Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I still find it incredible that calling for a second referendum would be a travesty of democracy but voting three times for the same thing against 400 year old parliamentary rules is the only way lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
May invited TIG not because they're legitimate, but because she lost the only vote that can save her career by 150 votes, and she needs literally everyone who isn't an insane hard Brexiteer to vote for her deal.

It's not a legitimacy thing it's a desperation thing. Soubry and Wollaston have done everything short of call her a oval office in public, I'm sure she's not happy about putting up with them either, but their votes could make a difference so they get to be in the tent.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

pathetic little tramp posted:

Life crime!

My favourite British-ism
The Criiiiime Iiiiiiis Liiiiiife.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Dark Judge Brexit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if no one votes for mays deal, I can see the country blaming her for a no deal brexit, however if she gets the extension and it goes down I can see it tarnishing everyone

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I've been suprised by how much the public are willing to blame her and not the EU, given the amount of effort the government has put in to blaming the EU.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tarbrush posted:

I've been suprised by how much the public are willing to blame her and not the EU, given the amount of effort the government has put in to blaming the EU.

i imagine all the postponements and the obviousness of her loss of control of the process and party as well as her obstinate refusal to countenance any alternatives seeps down even to the british public

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I think it was only 7% in the last poll who blamed the EU in a rare example of the British public not being wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1108716293908320258

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
She's caved to the ERG every time. Better hope those "moderate" conservatives have a spine

In unrelated news, they don't and we're utterly hosed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she probably doesn't care because the press are already blaming corbyn for it

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jose posted:

she probably doesn't care because the press are already blaming corbyn for it

It's an amazing rationale that the press are saying "Corbyn can meet with Hamas, a terrorist organization but not Chuka???" and then rehashing the wreath laying thing for five paragraphs, leaving the implication that the TIG are terrorists and Corbyn is a hypocrite for not meeting with them lol

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is she still asking for a June 30th extension?

And hasn't Marcon said that he's going to veto regardless?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yes and yes.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

I still find it incredible that calling for a second referendum would be a travesty of democracy but voting three times for the same thing against 400 year old parliamentary rules is the only way lmao

Why does she not want a second referendum? If it passes for remain, that would give them the cover to get out of this whole mess. Does TM actually want to do Brexit?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

lol what extension

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Why does she not want a second referendum? If it passes for remain, that would give them the cover to get out of this whole mess. Does TM actually want to do Brexit?

Of course she does. Have you not been paying attention this past few centuries of the Brexit process? What could possibly have given you the idea she wanted to get out of this mess?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Raccooon posted:

On top of actually wanting it, there's the whole problem of a second referendum meaning you can just do-over a democratic vote that "doesn't go your way" until you get the results you want, and how that would mean the first referendum was meaningless and not democracy working. Of course, then there's the whole argument about the validity of that first referendum in the first place with the lies etc. so it's all a giant clusterfuck.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

univbee posted:

On top of actually wanting it, there's the whole problem of a second referendum meaning you can just do-over a democratic vote that "doesn't go your way" until you get the results you want, and how that would mean the first referendum was meaningless and not democracy working. Of course, then there's the whole argument about the validity of that first referendum in the first place with the lies etc. so it's all a giant clusterfuck.

Yes, May is very much against holding votes again and again until she gets the result she wants.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yes, May is very much against holding votes again and again until she gets the result she wants.

Correct, emphasis on that last part.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Raccooon posted:

She wants to do her Brexit, and if she doesn't get her way, she wants to set the whole country on fire out of spite.

That's it. That's all it is.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Leavers will literally murder MP's while Remainers will just cry quietly at work.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BioMe posted:

lol what extension

long Brexit and long egg with a side of long pig :rubshands:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Just blows my mind that a UK politician wants the destruction of the UK to be their legacy

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

univbee posted:

Wouldn't a second referendum be more like given that their is more information about how this is going to go do you still want to do it? Not just a redo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Raccooon posted:

Just blows my mind that a UK politician wants the destruction of the UK to be their legacy

Her legacy is hosed regardless so why not

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Raccooon posted:

Wouldn't a second referendum be more like given that their is more information about how this is going to go do you still want to do it? Not just a redo.

Yes, but lol if you think the chuds will see it that way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Raccooon posted:

yes i like nicola sturgeon too

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
A second referendum would split the conversative party. She values the Conservative party above Great Britain and everyone in it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

She has no friends outside of the party

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
cant wait for troubles 2 electric boogaloo to start!!!!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Jose posted:

She has no friends outside of the party

She has friends inside the party?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

BioMe posted:

She has friends inside the party?

I assume her husband is a Conservative? Other than that, no.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

haha I’m remembering an article that said May is popular with her local party because she always attends their events. imagine having a social life that’s just Tory party functions in loving Maidenhead lmao

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tarbrush posted:

I assume her husband is a Conservative? Other than that, no.

well he’s an arms dealer so probably

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol my wife's old friend (who's British but currently lives in Canada) posted this on Facebook

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

marktheando posted:

haha I’m remembering an article that said May is popular with her local party because she always attends their events. imagine having a social life that’s just Tory party functions in loving Maidenhead lmao

Siri what is hell?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

lol my wife's old friend (who's British but currently lives in Canada) posted this on Facebook

we demand to be taken seriously

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Say what you will about JRM, but that's a dope hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

She wants to do her Brexit, and if she doesn't get her way, she wants to set the whole country on fire out of spite.

That's it. That's all it is.

But her Brexit isn't Brexit. Her deal is just an extension period where Britain is still kinda in the EU so they can figure out what to do later