Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hey those hot claws saved Hanukkah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why're karma and mirage in bad tattoos.

also its almost a new mutants reunion!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

why're karma and mirage in bad tattoos.

also its almost a new mutants reunion!
they were infected by the transmode virus

why were the new mutants on the enemies list?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ever since professor x came back (sort of?!) in Fantomex's body like a year ago... has he been seen anywhere?

Also lol at drawing Wolverine like a teen heart throb in the newest uncanny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ever since professor x came back (sort of?!) in Fantomex's body like a year ago... has he been seen anywhere?

Also lol at drawing Wolverine like a teen heart throb in the newest uncanny.

The original team (nix Scott) met up with him, helped him out with some business, and then had their memories wiped. I think that might have been an interstitial story in Astonishing, though, so maybe it doesn't count?

"X" was a lame character though, so I sort of hope he gets retconned into not really being Xavier. I've really had it up to here with super edgy, "Charles is a dark tortured monster and master manipulator" takes on the character. I know he's less instantly zeitgeisty, but I kind of want the classic "overbearing father figure who is nevertheless good at heart" Xavier back to stay. I feel like he's done his penance for his low points, and had them sufficiently examined, in stories like the ones in the first few years of X-Men Legacy, where Emma Frost puts him through psychic purgatory for the Vulcan stuff.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Android Blues posted:

The original team (nix Scott) met up with him, helped him out with some business, and then had their memories wiped. I think that might have been an interstitial story in Astonishing, though, so maybe it doesn't count?

"X" was a lame character though, so I sort of hope he gets retconned into not really being Xavier. I've really had it up to here with super edgy, "Charles is a dark tortured monster and master manipulator" takes on the character. I know he's less instantly zeitgeisty, but I kind of want the classic "overbearing father figure who is nevertheless good at heart" Xavier back to stay. I feel like he's done his penance for his low points, and had them sufficiently examined, in stories like the ones in the first few years of X-Men Legacy, where Emma Frost puts him through psychic purgatory for the Vulcan stuff.

Agreed. Or just write X more as classic Xavier from this point forward.

With Xavier back and Scott back at some point they'll meet and hopefully someone who can write well is at the helm when that happens.

Also when Jean gets out of the Age of X-Man stuff and back into normal reality.

The reunions with Scott might be interesting!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I do understand why a lot of writers don't want him around full time but I'm perfectly happy with him basically off doing adventures with Magneto or whatever and only popping in every so often to say "hey you are doing a good job, okay gotta go!" And there's so many characters now and generally so many teams and books that there's a spot for him somewhere to be out of the way for whatever writer-self-insert-as-Cyclops coolbro story that needs to be told that can't be bothered by having Dad around.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm enjoying having Cyclops back. Uncanny is just ok other than that though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a good lowdown on what Age of X-Man is and how it came to be?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor decision by everyone basically

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a good lowdown on what Age of X-Man is and how it came to be?

As somebody who read like the last 3 pages of UXM 10, Nate Grey merged (?) with Legion and tried to create a utopia, and when that failed for whatever reason, he ragequit the 616 and took all the X-Men present with him to a parallel world where no love is allowed and this is enforced by horny cops.

I haven't had the chance to sit down with any of the miniseries yet but it seems like people are enjoying it a lot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rochallor posted:

As somebody who read like the last 3 pages of UXM 10, Nate Grey merged (?) with Legion and tried to create a utopia, and when that failed for whatever reason, he ragequit the 616 and took all the X-Men present with him to a parallel world where no love is allowed and this is enforced by horny cops.

I haven't had the chance to sit down with any of the miniseries yet but it seems like people are enjoying it a lot.

drat I have been missing out on a lot, last I heard from Legion was X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier and Nate Grey showed up in Fearless Defenders for a bit iirc, so it's a surprise that both are relevant again

So I guess X-Man is an actual member of the X-Men now?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can't believe ed brisson has japed me like this

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Molly Hayes and Honey Badger headlining a student book. Printing money.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Beerdeer posted:

Im throwing money at my screen right now trying to make this happen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Beerdeer posted:

Yea I really want a book that focuses on young characters right now. West Coast kinda scratches that it, but I'd rather see Kate and America having to heard a bunch of teenagers.

That was a best issue of Uncanny in a while. God drat they're putting Maddrox through the wringer lately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I really want a book that focuses on young characters right now. West Coast kinda scratches that it, but I'd rather see Kate and America having to heard a bunch of teenagers.

Also WCA is going away and that makes me sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

Also WCA is going away and that makes me sad.

Yea, which is a bummer because Gwenpool won't have a home again. Honestly, a new Young Avengers series is what I want. Or a new Wolverine and the X-men.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

twistedmentat posted:

Spider-man and the X-men.

But I'd take Wolvie too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dreqqus posted:

But I'd take Wolvie too.

Unless they get Kalan back, then they could never do it.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Was Winter's End just a off issue to hand wave away how lovely Bobby has been treated the last few years? And yet another event that took place before disassembled.

Age of X-Man can't end soon enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alaois posted:

what drives you to post in so many forums about so many topics when you know absolutely nothing

i'm like a forums Michio Kaku, also lots of weed

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Was Winter's End just a off issue to hand wave away how lovely Bobby has been treated the last few years? And yet another event that took place before disassembled.
A lot of Sina Grace's Iceman stories have been like this, pretty much just constantly diving into the deep end of Bobby's issues and addressing all of the longterm and shorterm anxieties that have made him the person that he is. I thought this was a nice cap-off of all the work Grace has been doing on this character; he knows Bobby inside-out at this point so of course he was gonna address the Teen Jean stuff and the Teen Bobby stuff before his time was up.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

BrianWilly posted:

A lot of Sina Grace's Iceman stories have been like this, pretty much just constantly diving into the deep end of Bobby's issues and addressing all of the longterm and shorterm anxieties that have made him the person that he is. I thought this was a nice cap-off of all the work Grace has been doing on this character; he knows Bobby inside-out at this point so of course he was gonna address the Teen Jean stuff and the Teen Bobby stuff before his time was up.

Honestly I did feel like this was a very fair way to have Bobby deal with everything. I'm glad he had Jean have it because WTF.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Guys, I'm playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes as part of an article I'm writing about children's software and they've got Cyclops in it with the power to destroy things by heating them up with his optic blasts.

I am so nettled by this on Jay Edidin's behalf.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Guys, I'm playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes as part of an article I'm writing about children's software and they've got Cyclops in it with the power to destroy things by heating them up with his optic blasts.

LEGO Cyclops is from an alternate universe where his beams create heat. There you go.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Dead Man Logan has been decent so far, but I can't believe how easily Miss Sinister was taken down by Glob and Hawkeye. At least Henderson put a bit of thought into her costume (though she still badly needs a full redesign) but I just can't believe Forge tossing Clint a power dampening collar before he went after her was enough to cover her off-panel capture. She was also undermined repeatedly in the issues preceding this by Sin and Crossbones, to which she just grumbled a bit, and it just annoys me because the only difference between her and Sinister is that she's a woman. Even allowing that she's much less experienced that Nathaniel Essex, she should still be a threat and respected at least, or else why use her?
Emma Frost defeating her during X-Men Blue is fine by me, because Emma Frost is goddamn queen, but Glob and Hawkeye strains credibility for me. I suppose she could have a role to play in the book still, requiring her to be captured rather than escape, but at least have Jubilee or Forge properly involved if that's the case.

Winter's End was great, X-23 finished off a good arc (Olortegui is killing it on art duties after Cabal) and AoX-M continues to be a strong event overall (particularly Prisoner X) if a little bland due to the setting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

If he shoots something for long enough, eventually the friction from the blast causes the object to heat up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Additionally if he "scrapes" the beam over a surface it should cause a ton of friction immediately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Ah, the game was written by Gail Simone.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wanderer posted:

It's the Cyclops from X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I really hope Larroca gets moved to a different project soon because I don't like the art he's doing for Uncanny X-Men at all.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's kind of a bummer that so many of the Age of X-Man titles seem to be getting into the, "this is all a false reality, I remember the real timeline!" stuff so quickly and with so many characters. I get the utility of that as a plot point, but I feel like the titles are better when they focus on telling stories in this strange alternate universe vs. the "wake up!" stuff.

That said, I'm still enjoying all of them with the exception of Apocalypse and the X-Tracts, which I thought was the only weak one in the bunch. Like, Apocalypse's movement comes off much more interesting in the other books where it's an antagonistic/complicating force.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The mistakes Uncanny is making are the mistakes it's been making ever since the relaunch, so this isn't new ground, but gently caress did I hate Chamber giving Cyclops grief for "promising and not delivering" to save mutants. He saved the mutants like five separate times before he ate it. A good example of Cyclops doing stupid poo poo to save mutants would be beating up the Marauders for no reason. Because of course they're still prowling the New York City sewers like it's 1985.

I really hate this book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was also literally mid saving them when he died.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I appreciate the report. I almost bought Uncanny because it has a awesome cover, and a great looking cast.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Uncanny has also gone for the "pile of mutant corpses" well for S T A K E S, so reset the clock from Extraordinary X-Men. It then barely covered this "revelation" before just dumping the Morlocks out of sight, with Chamber half-arsedly joining the team having dumped Shogo with... Callisto.

It kinda feels like those weird transitional moments when writers took over for short fill-in runs in the late 90s and early 2000s, but that's harsh on those. They didn't make a big deal out of mutant killings/suicide that then received no follow-up or had any real consequence.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Metalshark posted:

Uncanny has also gone for the "pile of mutant corpses" well for S T A K E S, so reset the clock from Extraordinary X-Men. It then barely covered this "revelation" before just dumping the Morlocks out of sight, with Chamber half-arsedly joining the team having dumped Shogo with... Callisto.

It kinda feels like those weird transitional moments when writers took over for short fill-in runs in the late 90s and early 2000s, but that's harsh on those. They didn't make a big deal out of mutant killings/suicide that then received no follow-up or had any real consequence.

I love how weak the mutant vaccine plot is, too. Like, no-one even for a moment believes that this is No More Mutants part 2, but the characters are doggedly sticking to kayfabe and acting like the vaccine plot is a done deal and there will be no more mutants ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay, Hickman is coming to save the X-Men right? Right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm struck by how the only PoC on the Uncanny team have been turned into de-humanized cyber-monsters. And like-- I don't think he's doing this out of explicitly racist motives, I think it's just a testament to how half-assed and poorly-conceived this run is that this decision slid by without editorial going like, uh, maybe not.

I'm usually not a stickler about typos and stuff but even just dialogue bubbles like "We don't need their cops and we don't their cops and we don't need you pretending to be ours" speak to a book that nobody involved really seems to believe in or take pride in. That would be awful, stilted dialogue even if it was lettered correctly!