Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finding of the Wasp, very cool.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thankfully Wasp is 2.5 miles down.

So if around Guadalcanal is so deep, why did USN submarines not try to have a presence there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I find a lot of these early paintings kinda... Not fond to look at, but the bottom left one of that pink haired lady is very cute.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raenir Salazar posted:

I find a lot of these early paintings kinda... Not fond to look at, but the bottom left one of that pink haired lady is very cute.
these might look a little strange to you because they are miniatures under very strong magnification. you'd wear them around your neck or carry them with you or something, a picture of people you're close to before photography existed

edit: but you can see how movies sometimes get things wrong so it will look more familiar to us--where's the pink hair in master and commander? the hair extensions in any show about 16th or 17th century central europe? people think "historically serious" means "everyone wears brown"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 20, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

Finding of the Wasp, very cool.

So if around Guadalcanal is so deep, why did USN submarines not try to have a presence there?

They did. Both US and Japanese submarines operated in the Solomons. In fact, there were two US subs shadowing the Japanese 2nd Fleet at the battle of Guadacanal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

these might look a little strange to you because they are miniatures under very strong magnification. you'd wear them around your neck or carry them with you or something, a picture of people you're close to before photography existed

edit: but you can see how movies sometimes get things wrong so it will look more familiar to us--where's the pink hair in master and commander? the hair extensions in any show about 16th or 17th century central europe? people think "historically serious" means "everyone wears brown"

From history, can we extrapolate how to bring this poo poo back?

Like, on a family trip to Florida last year I got to rock some of my late grandpa’s ancient hawaiian shirts and one of his ties and it felt so flamboyant and fantastic. My favourite shirt was navy blue with turquoise waves along the bottom and pineapples everywhere else. And that is tame as gently caress by historical male fashion standards.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah dude you simply pull it off.

Also please enjoy this, the world most obnoxious twitter thread, that makes the dubious proposal that the blame for the drabness and uniformity of modern male fashion lies at the feet of one man.

https://twitter.com/_alexrowland/status/1100074018458218497

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Yeah dude you simply pull it off.

Also please enjoy this, the world most obnoxious twitter thread, that makes the dubious proposal that the blame for the drabness and uniformity of modern male fashion lies at the feet of one man.

https://twitter.com/_alexrowland/status/1100074018458218497
this woman is wrong, it's about how the french revolution got trendy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

From history, can we extrapolate how to bring this poo poo back?

Like, on a family trip to Florida last year I got to rock some of my late grandpa’s ancient hawaiian shirts and one of his ties and it felt so flamboyant and fantastic. My favourite shirt was navy blue with turquoise waves along the bottom and pineapples everywhere else. And that is tame as gently caress by historical male fashion standards.
convince yourself you're a baller and walk around telling everyone else to loving deal with it

edit: The Favourite did this well, not only the sexual mores of the late 17th century but they also remembered that men wore more makeup than women. i am less comfortable with some of the fabrics, but willing to be convinced

if we could find a way to go back in time and market conditioner and modern makeup to the Thirty Years War, we'd make bank

edit 2: i met an English flag-bearer at a reenactment a few years ago (he tried to pick me up lol) whose doublet and breeches were bright pink, paneled with embroidered white silk

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 20, 2019

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just FYI you've totally convinced me about the need to bring back texture and pattern in men's fashions
Hellya, one of my favorite things about huge budget movies or theater is how luscious the textures are on the costumes.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

convince yourself you're a baller and walk around telling everyone else to loving deal with it

edit: The Favourite did this well, not only the sexual mores of the late 17th century but they also remembered that men wore more makeup than women. i am less comfortable with some of the fabrics, but willing to be convinced

if we could find a way to go back in time and market conditioner and modern makeup to the Thirty Years War, we'd make bank

edit 2: i met an English flag-bearer at a reenactment a few years ago (he tried to pick me up lol) whose doublet and breeches were bright pink, paneled with embroidered white silk

Man it would be so loving cool to see a historical war movie about the early modern period where everyone is rolling with the giant plumed hats, pink waistcoats, and blinged out to hell poo poo that all of these dudes would have worn or wanted to wear in real life. Critics and other dumb assholes would hate it for not "taking the subject matter seriously" or whatever, but it would be so awesome.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

Man it would be so loving cool to see a historical war movie about the early modern period where everyone is rolling with the giant plumed hats, pink waistcoats, and blinged out to hell poo poo that all of these dudes would have worn or wanted to wear in real life. Critics and other dumb assholes would hate it for not "taking the subject matter seriously" or whatever, but it would be so awesome.

in Barry Lyndon the only man who wore correct and accurate makeup was someone the audience was not supposed to like. In The Patriot the only man who wore accurate makeup was a French naval officer at the very end and I'm sure Gibson intended us to think the French are pussies.

On a slightly related note, here are two three-year old boys playing war. The length of the skirts is probably either idealized or done only for the painting since a baby couldn't walk in skirts that long irl

Johanna Vergouwen, 1668

edit: I mean that was the point of The Favourite, wasn't it? The way these people actually hosed and talked about loving, and the way they actually were disabled and dealt with disability was something other than your usual po-faced historical drama. Same with the way they dressed, 17th century German/Czech/PLC women walking around with three foot long hair extensions made of bright purple fabric

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 20, 2019

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

HEY GUNS posted:

in Barry Lyndon the only man who wore correct and accurate makeup was someone the audience was not supposed to like.

Which guy was this?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kangxi posted:

Which guy was this?
balibari

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I sort of like the fact that I can wear a pair of black pants and a white or a blue shirt all the time and nobody cares. I don't have to worry about coordinating colors, I don't have to worry about making sure I look fashionable or putting on layer after layer of clothing or makeup. Black shoes, black socks, black pants, white or blue shirt, and if I want to look fancy, grey or black jacket and blue or grey tie. It's great.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I sort of like the fact that I can wear a pair of black pants and a white or a blue shirt all the time and nobody cares.
Found the Spaniard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Epicurius posted:

I sort of like the fact that I can wear a pair of black pants and a white or a blue shirt all the time and nobody cares. I don't have to worry about coordinating colors, I don't have to worry about making sure I look fashionable or putting on layer after layer of clothing or makeup. Black shoes, black socks, black pants, white or blue shirt, and if I want to look fancy, grey or black jacket and blue or grey tie. It's great.

Have you ever considered the career of landsknecht? You get to wear the most garish and flamboyant outfits to attract potential mates employers!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Remulak posted:

Hellya, one of my favorite things about huge budget movies or theater is how luscious the textures are on the costumes.

This is an odd double post

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Siivola posted:

Found the Spaniard.

Color's not for normal clothing. It's for statues of Jesus being tortured and religious brotherhoods that aren't the Klan even though you might think they are.

eta

Also giant litters with sculptures of the Virgin Mary on them.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 21, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hawaiian shirts have never not been awesome, though?

:confused:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there was a big boom of flashy colors for men's formalwear in the 60s and 70s, but that may just be old movies and TV showing off their brand new range of color. I think there is a feeling that men's formal wear has "dead-ended", but also formal wear is just less-worn than it used to be, and casual wear is much more changing and fluid over the years.

Of course, I personally like wearing clothes that are easily forgettable because of a weird pathological desire to not be noticed, but I feel like that's more of an exception to common fashion trends.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Hawaiian shirts have never not been awesome, though?

:confused:

I have one that has WWII American bombers instead of flowers, it's pretty :krad: and I wear it every chance I get.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don Gato posted:

I have one that has WWII American bombers instead of flowers, it's pretty :krad: and I wear it every chance I get.

That sounds awesome.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Don Gato posted:

Link. Now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there was a big boom of flashy colors for men's formalwear in the 60s and 70s, but that may just be old movies and TV showing off their brand new range of color. I think there is a feeling that men's formal wear has "dead-ended", but also formal wear is just less-worn than it used to be, and casual wear is much more changing and fluid over the years.

Of course, I personally like wearing clothes that are easily forgettable because of a weird pathological desire to not be noticed, but I feel like that's more of an exception to common fashion trends.

I mean stuff like this was not really meant for the same sort of places everyone wears suits today. Rather it was more the sort of places that today you might show up with just a polo and well-kept jeans. Of course certain people at fancier places also wore the flashy stuff but it was not something you could just expect to start doing as a regular office worker.

(The guys on the left were pretty much within acceptable standards for any office, of course)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's one you might not actually want to wear in Hawaii.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

17th century German/Czech/PLC women walking around with three foot long hair extensions made of bright purple fabric

Do you have a painting of this? That sounds wild.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phanatic posted:

That's one you might not actually want to wear in Hawaii.

gently caress I’ve got a Hawaiian shirt with WW2 aircraft all over it that i bought there. P51, b17, b29, Warhawk, and Corsair in a repeating pattern if memory serves.

It’s awesome and one of my favorite possessions. Last time I wore it was to udvar hazy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I should look into getting one of those. There's a tiki bar in Sanford opening in a few weeks that's themed after 1940s and 1950s tiki bars, and I don't have a Hawaiian shirt to go with the grand opening.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Don Gato posted:

Another option:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cessna posted:

Another option:

A little too :mil101: for me. Chromed warbirds over pastel colors plz.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Another option:

New MARPAT looking good

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
I also have a WW2 aircraft Hawai'ian shirt. I'm starting to feel like it might be easier to ask who in the thread does not have one.

Also it doesn't match either description so far given so there are at least three companies making these shirts.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

New MARPAT looking good

Throw a few hundred million dollars at it first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just bought this shirt. Gonna be a tropical weekend in April!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Epicurius posted:

Yep, male lack of fashion is wonderful, and anyone who wants to change it is my bitter enemy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It can go both ways. Day to day I want to be a lazy slob. If I could go to work in a bathrobe I would.

But once in a while you want to feel fancy. Being restricted to “suit, other suit, or tux” for my wedding kinda blew. Well, if I wanted to be socially acceptable and keep my parents and in-laws happy. If you can swing it to get married in jorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and a slashed doublet then you do you.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyrano4747 posted:

It can go both ways. Day to day I want to be a lazy slob. If I could go to work in a bathrobe I would.

:hfive:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It’s probably a good thing I never landed a job in academia. I would have worn my doctoral wizard robes all day every day.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s probably a good thing I never landed a job in academia. I would have worn my doctoral wizard robes all day every day.

I work in the tech industry and the best day of my life was finding a job that let me wear jeans and a hoodie every day to work as opposed to nice pants, button downs and polos.

Sweat pants and sandals is a bridge too far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

But once in a while you want to feel fancy. Being restricted to “suit, other suit, or tux” for my wedding kinda blew. Well, if I wanted to be socially acceptable and keep my parents and in-laws happy. If you can swing it to get married in jorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and a slashed doublet then you do you.

Eh, you just got to do it. When I worked in a courthouse, there was one lawyer who showed up in flamboyant suits every so often and it didn't seem to hinder him.