Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
she's going to do one week extensions rolling until her deal passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
about that https://twitter.com/Jess_Shankleman/status/1108801825132683265?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

aMy Twenty2 obvs

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LAMENT CONFIGURATION MORE LIKE

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if you are feeling anxious, don't worry you in good company:

'A collective sense of anxiety among MPs'

Chris Mason

Political Correspondent

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason says "there is a collective sense of anxiety among MPs regardless of their perspective.

"There is the sense that next week they will have to make some pretty profound decisions - whether that is changing the law so that Brexit doesn't happen or accepting that a no deal outcome is a reality.

"At the moment there just simply are not the numbers for the prime minister's deal to pass.

"Some MPs who had changed their mind to support her deal are going wobbly again.

"The statement from the prime minister doesn't seem to have won anyone round and absolutely angered others."

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
The EU leaders surely know May's deal is dead, so why would they enable this shitshow and allow a May Deal or No Deal scenario? Third option must be on the way...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Too slow motherfucker.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You see, it is not the UK leaving the EU.
Its the EU leaving the UK.
So the EU has to vote on it.
All 500 million

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kinda enjoying parliament being scared tbh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gort posted:

You could look at that same PR exercise through a lens of, "May wanted to do a Brexit, but the MPs stole it from her!"

well yeah of course it's that too, but now she's talking directly to the public saying "whatever happens is up to the MPs" like she hasn't been holding the country at gunpoint with a bluff that's completely failed

Same with that Kwasi Kwarteng briefing note Peston was on about earlier - if he's being told to deflect from "if they don't pass this deal then it's no deal right" and say "you're getting ahead of yourselves" and "it's up to MPs to decide" then that sounds a hell of a lot like trying to decouple Theresa May from the No Deal train she's been driving like a maniac. So the messaging isn't "the only way to avoid no deal is to vote for this deal" anymore, now it's "oh well MPs decide how we go forward, it's up to them what happens next" like it's all out of May's hands

That appearance yesterday was pretty much May rocking up on live TV and going "whatever happens it's not my fault guys it's those MPs" and walking off

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1108799705029509121

this maybe?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dog Friday posted:

The EU leaders surely know May's deal is dead, so why would they enable this shitshow and allow a May Deal or No Deal scenario? Third option must be on the way...

because they're a bit more prepared for no deal than the UK is and it's not their job to stop brexit?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I hate to dash anyone's hopes about the petition but:

No petition has ever made any difference. If it can get up to 20m votes then maybe, but I doubt it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhatEvil posted:

I hate to dash anyone's hopes about the petition but:

No petition has ever made any difference. If it can get up to 20m votes then maybe, but I doubt it.

yeah if you thought that petition would make a blind bit of difference you're a fool

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh no, my hopes!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nine month extension will be a bit of a shitshow, but I imagine the EU really doesn't want to be seen as the one pushing the UK off the cliff even though the UK's already running full steam at it.

For similar reasons I think Bercow will relent and allow extension+MV3 be brought to a vote as a package.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/See_Em_Play/status/1108794051657125889

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JFairfax posted:

yeah if you thought that petition would make a blind bit of difference you're a fool

The only real difference it made was to get it pointed out in the house, and even that is a pretty minimal thing.

It was, for me at least, more an act of solidarity than anything.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The petition is useful in rallying support for no-no-deal. People who feel they have broad support are more confident in other actions.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh god what https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1108803953897148416?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it gets attention. i don't think anyone in britain imagines that this sort of petition actually effects change by itself; however, hardly anything does

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol jesusssss

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Ohh, that’ll be a fun birthday for me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dog Friday posted:

The longer the extension, the more likely we bin the idea of leaving and the more likely we change government to something a bit more reasonable.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

it gets attention. i don't think anyone in britain imagines that this sort of petition actually effects change by itself; however, hardly anything does

oh yeah good, I don't think anyone was aware that brexit was happening next week.

Maybe a general strike starting on Monday might be a good idea?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

We are all just shouting into the void.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hahaha

i mean he may be a oval office but this is pretty funny

e/ actually it's kinda good because May's deal is definitely being voted down and it removes the immediate cliff edge of no deal

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna add to my Brexit stockpile tomorrow, 'cos I think the supermarkets'll be empty by next weekend. Meanwhile, my work colleagues are STILL saying that no-deal Brexit "can't happen", 'cos "the government" won't let it.

Ahahaha, we're so hosed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The lament configuration.

We have such tariffs to show you.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Whoever was betting on a Thunderdome:
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1108805203602624514

Just the wrong parliament.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Thank goodness I didn't take that bet.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Hopefully the EU will offer Corbyn an extension until the end of May. Not the month.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Wow, who could have foreseen
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1108799698729689088

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ahahaha

https://twitter.com/aqbyrne/status/1108803821818531844

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is there even debate about it? No extension short of like, six months is gonna change anything.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/21/apocalypse-next-week-theresa-may-meaningful-vote

I Like the Apocalypse Now bit, very apt.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly not giving until may 22nd just seems petty

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So what happen if Nay gets a long delay pass the EU election?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Why is there even debate about it? No extension short of like, six months is gonna change anything.

Even a short one prevents immediate accidental no deal, but yeah to get anything actually sorted needs longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Financial Times has this

How Theresa May decided she was willing to accept a no-deal Brexit

PM made momentous decision in the early hours of the morning after a day of acrimonious debate

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, Theresa May made a momentous choice. After a day of acrimonious debate in her cabinet and inner circle, the prime minister decided that she was willing to take Britain out of the EU without a deal.

At Thursday’s European Council meeting in Brussels, EU diplomats wondered whether Mrs May was bluffing, but those close to the prime minister said if she cannot secure her Brexit deal she is determined the UK should embark on a no-deal exit.

Since announcing on Wednesday that she would ask EU leaders for a short extension to the bloc’s Article 50 process — to delay Brexit from March 29 to June 30 — people who have spoken to the prime minister said she is reconciled to the implications of what happens if the UK parliament continues to reject her withdrawal agreement.

“The mood has hardened on no deal,” said one person close to the prime minister. One Eurosceptic Conservative MP who met Mrs May on Wednesday night said: “She didn’t seem concerned about leaving with no deal.”

The prime minister refused to rule out a no-deal Brexit as she arrived in Brussels, and in her preferred scenario this could happen on June 30.

It is a massive disaster, staggering incompetence. We are heading for no deal, which would be the first time a developed economy has essentially placed sanctions on itself

But French president Emmanuel Macron said that if the British parliament fails to approve Mrs May’s Brexit deal in a vote earmarked for next week, the UK would be heading for a no-deal exit on March 29. EU leaders were on Thursday discussing an Article 50 extension, conditional on MPs approving Mrs May’s withdrawal agreement.

There is, of course, a big question over whether Mrs May would ever be allowed to let the UK crash out of the EU in the face of massive political and business opposition.

If she loses what would be the third so-called meaningful vote by MPs on her deal next week, she would be under intense pressure to resign.

Senior Europhile Conservative MPs speculated they could ultimately join with Labour to bring down the government in a vote of no confidence and force a general election, rather than allow Mrs May to — in their view — crash the economy.

The House of Commons voted this month by 413 to 202 against the UK leaving the EU without an agreement. If Mrs May refused to heed this non-binding vote, MPs could try to seize control of the parliamentary agenda to change the law to stop a no-deal exit.

“It is a massive disaster, staggering incompetence,” said one influential Conservative MP. “She is trying to keep the party together in an extraordinarily stupid way. We are heading for no deal, which would be the first time a developed economy has essentially placed sanctions on itself.”

Under the prime minister’s scenario planning, MPs have until April 11 to agree an exit deal: that is the legal cut-off date when Britain would have to legislate to take part in May’s European Parliament elections. Mrs May is adamant Britain should not take part in those elections.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1bb68fa-4bed-11e9-bbc9-6917dce3dc62