Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Blizzard utterly suck at story telling. They always have and will.

I played Warcraft two for the game, not for some third rate fantasy novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Now that Metzen is gone, they could get better! Barring the recent trend of Activision asserting dominance.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

someone tell me bad things about sekiro

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

People badly want it to be a souls game.

It's not a souls game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What do you mean "corruption did it" isn't a compelling narrative?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Foul Ole Ron posted:

People badly want it to be a souls game.

It's not a souls game.

:getin:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i, too, want it to be a souls game, but at the same time i've never played a from game that i didn't really enjoy and i played eternal ring

they're pretty much the only studio where i am farily confident that even if i have trouble getting into the game there'll be enough depth and fun and secrets there to make it an experience worth playing at some point

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

i, too, want it to be a souls game, but at the same time i've never played a from game that i didn't really enjoy and i played eternal ring

they're pretty much the only studio where i am farily confident that even if i have trouble getting into the game there'll be enough depth and fun and secrets there to make it an experience worth playing at some point

Its still not a souls game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I love souls games yet I don't want sekiro to be another souls game

but it absolutely is a souls game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From the previews I've read there isn't much build variety, which is a shame

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Hey, the hammy voice acting in the warcraft 2 briefings is a huge part of my love for that outdated mess. I couldn't give two figs what the words being read were, but boy howdy the dev team making goofy voices worked out really well all over that game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I feel pretty confident that it will be a cool and fun experience

Still not preordering it though, because i am not a moron

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The adventures of Marius in Diablo 2 was pretty good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

google stadia is the absolute dumbest fuckin' idea and it's a shame because the good ideas (local splitscreen with no loss of fidelity, playable on almost any screen) are going to be overshadowed by the fact that the US has some of the shoddiest network infrastructure in the world

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1. it's not out yet
2. I'm not playing it right now

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey, the hammy voice acting in the warcraft 2 briefings is a huge part of my love for that outdated mess. I couldn't give two figs what the words being read were, but boy howdy the dev team making goofy voices worked out really well all over that game.

Yeah that's all fun until you realize that literally any postpubescent male is capable of doing any male Warcraft character voice

Seriously, you, your dad, and your 15 year old nephew could each singlehandedly replace the VAs for the orcs, peasants, Uther, and lich king

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah that's all fun until you realize that literally any postpubescent male is capable of doing any male Warcraft character voice

Seriously, you, your dad, and your 15 year old nephew could each singlehandedly replace the VAs for the orcs, peasants, Uther, and lich king

I mean, yeah. It's a bunch of dorks playing with microphones because hiring voice actors wasn't something that got done back then. And it fits really well with the cartoony aesthetic the graphics present.
Just because it's not done by trained voice professionals or hard to do doesn't make it any less fun.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There is nothing wrong with an "afterschool d&d game" kind of storytelling and voice acting in games, if you want a real story with voice acting go see a play or something idk.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Time_pants posted:

Because Enter the Gungeon is slow-paced, stingy as hell with keys and even stingier with good weapons, has like maybe two bosses that are actually fun to fight, none of the characters are all that meaningfully different from each other after like the second floor, the player never feels powerful short of lucking into one of maybe three or four guns in the entire game, and it seems like the entire design philosophy is to thwart the player rather than challenge the player.

And, no, the content and balance patches and the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns release didn't fix this.

Almost every run I did in that game I felt like a demigod after the 4th floor especially if I was playing the pilot. Some characters were worse (robot and marine always felt pretty stingy on ammo which hampered the runs to the end).

With that said, I agree with you for the first maybe 20 hours i.e before you unlock most of the guns from the store.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/VZPMhte.gifv

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
30 FPS is fine if the game is good.
60+ FPS doesn't matter if the game is bad.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

overshadowed by the fact that the US has some of the shoddiest network infrastructure in the world

Oh, I disagree. :australia:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Blizzard sucks now

Valve Sucks now

Bioware sucks now

Those guys that did Halo sucks now

But iD/Bethesda software is having a resurgance, which I love. Doom 2016 was one of the best games released that year and one of the best shooters EVER made. The sequel looks to be even cooler

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 22, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGq8Ee2gOe4&t=1095s

Everything from 18:15 onward is basically exactly what I want out of games. The fact that the audience goes completely nuts at the end as well is soooo good. That's what you want your audience to do when you showcase a game. Not the horrible silence when you introduce your latest mobile phone cashin like Blizzard did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly10r6m_-n8

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 22, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Blizzard sucks now

Valve Sucks now

Bioware sucks now

Those guys that did Halo sucks now

But iD/Bethesda software is having a resurgance, which I love. Doom 2016 was one of the best games released that year and one of the best shooters EVER made. The sequel looks to be even cooler

you clearly hadn't been paying very close attention to Bethesda lately

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Ah yes Bethesda's grand resurgence of Fallout 76

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Ah yes Bethesda's grand resurgence of Fallout 76

there's never been a better time for bethesda to fire todd howard

do that and a resurgence is almost guaranteed

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

there's never been a better time for bethesda to fire todd howard

do that and a resurgence is almost guaranteed

Oh god I hope so. Todd Howard has been doubling down on his strategy of "let's turn this complex RPG series into an action game" for years now and it's finally not working any more. Maybe if they get rid of him they will start making proper RPGs again.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Did bethesda ever make "actual RPGs"? Everything from tail end of 90s was definitely actiony, and things before that were just less good Might and Magic games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Did bethesda ever make "actual RPGs"?

I have very clear memories of people saying Daggerfall was just a Doom clone with quests

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just want them to bring back custom spells, levitation magic, boat ownership, and the climb skill. I don't know if that makes it a real RPG, but whatever they hell the were doing with Fallout 4 is NOT what I want going forward. more Daggerfall, less Fallout 4

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TheScott2K posted:

I have very clear memories of people saying Daggerfall was just a Doom clone with quests

That's Rage tho

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

signalnoise posted:

That's Rage tho

Rage could have been so loving good and just wasn't. Breaks my heart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best Bethesda game is Terminator: Future Shock or maybe one of the Wayne Gretzky games they made.

I will also accept the drag racing games they made if youre a loving weirdo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bring back X-Car

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rage was an amazing engine and fantastic gameplay hampered by shallow repetitive level design and a weak-rear end story. Game came out 8 years ago and still looks and plays better than most other FPSes since. Rage 2 is going to be loving awesome.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The melody driven MIDI soundtracks of yore were better than the orchestral mood pieces of today. I want a soundtrack where I can hum the tune!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zane posted:

i just use the asus monitor i bought 8 yrs ago. i don't know what any of these words mean.

he thinks 4k is worth paying for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sekiro is good and i'd kinda forgotten how fun jump buttons can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

sekiro is good and i'd kinda forgotten how fun jump buttons can be