Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adus posted:

So I'm still pretty new. What was their intended goal with blue mage? Because i can't wrap my head around a class that can't queue for group content and caps at 50.

Pretty sure their intended goal was to shut up people who wanted blue mage.

Certainly a class I'll never touch, because it can't do any of the things I like to do in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a huge dumb apologist for this game but BLU is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on any game ever.

The target audience was people that needed a reason to sub for a week grinding old content. Like, it's halfway to real content, so I'm not sure why they didn't just go all the way. It's like 2 or 3 peoples' competing pet projects collided together.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Adus posted:

So I'm still pretty new. What was their intended goal with blue mage? Because i can't wrap my head around a class that can't queue for group content and caps at 50.

Maintaining "job flavour" at the cost of being usable as anything but a novelty that most people wrapped up in a couple of days and forgot about.

If they were to make it a real job, you wouldn't have the monster ability hunt mechanic because there'd be no way to balance that within the framework of how jobs operate in this game. So you end up with a choice: Do you make it a "classic" Blue Mage, where you have to go all over the world and do a bunch of bullshit to get monsters to teach you your core abilities because people like that for some reason, or do you strip that essential part of the class away, and just hand the player a variety of Blue Magic skills like Bad Breath and Self-Destruct through job quests or just via level-up like a normal class? They went with the former to say, "Here! Here is Blue Mage, the job you wanted, just like in the other Final Fantasies, but since you're a risk to party cohesion because we cannot guarantee you won't queue with zero abilities, we're going to invent the "limited job" system as a sideshow thing."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Adus posted:

You know how people sometimes bemoan how holy trinity game design doesn’t leave space for non traditional mechanics like elemental weaknesses and CC and just general weird mechanics that make you feel clever? That is what Limited Jobs are for. A game design space for that kind of thing that won’t gently caress with the balance of the rest of the game.

The Carnivale is a lot of fun because it’s a bunch of goofy weird puzzle fights where they dump you in and tell you to find a solution with your weird rear end magics. There’s usually more than one good solution.

It’s fun, but it’s not for everyone. Nor is it supposed to be. A lot of the people posting about it you can tell have not actually played it much, because BLUs design is inseparable from the design of the Carnivale. They’re two parts of the same content.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 21, 2019

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

isk posted:

Have fun with something new, get folks out into the game world more, possibly as a test for future class mechanics. It worked for a few days because MMO players are swarms of locusts (and the RNG for learning spells wasn't great at launch).

Has the RNG actually improved? After all the horror stories of people farming EX primals 100+ times with no skill learned, I decided to avoid that part altogether and get the bare minimum of skills to farm allied seals to finish off my ARR mount speed, and haven't touched BLU since.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dancer will use a microphone to sing their attacks at enemies and the Songbirds are the trainers (you must have the Songbird dance emote to unlock the job)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I still hold that it would have worked as a regular job and the pressure of going out and getting abilities wouldn't have had that much of a negative impact on party play. It's no different than expecting any other class to maintain their gear levels for the content they are doing. Maybe a little more advanced but nothing that locking the job as something you can only get once you've already capped once and have a basic understanding how important these abilities are, leading you to go out and get them.

But we'll never know if it would have worked that way.

As it is, I think it's fine. Just another diversion from grinding away at what you consider main task type poo poo that you can pick up to just chill out with. Activities like these are super cool and important which gives you something to do besides grind savage or tradeskill the day away.

For fun main mage type job, I think Red Mage fits that role super well anyway. Great class flavor and a very friendly rotation playstyle.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Dancer will use a microphone to sing their attacks at enemies and the Songbirds are the trainers (you must have the Songbird dance emote to unlock the job)

Dancer should use the DDR mechanics from the Christmas event.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Thundarr posted:

Serious post. I'm saving sheet music just in case it's somehow important for this. My reasoning is that anything is possible.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Oh right, I was thinking 4.0 jobs and was gonna be mad when someone called SAM cursed

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thoom posted:

Has the RNG actually improved? After all the horror stories of people farming EX primals 100+ times with no skill learned, I decided to avoid that part altogether and get the bare minimum of skills to farm allied seals to finish off my ARR mount speed, and haven't touched BLU since.

Can't double check EX stuff atm but pretty sure some later spells were made easier to learn (like Glower)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

The dungeon ones required for job quests were made to be guaranteed successes. I don't know if any others have been improved.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

isk posted:

Can't double check EX stuff atm but pretty sure some later spells were made easier to learn (like Glower)

The ones you need for job quests (1k needles, glower, mind blast, faze, blood drain) were made 100% learn, I think. I know at least Mind Blast and Glower were, since they were dungeon skills.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BLU is good because I gained three levels on my chocobo in a weekend

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There are a lot of problems with blu but fundamentally the biggest one is that it has no real rotation and you spend 85% of your time casting the same spell over and over and it's just loving boring.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
BLU's biggest advantage is that you can clear low level synched Fates in like 10 seconds to fill out the challenge log real quick to get that 1.1 million exp on a different class.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pretty wild how yoship turned out to have the exact same brain worms about what blue mage MUST BE as the grognard playerbase.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

BLU is fun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was real upset about BLU but now I'm happy with it. I think it's because doing weekly masked carnivale stuff after having unlocked everything is really great but the price you pay to get to that point was horrendous. And I don't even have most of the ex skills.

I think everyone would enjoy it more if the whole thing was actually soloable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

BLU is fun.
Its. (and so is Eureka, mostly)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I honestly haven't touched Blu since getting it to 50 because I have no desire to run dungeons and primals hundreds of times for a random drop when I've already done that before for ponies, and the masked carnivale just doesn't appeal to me at all.

It still blows me away that "Blu is meant for soloing" and "half of all Blu spells can only be obtained by farming party content" exist in the same developer headspace.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I got most of my BLU spells in a party of BLUs jackassing our way through dungeons and whatnot. And it was pretty fun!

The design of how you get Primal spells needs to change though yes.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I was a little surprised BLU didnt introduce its own fake currency with the masked carnival that you could use to buy like 3 unexciting glamour items and 2 house furnishings

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
BLU is worse than Eureka.

At least Eureka gives me -something- for 100 attempts at a thing, Blue is a big goose egg.

I don't believe at any point in playing the game have I ever noped out as hard as seeing how not fun or rewarding getting the harder spells/skills was. I plan to finish off the BLU story, but I don't know what the lazy way of fighting the 3-act bad guy is.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

Do you just... skip every cutscene, ignore every dialogue, and not pay attention when you can't do the previous two?

Yeah.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm mad because I got to Rank 7 with Kojin last night and didn't get anything but a lousy exp boost.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
BLU should have been a caster tank, don't @ me.

isk posted:

Have fun with something new, get folks out into the game world more, possibly as a test for future class mechanics. It worked for a few days because MMO players are swarms of locusts (and the RNG for learning spells wasn't great at launch).

Also, everything they were saying about, "talk to other players, and find out where to learn spells, because we won't tell you!" was completely meaningless from day -1, because the entire list of what spells were available and where to get them was datamined out before they even flipped the switch on the job turning it on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

BLU should have been a caster tank, don't @ me.

Also, everything they were saying about, "talk to other players, and find out where to learn spells, because we won't tell you!" was completely meaningless from day -1, because the entire list of what spells were available and where to get them was datamined out before they even flipped the switch on the job turning it on.
Not really, people datamined the book beforehand and took it as gospel, but the book frequently tells you the worst possible place to get a spell.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

why even play this game?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Tashilicious posted:

why even play this game?

Because I'm a masochist that enjoys getting face rolled by normal difficulty trials with new people that only want to be ice mages

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

why even play this game?

You play the game only for the story?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Tashilicious posted:

why even play this game?

FFXIV: There's a front page!?

The gameplay and social aspects (and 🎆glamour🎆) are reason enough for me to play, despite never knowing or caring who the main NPCs are. I also feel that playing a game for the story is like eating a meal for the silverware, but I'm from a time where video game stories were "are you a bad enough dude to save the president?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, are you?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rastan Beeza posted:

BLU is worse than Eureka.

At least Eureka gives me -something- for 100 attempts at a thing, Blue is a big goose egg.

I don't believe at any point in playing the game have I ever noped out as hard as seeing how not fun or rewarding getting the harder spells/skills was. I plan to finish off the BLU story, but I don't know what the lazy way of fighting the 3-act bad guy is.

Not even close. Eureka is trash, BLU is fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Potassium Problems posted:

FFXIV: There's a front page!?

The gameplay and social aspects (and 🎆glamour🎆) are reason enough for me to play, despite never knowing or caring who the main NPCs are. I also feel that playing a game for the story is like eating a meal for the silverware, but I'm from a time where video game stories were "are you a bad enough dude to save the president?"

This is fine, but don't complain about the story if you're skipping it when the game tries to give it to you.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I thought BLU was great fun for what it was trying to be and I appreciated it for that. Either they could remove everything peopled generally liked about BLU to have it fall in line with the MMO trifecta paradigm, or they could have it be its own thing. While I pretty much burned out all there was for it to do within a month, I enjoyed it during that period and hope they add more onto its own little mini-game in the future, and hope that it was successful enough they consider adapting more things into the Limited Job system with their own mechanics and gameplay conceits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
BLU would be a lot more fun if the drop rate for the not lovely spells weren't abysmal and also if the Maskerade wasn't so much of a "Well you figured out the combo to instant win this. Come back next week to do it again."

It, like Eureka, has a lot of potential and there's glimpses of cool poo poo in them but they're mostly poorly implemented.

If the next eureka-style thing starts at hydratos quality and builds from there it'll legit be one of the better parts of the epxac

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Give me a million gimmick classes over more Eureka any day.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think calling it poorly-implemented is a stretch. There were elements to it which could've been done better--spell drop rate being the most obvious--but beyond that I don't think the rest of it could be considered so egregious. I think they set out to do something with it, and that issue aside they implemented it well enough. Hopefully, between this and a few of the Eureka bits, they use the experience to improve future iterations or similar ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Cappy posted:

You play the game only for the story?

The reason I play this MMO over other MMOs is majorly about the story, yes.

Thats the selling point of FFXIV over other mmorpgs.

If you arent engaging in the major thing that sets it apart from other games in the genre and which it forces you to participate in, and which you find displeasing to be forced to go through, why do it?