Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do planets regrow at all? Or is there a finite amount of wood and leaves and food in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JuffoWup posted:

Did you clear the chunk on top that is pure?

How is that supposed to work? I thought from the miners outline that it slotted onto the lump in the middle. Do I have to chip it away or something?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

Oh, wow, it is imperative you go exploring and find those hard drives in wrecked explorer pods. The alternative recipes they give out are way more efficient than the standard ones, I am having much more throughput with what was my worst bottleneck, reinforced iron plates.

The alternate recipe for Encased Industrial Beam doesn't seem very useful, at least it uses more raw materials. The original recipe calls for 4 Steel Beam and 5 Concrete. The alternate calls for 18 Steel Pipe and 10 Concrete. Each Steel Beam costs 3 ingots, and each Steel Pipe costs 1 ingot. So the alternate recipe takes 33% more steel and 100% more concrete.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ratzap posted:

How is that supposed to work? I thought from the miners outline that it slotted onto the lump in the middle. Do I have to chip it away or something?

Yes, go up to it and you should have the option of e to chip at it. It'll eventually break. Then you can place the miner. It is dumb, but that is how it works.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It's confusing because it states in the miner details that they produce slower or faster based on the purity of the node, and then they place a pure chunk on top but you can't put your miner on it.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

nielsm posted:

The alternate recipe for Encased Industrial Beam doesn't seem very useful, at least it uses more raw materials. The original recipe calls for 4 Steel Beam and 5 Concrete. The alternate calls for 18 Steel Pipe and 10 Concrete. Each Steel Beam costs 3 ingots, and each Steel Pipe costs 1 ingot. So the alternate recipe takes 33% more steel and 100% more concrete.

I can't confirm but in these cases it usually produces more product for slightly more input

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

It's confusing because it states in the miner details that they produce slower or faster based on the purity of the node, and then they place a pure chunk on top but you can't put your miner on it.

The error message doesn't help either. Just a generic entity error instead of something more clear. I had the same trouble during the weekend test until I went and researched to find out why.

Hopefully there are some better tools in the future that I just haven't unlocked or something. For example, the random limestone rocks lying about you can't mine unless accidentally when wielding the chainsaw on some bush/tree nearby. I've also got this idea that in the future, I'd like to reuse this dump depot I'm using for coal for other remote stuff. But I suspect there isn't a sorter to separate them from the single conveyor that comes off the station.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Atoramos posted:

I can't confirm but in these cases it usually produces more product for slightly more input

That is correct, the output is usually much higher, like three reinforced steel plates instead of one for just two more iron plate inputs and the same amount of screws. This changed one of my big bottlenecks into a surplus.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I really quite badly want to know how to get rid of big rocks. I've got a giant rock sitting right on top of a pure iron ore vein right next to my coal colony. I could be shipping sweet-sweet steel back but I gotta ship back raw coal 'cause of this dumb rock. Nothing in the tech tree I've unlocked looks obviously like a rock clearer.

ninjewtsu posted:

Do planets regrow at all? Or is there a finite amount of wood and leaves and food in the world
They definitely regrow. I've had a tree pop up right in the "road" I cleared to my base before. I guess I gotta pave everything to keep that poo poo from happening in the woods.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't think berries and nuts regrow, though, do they?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Once you pick an alternate recipe after decoding a hard drive in the mam, how do you actually set that recipe in a machine? All I ever see are the originals.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Once you pick an alternate recipe after decoding a hard drive in the mam, how do you actually set that recipe in a machine? All I ever see are the originals.

You also need to unlock it in the HUB as a milestone.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Speedball posted:

I don't think berries and nuts regrow, though, do they?

They definitely regrow. I even chainsawed a nutbush that was in the way and it was back in an hour, and I've returned to previously spent bushes for healing a couple of times.

I think repopping plants do a clearance check like plopping buildings does so you don't get a tree growing back in the middle of a machine, but that's it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

zxqv8 posted:

Yeah my buddy and I started a game in the desert and all our ore nodes are pure and the t1 miners produce 120/min :stare:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Enjoying this so far. I love the To Do List giving you totals of how much materials you need, it's really nice for me since I seem to be incapable of calculating this poo poo on my own. I kind of wish you could just click on the craft button and it would craft a single item without having to hold the button down though.

Also those loving bees! :argh:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Those loving bees mean it's not safe to leave your zapper at home and just take the rebar gun.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Atoramos posted:

Re-checked, and yeah it actually produces 3 output for those inputs I listed, so for 1.5x steel and 2x concrete you get 3x output.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JuffoWup posted:

Yes, go up to it and you should have the option of e to chip at it. It'll eventually break. Then you can place the miner. It is dumb, but that is how it works.

Ugh. Thanks, that really is dumb and needs explaining by the game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Exploring in this game is a lot of fun, if kind of a pain in the rear end at times (gently caress those blue and orange bee plants). I found a really spectacular rock formation overlooking the dark and dismal foggy swamp that I found oil in and I decided to build a winding walkway around it to get up to the top, and when I did a bunch of those drat bushy tailed hogs burst out of the foliage and those blue stilt plants that make toxic gas when they're upset got upset.

So I'm on top of a precarious mesa, cliffs all around, inside a cloud of deadly gas with a bunch of knockback monsters trying to push me off.

So I hastily built a lookout tower and hid up there till things calmed down, then plinked away at the monsters with my gun to get rid of them. The view was incredible, and I found a purple slug, which I didn't even know existed. I also learned later that there was a jumping puzzle to get up around the outside of this rock formation I had totally missed.

The most fun bit is it turns out I can see this rock all the way from my base. It was just a dark shape on the horizon before, but now it's a dark shape with a watchtower on it and I get to remember my adventure every time I catch a glimpse of it.

Xerophyte posted:

They definitely regrow. I even chainsawed a nutbush that was in the way and it was back in an hour, and I've returned to previously spent bushes for healing a couple of times.

I think repopping plants do a clearance check like plopping buildings does so you don't get a tree growing back in the middle of a machine, but that's it.
It should be noted that the "clearance check" or whatever seems to prevent bushes that you preserve from growing new fruit if machines are too close by.

I tried to keep a bush alive in the middle of my factory and it has yet to regrow its nuts.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Progress!

How much coal does a power plant actually consume?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Just so I can be sure of how belt rates and splitters and everything works, if a miner is on pure and can mine 120/m, but normal belts can push, what, 60/m? So at most I can get 60 ore per minute out of that node no matter what until I get better belts right? Then if I split it, I have two belts pushing 30, or 3 pushing 20 correct?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

How much coal does a power plant actually consume?

Eating one coal takes 5.4s when running at 100%, which equates to 11.111... coal/minute. Incidentally, 5.4s to eat one coal means that a mk1 belt (and a 60 coal/s mine) can support 5.4 generators, which turned out to be an issue for my base.

Aside: apparently under/overclocking generators only changes their burn rate, but the J/item remains the same.

Glagha posted:

Just so I can be sure of how belt rates and splitters and everything works, if a miner is on pure and can mine 120/m, but normal belts can push, what, 60/m? So at most I can get 60 ore per minute out of that node no matter what until I get better belts right? Then if I split it, I have two belts pushing 30, or 3 pushing 20 correct?

Correct. You can however underclock the miner after researching your first slug, and set it to run at 50% for 30 items/second at 1/3 the power cost of an impure deposit doing the same. This is very useful when you're power limited, which is quite a lot of the time.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
On a related note, does fauna respawn? Is there any reason not to render my carapaces down into biomass (post nailgun research)?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so during the alpha weekend, one of the last things i did was build a big factory structure over a valley. i thought it'd be neat to use the valley underneath as a trucking area, and then belt the raw materials to the factory above for processing.

what i found out halfway through making the factory is that the giant flying manta ray just so happens to fly directly through where i was building my factory. the manta ray had no collision though, so i figured hey, no big deal, just a terrifying jetnoise every 5 minutes, no reason to pack up all the work i've already done.

well, now that i'm continuing that save in early access, i've found that while the manta still doesn't collide with structures, it does collide with me.

i learned this when i was expanding the factory, only for the manta to suddenly come out of the floor under me and carry me away

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phobeste posted:

Yeah my buddy and I started a game in the desert and all our ore nodes are pure and the t1 miners produce 120/min :stare:

I started a desert game just to see how different it was and man, all these plateaus and cliffs in the way make it a way different experience than the plains. I found a lake and started building a huge platform over it just to have a place to put the space elevator, and the nearest coal is way far the hell away and is straight up a cliff (there's a path there you could take by foot or driving, but it's guarded by all those poison gas plants) so I either need to use trucks to ship coal to my main base or start a fresh base up there. And possibly build a giant ramp or stairs leading up there.

All these mesas and plateaus did encourage me to try building more jump pads and gel landing pads to get around though, and those are fun as hell.

The desert description says there's less biomass, but there's still plenty to be found. I think the shrubs that grow there are just worth less leaves and wood than the junk in the plains.

And supposedly these three starting positions are all on the same map, so god drat how huge is this world? Didn't someone say like 30 x 30 kilometers? That's big. I don't care if the game isn't randomized, there's enough poo poo to get lost in you could easily have a ton of different games with the same start.

Ixjuvin posted:

On a related note, does fauna respawn? Is there any reason not to render my carapaces down into biomass (post nailgun research)?

I don't...think so? Most of the fauna seems to be guarding unique loot like slugs or resource nodes (or paths) and maybe they thought it would be a hassle to re-fight them.

Whatever "alien organs" are used for doesn't seem to be implemented yet. Hopefully either a lot of biomass or a way to get health back.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 21, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's a beautiful forest of giant, pink-leafed trees in one corner of the map

during alpha weekend, i made a point to climb over there, only to discover that the area was still obviously incomplete, with the trees lacking any kind of collision and a nearby river having floating numbers above its bends (numbered river nodes i guess?)

i went and checked that place out again today, and all of those problems are still there. i certainly don't begrudge the devs for having an incomplete area in EA: honestly, if they had invisible walls around the plains biome, the gameworld would still be loving massive. but it did get me wondering: has anyone else found any other areas that are obviously incomplete?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I went out exploring and found out how to get to the forest starting area from the plains, and the pink leaf forest, and assorted other things. The map is real big and seems very well designed to make stuff like coal interesting, I can't say I think the lack of procedural generation is going to hurt me any. Maybe I'll only play the game for maybe a hundred hours or so before thinking I've seen it all, how positively awful.

I also found some uranium ore, mined it and then got the full Marie Curie in 15 seconds flat. Pitchblende is apparently really potent on Satisfactoryworld.

I should probably get started on this "steel" stuff I've been hearing about.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That looks sweet!

How do people normally go about laying longish belts? If you put the tower down first it might not reach, but it you don't it will stay along the ground...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Speedball posted:

And supposedly these three starting positions are all on the same map, so god drat how huge is this world? Didn't someone say like 30 x 30 kilometers? That's big. I don't care if the game isn't randomized, there's enough poo poo to get lost in you could easily have a ton of different games with the same start.

If you take about 1000 rods and 500 plates, you can build a space escalator (ramps) high enough to get a pretty decent view of the whole map. It's definitely the same map, but I do wish the spawn points were a bit more randomized. I've restarted a few times on the plains biome, and every time I've ended up across the same 3 iron deposit with 2 concrete and fairly nearby copper without even trying. And yes, it's probably the one you're thinking of, careful of the somewhat nearby poison rocks.

Speedball posted:

Whatever "alien organs" are used for doesn't seem to be implemented yet. Hopefully either a lot of biomass or a way to get health back.

You can burn it directly, it's only 250MJ though

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

How do people normally go about laying longish belts? If you put the tower down first it might not reach, but it you don't it will stay along the ground...

I've been just trying to make the belt as long as it will allow along the terrain, then swapping to the posts and placing that at the limit I found with the belt.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

Yeah, when I first heard non-randomised world I was a bit put off, but once I saw it it reminded me a lot of Subnautica. That game similarly had a huge map with diverse biomes to explore, and it was very easy to get lost even when you were well familiar with the maps. It let them hand-craft the entire game world, and the location of everything could be recorded and shared, for better or worse.

Randomness doesn't really add content to a game. What it achieves is making sure that every play through maintains the same searching element - whether for resources or enemies - no matter how well you know the game, at the cost of being able to design every corner of the world.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The very non-random nature of the starts might make the game interesting for the speedrunning community, not really a bad thing.

I think I might some kind of sorting machine, e.g. one input, three outputs, puts items of one chosen type on first output, second chosen type on second output, and all other types on third output. It could make it viable to use trucks to transport a variety of items over long distances.
Also a customizable ratio splitter, so you don't have to make crazy chains of splits-merges (or wait until one belt backs up) to get a non-equal distribution.

Finally, I just discovered you can upgrade belts in place. Just select a different belt type and point to the existing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
For a game about automation, the power side is pretty weak. Each mine/smelter/constructor costs 12ish MW to run and those power towers are limited to 4 connections so I haven't tried seeing if you can share the supplies somehow yet. I spend most time between upgrade hurdles gathering stuff for the generator gods - It feels like I'm burning more leaf per day than all the hippies in California combined.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ratzap posted:

For a game about automation, the power side is pretty weak. Each mine/smelter/constructor costs 12ish MW to run and those power towers are limited to 4 connections so I haven't tried seeing if you can share the supplies somehow yet. I spend most time between upgrade hurdles gathering stuff for the generator gods - It feels like I'm burning more leaf per day than all the hippies in California combined.

this is the worst decision i think they make about the early game and i hate it BUT: you will very quickly outgrow this once you get to coal.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

You don't quite get the big picture, but yeah it is pretty explicit.

I hope as you send more and more poo poo into space the sky gets darker and darker until there is no more sun at all and you realize you were helping build a massive dyson sphere. Then Ficsit sends a shuttle to pick you up and off you go to the expansion planet.

Or you just stuff yourself into the payload and launch yourself into space.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 22, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

nielsm posted:

I think I might some kind of sorting machine, e.g. one input, three outputs, puts items of one chosen type on first output, second chosen type on second output, and all other types on third output. It could make it viable to use trucks to transport a variety of items over long distances.
Also a customizable ratio splitter, so you don't have to make crazy chains of splits-merges (or wait until one belt backs up) to get a non-equal distribution.

The game definitely needs a sorter of some kind, yeah, so I can just dump all my poo poo into one container, have it spread throughout the facility and get processed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I hope they don’t go a route where you have to suddenly fight the corp by just building a factory - it feels like it would just borrow from a lot of similar set ups (Portal immediately springs to mind in terms of plot-feel). While Ficsit clearly has that horrible mega Corp edge, there’s a weird positivity to the whole game and I think it would be cheap to try to throw that out for an easy “villain” to a game like this.

The real villain is the critical path of your factory.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Welp, I think I beat the game. The early access content at least. Got a computer factory running and... that's it. Researched jetpacks with the computers and now there's no reason to expand my factory any more.

I hope there's a resource sink at the end of the real game. It feels bad for there to be no reason to optimize things. At least let me dump these computers somewhere to run up the "score" or something else meaningless but vaguely productive feeling. I filled a whole crate with engines in the time it took me to set up my oil/plastics and other computer stuff and... there's nothing to do with it. The whole engine production line sits idle now and I don't like that.

Still, that was fun as heck! I got 24 hours out of it in three days. I can see myself starting over at some point just 'cause I want more beautiful 3D factory antics. I could have done a lot more exploring, but without a factory to go back to expand later I think I'll leave it for now.

Exploring is really fun in this game because you can spend hours poking around random rock formations and fighting monsters and stuff and when you get back to your factory it's produced hundreds of top tier materials all on its own while you were gone. It's a really good dynamic.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

this is the worst decision i think they make about the early game and i hate it BUT: you will very quickly outgrow this once you get to coal.

I got coal, made a tractor but it won't move when I get in. I checked and it says it takes any fuel. Since I can't find a place to insert said fuel I asume it takes from my inventory? I have biofuel and coal on me but it stays put.

So I went and found a coal deposit instead but that's on top of a pillar of rock. I built a ramp up to it for whenever I find out how to get the tractor to start.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Ratzap posted:

I got coal, made a tractor but it won't move when I get in. I checked and it says it takes any fuel. Since I can't find a place to insert said fuel I asume it takes from my inventory? I have biofuel and coal on me but it stays put.

So I went and found a coal deposit instead but that's on top of a pillar of rock. I built a ramp up to it for whenever I find out how to get the tractor to start.

on the back of a tractor is a workbench type thing, and you should be able to access it to insert fuel in using that. Alternatively, you should be able to load fuel in if you build the tractor in the vehicle stop active zone and the vehicle stop has a fuel source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Speedball posted:

The game definitely needs a sorter of some kind, yeah, so I can just dump all my poo poo into one container, have it spread throughout the facility and get processed.

This exists.