Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One part of the film I found odd was with Fury and him losing his eye. He just didn't seem to react as strongly as I'd expect. Maybe because a cat/alien did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fried Watermelon posted:

One part of the film I found odd was with Fury and him losing his eye. He just didn't seem to react as strongly as I'd expect. Maybe because a cat/alien did it?

He lost it due to infection, or maybe an alien disease, over an extended period of time. What was he going to do, vow revenge on staphylococcus?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Finally watched this. Decidedly mediocre. I wanted to see it in a theatre because I thought that it would kick some serious rear end, given its position in the MCU. Marvel has, however, never known what to do with this character, other than to keep churning out failed version after failed version just to keep the trademark registered, and this film reflects that. The story is extremely flimsy and the action sequences entirely without consequence. It's just a "here's what we want you to know before we shoehorn this deus ex machina into Endgame to make it work".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Meatgrinder posted:

Finally watched this. Decidedly mediocre. I wanted to see it in a theatre because I thought that it would kick some serious rear end, given its position in the MCU. Marvel has, however, never known what to do with this character, other than to keep churning out failed version after failed version just to keep the trademark registered, and this film reflects that. The story is extremely flimsy and the action sequences entirely without consequence. It's just a "here's what we want you to know before we shoehorn this deus ex machina into Endgame to make it work".

I don't think Captain Marvel is going to solve Endgame's situation and will just be another single movie character in the film, not the entire plot. She will probably have a role similar to Thor in which they obliterate entire armies of space/robot/monster things while Captain America punches individual drone warriors like that is having a meaningful effect.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
More likely she'll get trounced right away like what happened with Hulk to indicate that there's no Trump card they can pull on Thanos.

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012
Any thoughts behind the reports of ghost screenings of Captain Marvel?

Apparently, and I have heard this before, filmmakers are buying seats in the theaters to make a film appear as being sold out or doing better at the box office. A lot depends on the an important variable of the actual box office agreement between distributor and movie chain. Many of the big budget films get anywhere from 65% to over 90% of the first few weekend box offices. Therefore, any loss gets offset because you are not really losing money since your getting it right back if they are buying the seats.

I do find the idea plausible due to the blatant news reporting that Captain Marvel is doing well at the box office, when the numbers (the hard data) shows it’s really a failure. So it would not surprise me this was happening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

I don't think Captain Marvel is going to solve Endgame's situation and will just be another single movie character in the film, not the entire plot. She will probably have a role similar to Thor in which they obliterate entire armies of space/robot/monster things while Captain America punches individual drone warriors like that is having a meaningful effect.

More mundanely, she's the first person besides Thanos and Vision we've seen who can hold an Infinity Stone in her hands with no ill effect. That may come into play, since power-wise she seems to be a living Infinity Stone.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bulldog posted:

Apparently, and I have heard this before, filmmakers are buying seats in the theaters to make a film appear as being sold out or doing better at the box office. A lot depends on the an important variable of the actual box office agreement between distributor and movie chain. Many of the big budget films get anywhere from 65% to over 90% of the first few weekend box offices. Therefore, any loss gets offset because you are not really losing money since your getting it right back if they are buying the seats.

I do find the idea plausible due to the blatant news reporting that Captain Marvel is doing well at the box office, when the numbers (the hard data) shows it’s really a failure. So it would not surprise me this was happening.

Mind sharing where to find this hard data?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Oh for sure. This MCU movie isn't making a ton of money for some reason. Absolutely. That makes sense.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bulldog posted:

I would also be very interested in hearing about this hard data your speak of, because I don't believe it exists.

Ghost screenings sounds like the flawed logic of people desperately trying to figure out why their dozen people boycott didn't work at all.

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012
Hard data is the actual numbers from week to week. CM opened with 153 mil. The second weekend it fell 56% to 69 mil. A standard matrix for forecasting film approval amongst audiences is a film drop off of 40% or less from the opening to the 2nd weekend is consider wide approval for the film. A film closer to 60% or worse is consider to have panned by audiences.

CP dropped 56% with no real competition in its 2nd weekend. Therefore it likely was panned by audiences.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yeah, nobody's going to debate you other than to call you stupid.

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, nobody's going to debate you other than to call you stupid.

First what debate? I asked opinions about an item mentioned above.

Second, I gave hard data which you can verify online on multiple sites. The movie wasn’t a hit no matter how hard agenda based news outlets may push.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome

Bulldog posted:

Second, I gave hard data which you can verify online on multiple sites. The movie wasn’t a hit no matter how hard agenda based news outlets may push.

It's not a failure just because there's a girl in the movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bulldog posted:

The movie wasn’t a hit no matter how hard agenda based news outlets may push. as long as you focus on literally one statistic that is not incredibly useful on its own

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bulldog posted:

CP dropped 56% with no real competition in its 2nd weekend. Therefore it likely was panned by audiences.

:ohdear:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bulldog posted:

Hard data is the actual numbers from week to week. CM opened with 153 mil. The second weekend it fell 56% to 69 mil. A standard matrix for forecasting film approval amongst audiences is a film drop off of 40% or less from the opening to the 2nd weekend is consider wide approval for the film. A film closer to 60% or worse is consider to have panned by audiences.

if you took like, 5 seconds to verify this claim by, say, comparing Captain Marvel to the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you'd find that not only is Captain Marvel pretty average among them but that some of the worst drops were actually by movies considered fairly successful. For example, Spider-Man Homecoming, a movie that is getting a sequel in a few months, dropped 62% from its opening weekend. Captain Marvel is also more successful than all three Captain America movies by this metric, and is roughly on par with (i.e. less than two tenths of a point away from) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Infinity War. In fact, Box Office Mojo only lists movies that dropped 59.5% or more for their second weekend on their "Biggest Drops" list, which for MCU movies includes just Homecoming, Ant-Man and the Wasp, both Captain America: The First Avenger and Civil War, and The Incredible Hulk.

In the broader scheme of things, the list of movies with a >59.5% drop (which is, to remind you, almost four points more than Captain Marvel) includes Furious 7, The Hunger Games, multiple Harry Potter movies, Deadpool 2 and the list goes on. poo poo, if you look at the 100 highest grossing films of all time, the number of movies that meets that ridiculous 40% line in the last few decades is roughly 30, which means that over two-thirds of the highest grossing movies of all time would not have "wide approval" which is dumb on its face. this whole point is remarkably stupid and is probably the brainchild of people who want to prove some sort of point without having to think at all

you are either gullible or deliberately obtuse, i guess you get to decide which is worse.

edit: just because harping on how dumb this is is pretty fun, I present:

A List of Movies That Were "Panned by Audiences"
Captain Marvel
The Incredibles 2
Tangled
X-Men: First Class
Logan
Deadpool
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Halloween (2018)
Godzilla (2014)
The Muppets
Twilight

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 21, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bulldog posted:

I love how the media is stating Captain Marvel is soaring still after the second weekend. It fell 55% from opening weekend

The movie matrix based on box office receipts states a fall of 40% or less, means the film was a major hit.
A fall of 60% means the movie was failure. Factoring in that Captain Marvel had no competition in weekend 2 and a fall of 55% means the movie is a failure.

Chalk up another media snow job.

lol oh to live in the world where making $300M in two weeks with a production budget of $150M is considered a failed project

Bulldog
Oct 14, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

lol oh to live in the world where making $300M in two weeks with a production budget of $150M is considered a failed project

Estimates after distribution and advertising has the film cost roughly 3 times that if not more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bulldog posted:

Estimates after distribution and advertising has the film cost roughly 3 times that if not more.

you've failed to respond at all to the point you are selectively choosing data for this film that is universal to MCU films

Which, I get why, but still

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bulldog posted:

Everybody's already pointed out that you're using a metric that makes all Marvel movies failures.

I'm going to listen to Darth Brooks and just point out that you're dumb.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bulldog posted:

Just drop it mate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm the Disney employee tasked with faking hundreds of thousands of credit card transactions in an effort to lose money for no clear reason.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm the Disney employee tasked with faking hundreds of thousands of credit card transactions in an effort to lose money for no clear reason.

no you see Disney prioritizes widespread psyops to make people think women are ok instead of prioritizing making money because...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Bulldog posted:

Even if it cost 450 million to make and market, it's already made over 796.9 million dollars.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Bulldog posted:

you should just tell us how you really feel lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bulldog's paradox, does one reveal they are sincere and prove one an idiot, or that one is trolling and still reveal one an idiot

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

JBP posted:

Well, yeah, agreed. What I meant by her being a deus ex machina is that she has some sort of trick that they need to overcome the odds, which they didn't have before and now, as if out of nowhere, suddenly they do. She's not going to come in and One Punch Man to victory. There will be an elaborate plan in which she performs a key role, like being able to hold infinity stones, which will allow them to be victorious as a team. Rogers will somehow sacrifice himself, Thor will hold off Thanos in combat, Danvers will magic everything right again and Stark will be snarky about the whole deal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Meatgrinder posted:

Well, yeah, agreed. What I meant by her being a deus ex machina is that she has some sort of trick that they need to overcome the odds, which they didn't have before and now, as if out of nowhere, suddenly they do. She's not going to come in and One Punch Man to victory. There will be an elaborate plan in which she performs a key role, like being able to hold infinity stones, which will allow them to be victorious as a team. Rogers will somehow sacrifice himself, Thor will hold off Thanos in combat, Danvers will magic everything right again and Stark will be snarky about the whole deal.

They will just re-do the thing Iron Man and the Guardians did, only this time it will work because Starlord isn't there to gently caress things up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CitizenKeen posted:

Everybody's already pointed out that you're using a metric that makes all Marvel movies failures.

I'm going to listen to Darth Brooks and just point out that you're dumb.

Arguing that Marvel movies secretly aren't profitable is such a bizarre tack to take. Like, 99.99999% of the people who dislike the MCU still take it as a given that they are making immense profits.

Being profitable doesn't make it good and not being profitable doesn't make it bad, it's completely irrelevant to a film's merits either way. I don't like Titanic but uh I don't have an elaborate conspiracy theory about how it didn't REALLY make James Cameron mountains of cash lmao

So basically

sean10mm posted:

Show us on the doll where the woman didn't touch you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Box office is only fun when you point out how delusional people get over it.

Megahit Doctor Strange made an astonishing 680 million, while mega flop Justice League made a paltry 660 million.

They sold the same number of tickets.

"But Justice League cost more to make!" and it's like who gives a poo poo? They sold the exact same number of tickets. They're equally popular movies. "Justice league has five superheroes, while Dr. Strange only has like three or four!" And it's like, again, who gives a poo poo? Superheroes are just characters, and these films have the same number of characters. They sold the exact same number of tickets. They're equally popular movies.

It's just fun to puzzle out the logistics in this case.

Obviously Disney cant just buy tens of millions of dollars in tickets with cash, sending agents to the individual theatres, because that's just too inefficient. But buying out thousands of screenings from a single account is going to look suspicious - especially when no-one ever actually shows up. Their only hope is to commit massive amounts of identity theft.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bulldog posted:

You're point is contradictory/redundant: if by the "hard numbers" Captain Marvel is a failure, than the "ghost screenings" aren't having an impact anyway.

The existence of "ghost screenings" in this scenario is basically irrelevant to your other point. Whether they using them or not doesn't really factor into the other point about the percentage dropoffs, since the ghost screenings would already be factored into those numbers. There's not a second set of "clean" numbers that prove a discrepancy and either lend credence to the ghost screening theory or else prove that CM is losing numbers too fast.

My suspicion is you brought these up just to really half rear end segue back into the box office argument which didn't really gain traction earlier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wait a second

Disney would need a small group that could conceivably steal the identities of millions of people to falsely stuff theatres

in the movie, skrulls are revealed to be good guys despite always being bad guys

the conclusion is obvious

skrulls are real, disney is using them to false flag their movies, and this movie is deliberate pro-skrull propaganda to weaken our resistance when they invade

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

We are gonna get to the bottom of this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bulldog's agenda is so blatant. :lol:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

sean10mm posted:

Being profitable doesn't make it good and not being profitable doesn't make it bad, it's completely irrelevant to a film's merits either way.

I keep saying this when I'm trying to convince people that Doom e: Doom starring Rock the Dwayne Johnson (did I do it right?) is actually a good film and they just laugh at me :sigh:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

I keep saying this when I'm trying to convince people that Doom is actually a good film and they just laugh at me :sigh:

You mean Doom starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson*

*- I believe Doom should always be referred to as Doom starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

:hai:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Uh, excuse me, but it’s Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, starring Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Back when I was in college I roomed with three philosophy majors who would only watch foreign art films and so once I rented doom with some friends and we watched it in the living room with the volume really loud and kept referring to it as Doom Starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson

Like "hey guys, we rented Doom Starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson"

"Do you want to watch Doom Starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson"