Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

have a pillow and blanket, homeless person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"Some of you guys are alright, don't go to Popeyes tomorrow."

lmao we literally do get to bring home rejected popeyes chicken sometimes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

It's a startup, they don't have to worry about things like their marketing actually working or generating revenue so why not just boost your idiot ~serial entrepreneur~ personal brand, it's not like it's your money you're spending.

Now that I actually got the chance to watch that video I'm totally sure this whole thing is just a weird stupid branding exercise for the idiot founder and his """invention""" of "entergagement"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Now that I actually got the chance to watch that video I'm totally sure this whole thing is just a weird stupid branding exercise for the idiot founder and his """invention""" of "entergagement"

Yah the whole point is to use every opportunity to seem as superficially impressive as possible until you land a job at Google or whatever

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The same resort lets you glamp in a teepee village!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pretty sure those were like the opposite of teepees

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

Pretty sure those were like the opposite of teepees

exactly. Same resort has both for maximum tastelessness.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wrong thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

should've gone with 9 line

and then transmitted it

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

this is just begging to be a causative factor in shooting accidents

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

oh I get it! that frog is a skeleton and was shot in the face, just like chris kyle!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Chris Kyle Frog Foundation also has a line of Affliction shirts.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

what did it taste like?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
the chris kyle frog foundation is the first non profit dedicated to making sure OUR TROOPS wives can steal valor and must be saluted at patriot themed fast casual dining experiences

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
American SnIPA

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
#honorchriskyle

Ok fine I'll write a book full of obvious lies about how great I am and then kill myself.

A fitting tribute.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

#honorchriskyle

Ok fine I'll write a book full of obvious lies about how great I am and then kill myself.

A fitting tribute.

gun therapy for ptsd :allears:

what a fitting end to a perfectly stupid life

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

how much more iconography can they shove into this

trident frog -- ok thats been a navy seal thing for a while, but what if we gave it punish eyes! and also a cross-hair over one of those eyes because he was a dead-eyed sniper! and also that cross-hair is also a cross!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you ask me this is one frog that can GET OUT!!!!!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

lancemantis posted:

how much more iconography can they shove into this

trident frog -- ok thats been a navy seal thing for a while, but what if we gave it punish eyes! and also a cross-hair over one of those eyes because he was a dead-eyed sniper! and also that cross-hair is also a cross!

They tried to fit the black sun and iron cross but it got too busy to notice so they scaled it back.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe I'm just a colossal nerd but all I see is

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YVi9ots7...boss+battle.png

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1108760200998203393

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here's the text of that article

quote:

A Growing Problem in Real Estate: Too Many Too Big Houses
Candace Taylor March 21, 2019

Large, high-end homes across the Sunbelt are sitting on the market, enduring deep price cuts to sell.

That is a far different picture than 15 years ago, when retirees were rushing to build elaborate, five or six-bedroom houses in warm climates, fueled in part by the easy credit of the real estate boom. Many baby boomers poured millions into these spacious homes, planning to live out their golden years in houses with all the bells and whistles.

Now, many boomers are discovering that these large, high-maintenance houses no longer fit their needs as they grow older, but younger people aren’t buying them.

Tastes—and access to credit—have shifted dramatically since the early 2000s. These days, buyers of all ages eschew the large, ornate houses built in those years in favor of smaller, more-modern looking alternatives, and prefer walkable areas to living miles from retail.

The problem is especially acute in areas with large clusters of retirees. In North Carolina’s Buncombe County, which draws retirees with its mild climate and Blue Ridge Mountain scenery, there are 34 homes priced over $2 million on the market, but only 16 sold in that price range in the past year, said Marilyn Wright, an agent at Premier Sotheby’s International Realty in Asheville.

The area around Scottsdale, Ariz., also popular with wealthy retirees, had 349 homes on the market at or above $3 million as of February 1—an all-time high, according to a Walt Danley Realty report. Homes built before 2012 are selling at steep discounts—sometimes almost 50%, and many owners end up selling for less than they paid to build their homes, said Walt Danley’s Dub Dellis.

Kiawah Island, a South Carolina beach community, currently has around 225 houses for sale, which amounts to a three- or four-year supply. Of those, the larger and more expensive homes are the hardest to sell, especially if they haven’t been renovated recently, according to local real-estate agent Pam Harrington.

The problem is expected to worsen in the 2020s, as more baby boomers across the country advance into their 70s and 80s, the age group where people typically exit homeownership due to poor health or death, said Dowell Myers, co-author of a 2018 Fannie Mae report, “The Coming Exodus of Older Homeowners.” Boomers currently own 32 million homes and account for two out of five homeowners in the country.

The Saltmans, seen here with Devy, moved to a home where all the major living areas are on one floor.Photo: Betsy Hansen for The Wall Street Journal

“You had this wave of homes built that now just don’t make sense for a lot of the people who bought them,” said Rick Palacios, Jr. of John Burns Real Estate Consulting.

For their retirement in a suburb of Asheville, N.C., Ben and Valentina Bethell spent about $3.5 million in 2009 to build their dream home: a roughly 7,500-square-foot, European-style house with a commanding view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

The Bethells said they love the home but it now feels too big, especially since their adult son visits only about once a year. Plus, tasks like pulling garbage cans up the steep, 100-yard-long driveway have become onerous, said Mr. Bethell, 78. “It’s a lot to do.”

The couple listed the home in 2015 for $4.495 million, and have since reduced the price to $3.995 million. When the house does sell, they plan to buy a newly constructed, smaller house nearby.

After retiring 15 years ago, Robin and David Saltman moved from New Jersey to Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., where they spent more than a year custom-building their dream house with a pool on the ocean. Then in their 50s, the couple planned to stay in the 3-story, five-bedroom house at least until their 80s.

Ben and Valentina Bethell spent about $3.5 million in 2009 to build their dream home: a roughly 7,500-square-foot, European-style house with a commanding view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.Photo: Erin Adams for The Wall Street Journal

Instead, they sold the roughly 4,200-square-foot house last year. Though they had an elevator, “it was still running up and down the stairs a million times a day,” said Ms. Saltman, 70. They also wanted to be closer to town; the house was about a 20-minute drive from the nearest stores.

While most high-end homes in the area sit on the market for at least a year, the Saltmans were able to sell their home—into which they’d invested about $1.75 million—in a few months for $2.1 million, with the help of their son Andrew, a real-estate agent.

In its place they bought a newer, four-bedroom house on the Intracoastal Waterway. Though it is nearly 6,000 square feet, all the major living areas are on one floor, and it is located only 5 minutes from town. They paid $1.8 million for the new house, then spent “a couple hundred thousand” renovating it. Overall, “we were happy,” Ms. Saltman said.

George and Diana Hambleton are selling their house on South Carolina’s Wadmalaw Island, about 20 minutes outside Charleston, only four years after they finished building it. An interior designer, Ms. Hambleton selected the materials for the roughly 4,200-square-foot house, including reclaimed barn wood and Wisconsin flagstone. But they are selling the approximately 3-acre property, which they loved for its creekfront location and mature oak trees, because they want “somewhere smaller where someone’s taking care of everything,” she said.

The Bethells said they love the home but it now feels too big, and tasks like pulling garbage cans up the long driveway have become onerous. They listed the home in 2015 for $4.495 million, and have since reduced the price to $3.995 million.Photo: Erin Adams for The Wall Street Journal

The couple, who relocated there from New Jersey, will likely move into an apartment in Charleston. Mr. Hambleton is “a very young 89,” his wife said, and when they built the house, “he was only 82,” so the property’s upkeep “didn’t seem like that major a thing.” But when it comes to aging, she added, “I don’t know that you face these things until you have to.”

After spending just under $3 million to build the home, they initially put it on the market for $2.99 million in 2016; the price is now $1.975 million. Ms. Hambleton, 74, said it would most likely sell for less than the cost of building it. “We will take a little bit of a hit,” she said.

Ms. Hambleton said they are frequently asked why they built the house, only to sell it so shortly afterward. “The answer is, because we wanted to,” she said. “We’ve loved being here.”

Selling Points

Design trends have shifted radically in the past decade. That means a home with crown moldings, ornate details and Mediterranean or Tuscan-style architecture can be a hard sell, while properties with clean lines and open floor plans get snapped up.

To help sell an older home in the current market, Florida real-estate agent Rose Sklar said it is crucial to make the property look as updated as possible. She recommended renovating the house before putting it on the market, especially the kitchen and bathrooms.

If a renovation isn’t in the cards financially, there are other small steps that can make a big difference, she said: remove all drapes and curtains, repaint the kitchen cabinets, and change out hardware and light fixtures for a more contemporary look.

The replacements “don’t have to be expensive—just get something that’s ‘today,’” Ms. Sklar said. “Get rid of the datedness of the house.” Stage the house with rental furniture if possible, and remove all family photos and other personal items to help buyers envision themselves there. Finally: “If you have a pet, hide it,” she said. “Everybody’s allergic to everything.”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was paid under the table to do a bunch of AV/network wiring in some idiot failson boomers home and yeah i can't see anybody ever really wanting to buy that over-budget rube monstrosity; manchild decisions everywhere and probably a bunch of stuff that will be annoyingly obsolete in less than a decade

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Siljmonster posted:

what did it taste like?

Who cares, I'ma just line them up on a rickety old fence out back and shoot them. It's what he would have wanted.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:signings:

I love how casually they're talking about 20-50% losses. At the same time, I find it very hard to pity them.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well its also fun to think about considering they're going to die anytime at that point and who the gently caress cares you can't take it with you you greedy protestant gently caress

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Can't believe millenials are killing the homemade mansion business, is nothing sacred for them?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

My kingdom for a small mid-cenutry ranch house with an Arizona Room like the one my friends are in. Still 4 bedrooms, but far less sprawling than the monstrosities, even among tract homes in da 'burbs, to say nothing of the sprawling McMansions.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Warmachine posted:

:signings:

I love how casually they're talking about 20-50% losses. At the same time, I find it very hard to pity them.

because it's funny money, like sure to a rube like you or me a couple of million dollars seems like a princely sum, but it's probably not even half of their worth. Plus even if it was, it was never real money, just something to leverage against to buy the next thing (that you'll then leverage)

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Have they tried pulling themselves up by their bootstraps? If not, thoughts and prayers.

It's because of you old fucks that my simple, 1200sqft house / 10,000 sqft property cost way more than what its really worth. But if I'm going to be paying $2500 a month in rent, I sure as poo poo will be owning something.

I hate being pushed out of my home town because of these fucks. They tore down all the small houses in my area and replaced them with McMansions. gently caress them all. You wanted Capitalism, enjoy reaping the rewards. I look forward to not helping the boomers when it all comes crashing down.

Solar Coaster has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Mar 22, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/1096241175839821824

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

KiteAuraan posted:

My kingdom for a small mid-cenutry ranch house with an Arizona Room like the one my friends are in. Still 4 bedrooms, but far less sprawling than the monstrosities, even among tract homes in da 'burbs, to say nothing of the sprawling McMansions.

This is basically exactly the house I somehow managed to buy last year and I can confirm it owns so hard. I'm 33 and I'm going to live here until I die.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
The real poo poo thing is (rich) boomer fuckery doesn't stop with them trying to make a profit on their garbage houses. As the article notes, those same people are buying the smaller places that would be more affordable, cutting other generations out of yet more housing and driving up rent.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I bought a sandwich from a grocery store in Japan, and when I took it back to my friend's apartment and opened it, the entire inside of the sandwich was empty. Like there was just a half-inch deep facade of toppings around the front edge.

I've never felt so thoroughly owned.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Real kobe beef is about as filling as eating sticks of butter

That's plenty for two servings

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Real kobe beef is about as filling as eating sticks of butter

That's plenty for two servings

That really isn't the issue, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Okay but mac and cheese burgers are good if you're drunk