Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1108405325076533248

More news from the Fort McHenry. Maybe they should just scuttle it once the deployment is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i read that as parrot tits and i refuse to read it any other way

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EBB posted:

Honestly same.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Good luck in San Diego. Might want to get a motorcycle and ride into work because traffic is a motherfucker.

I cant decided whether or not to make a joke about reporting this post for telling me to kill myself, because I honestly cant tell if you meant it that way or not, lol

(Mrs. Bad Guy absolutely forbids me to get a motorcycle in SD, incidentally)

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 20, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I cant decided whether or not to make a joke about reporting this post for telling me to kill myself, because I honestly cant tell if you meant it that way or not, lol

At least you know she’s not trying to get rid of you.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

EBB posted:

Try ordering a parrot milk latte at Starbucks and see how that goes over.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dingleberry posted:

Try ordering a parrot milk latte at Starbucks and see how that goes over.

Parrot milk is known to cause cancer by the State of California.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Parrot milk is known to cause cancer by the State of California.

What isn’t a cancer risk in California?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Avocados?

E: poo poo they are actually a cancer risk to people with a genetic predisposition to cancer. haha gently caress

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 20, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Breast cancer risk, along with broccoli and asparagus

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So I regularly ride from Temecula to Camp Pendleton and 32nd St or Temecula out to March ARB. I ride a motorcycle everyday because the 5 and the 15 are pretty much perpetual gridlock. Lane splitting halves my commute and I figure it's not the most dangerous thing I do on a regular basis so win/win for me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The only enclosed space I am in on any given day that does not have a California cancer placard on it is my car.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Syrian Lannister posted:

What isn’t a cancer risk in California?

:thejoke:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EBB posted:

The only enclosed space I am in on any given day that does not have a California cancer placard on it is my car.

It does but you just can't see it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cgberube/status/1108708597809246208

It would be cool to actually go back to sea instead of filling joint billets at Combatant Commands or contingency operation billets that the Army should be filling instead of IAs

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There’s some billets available for IT5-6 to go to sea but they run through crab season so gently caress that.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

It would be cool to actually go back to sea instead of filling joint billets at Combatant Commands or contingency operation billets that the Army should be filling instead of IAs

Yea its bullshit. I'd go back to a ship in a heartbeat but instead I'll probably be in Djibouti riding in a jeep or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A former XO of mine, pissed at the way the army was using IAs from our ship and IAs in general, was giddy at the prospect of grabbing an army IA to deploy on the ship with us to the middle east. He figured the best thing to do would grab a technical expert E5 or E6 and then make them a mess crank for the entirety of deployment.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

A former XO of mine, pissed at the way the army was using IAs from our ship and IAs in general, was giddy at the prospect of grabbing an army IA to deploy on the ship with us to the middle east. He figured the best thing to do would grab a technical expert E5 or E6 and then make them a mess crank for the entirety of deployment.

“I joined the army and ended up cranking at sea”

I’d buy him a domestic draft (happy hour only).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

When I checked in for mobilization processing earlier this month, they said something along the lines of "welcome to all our reservists or as we call you, the Navy's expeditionary force."

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I checked in for mobilization processing earlier this month, they said something along the lines of "welcome to all our reservists or as we call you, the Navy's expeditionary force."

It’s good that they haven’t gotten any smarter than that when using reservists. In 2002-04 they were grabbing reservists from say MI and MN and sending them to the PNW to fill out security billets, regardless of rate. Then they were grabbing reservists from the PNW and sending them to Great Lakes and the east coast, to perform security billets. Or grabbing PNW guys and sending the to Diego for security posts, and when they got there they had nothing to use them for. But numbers matter, round peg, square hole or not.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s a pretty lovely XO if you ask me. Punishing some rando soldier who had nothing to do with the way Navy IA’s were used by the army tells me this guy isn’t very emotionally mature, and I would have serious concerns about his fitness to command based on just this alone.

I had Navy Reserve IS’s working for me the entire time I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. I did my best to see to it that they were used meaningfully, and given adequate training for our special mission sets. I explicitly exempted them from army stupidity like accountability formations and poo poo. I was impressed by the professionalism and capability of the reservists I got. Maybe I just got lucky but I’m talking about 20’sh people here.

That said, their mere presence is exhibit A for how badly we’ve depleted the Army.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That’s a pretty lovely XO if you ask me. Punishing some rando soldier who had nothing to do with the way Navy IA’s were used by the army tells me this guy isn’t very emotionally mature, and I would have serious concerns about his fitness to command based on just this alone.

I had Navy Reserve IS’s working for me the entire time I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. I did my best to see to it that they were used meaningfully, and given adequate training for our special mission sets. I explicitly exempted them from army stupidity like accountability formations and poo poo. I was impressed by the professionalism and capability of the reservists I got. Maybe I just got lucky but I’m talking about 20’sh people here.

That said, their mere presence is exhibit A for how badly we’ve depleted the Army.

We didn't actually get any augmentees, and if we had they would have been used properly. It was just a joke with him venting about how one of our best aegis techs was standing in a desert on a guard tower instead of working on equipment.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

We didn't actually get any augmentees, and if we had they would have been used properly. It was just a joke with him venting about how one of our best aegis techs was standing in a desert on a guard tower instead of working on equipment.

On what loving planet did an aegis FC ever go on an IA?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Had an instructor at boot who talked about doing just that

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

Had an instructor at boot who talked about doing just that

I'm just going to use my anecdotal evidence here of not knowing a single aegis fc going IA. Tons of conventional FCs did.

Looking around I found some papers that mentioned ia billets for aegis FCs in passing so maybe it was possible?

Edit: Cool bootcamp story bro.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

On what loving planet did an aegis FC ever go on an IA?

On my ship in 2011, iirc. And he stood guard duty exclusively somewhere in africa.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

On my ship in 2011, iirc. And he stood guard duty exclusively somewhere in africa.

In 2011?!

Lo-loving-l.

Did he volunteer? Why would a command let an aegis fc leave the ship unless he was a super dirtbag?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PneumonicBook posted:

In 2011?!

Lo-loving-l.

Did he volunteer? Why would a command let an aegis fc leave the ship unless he was a super dirtbag?

With all the loving clownshit that happens in the US military how is an Aegis tech getting sent to guard huts in Africa somehow unbelievable? I mean, the Navy literally paid me for giving a talk at Annapolis a couple years back. Me, a dumbshit goon.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know an FC that went IA to Iraq to work with CRAM. Didn't hear much about CRAM from his stories though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

With all the loving clownshit that happens in the US military how is an Aegis tech getting sent to guard huts in Africa somehow unbelievable? I mean, the Navy literally paid me for giving a talk at Annapolis a couple years back. Me, a dumbshit goon.

Because, and this may surprise you so hold onto you hat, the United States Navy is absolutely dog poo poo at properly managing its people.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

CMD598 posted:

I know an FC that went IA to Iraq to work with CRAM. Didn't hear much about CRAM from his stories though.

I was going to ask why he was working on searam until I googled it.

That's normal though, he was probably a conventional ciws FC, not a king poo poo aegis FC that are actually good and cool.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm just going to use my anecdotal evidence here of not knowing a single aegis fc going IA. Tons of conventional FCs did.

Looking around I found some papers that mentioned ia billets for aegis FCs in passing so maybe it was possible?

You asked re aegis, I said there's one who did, unless he made it up to impress boots. It is a cool story, thanks

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My unit's about to deploy again. We had our customary pre-deployment suicide this week, wonder how we'll end up in Navy Times/Stars and Stripes this time. If command team not fired for XO wandering woods drunk and naked is the bar for success, well, this could be rough

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

My unit's about to deploy again. We had our customary pre-deployment suicide this week, wonder how we'll end up in Navy Times/Stars and Stripes this time. If command team not fired for XO wandering woods drunk and naked is the bar for success, well, this could be rough

Geezus. Sorry dude.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Double post

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 22, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ManMythLegend posted:

Because, and this may surprise you so hold onto you hat, the United States Navy is absolutely dog poo poo at properly managing its people.

My favorite was when we had two engineers (actual engineers), a programmer, a former OSINT analyst for worked for a well known private intelligence firm, and another guy with an MBA all undes in deck department because for a while there was a policy at San Diego of not giving most A-school drops a second rate, and lol BUD/S is an A-school.

It even took having both SAR swimmers get injured within a week and being down to zero, causing the CO/XO to get the BMs to send some of them to SAR school because shockingly all the moron 19 year old BMSNs deck department sent kept failing and DORing SAR and other schools.

Gotta keep the undes busting rust at all costs I guess cause that’s what Chief did when he was undes and god forbid we think about actual productivity or mission accomplishment.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 22, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I have a coworker in the yards who was an aegis FC. His ship went into dry dock and he volunteered to work on equipment in Iraq. When he arrived they told him change of plans you’re now a turret gunner. He got blown up a few times but he said it was still better than being in the yards.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I would have gone IA in a heartbeat, deploying as a Spy tech was straight GARBAGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

I would have gone IA in a heartbeat, deploying as a Spy tech was straight GARBAGE.

He said he had a good time TOOM-TOOM-TOOMing but it’s not what he signed up for.