Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll drop from 4 to 2, as I had 4 to help with control. Timely reinforcements might end up working better for the lifegain.

Could also be time to admit that gw isn't the best and spend the cash to dive into black, much as I love advent of the wurm and green in the deck. Cramming a nissa, voice of zendikar in would be the dream but I don't think it'll fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll drop from 4 to 2, as I had 4 to help with control. Timely reinforcements might end up working better for the lifegain.

Could also be time to admit that gw isn't the best and spend the cash to dive into black, much as I love advent of the wurm and green in the deck. Cramming a nissa, voice of zendikar in would be the dream but I don't think it'll fit.

BW Tokens is 2/3 to 3/4 white so you probably have a good chunk of the cards already. The discard spells are a little pricey but they'll be good cards forever. BW Tokens (or Wx token decks) might also see a little resurgence when Serra is printed in Modern Horizons, so you could be a trend-setter!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Personally I run 3 voices in my abzan evolution deck but I also have about 5/6 ways to value one out of the grave and the deck itself tends to draw opponent turn plays to try to stop what I'm doing so honestly I should be at 4.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ShaneB posted:

After going like 4-1, 4-0, I have now lost 6 straight on modo with Dredge. This is what I deserved.

Sounds about right. On MTGO I would 5-0 / 4-1 a few leagues and then just go through two leagues in a row where I would find people that just didn’t want to lose to any graveyard decks. They were running 4 maindeck hate cards and go up to 10 after sideboard and always had it. Ended up being good practice for figuring out how to deal with hate and play through it but didn’t make it any less frustrating. But then again I deserved it for playing dredge as well

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

You just need to build around the current meta, and voice isn't amazing right now. It's definitely had its moments though. Timely seems like it would be bad in a tokens deck though, ideally with tokens you're going to always have more creatures so you won't get the 3 1/1's, and 3 mana just to gain 6 life is bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Even when I play Spirits against my buddy's 4 color Saheeli Evolution deck, a turn 2 Voice rarely matters. I either have a Vial, Path it, let it hit me for 2 a few times and fly over, or just cast spells anyway and chump the giant token. The turn 2 Evolve Voice into Rallier, get back Voice games can be hard to race though.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Even when I play Spirits against my buddy's 4 color Saheeli Evolution deck, a turn 2 Voice rarely matters. I either have a Vial, Path it, let it hit me for 2 a few times and fly over, or just cast spells anyway and chump the giant token. The turn 2 Evolve Voice into Rallier, get back Voice games can be hard to race though.

I love voice rallier evo setups so much

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

speaking of BWx tokens decks, is that Cabal Therapist card they're printing for modern horizons A Thing? Seems pretty free with like a bitterblossom or something

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

speaking of BWx tokens decks, is that Cabal Therapist card they're printing for modern horizons A Thing? Seems pretty free with like a bitterblossom or something

A Tokens deck running Bitterblossom is most likely running IoK and Thoughtseize too, and I don't know that Therapist is better than those except in very specific circumstances. Even in a Young Pyromancer deck like Mardu Pyro you're still running discard. I think the fact that you can only use Therapist once a turn is going to really drag it down, though it makes sense why you'd print it like that rather than a sorcery-speed activated ability.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah it's a sideboard card at best but seems pretty good against the "critical mass" decks like storm and ad naus

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

All that card will do is make their removal suddenly a lot more live against tokens.

If it were usable the same turn it would be great but it’s not, card is just very slow.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So it's really bite the bullet and go in on IoK or thoughtseize? For green I really run only advent and one or two March of the multitudes with the voices. I love advent, but at 1GGW it's a tough splash when I'm already splashing for black with lingering souls.

Maybe a slower less instant focused game is what it needs, despite how much I love running instant speed to eat counterspells. BW tokens seems more of a real deck than GW if I can get the bitterblossoms and Sorin solemn planeswalker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

So it's really bite the bullet and go in on IoK or thoughtseize? For green I really run only advent and one or two March of the multitudes with the voices. I love advent, but at 1GGW it's a tough splash when I'm already splashing for black with lingering souls.

Maybe a slower less instant focused game is what it needs, despite how much I love running instant speed to eat counterspells. BW tokens seems more of a real deck than GW if I can get the bitterblossoms and Sorin solemn planeswalker.

This should give you some ideas. It's never going to set the world on fire but it's a respectable deck that can definitely win, and it's not terribly expensive. I'd say start with the cheaper cards like IoK and Sorin and work your way up from there.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

just give me Actual Cabal Therapy in modern you loving cowards

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

just give me Actual Cabal Therapy in modern you loving cowards

I really thought it was one of the safer yet exciting reprints they could have done. It’d be a lot more difficult to blind name cards without the ubiquity of force of will, unless that means...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Like I guess maybe they were afraid of blind Cabal blowouts?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

blind cabal blowouts rule. way less feel bad than the t1 probe into therapy blowout

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That just reminded me of the sketchy way my Friday at the GP ended with Legacy. My Grixis opponent had been naming Mirran Crusader every time, since it's unbeatable if I stick it and stick Sword of Fire and Ice on him. Game 3 I have to mulligan, I'm all in on turn 1 Mom, turn 2 Stoneforge with my Cavern making it uncounterable.....he turn 1 casts Therapy in the dark, pauses a minute, then names Stoneforge for the first time in the entire match.

One of his buddies on his team (they were wearing terrible uniforms) happened to be standing right behind me.

But it's at FNM level in a side event like that, so basically anything goes and I can't prove anything happened. I would have thought nothing of it, but earlier in the match he had resolved a Brainstorm, put down his hand, drew 3 cards, said "I don't like these", then proceeded to mash all 3 into the center of his deck despite me trying to stop him to ask wtf he thought he was doing. Called a judge because I have no loving clue how you fix that poo poo at that REL (at competitive or higher that's probably an instant game loss for any number of reasons). He claimed he thought it was Preordain after looking at the 3 cards....but Preordain doesn't let you shuffle poo poo back in either?

The whole thing just felt really weird. Sadly, at that REL the "fix" is that he just shuffles his deck and gets to re-do his brainstorm. Draw a fresh 3 and put 2 back. Feels so bad when he clearly whiffed on his initial Brainstorm, and then with the Cabal Therapy thing later, the whole round just felt really scummy.

I don't get why you would cheat at that level, but then again, Bertoncini finally ate his perma-ban by cheating at an FNM or some poo poo, so who the gently caress knows. I can't prove poo poo, but it was all incredibly suspicious and felt so bad coming off my undefeated streak in the Modern qualifiers.

Such a great weekend, but thinking back, all 3 days ended on feelbad downer losses :smith:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't get why you would cheat at that level, but then again, Bertoncini finally ate his perma-ban by cheating at an FNM or some poo poo, so who the gently caress knows. I can't prove poo poo, but it was all incredibly suspicious and felt so bad coming off my undefeated streak in the Modern qualifiers.

Because competitive magic has become a cesspool of tribes and cheaters.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

I really thought it was one of the safer yet exciting reprints they could have done. It’d be a lot more difficult to blind name cards without the ubiquity of force of will, unless that means...

Brainstorm is probably the best blind name tbh

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

Because competitive magic has become a cesspool of tribes and cheaters.

:rolleyes:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Are you sure you want to rolleyes when there are grimy as gently caress teams out there going so far as to try to spy on other teams to see what they are taking to events? lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

AkumaHokoru posted:

Are you sure you want to rolleyes when there are grimy as gently caress teams out there going so far as to try to spy on other teams to see what they are taking to events? lol

Oh no, it's 2003 all over again. Teams have existed and been trying to steal lists/tech for basically as long as the Pro Tour has existed, and they used to have a much harder job of it than they do now that "team secrecy" in some cases consists of "drop after 4-0 in your league so you don't risk posting your decklist".

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sadly, at that REL the "fix" is that he just shuffles his deck and gets to re-do his brainstorm. Draw a fresh 3 and put 2 back.

Whoever made this ruling is an idiot. The only correct fix at that level is leaving the game state as-is.

From Judging at Regular document:

"A player makes an in-game error not mentioned above

This will cover the bulk of player errors, and we will usually leave the game as it is. Fix anything that is
currently illegal (e.g. an Aura enchanting an illegal permanent) and continue the game. If the error was
caught quickly and rewinding is relatively easy, you may choose to undo all the actions back to the point that
the illegal action happened. This can include returning random cards from the hand to the library to undo
card draws (though don't shuffle the library if you do this) and reversing various other actions (such as
untapping permanents and declaring attackers or blockers). Don't go crazy with this!"

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
In about a month I'm going to be free on Monday nights and able to go to Modern Mondays at my LGS, and I'm not sure what I want to try and put together to attend. I have all of the shocks, all of the khans fetches, and scalding tarns, but basically nothing in the way of man-lands or fast lands, and a smattering of staples that applies more to legacy than to modern, mostly grixis stuff. I know I could put together a reasonable version of burn (I have it together in legacy from old U/R delver parts) but I'd like to get something different together sooner rather than later for my own enjoyent's sake. I know my meta includes GR tron, titanshift, amulet bloom, 8-rack (I think two players?), Infect, burn, storm, and jund. Any suggestions for something that wouldn't be too crazy expensive to build and wouldn't roll over to a large % of that field?

E: flipping through lists on mtgtop8, it looks like death's shadows themselves and mishra's baubles are about all I'm short for Grixis Shadow, outside of sb LotV and k-commands, if that helps.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 25, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think the current consensus around Modern is that it's a bad time to buy big into a given deck. Modern Horizons will most likely shake up the format in some way this summer, and the proposed new mulligan rule may do so as well if it gets implemented. People suspect that Wizards is also waiting for those two things to go into effect before implementing what may be necessary bans to the current top two decks in the format. There's just a lot of uncertainty around Modern right now, BUT Grixis Death's Shadow is probably as safe a deck as any to pick up right now if you only need a few cards, though I've heard that it takes quite a bit of practice to play well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Counterpoint: 2 of their top 10 cards are a joke Cabal Therapy and whatever Serra is supposed to be? The 4th worst 2WW planeswalker ever made?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: 2 of their top 10 cards are a joke Cabal Therapy and whatever Serra is supposed to be? The 4th worst 2WW planeswalker ever made?

Double riposte counterpoint: if Wizards could actually predict what cards will or won't be good in Modern, the top two decks in Modern ATM might be very different :v:

And I didn't say MH1 would completely warp the format, I just said it would change something about it. That's a lot of (allegedly) Modern playables to get introduced all at once!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 25, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You could argue it's already heavily warping the format by keeping Faithless Looting legal longer when it would have probably been banned otherwise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Cabal Therapist is one thing but you're sleeping harder on that Serra than you should steve.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cabal Therapist is one thing but you're sleeping harder on that Serra than you should steve.

Nah. She's worse than Gideon and Elspeth.
My analysis is 100% accurate

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Cabal blows. Serra blows. Hopefully MH1 blows or the price of modern is going to skyrocket as people scramble to scoop up overpriced legacy staples and overpriced new staples that are only printed in $10 packs.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
while modern sucks you guys should all play premodern, so i have someone to play with. please. im begging

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kalvanoo posted:

while modern sucks you guys should all play premodern, so i have someone to play with. please. im begging

Working on it brother.

https://imgur.com/a/Dm1Bc0t

Wastelands not pictured but they exist, everything else is in the mail. Need to upgrade some stuff but gonna take it slow before I blow even more $ on poo poo I'll never play with IRL.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah too bad Survival and Recurring Nightmare are both reserved list and cost $lol

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I almost shat myself when I saw the judge promo survivals in cases at the gp. I think I got mine right at 200ish as the last foil I needed for my cube?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I almost shat myself when I saw the judge promo survivals in cases at the gp. I think I got mine right at 200ish as the last foil I needed for my cube?

Same except Judge Bolts. Also one was free because of a shipping screw-up where it disappeared in customs for 5 months. Of course, nobody has adjusted their buy prices up so none of it matters.

I just have the one non-foil Survival and Recurring Nightmare I opened a million years ago.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Going to be pissed when modern horizons drives the price of fetches even higher. Playing with straight basics and evolving wilds will be fun, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Going to be pissed when modern horizons drives the price of fetches even higher. Playing with straight basics and evolving wilds will be fun, I guess.

So like a month ago when they announced no modern legal cards would be included?