Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Impressive bit of amateur astronomy here; someone on Reddit managed to detect an exoplanet transit: https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/amv6k4/i_detected_the_transit_of_exoplanet_xo2b_from_my/

I honestly had no idea this was in the realm of possibility even for high end hobbyist equipment.

Yeah, it's been possible for a few years even with low/mid grade equipment. People are doing it with DSLRs and low end refractors (and even normal camera lenses - see https://projectpanoptes.org/). It's another use case for photometry (just looking at lightcurves), which people have been doing for variable stars for decades.

Check out https://www.astrodennis.com - Dennis Conti has written an entire guide for amateurs. There are even amateurs doing follow up verifications for TESS detections (and previous Kepler/K2 detections) - I'm working on getting better at transit detections so I can join the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

slidebite posted:

I've got a Celestron 8SE but thinking I might want to try my hand a bit at astrophotography. I understand the Nexstar mount, while it tracks, isn't appropriate for photography. C/D?

Assuming it is not, what kind of mount should I be looking at that won't cost a huge fortune? I would like some sort of a go-to mount if possible.

Also, is there an FAQ for astrophotography? Software to use and recommended CCD eyepieces?

How do you find that scope / mount, apart from AP? I was thinking of upgrading from an Orion XT6 to that one.

e: Still interested in your thoughts should you happen to run across this, but likely I'll just try some different finders (at least for now) rather than buying the 8SE.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 19, 2019

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

For my flat Earth friend, I've stopped talking about it with him. He asked for help to figure out how to get to the magnetic North pole. I provided a host of info, largely from my experience as a pilot and in the aviation industry for ~15 years to explain variation and a few other things to show where they (magnetic and geomagnetic). It became clear he has a very small understanding about how most of this stuff works, especially magnetism and Earth's magnetosphere. I asked him basic questions to try to get a clearer picture of how he was understanding things. Early on, a thing he focused on for the Moon landing conspiracy was the Van Allen Belts. Although I explained it to him he moved on to ask other questions without a response. I want to ask him about it again because if the magnetosphere doesn't exist then what are the Van Allen belts and if they don't exist then why do they get brought up with the Apollo stuff...

He replied, and streamed a bit about me on his YT stream, focusing on my use of the phrase "believe the Earth is flat" and how he doesn't believe it, he knows and I'm the one who "believes" in a globe, and I need to get out of all systems of control. He said "magnetic variation is false" without addressing anything I explained about it and then went on to say how all the Moon landings didn't happen and the North Pole isn't what we're told primarily because there are no photos of it (that he accepts as real). It was clear, which was already obvious, that there's no room for discussion.

It's heartbreaking to me because he's been a sincere, good friend since the early 90s. He's a good guy at heart and thinks he's doing a wonderful thing exposing a fraud and fighting Them (whoever They are who seem to be controlling everything). It's so odd seeing someone reach this point having shared so much growing up together and wondering how did we end up with such different understandings of reality.

I was going to gift him KSP and encourage him to learn the basics of getting to orbit, rendezvous, transfer orbits and especially landing on Mun or something but it's not worth it. I've been delving into a lot of flat Earth debunkers and found a few who seem to have scientific backgrounds. I've written up further info specifically pertaining to magnetism and avoiding tangents, but I'm not going to send it since he's only ready to point fingers and ask skeptical questions rather than trust anything else he's told.

The channels that have been good are Bob the Science Guy and VoysovReason.

I'm anxious to get my telescope up and running. I have a young niece who is thrilled by NASA and space. I gave her a few books I have and she carries them all around. I hope to get a chance to teach her how telescopes work and especially help her see Jupiter or Saturn with her own eyes when her family visits later this year. At least some good can come from that sort of discussion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AzureSkys posted:

He replied, and streamed a bit about me on his YT stream, focusing on my use of the phrase "believe the Earth is flat" and how he doesn't believe it, he knows and I'm the one who "believes" in a globe, and I need to get out of all systems of control. He said "magnetic variation is false" without addressing anything I explained about it and then went on to say how all the Moon landings didn't happen and the North Pole isn't what we're told primarily because there are no photos of it (that he accepts as real). It was clear, which was already obvious, that there's no room for discussion.

It's heartbreaking to me because he's been a sincere, good friend since the early 90s. He's a good guy at heart and thinks he's doing a wonderful thing exposing a fraud and fighting Them (whoever They are who seem to be controlling everything). It's so odd seeing someone reach this point having shared so much growing up together and wondering how did we end up with such different understandings of reality.

I hate to break it to you in such blunt terms, but your friend has a mental illness. Especially the bolded part leads me to believe that he's gone far too deep down the Youtube algorithmhole that leads unsuspecting people deep into conspiracy theory territory. He needs help.

Unfortunately in the year 2019 that's unlikely to happen. What's happened to your friend is a sign of the times and how Youtube (and social media) are doing their damndest to reverse the last 500 years of popular scientific education and intellectual curiosity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Van Allen Belts concern is one of the stranger talking points.

We only know that the Van Allen Belts exist because of space probes.

Why is NASA telling the truth about the Van Allen Belts and lying about Apollo? :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Okay, the timeliness of this article hitting the BBC today is just uncanny:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47279253

Show your buddy that. If he leaps down a "fake news" hole then just move on with your life without him.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Drone posted:

I hate to break it to you in such blunt terms, but your friend has a mental illness. Especially the bolded part leads me to believe that he's gone far too deep down the Youtube algorithmhole that leads unsuspecting people deep into conspiracy theory territory. He needs help.

Unfortunately in the year 2019 that's unlikely to happen. What's happened to your friend is a sign of the times and how Youtube (and social media) are doing their damndest to reverse the last 500 years of popular scientific education and intellectual curiosity.
Definitely. That's what I realized after typing up my reply to his "variation doesn't exist". I just deleted it and will let things be. Hopefully it won't impact future get-togethers too much since I typically meet him, his brother and mother, and other old friends for holiday stuff. It just blows my mind how many people suddenly think they're super smart question askers and ultimate truth seekers because some youtube videos presented something they'd never thought about before and bought into. Then watching more videos about it or reading websites promoting the idea counts as research.

There's such a cult-like mentality to this, too, where people find identity and importance to a group that claims it's superior to the rest of the world with super special understanding of things. Just like traditional cults, it's quite hard to get someone to see they're in it.

Platystemon posted:

The Van Allen Belts concern is one of the stranger talking points.
We only know that the Van Allen Belts exist because of space probes.
Why is NASA telling the truth about the Van Allen Belts and lying about Apollo? :psyduck:
Exactly my thoughts, too, and why I wanted to bring it up but it would sadly go nowhere. I just really wonder how he thinks about so many things, like if so much of the navigational world relies on understanding stuff like magnetic variation or declination are they being given false information from Them that just happens to match real life well enough to fool us or are we looking at the data wrong but it coincidentally matches real life results, or is it all a trick by Them and they have unimaginable power to shape and distort reality for us sheep caught in the "mainstream narrative"?

I miss my friend but will just leave this be.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Van Allen belts, that reminds me of a Captain I flew with recently who was a moon hoax believer, which some pretty next level poo poo.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
So considering a new or used Stellarvue Access 102. Anyone have any experience with it? Looking at general viewing, both terrestrial and space, as well as screwing my Nikon onto it for both. I have a large dob but the thing is a pain to move out, set up, etc when the desire hits me. Plus the 102 would be better for taking (trailer) camping.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 23, 2019

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Hasselblad posted:

So considering a new or used Stellarvue Access 102. Anyone have any experience with it? Looking at general viewing, both terrestrial and space, as well as screwing my Nikon onto it for both. I have a large dob but the thing is a pain to move out, set up, etc when the desire hits me. Plus the 102 would be better for taking (trailer) camping.

Never observed with the Access series, but they're sourced from Kunming United Optics, which also manufactures for Teleskop-service in Germany and Astro-tech here in the states, and they have an extremely solid track record of quality poo poo. Also I've never looked through a Stellarvue scope that wasn't amazing and the general consensus on Cloudy Nights forums is that while the Access 125 can be a bit uneven, the 102s and 80s are really solid safe bets.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
After a bit of research based on my budget I decided to grab a Sky-Watcher EQM-35 . Should be plenty hefty enough to handle the 102 Stellarvue once I get it, and in the mean time will use it with my D700. Hoping I can just screw my ball head on it and go.

Now time to put some of my seldom used collectible toys up for sale to cover the cost of the actual refractor.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 25, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BackyardEOS/Nikon or APT?

As far as I can tell the latter incorporates mount control?

Edit: Sky-Watcher EQM-35 in and assembled. Sadly, while they include a cigarette lighter adapter, they fail to include a standard plug. :psyduck:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 5, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey, I'd like to look at rocks in space and I'm willing to spend $300 CAD to $800 CAD to do so. What is my best best bet for a good telescope?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Finally wrangled APT into working with my mount. Now I wait on a dovetail arriving tomorrow for my DSLR'd lens ring and I'll be ready to goooo. Dark of the moon, and solid clouds for the forseeable forcast. :(

Part of me wants to put star stickers on my walls and pretend I am outside.

Professor Shark posted:

Hey, I'd like to look at rocks in space and I'm willing to spend $300 CAD to $800 CAD to do so. What is my best best bet for a good telescope?

What are your skies at night typically like? Lots of light pollution or pretty dark?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Professor Shark posted:

I think this was linked here before, but if not:

https://www.reddit.com/r/telescopes/comments/847n0i/for_anyone_posting_what_telescope_should_i_get/

There's a pretty comprehensive post up on reddit about all the various options and price ranges

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

Finally wrangled APT into working with my mount. Now I wait on a dovetail arriving tomorrow for my DSLR'd lens ring and I'll be ready to goooo. Dark of the moon, and solid clouds for the forseeable forcast. :(

Part of me wants to put star stickers on my walls and pretend I am outside.

What are your skies at night typically like? Lots of light pollution or pretty dark?

Amazingly dark. Over the years I've thought about picking a telescope up so that I could see things better, now I'm in a financial position to drop some cash on a telescope.

Azhais posted:

I think this was linked here before, but if not:

https://www.reddit.com/r/telescopes/comments/847n0i/for_anyone_posting_what_telescope_should_i_get/

There's a pretty comprehensive post up on reddit about all the various options and price ranges

That is a good looking list, thanks!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Professor Shark posted:

Kijiji is your best bet

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

Amazingly dark. Over the years I've thought about picking a telescope up so that I could see things better, now I'm in a financial position to drop some cash on a telescope.

That is a good looking list, thanks!

Something I've learned in my short experience: If you enjoy the hobby you may upgrade to a better scope down the road. That said, the eyepieces you purchase will likely carry over to the new scope. So it is not a bad idea to research those as much if not more than your first scope itself.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Nice eyepieces are the difference between a ‘meh’ view and an incredible one. I’ve got a couple Explore Scientific 82degree ones (11mm and 30mm) and the usual, in-package eyepieces are basically gathering dust now.

They’re an investment, but when you can use them with any scope they’re well worth it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Luneshot posted:

Nice eyepieces are the difference between a ‘meh’ view and an incredible one. I’ve got a couple Explore Scientific 82degree ones (11mm and 30mm) and the usual, in-package eyepieces are basically gathering dust now.

They’re an investment, but when you can use them with any scope they’re well worth it.

I have the 30mm and cannot wait to get my refractor and some clear nights. Bought it for the 12" dob but rarely made it out with it. I grew to hate lugging that dob out and not having slewing.

In any event that piece is one heavy piece of glass and metal. How's the 11mm do?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I love the 11mm; its a great mid to high power eyepiece. I find it high enough magnification for decent planetary work, but not so high that I have to adjust the scope constantly. Great for planetary nebulae too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
11 mm 82° ES is my most used eyepiece as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

How do you find that scope / mount, apart from AP? I was thinking of upgrading from an Orion XT6 to that one.

e: Still interested in your thoughts should you happen to run across this, but likely I'll just try some different finders (at least for now) rather than buying the 8SE.

Sorry, just saw your question. I rarely remember to check this thread.

I quite like it. I found it when visiting my folks a couple years ago, a local person who was going through a divorce was looking to sell it and I got a nice package for a good price. The Nexstar/mount is a little funky to get used to but seems to work OK. Quality of the tube/optics seems great though.

That said, a local person has a basically brand new Celestron CPC-1100 for sale and I'm thinking of going up to an 11" from my 8". I am thinking of offering them about half what it's worth. It's been for sale for some time and still listed, so I'm thinking they're not having much luck.

I suspect the standard mount, while very sturdy from what I can tell, is not ideal for astrophotography so that might be an issue. Thoughts on the scope?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Clear nights since I got my new mount? 0

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

Clear nights since I got my new mount? 0

I feel your pain. I have a CGX getting delivered on Thursday so I’m sure the month of cloudy nights I’ve had is gonna keep on going for awhile.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No opinions on a Celestron CPC-1100?

Is a wedge good enough for doing some basic imaging with a fork mount or is a true equitorial really the way to go?

Also, as a new question...

What are thoughts on building a small "observatory" in a yard? My 8" (or maybe 11" if I go that way) isn't huge, but it would be kind of nice to leave it outside and save the constant pack ups/set ups. Any thoughts? Plans to follow? I was almost thinking of a shed but a retractable roof kind of makes a ready-to-go standard Lowes/HD type thing not going to happen.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

slidebite posted:

No opinions on a Celestron CPC-1100?

Is a wedge good enough for doing some basic imaging with a fork mount or is a true equitorial really the way to go?

Also, as a new question...

What are thoughts on building a small "observatory" in a yard? My 8" (or maybe 11" if I go that way) isn't huge, but it would be kind of nice to leave it outside and save the constant pack ups/set ups. Any thoughts? Plans to follow? I was almost thinking of a shed but a retractable roof kind of makes a ready-to-go standard Lowes/HD type thing not going to happen.

I just finished having a roll-off shed built in my backyard. It was a bit of a journey as, you're right, you can't just buy a Home Depot shed and modify it. Mine is a combo workshop/storage shed/observatory so a little larger than most (10x14) but I started with SkyShed's plans and went from there. Depending on what you wanted to do you could build a little 8x8 shed just for your scope setup, with a concrete pier. You could also look into stuff like the SkyShed pods (although I wonder if an 11" would fit inside one).

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I am forgoing the shed even though god knows I have the room for it. Even though we are technically in a valley, we have quite a low horizon. We have a raised earthen area that I am considering putting a concrete slab on with markings for the tripod feet positioning. A pier would be an option if we didn’t tend to have a ton of heaving to the ground each year and can only anchor so far down with about 75% river rock under the turf.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure if it's practical for my yard... bigger issues I didn't think of, like underground irrigation that would have to be moved, so it might be a bit of a pipe dream.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

slidebite posted:

irrigation ... a bit of a pipe dream.

Heh

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure if it's practical for my yard... bigger issues I didn't think of, like underground irrigation that would have to be moved, so it might be a bit of a pipe dream.

Are you envisioning pouring a concrete slab for the floor or just footings?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hasselblad posted:

I'd probably just do a 4" thick slab or something, but regardless where the "observatory" would go in the corner of my yard is at the intersection of 2 irrigation zones and associated sprinkler heads, which would necessitate digging/trenching lines which, to be honest, is more work than I want to do for something that probably won't get used as much as I'd like anyhow. The idea appeals to me, but it's seriously, 5-10 minutes of work to lug the scope out and set it up, possibly a bit more if thermals are an issue.

Heh, didn't even catch that.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Hasselblad posted:

I have seen both, and I imagine it depends on your ground conditions. I went with a full slab based on my architect's recommendations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Saw someone post this on Cloudy Nights. A red light to illuminate the polar finder scope.
I used a different flashlight (uses 1 AA battery rather than moon batteries), and rather than a 3/4x3/4x1/2" T, I used a 1"x1"x3/4" T and a small section of 1" pvc in the "male" end with fuzzy side of velcro for snugness (temporaritly just banded on.) The light I opted for is a perfect fit for the 3/4" part of the T, with a small pad to snug it there and has the benefit of butt end switch and no crazy tacticool strobe feature.

Scope Hacks are fun, and inexpensive. It's actually pretty groovy. Since the view through the polar finder scope isn't filtered, the white stars shine through the scope as white, while the rest of the field is red so you can easily see the alignment etchings. The flashlight itself is solid, perfectly bright, and all for $8 shipped.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 19, 2019

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Here's an image of the Horsehead and Flame Nebula I finished editing last week. Its 7 hours LRGB

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, that's incredible. This thread has definitely gotten me more and more interested in astronomy and astrophotography. Been trying to do some research but it's not quite the right time for me yet. Stupid question, on your Meade 6000 Series 70mm, can you also put a... not sure of the exact term, eye piece on it and see through it? Or is it only for attaching cameras to?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zinjnok posted:

Here's an image of the Horsehead and Flame Nebula I finished editing last week. Its 7 hours LRGB

Wow.
What is your setup?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Wow.
What is your setup?

Zinjnok posted:

I had thick clouds for most of totality, but they eventually thinned enough that i was able to get a few shots. This is the best of the 9 that weren't half covered. Not really happy with the amount of sharpening I had to apply to not make it look like a fuzzy mess.
Meade 6000 Series 70mm
ZWO ASI178

Here's a bonus Copernicus Crater from months ago when I had clear skies.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, that's incredible. This thread has definitely gotten me more and more interested in astronomy and astrophotography. Been trying to do some research but it's not quite the right time for me yet. Stupid question, on your Meade 6000 Series 70mm, can you also put a... not sure of the exact term, eye piece on it and see through it? Or is it only for attaching cameras to?
Its for photography only. It has a short backfocus, so you wouldn't be able to fit a diagonal and eyepiece and still bring it into focus.

Hasselblad posted:

Wow.
What is your setup?
For scopes i have a 8' Celestron EdgeHD and Meade 6000 70mm. Mount is a Celestron CGX, and I have a ZWO ASI294 and 178 for cameras. The data for that was collected with a FSQ106 at Deep Sky West. I subscribe to one of the setups there, but they have the Horsehead/Flame data and two other sets available for free if you want to take a shot at editing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zinjnok posted:

Its for photography only. It has a short backfocus, so you wouldn't be able to fit a diagonal and eyepiece and still bring it into focus.

For scopes i have a 8' Celestron EdgeHD and Meade 6000 70mm. Mount is a Celestron CGX, and I have a ZWO ASI294 and 178 for cameras. The data for that was collected with a FSQ106 at Deep Sky West. I subscribe to one of the setups there, but they have the Horsehead/Flame data and two other sets available for free if you want to take a shot at editing them.

Really dumb AP question: Those 2 shots of the moon, is the closeup just a crop or a different scope? My proper flat top dovetail came in and can now enjoy some AP while I wait for my 102mm scope. Unfortunately clouds are back. :argh: