Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Walked posted:

So I've been playing an Esper version of Thief of Sanity in legacy for the last week or so and it's been waaaaay overperforming my expectations.

Both in terms of fun per hour spent; and in winrate.

Turns out, generally speaking, most decks run cards that are generally good against their own gameplan. 12post seems to be about the only TRULY bad matchup; there are some rough ones (burn); but everything else feels winnable.

What have your depths matchups been like? I see you have snaps + edict plus one more edict sideboard, and 2 swords, 1 wasteland. So, that's like 6 pieces of interaction, plus 3 stall strixes. Doesn't seem awful by any means, but looking at the list I wouldn't be terrified of the matchup from my side. Basically I have more discard than you have interaction (plus 11 other creatures to sac to an edict), and the only card that thief can hit that does anything is Sylvan Scrying to help you find your own wasteland, which is a 2 of, and Vampire Hexmage has first strike.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

What have your depths matchups been like? I see you have snaps + edict plus one more edict sideboard, and 2 swords, 1 wasteland. So, that's like 6 pieces of interaction, plus 3 stall strixes. Doesn't seem awful by any means, but looking at the list I wouldn't be terrified of the matchup from my side. Basically I have more discard than you have interaction (plus 11 other creatures to sac to an edict), and the only card that thief can hit that does anything is Sylvan Scrying to help you find your own wasteland, which is a 2 of, and Vampire Hexmage has first strike.

I've found depths to feel like a 40% matchup. I've got the tools to deal with it; but they generally have the tools to fight back.

I've moved to 2x Bitterblossom in the side which helps a bit with stalling. The biggest issue in the matchup is my lack of a clock. I've considered options to speed that up; but there's not much I can do for a faster clock that really jives with my gameplan so :shrug:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

The biggest issue in the matchup is my lack of a clock.

i had this issue with the esper cards I own deck I was testing, and that had four monastery mentors in it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i had this issue with the esper cards I own deck I was testing, and that had four monastery mentors in it

Thats okay though because I'm old and it's a dead format. If my rounds go to time every time and we're all having fun it's a win in my book.

Wouldnt say it's a Tier 1 deck; but it's a pile of "good UBx cards" that consistently overperforms what it should be doing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
3 Collective Brutality
1 Damnation
3 Sarkhan, Fireblood
1 Angrath, the Flame-Chained
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Bedevil
1 Abrade
1 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Blood Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Blood Crypt
2 Graven Cairns
3 Temple of Malice
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Mountain
7 Swamp
2 Gemstone Caverns

SB:
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Torpor Orb
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Damping Sphere
1 Collective Brutality
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Shatterstorm
2 Slaughter Games
1 Crumble to Dust

This is my current list for a BR prison deck I brewed up for modern. I've tested it the last couple weeks at the weekly modern night, 7-2 with it overall. My loss last night was to hardened scales, where the only way he was able to win was with Walking Ballista because I didn't find a spyglass in time. My loss the week before that was to spirits, when they just drew an insane nut draw when we were both topdecking. Both of those matches felt winnable though. The deck absolutely destroys both dredge and burn in testing so far. Haven't gotten paired up against phoenix but it should also be pretty good. I'm not sure if the Angrath is worth keeping, I really wanted it as an extra threat that couldn't be quellered but I've only drawn it when I was already ahead and I keep boarding it out against the fast decks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I would try this out at GP Tampa side events on Friday because I love decks that just poo poo on what everyone else is trying to do in this format, but there's no way I'm getting a set of Chalices in time :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I mentioned it in the Discord but Angrath just seems too slow. You have repeatable discard in Lili and repeatable damage in Chandra, and both have a creature removal angle. What creatures are you stealing with Angrath that can't be dealt with by one of your other walkers?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah the chalices are pretty crucial to what the deck is doing. It's been fun though, I forgot how soul crushing prison decks can be for some people.

You're most likely right, Euro. I wasn't sure what else to try in that spot, beyond going for a 3rd Chandra, or just cutting angrath to move the 4th brutality main, or something of similar effect. I do want to find room for something like 2-3 Goblin rabblemaster or Legion Warboss for the sideboard for the decks that cut a lot of their removal against me where earlier pressure is good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
There's got to be a better way to get card selection than sarkhan, and the other two modes are pretty much irrelevant for you.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah the chalices are pretty crucial to what the deck is doing. It's been fun though, I forgot how soul crushing prison decks can be for some people.

You're most likely right, Euro. I wasn't sure what else to try in that spot, beyond going for a 3rd Chandra, or just cutting angrath to move the 4th brutality main, or something of similar effect. I do want to find room for something like 2-3 Goblin rabblemaster or Legion Warboss for the sideboard for the decks that cut a lot of their removal against me where earlier pressure is good.

Pack Rat is a popular option for b/r moon decks.

I'd just go with 4 chandras main, it seems like everything you want from your top end.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

There's got to be a better way to get card selection than sarkhan, and the other two modes are pretty much irrelevant for you.

Pack Rat is a popular option for b/r moon decks.

I'd just go with 4 chandras main, it seems like everything you want from your top end.

I think pack rat is just too slow with the meta now. I also really despise turning on my opponent's removal in game 1. I'm going to cut the Angrath for another Chandra ToD.

Everyone is surprised by the Sarkhan, but he's been kinda nuts really. Card filtering while keeping hand size down for bridge. The second ability is non-text basically, but I've won with his ultimate like... 5 times? I honestly didn't think it would happen often but it's happening a lot, since a lot of time I'm either locking or stalling hard before playing him, or dropping him turn 2 and then dropping bridge and whatever else. Last night I played him on turn 1 with double SSG + Mountain, and it seemed cute at first but he made a massive difference in that game. Him costing 3 goes a long way in this deck and he's really overperformed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How reliably have you been able to remove your own Ensnaring Bridge to allow you to swing with Sarkhan tokens? Or is that too much of a corner case to really worry about tripping over your own Bridge like that?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

How reliably have you been able to remove your own Ensnaring Bridge to allow you to swing with Sarkhan tokens? Or is that too much of a corner case to really worry about tripping over your own Bridge like that?

The first time it happened, I had to draw cards to get over the bridge so I could swing lethal. Other times, I either decided to pitch bridge to Sarhkan because I knew I wouldn't need it, or just didn't have one. The current build of the deck has 2 Bedevil and 1 Abrade though, so I should hypothetically be able to blow up my own bridge without too much issue instead of wasting time drawing up to 5. Most wins aren't through Sarkhan, although he does draw a lot of attention to himself since he gets down and starts ticking up so early.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what discord

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

https://discord.gg/yh99aj

Fair warning, I've been screaming about various Wilderness Reclamation brews for the past couple of days.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

Fair warning, I've been screaming about various Wilderness Reclamation brews for the past couple of days.

:same:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wilderness Reclamation is the most interested I've been in building a deck around a certain card in a long time. The BUG Control deck with Mystical Teachings is what people are playing around with online but I've been in a Reclamation k-hole lately so I got some extra ideas.

This one is a little less toolbox-y than BUG but Path is always good and you get white's good SB cards-
Deck: Bant Teachings

More of a creature value deck. Getting to crack a Clue or two during your turn and then getting your mana back for action on your opponent's turn is delicious-
Deck: Bant Wilderness Midrange

I guess this is a Standard deck? I don't even know anymore-
Deck: RUG Reclamation

I also want to do something with Reclamation and Walking Ballista as an instant-speed way to dump a bunch of generic mana, but it's maybe a little too clunky. Maybe in a UG list with some creature tutoring?

E: Now less of a pain in the rear end to scroll through.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 14, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jfc enough! I'm trying to STOP playing this game, not buy more garbage decks that will never be good!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

garbage decks that will never be good!

That's my name don't wear it out

I mostly wanted an excuse to use my UR Bolt Snap etc. package that I never get to use. I'm also secretly wondering if Growth Spiral is the card I actually enjoy here rather than Reclamation, being able to hold up both Spiral and Remand (or some other action card) on turn 2 feels awesome.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
These wilderness reclamation decks are like a version of blue scapeshift that has the potential to actually become good.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Some guy who was doing pretty well at GPLA with a similar deck had one master of cruelties. Probably too cute but it certainly seems fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

Some guy who was doing pretty well at GPLA with a similar deck had one master of cruelties. Probably too cute but it certainly seems fun.

Yeah we chatted about that in the discord. I think he might have day 2'd but didn't hear anything past that. Definitely seems way too cute to me. He was also running 1 Liliana, the Last Hope as well, I guess to help find master and recur it if it dies. Hazoret has been pretty sweet though, could potentially run a 2nd one of those but it's probably not better than the 3rd Chandra.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So first day of GP Tampa with Jund....I DID NOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME!

I took down the very first qualifier of the day completely undefeated, then entered another because it's the same ticket value as the scheduled events but i wouldn't have to wait an hour and a half. You only play for byes in round 4, both players get the same tickets, so I dropped after 3 just in time to get in some legacy at the end of the night.

I'm sure I'll come in off 2 byes and go 0-3 drop, but who knows.....

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I took down the very first qualifier of the day completely undefeated, then entered another because it's the same ticket value as the scheduled events but i wouldn't have to wait an hour and a half. You only play for byes in round 4, both players get the same tickets, so I dropped after 3 just in time to get in some legacy at the end of the night.

You do Rexy proud. :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Nice! What did you play against?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yesterday was 2 Affinity, mono red prison, Phoenix, scapeshift, burn, and amulet titan.

2-0 so far after my byes, so 4-0 starting round 5 now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Finally a loss. Phoenix got all 4 of their titular card in the yard game 1. Game 2 I mul to 5. Bound to happen I guess, just feels bad losing the streak to variance instead of some good games.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

just feels bad losing the streak to variance instead of some good games.

Modern, my friend, you're playing modern.

Also I went 4-0 playing Dredge last week. I think my record with the deck on modo and IRL is something around 15-8 so far. Deck is good and fun.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Finished the day 6-3 :unsmith:

Oddly, my best match of the day was round 8 against 8-rack; just had a great opponent who I really hit it off with and we had some surprisingly good games. Beat Burn (at 1 life both games), Amulet Titan, Ad Nauseum, and 8-Rack.

My only two losses before the cut were to Phoenix, but really both were caused by mana screw. Each time I had plenty of poo poo to deal with theirs, but got stuck on 2 or 3 lands. The second loss I didn't draw a single land the entire round that wasn't in my opener. Hard to really get a feel for how good or bad that matchup is for me when every time I seem to run into other factors.

My final loss was to Humans. I had lethal on board and just had to fade one draw, he hit Phantasmal Image and copied my Bloodbraid Elf :bang:

So tomorrow I continue day 2. I'm still live to make it into the money, I'm right at the top of my bracket, though top 8 would require winning out and then getting lucky on breakers probably. Not ruling it out after Friday, but not holding my breath.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Finished a slightly disappointing 9-6.

My last round we were safe to draw into the money, but my opponent was a moron and refused.....giving up a guaranteed $250 to try to get into top 64 to win $300. Sure, let's risk $250 to win $50 more, that makes sense dude. I offered to draw again after tying it up after game 2, he refused again.

Sadly he beat me with a topdecked Fatal Push (attacking for lethal, he has 3 mana and cracks a clue, needs exactly Push to survive) so he probably thinks that was a smart decision.

But there's a happy ending: In a miraculous twist I ended up in 109th place when the tournament pays out to 110th.

The difference between my breakers and 111th place? 0.122%

Insane weekend. Really lovely ending, it was my one rear end in a top hat opponent in 25 rounds of magic in 3 days, but otherwise it was much more enjoyable than usual. Walked away with 2 boxes of the newest sets and $250, first time I've cashed in a GP....beat my performance in Orlando, guess the next goal is crack top 64.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Finished a slightly disappointing 9-6.

Insane weekend. Really lovely ending, it was my one rear end in a top hat opponent in 25 rounds of magic in 3 days, but otherwise it was much more enjoyable than usual. Walked away with 2 boxes of the newest sets and $250, first time I've cashed in a GP....beat my performance in Orlando, guess the next goal is crack top 64.

Nice finish and congrats on cashing. Some people get really weird about drawing, even when the result is both people get to go home with a decent amount of cash in their pocket. Weirdest response I’ve received was “well I’m not really a tournament player and I don’t care about prizing. I just want to see how well I do”

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello friends, i've constructed the perfect deck

//Creatures
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Pack Rat
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Seagate Oracle
4 Chittering Rats
4 Eternal Witness
3 Fulminator Mage

//Spells
3 Thoughtseize
3 Fatal Push
2 Assassin's Trophy
3 Ghostly Flicker

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Field of Ruin
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Breeding Pool
2 Watery Grave

//Sideboard
1 Fatal Push
1 Fulminator Mage
2 Assassin's Trophy
1 Creeping Corrosion
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Surgical Extraction
3 Selkie Hedge-Mage
1 Thoughtseize

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 20, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Surely there should be some 3 mana lilianas in this so-called “perfect” deck

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i mean maybe. it's mostly around the e wit + ghostly flicker gimmick. last hope probably works out pretty well tho

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

After going like 4-1, 4-0, I have now lost 6 straight on modo with Dredge. This is what I deserved.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ShaneB posted:

This is what I deserved.

Yes. Yes it is.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does voice of resurgence have a place in a gw token deck? Maybe not as 4, but as a 2? I've tried to load up on instant speed producers, and am thinking it could help bait counters on raise the alarms/advent of the wurms at eot, or help me stick lingering souls/elspeths on my turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ilmucche posted:

Does voice of resurgence have a place in a gw token deck? Maybe not as 4, but as a 2? I've tried to load up on instant speed producers, and am thinking it could help bait counters on raise the alarms/advent of the wurms at eot, or help me stick lingering souls/elspeths on my turn.

If nothing else, it's great against control decks. And it probably has uses against Phoenix decks considering how much instant speed poo poo they toss out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

If nothing else, it's great against control decks. And it probably has uses against Phoenix decks considering how much instant speed poo poo they toss out.

Doesn't Izzet Phoenix just play all of those cards during its turn anyway? You know, because that's how they reanimate Arclight Phoenix. And the Elemental tokens made by Voice of Resurgence don't do you any good up against a Thing in the Ice.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Voice of resurgence ranges from "pretty good" to "literal grizzly bear" depending on the opponent. The problem is that a situational card like that needs to be great against the right opponent, like scavenging ooze.

Also, the types of decks against which voice of resurgence is a grizzly bear are the decks that tend to thrive in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's great in a deck where you're sacrificing your own creatures and going wide, or against control to make counterspells less attractive, but otherwise most opponents will ignore a 2/2 and not block to make it more dangerous.