Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

japtor posted:

The biggest difference is probably the 2GB vs 1GB RAM. It has another CPU core too...but the iPad mini 4 seems to hold up ok without that.

With the iPad mini being updated the only things left with the A8 are the iPod touch and non 4K Apple TV. Former is rumored to be updated, latter could be due to be killed off or replaced at the media event coming up. I’m guessing A8 support might not have too much life left.
It’s ridiculous they’re still selling the Touch for its price. I’m a tad surprised they’ll keep it going for at least one more generation. Seems like you can just get an older iPhone with no cell plan and have a similar product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My old iPad Air (1) that stopped charging still played minecraft like a champ so my son was happy.

Now I have to decide if I want a new one before the battery fully discharges if I want the tradein money (only $80) because it has to turn on..

Probably nah would rather get a new video card :haw:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s ridiculous they’re still selling the Touch for its price. I’m a tad surprised they’ll keep it going for at least one more generation. Seems like you can just get an older iPhone with no cell plan and have a similar product.

The Touch is for people who are willing to spend extra to specifically not have cellular service. So it's probably going to kids whose parents want complete control over their internet.

They used to make a Touch with no camera so you could bring it into secure areas. I don't know if they still do, but they've become niche devices so their cost/benefit ratio doesn't have to make sense.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All right, loving fine, it's time to trade my 1st generation iPad Mini in for the new iPad mini 5th generation.

A12 chip and 256 GB storage will give me the finest experience of playing FTL on the train ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Touch is for people who are willing to spend extra to specifically not have cellular service. So it's probably going to kids whose parents want complete control over their internet.

They used to make a Touch with no camera so you could bring it into secure areas. I don't know if they still do, but they've become niche devices so their cost/benefit ratio doesn't have to make sense.

I brought up how they get used in certain niche education cases a while back in- I think- an event thread and some jabroni tried to step to me about how that was stupid.

Honestly, I still think a cheaper, much better-supported iPod touch is a better device for many classroom applications than something like an iPad or chromebook. You can run graphing calculators on them, use them to make photography or video projects, record audio to them, take them on field trips...they’re pocket computers capable of most iPhone tasks minus the phone, which should be a big deal for creative educators...if only Apple would properly support a robust education ecosystem instead of just pushing people to buy carts of iPads and hoping that the free market of app developers comes in to fill in the gap.

They also get used as media consumption devices for elderly folks who don’t want/can’t handle a smartphone and I’ve heard of them being used with patients in psych settings for things like monitoring and self-reporting.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

All right, loving fine, it's time to trade my 1st generation iPad Mini in for the new iPad mini 5th generation.

A12 chip and 256 GB storage will give me the finest experience of playing FTL on the train ever.

Forget all that, I dunno how you dealt with that display for this long :gonk:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

My old iPad Air (1) that stopped charging still played minecraft like a champ so my son was happy.

Now I have to decide if I want a new one before the battery fully discharges if I want the tradein money (only $80) because it has to turn on..

Probably nah would rather get a new video card :haw:

If you trade it in, the value just gets given back to you as an Apple gift card, and you can sit on that indefinitely. You don’t have to buy a new iPad when you trade the old one in. Your choice is to trade it and get $80 you can spend on an iPad eventually or whatever else, or let the battery drain and get nothing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you trade it in, the value just gets given back to you as an Apple gift card, and you can sit on that indefinitely. You don’t have to buy a new iPad when you trade the old one in. Your choice is to trade it and get $80 you can spend on an iPad eventually or whatever else, or let the battery drain and get nothing.

Oh really? I was told it was just on the trade of a new ipad/iphone by the apple store guy. Well I should do that then if it’s not the case.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just ate at a pizza place an hour ago where all the servers were using iPod touches for taking orders.
Like the mini, it’s found a business niche and will continue to be made for fat margins as long as the parts still exist.

They might even have some long term business contracts and have to continue to produce them for X number of years regardless.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sourdough posted:

Forget all that, I dunno how you dealt with that display for this long :gonk:

Oof, yeah. We have an iPad Mini 1 at work that’s only used for controlling the A/V setup in the gym and man is it rough on the eyes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
All I want for the iPad in iOS 13 is top-bottom split screen in portrait orientation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Edit: double posting

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 21, 2019

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm seeing your posts in split screen right now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I'm seeing your posts in split screen right now.

Top-Bottom split screen? How? All I can do is side by side.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think he was making a double post joke

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

e: oops

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I’m currently using a iPad Air 1st Gen and the new releases has me curious what I should replace it with given it likely won’t get iOS 13. Since the specs between the new Air and Mini are identical minus the screen size, is there a reason why one should be picked over the other?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Island Nation posted:

I’m currently using a iPad Air 1st Gen and the new releases has me curious what I should replace it with given it likely won’t get iOS 13. Since the specs between the new Air and Mini are identical minus the screen size, is there a reason why one should be picked over the other?

Pick the 9.7” iPad. You can get them on sale all the time too.

eames
May 9, 2009

I ordered the new mini out of curiosity, my last iPad (1st gen 12,9" Pro with Pencil) was a unwieldy disaster that I resold after 3 months.
The mini still has all of the same iOS software constraints but I figure they're less of a concern in such a small package, yet it should still be a step up from my iPhone (aspect ratio, PiP mode, split screen mode). The almost complete feature parity makes the small form factor even more intriguing to me.

The 2018 iPad looks like it is terrific value but the unlaminated display bothered too much when I saw it in person.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Island Nation posted:

The Air is compatible with the Smart Keyboard if that matters to you.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Rolo posted:

101 posted:

:kiss:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like such a moron asking this, but I need help figuring out what type of USB brick to buy to charge my iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and my Nvidia Shield portable console at the same time, with both being on at the same time.

I bought this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BBZJ31Y

I figured it would be enough to charge both at the same time but it's not. It seems to charge my NVidia Shield Portable (a long-defunct handheld Shield console) while being used just fine, but my iPad cannot keep up with it. It will drain it faster than it can charge it if it's on.

I even tried plugging in ONLY my Android phone and it said "charging" instead of "charging rapidly" so I have no idea what the hell is up. I am looking at 60W usb wall plugs now but there's so many of them and it seems like a lot of them only give off certain amps depending on how many things you have plugged in, and I have no idea what ones would work for both devices. If someone can help me pick one out, I'd really appreciate it because I already have to return this Aukey one considering it couldn't even quick charge a 5" phone. I only need like 3 USB ports max (if it has to be more that's fine) and I don't need USB-C ports, not that I would mind having one. I just want one that can do what I need. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
AUKEY looks like a blatant ripoff of Anker. I have a multi usb Anker brick and it’s currently charging my iPad Pro, iPhone, Switch and separate Anker battery at the same time. Check them out.

E: I should clarify that I can use several things at the same time without anything losing a charge. Depends on what you’re doing though, I guess.

Maybe this would be better?
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ-Foldable/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Anker&qid=1553384128&s=wireless&sr=1-5

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 24, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

AUKEY looks like a blatant ripoff of Anker. I have a multi usb Anker brick and it’s currently charging my iPad Pro, iPhone, Switch and separate Anker battery at the same time. Check them out.

E: I should clarify that I can use several things at the same time without anything losing a charge. Depends on what you’re doing though, I guess.

Maybe this would be better?
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ-Foldable/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Anker&qid=1553384128&s=wireless&sr=1-5

Thank you! Is 24W enough? All I want to do is have my iPad Pro on and not losing battery while charged (I understand it will charge slower than if the screen was off, but I don't want it to actively lose battery while charging) and while also charging my NVidia Shield Portable while that's on as well. Do you think it would be enough? I'm reading that Apple has a 29W charger for the iPad Pro.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m actually not sure because my 4 port brick is 40w and the one you posted says its 39, but I’ve never had anything plugged into mine not charge positively. I don’t know anything about a shield though, maybe it’s a hog.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I’m actually not sure because my 4 port brick is 40w and the one you posted says its 39, but I’ve never had anything plugged into mine not charge positively. I don’t know anything about a shield though, maybe it’s a hog.

Well even if it's a hog (the back of it says 5V 2A which I think is no more than a typical cell phone except for the amps?) my iPad Pro drains battery while being charged if being used. Do they make some sort of 60W brick that only has like 2 ports so it's not splitting them all up?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'll recommend this thing, which costs a bit more and is slightly more than a power brick, but I have one of these and absolutely love it and am probably going to get a second one for whenever I travel anywhere:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D25RSWX/?coliid=IIYK7H6DI9CJ7&colid=1AVFDL67NPY1X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edit: I successfully used it to charge a 2018 iPad Pro 11 while using it at the same time as it was charging my Pixel 2 XL. YMMV.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I think I've owned all of the Anker plugs suggested by The Wirecutter and they are all pretty good. Also possible for the iPad you can't out charge it without doing usb-c->Lightning

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah the downside of the powercube is that I have to use some A-C cords rather than my preferred C-C that I have more of, but it's not a huge deal. THey do make a USB-C version but it's not as good imo, more of a disc.

The powercube is great since it has the 3 outlets for whatever else you need to plug in, and I think it looks pretty good even if its visible.

I ended up ordering a second one for traveling just now, they're just so handy. Unclear if they work on non-110 circuitry with an adapter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I'll recommend this thing, which costs a bit more and is slightly more than a power brick, but I have one of these and absolutely love it and am probably going to get a second one for whenever I travel anywhere:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D25RSWX/?coliid=IIYK7H6DI9CJ7&colid=1AVFDL67NPY1X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Edit: I successfully used it to charge a 2018 iPad Pro 11 while using it at the same time as it was charging my Pixel 2 XL. YMMV.

Thanks! That one says it's 18W max output though and Apple sells a 29W one for the iPad Pro 12.9" ?

This wattage/amperage thing confuses the hell out of me but I just wanted one wall USB brick that can output enough energy to use my iPad Pro without it draining as it's being used. I'm legit brain damaged when it comes to this stuff. No matter how many guides I've read, it never sticks

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thanks! That one says it's 18W max output though and Apple sells a 29W one for the iPad Pro 12.9" ?

This wattage/amperage thing confuses the hell out of me but I just wanted one wall USB brick that can output enough energy to use my iPad Pro without it draining as it's being used. I'm legit brain damaged when it comes to this stuff. No matter how many guides I've read, it never sticks

I suspect it won't charge it as fast as the others, but it definitely was charging while being used.

When I need to charge it in a hurry, I hook it up to one of my generic pixelbook chargers (usually plugged into the aforementioned powercube): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071911MG5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not claiming the powercube i linked is the fastest way to charge it, because I'm sure it's not - it's just a really convenient thing that I really am happy with that seems to work well enough with the ipad and anything else i've thrown at it. The pixelbook I do use the linked charger, though - I don't think it would have enough for that.

Edit: I also haven't tried with a 12.9" Pro - just the 11".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

shortspecialbus posted:

I suspect it won't charge it as fast as the others, but it definitely was charging while being used.

When I need to charge it in a hurry, I hook it up to one of my generic pixelbook chargers (usually plugged into the aforementioned powercube): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071911MG5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not claiming the powercube i linked is the fastest way to charge it, because I'm sure it's not - it's just a really convenient thing that I really am happy with that seems to work well enough with the ipad and anything else i've thrown at it. The pixelbook I do use the linked charger, though - I don't think it would have enough for that.

Edit: I also haven't tried with a 12.9" Pro - just the 11".

Yeah all the ones that seem to do what I want have USB-C. I guess my iPad Pro 12.9" is old (it's the 1st gen) because it uses lightning, not USB-C.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah all the ones that seem to do what I want have USB-C. I guess my iPad Pro 12.9" is old (it's the 1st gen) because it uses lightning, not USB-C.

Do they not make C->Lightning adapters for cheap? I will admit not having looked, the only lightning device I have anymore is Steelseries Nimbus that I barely ever use anymore. And I guess an old iPod Touch but that lives in my car in the glove compartment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MQGJ2A...506863567&psc=1

Anker has a 2 port plug where one is USB C and it’s like 40 something watts. Scroll down in the other Anker link I sent to find it. Just do that.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 24, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Here you go!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MQGJ2A...506863567&psc=1

Anker has a 2 port plug where one is USB C and it’s like 40 something watts. Scroll down in the other Anker link I sent to find it. Just do that.

OK thank you!

Is there any reason 29-40 watts can't run off a normal USB port? Or is that not a real thing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

OK thank you!

Is there any reason 29-40 watts can't run off a normal USB port? Or is that not a real thing?

USB 2.0 is 500mA @ 5V for 2.5 Watts. USB 3 is 900mA @ 5V for 4.5 Watts. Dedicated charging ports can go higher but it's not in spec for a data port:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

USB 2.0 is 500mA @ 5V for 2.5 Watts. USB 3 is 900mA @ 5V for 4.5 Watts. Dedicated charging ports can go higher but it's not in spec for a data port:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

Thank you!

The brick that was supposed to come with this iPad pro is gone; I lost it. Is there a wall brick that will give me two of those ports that will supply enough power for the iPad Pro 12.9" and a 2nd port for something similar?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thank you!

The brick that was supposed to come with this iPad pro is gone; I lost it. Is there a wall brick that will give me two of those ports that will supply enough power for the iPad Pro 12.9" and a 2nd port for something similar?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-PowerIQ-Foldable/dp/B071YMZ4LD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Just bought it. Thanks so much!