Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why is Nuclear Throne so much better than Enter the Gungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How about: it's OK for some games to have an easy mode, but if a game doesn't have an easy mode it's not trying to hurt your feelings. You gimp. You utter shitstain

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Over There posted:

'cause it's all killer no filler.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Over There posted:

I've only played a small amount of Nuclear Throne but I think it's because of how much smaller each level is. It's a lot faster, so losing a run doesn't feel like you've wasted a half hour.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Over There posted:

Nuclear thrown is a twin stick, Gungeon is a slow-paced bullet hell that looks like a twin stick.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
neat, sounds like I'll like it much better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like gungeon but it's slow and kind of a drag a lot of the time. Nuclear throne on the other hand is 100 percent fun and engaging all the time.

Also the guns feel piddly and weak in GUNgeon, whereas they have a real sense of heft and power in NT. It feels so much better to play, much shorter runs help with this too. Once you know the game, you can usually get to the last boss in what, 40 mins to an hour?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I like difficult games but I don't like having my time deliberately wasted with long stretches of ultra punishing twitch gameplay. Doing something over and over and over and over and over until pure muscle memory carries me through is not that rewarding to me. I'm already well aware that I can become good at something if I do it enough times. That stopped being satisfying a long time ago. I prefer slower gameplay where hard situations can become easy through perception and strategy.

Fast paced; very punishing; long stretches without checkpoints: pick two. If you pick all three, your game is basically a form of masochism.

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

japtor posted:

If you see this (or anyone else playing Trials) add me for more friend times to compare to! I have a lack of people on my friends list playing Trials, like two. 1234-1141-8447

If there are any other trials players on my Friend code is SW-3216-3923-0904
Im spends half my tiny amount of free time on Mario + Rabbids And half on Trials

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

asecondduck posted:

I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be some barrier for entry for games. There's a small set of skills you have to have to play most games. My wife can't play most games because, for whatever reason, she can't wrap her head around the concept of moving a camera and the player character at the same time, and anything fast paced because she doesn't have the reaction time.

But, on the other hand, she loves the SMT and Fire Emblem series because she has plenty of time to decide what to do and there's no camera. She can play Mario Party and Mario Kart and even Smash Bros because those games have very low barriers for entry (she's not brilliant at them, mind you, but she can still play with me and our friends and have a good time).

The first video game I "beat" was Super Mario World, emulated through ZSNES with excessive abuse of save states. But the more of it I played, the more I learned about how to time jumps and the patterns and all of that. I removed a barrier of entry by giving myself infinite retries of a difficult section. Obviously that wasn't how the game was meant to be played, but I was able to learn and beat a game in a way that was a lot less frustrating than having to replay an entire half of a level, and now I can play and beat SMW without any save states (well, not Special Zone).

You have infinite tries on a SNES, too, you just lose more progress than you do with a save state. You could have had the same experience (like the rest of us who grew up having to learn it on a SNES) by not cheating. The conditions of winning a stage in Cuphead is to beat the boss, all the way through from the start, in one play. That's how you win. If you can't do it, you don't win.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Volte posted:

Doing something over and over and over and over and over until pure muscle memory carries me through is not that rewarding to me.

That's fine, that means you don't like this specific subgenre of difficult games. A lot of people do, though and Cuphead is absolutely about this gameplay loop at its very core. That's the point, and no one should be "walking in surprised" because 30 seconds of Google will tell you everything you need to know

Like someone else said, not everything has to be for everyone and it sounds like you're aware that Cuphead isn't for you!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s weird how much gamers get wrapped up in how hard a game is, going so far as to get mad at Modes they don’t even need to interact with existing. This same argument happened when Mario added that baby mode

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Volte posted:

[...]your game is basically a form of masochism.

Yeah? I don't think anyone is denying that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
all games should have an easy mode, but if you choose to play it the game sends an email to everyone you know detailing what a big cowardly baby you are

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cupheads Easy move would be better if it were called "training" mode since you can't actually progress through it, but it does kind of give you a picture of what the boss is like and let you practice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For what it's worth, I'm playing through Rayman Legends again and I love love love how forgiving the game is, with the flutter often able to save you if you gently caress up a jump, and the very generous checkpoints, especially during boss fights.

If you're a platforming god, you'll never see or use those additions. Heck, getting an extra heart on the load screen is completely optional. But they're there if you need or want them. It's also never reliant on checkpoints--you have the skills, you can beat an entire level the first time through.

At the same time, unlocking levels requires you to put in at least a small amount of effort collecting Teensies, so you're incentivized to go beyond just beating a level.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
help my mind won't stop exploding over the fact that the necrodancer devs are making an official zelda-spinoff game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I do agree that Cuphead should just let you beat it on easy mode if you want to, especially since the mode is already integrated into the game. Back in the day, blocking off endings to harder difficulties was a blatant attempt to stretch playtime, it's not like it was a deliberate artistic choice or anything

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

help my mind won't stop exploding over the fact that the necrodancer devs are making an official zelda-spinoff game

does it have an easy mode

(Yeah the crossover seems great and totally out of left field)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

For what it's worth, I'm playing through Rayman Legends again and I love love love how forgiving the game is, with the flutter often able to save you if you gently caress up a jump, and the very generous checkpoints, especially during boss fights.

If you're a platforming god, you'll never see or use those additions. Heck, getting an extra heart on the load screen is completely optional. But they're there if you need or want them. It's also never reliant on checkpoints--you have the skills, you can beat an entire level the first time through.

At the same time, unlocking levels requires you to put in at least a small amount of effort collecting Teensies, so you're incentivized to go beyond just beating a level.

part of the entire appeal of hard games is the pressure of failure

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

asecondduck posted:

I never noticed any checkpoints during boss fights at all. I feel like I had to start from the beginning every time

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Those boss fights in Cadence of Hyrule are definitely named Gleeokenspiel and Guitarmos knights.

Now, what other music-themed puns could they make for other boss fights? Gohmaccordion? Dobongo? Or, wait, I guess they could just use Bongo Bongo for that.

Digeridogger

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

part of the entire appeal of hard games is the pressure of failure

See, I don't believe that. I think that the appeal of hard games (or hard anything) should be in being able to play that game well, and usually the best way to do anything well is through practice.

Imagine if, while learning guitar, you had to start the song over from the beginning again if you made a mistake. But that's not how people learn guitar. You slow down and repeat the section that's giving you trouble until you learn how it works, and then the next time though that section you should be able to play it without issue.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

Imagine if, while learning guitar, you had to start the song over from the beginning again if you made a mistake. But that's not how people learn guitar. You slow down and repeat the section that's giving you trouble until you learn how it works, and then the next time though that section you should be able to play it without issue.

dude have you ever learned how to play an instrument it's like literally all repetition until you know everything by heart

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

dude have you ever learned how to play an instrument it's like literally all repetition until you know everything by heart

Yes, repetition of the specific part that's giving you trouble. Hence why I like the (relatively) huge number of checkpoints in Rayman Legends, and why save state abuse in SMW made me better at the game.

I'll expand on this. In piano, you often learn scales to start with so you learn where notes are, how intervals work, etcetera. You start off playing them very, very slowly, then as you learn them, you play them faster. Then you move onto the different scales, chords, etc. You get sheet music for a song, say, Baa Baa Black Sheep. You play the song through, learning how to move between notes. Let's say, I dunno, the "three bags full" is giving you a particular trouble. So you play it slowly a few times, learning how that decent works. Then, once you're comfortable with it, you can reintegrate it back into the song.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2019

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
How about we just say that a developer has a right to want their game to be played a certain way, but its a nice gesture to allow players to alter that if they so choose.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

asecondduck posted:

See, I don't believe that. I think that the appeal of hard games (or hard anything) should be in being able to play that game well, and usually the best way to do anything well is through practice.

Based on your analogy, you're looking for save states that let you "slow down" the action. That said, when I practice guitar I usually go over full sections/bars rather than a few notes unless it's a super tricky line or something.

I guess what I'm saying is that the analogy isn't entirely 1:1

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Pressure of failure is definitely a big factor why I like many challenging games.

Without it I would like games Fire Emblem, XCom or souls games a lot less

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trinexx posted:

Digeridogger

Pipe Organon

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

asecondduck posted:

This is literally saying "you're enjoying things wrong".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Pressure of failure is definitely a big factor why I like many challenging games.

What pressure do you feel in souls games? Most bosses are just a short jog away.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ItBreathes posted:

This is literally saying "you're enjoying things wrong".

asecondduck posted:

I am expressing what I believe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

Based on your analogy, you're looking for save states that let you "slow down" the action. That said, when I practice guitar I usually go over full sections/bars rather than a few notes unless it's a super tricky line or something.

I guess what I'm saying is that the analogy isn't entirely 1:1

it's best to repeat frequently because otherwise you run the risk of earlier sections atrophying if you don't. practice isn't about not making mistakes once, it's about doing it enough that you don't make mistakes at all

(for a video game comparision, this is why I don't like Super Meat Boy, it's all too focused on getting a single perfect run rather than actually improving at the game.)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Agreed, pressure and stress in my recreational activities is fun. See: souls games, HK, etc

CharlestheHammer posted:

What pressure do you feel in souls games? Most bosses are just a short jog away.

Pressure relative to other games. Having to actually run back is a penalty, poking around new scary areas with a ton of souls is exhilarating and addicting due to the sense of danger it creates, etc.

No sense of risk or danger = no/less fun for a lot of people. This is like a super common human trait in all contexts

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 21, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Your Computer posted:

I really, really want to read a post-mortem of the zelda necrodancer title. How involved is Nintendo? I assume at the very least, they're approving and helping guide the art style. Are they truly letting an indie run wild with their IP? Super interested in seeing how this came about.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

asecondduck posted:

I am expressing what I believe.

you don't seem to like hard games so i'm not sure why you're talking about what you believe the appeal of hard games is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Some runs are more difficult and boss fights can be pretty long by themselves so there is way more pressure on you when the boss is at low health goes onto its last phase. The pressure is there (not in a big way but it's still there) also in normal exploration too since dying can set you back quite a bit.

Having some tension in your boss fights and exploration is good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Helmarock King
Moldrum
Manhandolin
Jamhalla

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I practice saxophone, I start at the last few bars and work my way backwards, I get more precise of the end and middle parts as I work backwards.

Someone make a game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Imagined posted:

Buildings should have stairs as steep as the architect wants. They made the building. Any argument against this is insanity.

Hell yeah, and I should be able to drive as fast as I want because my speedometer goes to 140 mph. Games !