Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

April Fool's Day at the Brazzers office must be harrowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Please stop sharing my sex tape immediately!

22 quarts of ranch to the face definitely sounds like your sex tape.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

RyokoTK posted:

Lord British explaining his weird bendy rock is quite a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Uvpn9jEdk

There are more videos of Lord British talking about pooping in space than you'd probably expect.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rebel Blob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Uvpn9jEdk

There are more videos of Lord British talking about pooping in space than you'd probably expect.

loving doubt it

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

OSHA: the salty conducting fluid known as blood

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I want to say someone once stuck a 9v battery in an open wound and died. It's more about how effectively the electricity is transmitted and across what parts of the body. The heart is super sensitive to electrical impulses since that's what it uses to run itself.

also there's a specific range of current that's particularly dangerous to your heart: 100-200 mA

this doesn't stop your heart, it disrupts it into ventricular fibrillation which your heart can't get itself back out of, and which will quickly kill you without someone using a defibrillator on you

my fav part of circuits class was the unit on this, because the coursework had you determining the path of current (whether it went through the heart) and calculating resistance losses from the various body parts and stuff (to calc how many amps the heart got) and being asked if a person being shocked in this way or that way would be fatal or not

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and before you ask, above 200mA can also easily kill you, but it's enough current that it completely contracts your heart muscles which protects it from going into fibrillation

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In fact the whole point of a defibrillator is to give you that big dose of juice to completely contract the heart, so that it can then restart normally.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jabor posted:

In fact the whole point of a defibrillator is to give you that big dose of juice to completely contract the heart, so that it can then restart normally.

Have you tried turning it off and on again for the heart eh?

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Yuuuup.....pretty sure the auto defibs we have at work will not zap a body.....its gotta detect a hosed up heart rate to zappo...could be wrong....I was looking at my phone too much in the last refresher course we had

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

jobson groeth posted:

22 quarts of ranch to the face definitely sounds like your sex tape.

I thought it was the exploding suddenly in front of a blonde.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Modern ones will sometimes tell you how to perform CPR, then decide it can give a shock and tell you to step away.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
AED Chat: I used one on a coworker when he had a heart attack in the last week of November. The most modern ones detect heart rhythm, shock if necessary, and then lead you through CPR including giving you a metronome, then a breath count, then a detection cycle, then a metronome, then a breath count, etc.

Things they don't often talk about in CPR/AED class: the unconscious gasping someone going through a heart attack does is loving terrifying sounding, the AED nails the person pretty good, but nothing like the jerking of the movies, the person will often unconsciously fight you as you are trying to save their loving life, and the person will spit into your mouth. They often feel real bad about these things if you save their life, so use it to gently caress with them, because what are they gonna do, they owe you a life-debt.

Longest 14 minutes of my life.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dannywilson posted:

AED Chat: I used one on a coworker when he had a heart attack in the last week of November. The most modern ones detect heart rhythm, shock if necessary, and then lead you through CPR including giving you a metronome, then a breath count, then a detection cycle, then a metronome, then a breath count, etc.

Things they don't often talk about in CPR/AED class: the unconscious gasping someone going through a heart attack does is loving terrifying sounding, the AED nails the person pretty good, but nothing like the jerking of the movies, the person will often unconsciously fight you as you are trying to save their loving life, and the person will spit into your mouth. They often feel real bad about these things if you save their life, so use it to gently caress with them, because what are they gonna do, they owe you a life-debt.

The fireman that gave our last class talked about the mechanical ones they use. Basically some robot clamp that they put on people that makes them go all ragdoll while it does its 95% success rate magic. I haven't had to do CPR on a person yet and hope I never do but I work in IT with a bunch of fats so I probably will...I'm still concerned about the whole breaking someones sternum thing just because they are unconscious rule...I mean they say just do CPR if someone is unresponsive but I worry because some guy a few years back just fell down and passed out and it had nothing to do with his heart....If his close coworkers weren't there I would have started CPR and hosed his poo poo up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PSA: check for breathing and pulse before you take a crack at their ribs :v:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

PSA: check for breathing and pulse before you take a crack at their ribs :v:

They told us that NOT to do that as we are just a bunch schmucks that ain't doctors....unresponsive after smacking them a few times? CPR NOW!!!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dannywilson posted:

AED Chat: I used one on a coworker when he had a heart attack in the last week of November.

Pretty loving awesome thing to do.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/huP67WM.mp4

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:stare:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Say what now?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

gently caress me. I'm really hoping that's just steamy water and not hot oil.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

This except it's the one that keeps growing larger

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Reign Of Pain posted:

The fireman that gave our last class talked about the mechanical ones they use. Basically some robot clamp that they put on people that makes them go all ragdoll while it does its 95% success rate magic. I haven't had to do CPR on a person yet and hope I never do but I work in IT with a bunch of fats so I probably will...I'm still concerned about the whole breaking someones sternum thing just because they are unconscious rule...I mean they say just do CPR if someone is unresponsive but I worry because some guy a few years back just fell down and passed out and it had nothing to do with his heart....If his close coworkers weren't there I would have started CPR and hosed his poo poo up.

You probably won't break anything. Unless they're really young (smaller bones) or really old (brittle bones), or have some kind of bone condition, CPR should only cause bruising at worst. I mean you still might crack a rib or something, but the idea that if you don't break something then you're not doing it hard enough is a myth.

Personally I would rather have someone injure me doing CPR when I don't actually need it, than have them hesitate and fret about in a case when I actually do need it.

I'm not sure who led your course, but current first aid training in BC is that you check for responsiveness, then breathing, and then CPR. No checking for pulse, because if they're not breathing then they won't have one for long anyway.

Fun fact about AEDs: as a level 2 first aid attendant I am qualified to use one on someone, but I'm not qualified to stop using it. Once it's applied it has to stay on until the ambulance arrives and the paramedics shut it off, even if the person sits up and starts talking.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Serephina posted:

gently caress me. I'm really hoping that's just steamy water and not hot oil.

There's multiple videos of people doing that

hate to burst your bubble but usually it something with a low boiling point that will separate and sit above the actual oil, it looks like the oil is boiling but you can stick your hand in it without immediate burns

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

EKDS5k posted:

Fun fact about AEDs: as a level 2 first aid attendant I am qualified to use one on someone, but I'm not qualified to stop using it. Once it's applied it has to stay on until the ambulance arrives and the paramedics shut it off, even if the person sits up and starts talking.

:wtf:

Sorry sir, but the machine says I gotta do this zap :supaburn:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Dannywilson posted:

a friend of mine was tying rebar and he hosed up when he went to re-secure his harness. he fell three stories and smashed into the ground nearly at my feet. the noise of his body hitting the ground and the sound of him involuntarily gasping when his brain decided his lungs needed to start working again was terrible. it haunted me for a long time afterwards.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3O9vNi-dkA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reign Of Pain posted:

:wtf:

Sorry sir, but the machine says I gotta do this zap :supaburn:

It'll probably be fine in practice. AEDs detect heart arrhythmia and won't shock if you have a normal heartbeat (or no heartbeat at all, as a defibrillator won't just restart a heart by itself), so a conscious person with a normal heartbeat is unlikely to be shocked again unless the machine badly malfunctions.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

finally some asmr that's not just creepy mouth/throat/duodenum sounds

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

That sounds so nice. Having lost a friend who died going through ice though I would never try that myself.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Reminds me a lot of a sound you sometimes hear from continuous welded rail when a train is approaching

Edit: you can briefly hear it at about 0:13 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7v0RmKZww8

And there's a brief, somewhat similar sound at 1:27-1:28 in this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mngxAJxra58&t=45s

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 21, 2019

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Waaay back in the day, I had this friend who's grandmother had long ago suffered a stroke. She still had normal motor skills, but no feeling whatsoever in her left arm. One day we were hanging out, and she boiled us some hotdogs for lunch. I remember distinctly her simply reaching into the boiling water and lifting out the hotdogs without hesitation or showing off. I wasn't really blown away because I knew this woman was an alien of some kind and I was pretty much terrified of her ever since the time she wielded a baseball bat and trapped me in a closet for a half hour until my friend distracted her.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

oh dope posted:

I remember distinctly her simply reaching into the boiling water and lifting out the hotdogs without hesitation or showing off..

...and I was pretty much terrified of her ever since the time she wielded a baseball bat and trapped me in a closet for a half hour until my friend distracted her.

I feel like you explained the wrong part of the story

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/RRAc2EZ.mp4

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oh dope posted:

Waaay back in the day, I had this friend who's grandmother had long ago suffered a stroke. She still had normal motor skills, but no feeling whatsoever in her left arm. One day we were hanging out, and she boiled us some hotdogs for lunch. I remember distinctly her simply reaching into the boiling water and lifting out the hotdogs without hesitation or showing off. I wasn't really blown away because I knew this woman was an alien of some kind and I was pretty much terrified of her ever since the time she wielded a baseball bat and trapped me in a closet for a half hour until my friend distracted her.

This post was a ride

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

oh dope posted:

There's a lot to unpack in this story.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EKDS5k posted:

I'm not sure who led your course, but current first aid training in BC is that you check for responsiveness, then breathing, and then CPR. No checking for pulse, because if they're not breathing then they won't have one for long anyway.

Yeah, I was told that you don't check for a pulse any more because people who aren't medical professionals end up wasting too much time trying to decide whether there is no pulse or whether they just aren't checking the right spot. Breathing is a lot easier to detect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This just seems incredibly inefficient.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This just seems incredibly inefficient.

Looks like something the father in Gremlins would have invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014