Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

edit: looks like the map generator mod is still being developed for importing custom/random maps to use in Holy Fury's random modes

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I drew this map and now I'm playing on it. Mod is good :honked:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is extremely cool. The devs should integrate it into the base game like they did with the shattered world mod.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So it turns out that Aurelio has been serving Satan, and even he didn't know about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Last time I played as King Halfdan of Jorvik, maybe a year or two ago, when I finished the starting war I took control of all territory I occupied. This is as stated in the peace screen. But I started a Jorvik game just now and for some reason I only took Northumberland in the peace. Did they change this at some point or am I misremembering?

edit: Oh, was that only for northumberland land you ended up directly controlling instead of keeping the existing nobility? I could've sworn you could take some of the land to your south in that war but I guess I was mistaken.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 18, 2019

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Recently got back into the game and have a situation that I cannot figure out.

I am the Petty King of Wessex. I recently noticed that my son and heir, age 12, is somehow a prisoner of the Petty King of Mercia. No idea how he it happened. Rest of my family is safely at home. The kid did not have any land or titles that I know of.

I do not see any explanation for how or why this happened. There also doesn’t seem to be an option to random him or free him. Even switched to intrigue. The only idea I see is to keep sending him gold to pay his own ransom but he already has 174.

Wish the game would explain this or at least give a pop up when it happens.

Any ideas on what is going on or what I can do?

Edit: the King of Mercia is also listed as his liege...wtf?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Recently got back into the game and have a situation that I cannot figure out.

I am the Petty King of Wessex. I recently noticed that my son and heir, age 12, is somehow a prisoner of the Petty King of Mercia. No idea how he it happened. Rest of my family is safely at home. The kid did not have any land or titles that I know of.

I do not see any explanation for how or why this happened. There also doesn’t seem to be an option to random him or free him. Even switched to intrigue. The only idea I see is to keep sending him gold to pay his own ransom but he already has 174.

Wish the game would explain this or at least give a pop up when it happens.

Any ideas on what is going on or what I can do?

Edit: the King of Mercia is also listed as his liege...wtf?

The liege part is normal, as he's in his domain and prisoners somewhat count as landless vassals or something. Either way, it does pop up that way in general iirc.
Apart from him being invited to their court (maybe due to a marriage?) and then imprisoned, there's also a chance that he was imprisoned by a society power, the devil worshippers do have this option from rank 2 onwards.

As long as he neither owns part of your land nor will inherit your stuff you generally are not informed about this kind of stuff, unless he dies. No idea why you can't ransom in out though, even though he doesn't count as your vassal without any land you should be able to ransom your son at any time, but I might be wrong on that.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Hm well so tried to give him a little more money and he was immediately released, although not sure if that mattered because he still has the money.

Weird thing is that he came home mutilated and insane, and Mercia is still his liege.

Maybe this is all just a bug?

Edit: I also noticed that my son has a positive modifier with the King of Mercia, ‘spared after rebellion.’ But that still doesn’t explain how he would come to leave my court, become the vassal of a foreign king, and rebel.

He also lists the Mercian king as his educator.

And since he somehow has Mercia as his liege I don’t seem to have an ability to plot against him to try to get rid of him.

Also...one of the few options I have for my son is Assign Guardian, but the King of Mercia says ‘no’ because then he would be ‘hostage to a foreign power,’ ie: his own king and father...???

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 19, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Hm well so tried to give him a little more money and he was immediately released, although not sure if that mattered because he still has the money.

Weird thing is that he came home mutilated and insane, and Mercia is still his liege.

Maybe this is all just a bug?

Edit: I also noticed that my son has a positive modifier with the King of Mercia, ‘spared after rebellion.’ But that still doesn’t explain how he would come to leave my court, become the vassal of a foreign king, and rebel.

He also lists the Mercian king as his educator.

And since he somehow has Mercia as his liege I don’t seem to have an ability to plot against him to try to get rid of him.

Also...one of the few options I have for my son is Assign Guardian, but the King of Mercia says ‘no’ because then he would be ‘hostage to a foreign power,’ ie: his own king and father...???

That means that he got mutilated in prison, which causes the direct mutliation plus can have side effects like insanity, depression etc., plus health going down considerably.
As soon as he is mutilated by his captors he instantly gets released and his imprisonment is over, unless you turned it off in the game settings (which disables achievements, as it's sort of cheating).
That's why he instantly got out and still has the money. The guy is then still his liege because after being out of prison he still is at the same court, he does not leave unless invited to another court (if he's able to leave, which he may be not, eg if he's married matrilinearily to a daughter of his liege).

Same for the guardian thing. He is being educated at that court and counts as courtier there, so you cannot assign him another guardian as he's not inside your realm.

How he went to the other guy's court, was landed and then rebelled without success and without you noticing, losing that rebellion and then being imprisoned though stays a mystery.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is it possible he somehow inherited land in Mercia that was rebelling at the time? If that happened and the rebellion then failed, he'd be a vassal and prisoner of Mercia and they'd probably have cause to revoke his title. Does he have any otherwise inexplicable county claims?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just took over most of Italy through invasions and gave it to some random vassal and gave him independence. Just so I could have some other independant state with my culture and religion.

I think I might be a blob.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I'm relatively new to this game so I'm sure most people have seen these before, but man a lot of these events still crack me up. My guy has 26 diplo and still can't figure out a better solution than throwing the first woman within pushing range towards the Chinese engineer.

Also, Navarra has been an interesting experience, but I definitely blobbed way too quickly after I accidentally inherited the entire kingdom of France from the Karlings. Was hoping to explore the reconquista mechanics a little more but oh well!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sometimes I get a bit carried away:

also the Abbasids were just hit with a series of decedence revolts so the Middle East is a bit of a mess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've had a lot of rulers like that. honestly, if you start holy warring or, worse, raiding, you will get absolute scads of prisoners and none of them will be any help to you whatsoever. you are better off killing them just to simplify your life. the 50 gold or whatever you get for getting hold of someone's kid is barely worth your time when you are making 100+ a month.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Coolguye posted:

you are better off killing them just to simplify your life.

True CK2 player right here

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

trapped mouse posted:

I'm relatively new to this game so I'm sure most people have seen these before, but man a lot of these events still crack me up. My guy has 26 diplo and still can't figure out a better solution than throwing the first woman within pushing range towards the Chinese engineer.

So...why was he disappointed?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_puoy1JKKQ

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What's up with Muslims and their event troops? The Abbasids shattered from a decadence revolt, and there's a small kingdom centered around Baghdad that has 45k troops, 30k of them being event troops. I beat them in two wars and got their event troops down to 10k, but now I just checked and its back up to almost 30k again. It's going to make cracking the Muslim world with holy wars nearly impossible if they get free attritionless troops like that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

All right, the new feature is very cool. I've written about wanting something like this several times, in several incarnations of this thread.

There are more than 20 great works to build, but not all of them will be available to every ruler. You can't build a great mosque if you're not a Muslim, for example. Some are also "hidden", whatever that means. Perhaps you need a certain bloodline to build them/they are only buildable in certain provinces (like a great harbor for example needs to be in a coastal province)/you need to have certain special titles (like Roman Emperor, HRE, Slavic Emperor)?

Nomads are banned from building some works, but they also have some great works for themselves. So it seems certain that your government form will influence which works are available to you.

There are also historical great works, like Petra, Stonehenge, the Pyramids, etc.

No Hagia Sophia :(

I take it all back, the feature is trash. If you play as an animal, the statues will still be human. Boo!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Torrannor posted:

All right, the new feature is very cool. I've written about wanting something like this several times, in several incarnations of this thread.

There are more than 20 great works to build, but not all of them will be available to every ruler. You can't build a great mosque if you're not a Muslim, for example. Some are also "hidden", whatever that means. Perhaps you need a certain bloodline to build them/they are only buildable in certain provinces (like a great harbor for example needs to be in a coastal province)/you need to have certain special titles (like Roman Emperor, HRE, Slavic Emperor)?

Nomads are banned from building some works, but they also have some great works for themselves. So it seems certain that your government form will influence which works are available to you.

There are also historical great works, like Petra, Stonehenge, the Pyramids, etc.

No Hagia Sophia :(

I take it all back, the feature is trash. If you play as an animal, the statues will still be human. Boo!

I thought this was absolutely amazing, then realized that I cannot build a white walker work in the got overhaul, left disappointed and will file law suit against discrimination right now.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

What's up with Muslims and their event troops? The Abbasids shattered from a decadence revolt, and there's a small kingdom centered around Baghdad that has 45k troops, 30k of them being event troops. I beat them in two wars and got their event troops down to 10k, but now I just checked and its back up to almost 30k again. It's going to make cracking the Muslim world with holy wars nearly impossible if they get free attritionless troops like that.

What year? He could be a descendant of Seljuk or something just based on the area and rank. If that's the case he just keeps getting event troops iirc, sorry.

Also assuming you're Catholic you can just hire holy orders which are leagues better than any event spawn by virtue of composition alone.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I dislike that you can't remove them outright. Mainly the Rome wonder, since it's so closely tied to the Papacy. If I burn Rome to rid it of all those pesky churches that should be included. I do wonder if there will be any flavor to taking them as certain religions though, since they hinted at say Khemetic religion being added, they would obviously care about retaking the Pyramids.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Vengarr posted:

So...why was he disappointed?

She's a lesbian.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there a way to duplicate your old patch game files (2.8) onto your desktop, while letting the main game update to (3.0) - so that I have two different versions of CK2 to play with (and so I don't have to kiss hundreds of hours of modding goodbye?)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

True CK2 player right here

last time my empress became maga of the hermetics i went through the entire list of every person i could make my apprentice and then made them my apprentice for a grand total of 2 seconds apiece

why? because that was the only way i could be sure nobody was tossing satan's salad.

i do not loving want cancer again.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
There are no events for breaking up the empire after Charlemangnes death? It seems that it is way too stable.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hryme posted:

There are no events for breaking up the empire after Charlemangnes death? It seems that it is way too stable.

Doesn't it kinda to it all by itself just following the history though? Since Charlemagne actually thought (and was forced to do so) using division of his Empire would be a fine way to deal with the heritage problem, it usually breaks down to smaller parts in no time. The same does happen in CK2, too.
Unless of course you mean actually breaking apart entirely, destroying the entire Empire into a terribly high amount of pieces, that is admittedly hard to do, but that's mainly due to the historical facts, the comparably quick founding of France and its direct predecessor realms and the geography making building a rather stable Empire relatively easy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Only if it's only a kingdom and not a fully declared empire, and then only if Charlemagne has more than one kid when he dies.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

SlothfulCobra posted:

Only if it's only a kingdom and not a fully declared empire, and then only if Charlemagne has more than one kid when he dies.

I just assumed he would have more than one children, but I honestly do not know how historic CK2 is at that. Didn't know the Kingdom part though, that makes it indeed a tough nut to crack.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

karl has no kids to begin with in the 769 start, and if you're playing pretty much anyone who's not karl one of the things you hope for is that he has two sons or three sons fairly quickly so you can assassinate him when gavelkind.txt is still in affect. this will splinter the crowns he has and make western europe a lot more fragmented. he just uses the same mechanics that everyone else does when it comes to reproduction though, so you can rely on him to get a fertile wife, but since he leads his own armies and does a lot of stuff that keeps him away from court, sometimes he takes a long time to breed. that said, just so long as karl doesn't form the HRE you're probably fine; a single inheritor will be quite strong, but he will also be the target of pretty much every motherfucker with an eye on central europe, so he will be eating prepared invasions like crazy once 800 rolls around and the gemanic pagans get their boats. the wake of one of these wars is a fantastic time to make a big move - like, say, heading an independence faction, or declaring war to extort tribute. and without the extra HRE mechanics that the AI doesn't game as easily, obviously there will always be the problem of pissy vassals.

if he forms the HRE that's a big problem because the HRE tends to be a lot more stable than other empires, and that also implies that he got lombardy and all of france, so the emperor will have at least 20k dudes in his back pocket - comparable to the dreaded abbasid blob, but without the decadence mechanics to put a time bomb on it.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
99% of my time playing CK2 is in the earliest start and I think I remember one or two games where Karl was not able to form an empire. It makes the game really boring. I should move to next start date I think.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
The earliest date is kind of bad gameplay-wise imo with some exceptions, and CK2 really doesn't model the period very well. I like the middle one most atm

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you don't start at the earliest date you will never have that WTF moment when you get the "Karloman has formed the HRE" message 15 years in

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Or you could just console play and kill the Karlings/Abbasids and split up their realms between vassals. Or play as Byzantium/Mideast/Central Asia.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just make a mod of the 769 start date boom

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a nomad LP going on that's aiming to be a Paradox mega LP (CK2 -> EUIV -> Victoria, etc.). It's not a vanilla game, the main mod is HIP. Check it out if you're interested, especially if you want to learn more about nomad gameplay.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885401

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Nomad is probably the easiest way to play the game if you can deal with the tedious clicking after conquering anything.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hryme posted:

99% of my time playing CK2 is in the earliest start and I think I remember one or two games where Karl was not able to form an empire. It makes the game really boring. I should move to next start date I think.

Really? I'm the same way and occasionally he'll make the empire of France but usually he dies too soon. And the HRE I've still never seen get created organically.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Really? I'm the same way and occasionally he'll make the empire of France but usually he dies too soon. And the HRE I've still never seen get created organically.

I've seen it happen once. It entirely depends on how the divorce event goes - if the wife goes anywhere other than Lombardy, then the HRE won't form. The AI needs that CB to get all the required territory in time, since it doesn't know how to play the long game. Once Karl dies, that's it. Europe is a thunderdome forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've seen it happen once. It entirely depends on how the divorce event goes - if the wife goes anywhere other than Lombardy, then the HRE won't form. The AI needs that CB to get all the required territory in time, since it doesn't know how to play the long game. Once Karl dies, that's it. Europe is a thunderdome forever now.

I haven't done it in forever, but it used to be that one of the requirements for forming the HRE was also for the pope to have 100 opinion of you. I think that is probably a pretty big hurdle for the AI.