though it’s been a couple of months since I played the game.

This frikkin game, you guys.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Midjack posted:

I was listening to the soundtrack and the Ending E music got me to tear up a little even though it’s been a couple of months since I played the game.

Try replaying the game. Even like the initial side quests and the bunker make my heart hurt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I finally did the quest which opens up after you level up every weapon. It's bizarre how hidden that is, for part of it you have to go to the same hidden area twice in one playthrough as far as I can tell. Anyway, all that's really left is to collect all the fish and get all the joke endings, and I don't know if I can be bothered with that. I'll probably do a full main quest playthru and delete my save again soon :rock:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
where the hell is this quest node pointing to in the multistory building in the city ruins you climb up to the top of to get to the flight units to fight the goliaths?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I think near one of the windows on the 2nd floor

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If it's a mission you got from the commander, and it's one of three circles that appeared for the same quest, it's random which circle it actually starts at, I think.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Relin posted:

where the hell is this quest node pointing to in the multistory building in the city ruins you climb up to the top of to get to the flight units to fight the goliaths?
do not give up on doing this quest btw its one of the better ones!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

TalkLittle posted:

I think near one of the windows on the 2nd floor
i couldnt see the npc in the black on black shadows ahhh

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Midjack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RarMlUQbEkQ

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 3, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so the short story collection "Short Story Long" is out in the US if anyone is interested. Got my copy from Amazon yesterday.

I finally finished the novelization "Long Story Short" and it was pretty average. I can't imagine anyone picking it up if they don't love the game, but it's kinda fun to relive some of the stuff I forgot.

I do have to say that it really botches a bunch of the game's big emotional moments. In particular, when A2 has to make her choice for Pascal, she basically gets through any kind of hesitation or angst in like a sentence. Something like, "A2 had to deal with bad memories of her squad so she erased Pascal's memories" when actual players struggled with that decision for much longer. Oh well!

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so the short story collection "Short Story Long" is out in the US if anyone is interested. Got my copy from Amazon yesterday.

I liked the first story "The Flame of Prometheus." I kind of agree with the thesis:

Step 1 toward societal happiness is technology. Most people in the world are working on catching up here, in 2019.

Step 2 is religion. People are lacking here badly, especially among the fortunate who already have the technology they need to connect with others. People tend too easily toward conflict and focusing on differences in their selfish desires. There's no higher law or goal to get people to work together.

Step 3 is firing yourself into space in a cannon. Some billionaires are working on this. Don't know how this relates to happiness but if Yoko Taro says it, it must be true.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I play through Nier Automata in a 3-day sitting last summer while I had a 103 degree fever

I barely remember it but listening to the music is punching me hard in the gut

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Short Story Long is not bad! It's just the supplemental material that everyone suggests to read after finishing the game (for good reason), but there were a couple in there that I had missed. I think it was worth another look. At least it doesn't have the problem Long Story Short has, which is that it's completely overshadowed by the game itself.

My favorites are Memory Cage and Memory Thorn. They really capture the kind of storytelling that this series excels at.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah I’m excited to read it. Sounds much more interesting than LSS. I’ve read summaries of a few of them on the Ark wiki but I want to read the real thing

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Hikaki posted:

Short Story Long is not bad! It's just the supplemental material that everyone suggests to read after finishing the game (for good reason), but there were a couple in there that I had missed. I think it was worth another look. At least it doesn't have the problem Long Story Short has, which is that it's completely overshadowed by the game itself.

My favorites are Memory Cage and Memory Thorn. They really capture the kind of storytelling that this series excels at.

Yeah agreed, the extra stories were just extra Nier. The one about the solitary android living with their pod was also very good.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Heads up that the Automata world guide/artbook has a release date of May 7. https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-1/dp/150671031X

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah agreed, the extra stories were just extra Nier. The one about the solitary android living with their pod was also very good.

I liked that one too. Though I think it would've been interesting if it turned out that she had memory-wiped herself. Like if what she discovered was so earth-shattering that she couldn't live without doing so. I was expecting that because it's kind of like how Pascal turned out. Imagine going through this cycle of birth and suicide for eternity. Though that wouldn't explain why she files away that location data for herself to find later.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Boogalo posted:

Heads up that the Automata world guide/artbook has a release date of May 7. https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-1/dp/150671031X

I just came here to ask what exactly this is, but for the price, even if it’s an art book it was worth the price. Also got both LSS and SSL, even though people seem to dislike the former it st least has a beautiful cover and spine. Plus I’d like to read a straight up plot summary in book form, as my playthroughs were super long because I’m just very slow when it comes to games like this. Excited for all theee though! Are there any other supplementary books or whatever that anyone would recommend ?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

LSS is fine, it's just as you said a summary in book form. Since that's what you're looking for, I think you'll enjoy it.

I think the issues people have with it are:

A. It's just a summary of the game.
B. The book uses leet speak for some of the machine dialogue, which looks kinda funny in 2019.
C. It changes some of the very memorable dialogue from the game, which can throw people off. So instead of "THIS CANNOT CONTINUE" we get something like "TH1S C@NNOT G0 0N"

That said, it's still enjoyable to go through if you want a refresher on the game.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Imhotep posted:

I just came here to ask what exactly this is, but for the price, even if it’s an art book it was worth the price.

From what I've been able to figure out, its the JP artbook that's been out for a while, but translated to english..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boogalo posted:

From what I've been able to figure out, its the JP artbook that's been out for a while, but translated to english..

That’s what it is.