Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

Also Godzilla's been WAY fatter in other movies.

GMK he straight up had a beer belly

Shin Godzilla has thunder thighs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

McSpanky posted:

Shin Godzilla has thunder thighs

"Yaguchi-san, how can we be sure that we can get close enough to Gojira to perform the Yashiori Strategy?"

"Gojira is dummy thicc. It won't be able to hear us coming over the clapping of its asscheeks."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I don’t know anything about Godzilla but I can’t wait for this movie.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

King of the Monsters will be the most incredible looking blockbuster this year. It's amazing how many frames are wallpaper material.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 18, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Lol that new balance sign is the kind of product placement I can get behind

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I am loving ALL IN for this version of Rodan.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I am loving ALL IN for this version of Rodan.
300 million years of bird rage distilled into a single entity

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pterosaurs are a separate genus from birds :sperg: but Rodan us probably their common ancestor

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I recently watched Kong: Skull Island after picking up Godzilla 2014 for a rewatch. Is there a house style in these movies that they have adhered to? Kong felt like someone literally said “more of the good stuff from Godzilla ‘14 and less of the bad” and the crew just knew exactly how to do it. Hundreds of incredibly composed frames, like the air drop scene from G14 but they just made more of those sequences.

I slept on Skull Island a long time but it has me crazy excited for this new one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Since there's only two movies so far, it's less house style and learning from what did and didn't work.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It just seemed so... confidently made up of those elements that worked. I guess those were some good early lessons. My thought was how much it evokes Apocalypse Now Meets The Lost Continent 70’s aesthetic. Was waiting for Rock Hudson or Doug McClure to show up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey if it means that they're going to use wide shots to effectively convey scale and awe then I'm all for them refining their cinematography. Given how the best action movies in recent memory have focused on stuff like center shot and rule of thirds while using a steady camera, I'm happy that we're moving away from the Paul Greengrass "my cameraman has Parkinson's" method of action cinematography.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pterosaurs are a separate genus from birds :sperg: but Rodan us probably their common ancestor

Naw, pterosaurs split off into their own genus from archosaur reptiles - like the dinosaurs and alongside them, but separately from them. The common ancestor of birds and pterosaurs would look more like a cross between a dog and lizard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Archaeopteryx has been right there, flapping its feathered arms.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Peacoffee posted:

I recently watched Kong: Skull Island after picking up Godzilla 2014 for a rewatch. Is there a house style in these movies that they have adhered to? Kong felt like someone literally said “more of the good stuff from Godzilla ‘14 and less of the bad” and the crew just knew exactly how to do it. Hundreds of incredibly composed frames, like the air drop scene from G14 but they just made more of those sequences.

I slept on Skull Island a long time but it has me crazy excited for this new one.

Vogt Roberts is just really good. But also combining his direction with Larry Fong who does Snyder's stuff - you're gonna get some beautiful shots based off what Gareth Edwards pulled off in Monsters and Godzilla. This is probably one of the most beautiful blockbuster series in years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope Sally Hawkins gets to do more than spout exposition about what the Kaiju are doing in this film. Or have her make all these assumptions about the monsters and then be proved wrong. Just don't make her "it's an intimidation tactic!" line her whole role in the movie.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I hope rodan puts up a good fight instead of going down in 10 seconds like the robots in Pacific rim.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It seems like the fight between Rodan and King G is going to trash the entirety of DC so I'd say hell put up a fight

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

You're a big buy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Anybody got an opener? These things come in cans now."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

I hope rodan puts up a good fight instead of going down in 10 seconds like the robots in Pacific rim.

Justice for Cherno Alpha

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Justice for Cherno Alpha

Crimson Typhoon got robbed, just saying.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

That might be the most adorable thing ever.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rodan may not be godzillas friend for life like Angurius but hes there when it counts. Hes the Piccolo to godzillas goku, even going so far as to help train his son in one of the later mechagodzilla movies.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I thought Rodan was a chick

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

I thought Rodan was a chick

Rodan is one of the few to be canonically any gender in general.

The first movie has a whole twist about there being two of them, a mating pair, and there's no real distinction between the male and female Rodan.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mothra is definitely a girl, however.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
monsters don't have gender, until they do, and sex is a whole other can of worms

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1108764484208939010

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Uncle Wemus posted:

Rodan may not be godzillas friend for life like Angurius but hes there when it counts. Hes the Piccolo to godzillas goku, even going so far as to help train his son in one of the later mechagodzilla movies.

I always considered Angurius to be the Krillan to Godzilla's Goku myself :3:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh I think I was confused because I thought rodan was baby godzilla's mom in godzilla v mechagodzilla 2 but apparently the canon is that he's a 'protective older brother'

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Choco1980 posted:

I always considered Angurius to be the Krillan to Godzilla's Goku myself :3:

I've seen exactly enough DBZ to confirm that this is accurate.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1108760264126664704?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy poo poo I need this moviefilm.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo I need this moviefilm.

This is all I can do to prevent myself from exploding with excitement over this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0ix3QjaeQ

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DT, get out you loving creeper.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Free Drinks posted:

This is all I can do to prevent myself from exploding with excitement over this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0ix3QjaeQ

Lmao what is this from?

Edit: nvm it’s from a 1957 adaptation of Oedipus Rex

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 22, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Michael Dougherty posted:

You know, I think Ghidorah is gonna have a very cruel personality, but there is a sense of humor and mischief. It’s not a comedy by any means, but there’s a certain sense of curiosity. Because in my mind he’s like Rip van Winkle. You know, he wakes up and he doesn’t recognize any of this world. You know, so he’s never seen a jet before, he’s never seen a tank, a ship, human beings with guns. And so there is a certain part of our world that he is curious about and puzzled by. You know, so that has to come across.
It's a credit to him and the animators that Ghidorah's personalities come through even from the short snippets we've seen.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 22, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The three heads will all have different personalities, one wants to eat you, one wants to dissect you for study, and one just really wants to scare you and laugh as you run away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mandatory lesbian posted:

The three heads will all have different personalities, one wants to eat you, one wants to dissect you for study, and one just really wants to scare you and laugh as you run away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRV9YJal8kk