Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i enjoyed the society aspect more in the first movie when it was just this cool world built in to the story, but also i mean they cant just kill his dog at the beginning of every movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

i enjoyed the society aspect more in the first movie when it was just this cool world built in to the story, but also i mean they cant just kill his dog at the beginning of every movie

Everything that has happened so far still is a consequence of that one puppy dying

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but like one dog dies and he's the protector of the animal kingdom but if three die well you kinda have to ask if this dude should be owning pets lol

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Exploring the unexplained bits from your successful story is sequel writing 101. The Hobbit had the magic ring, Star Wars had Darth Vader and the force, and John Wick had the secret gold coin assassin hotel stuff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Exploring the unexplained bits from your successful story is sequel writing 101. The Hobbit had the magic ring, Star Wars had Darth Vader and the force, and John Wick had the secret gold coin assassin hotel stuff.

I've only seen the first one, and one of my favourite parts was all the subtle world building.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

site posted:

Yeah but like one dog dies and he's the protector of the animal kingdom but if three die well you kinda have to ask if this dude should be owning pets lol

TBF, he's only had one dog die.

I mean, if his unnamed pitbull dies in 3 I will be hella pissed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bunnyofdoom posted:

TBF, he's only had one dog die.

I mean, if his unnamed pitbull dies in 3 I will be hella pissed.

Yeah sorry that's what i mean, better to move on to the assassination society than try to rehash the dead dog plot

And i don't think keanu will do that to us, i think good doggo will be safe

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Seriously gently caress everybody who got me to watch John Wick on "he comes out of retirement because they kill his dog".
No, the dog is just an item that connects him to a dead wife. This ain't some hot new take, it's the same old dead wife bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In no way does his wife’s death bring him out of retirement.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but creators still use cliches like that for one reason, it still worked.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

In no way does his wife’s death bring him out of retirement.

Except it's the token of her memory that inspires his rampage. The dog might as well have been his wedding ring or a picture they took . It's lame and tired and y'all need to quit lyin, John Wick has some great fight choreography but it's just another B movie in every other regard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only thing that makes something a B movie is cost, and it cost a lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Except it's the token of her memory that inspires his rampage. The dog might as well have been his wedding ring or a picture they took . It's lame and tired and y'all need to quit lyin,

I bet you're fun to talk to

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Oh sure "B movie" has never referred to the quality of writing or directing. My bad. People wanna act like it's the second coming. This is loving Boondock Saints all over again.

I think it's cool that stunt coordinators are getting more respect/control in Hollywood and making the movies they want to make but I don't get the hype behind the John Wick movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because a guy going on a killing spree because his dog was killed would make a movie less like a shlocky B movie, apparently.

It seems really weird this specific minor point of motivation is what the quality of the entire movie hinges on for you.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 21, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

But sometimes explaining stuff that's just implied robs it of what was interesting and bogs your movie down in lore and minutiae. Like the Star Wars prequels. Or Metroid Other M.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That dog was loving adorable though.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

And it should have been more important to the movie, like the kitten in Keanu.

Edit: Actually if the pitbull is somehow his sidekick in the new one and like helps him kill dudes or reload or whatever then I'm back in.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2019

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Lurdiak posted:

But sometimes explaining stuff that's just implied robs it of what was interesting and bogs your movie down in lore and minutiae. Like the Star Wars prequels. Or Metroid Other M.

You aren’t wrong, which is why sequels are a dangerous business.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

zoux posted:

Top three action scenes/set pieces in the MCU, go:

Elevator Fight - Winter Soldier
Highway Fight - Winter Soldier
Airport Fight - Civil War

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think they're doubling down on it with more secret societies

I'm pretty sure it's all the same overall secret society. I also kinda expect him to bring it all down by the end of the series.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Oh sure "B movie" has never referred to the quality of writing or directing. My bad. People wanna act like it's the second coming. This is loving Boondock Saints all over again.

I think it's cool that stunt coordinators are getting more respect/control in Hollywood and making the movies they want to make but I don't get the hype behind the John Wick movies.

The "I don't like thing" meme was made for people like you.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Laffo at the dude comparing John Wick to Boondock Saints good lord

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure why John Wick is even a topic in this thread, it's not a comic book movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

zoux posted:

It doesn't make top 3 but the final action set piece in Thor 2 is underappreciated because it's funny and inventive in a way that a lot of final act fights in the MCU aren't.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

I'm not sure why John Wick is even a topic in this thread, it's not a comic book movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If there's one thing Marvel movies nail, it's that final action scene. I'm hype for almost all of them.

I think the Iron Man movies are the weakest, but even those are still pretty fun because robots.

Also I just came back from Captain Marvel and it was very good. I really wasn't sold on Brie Larson in the previews, but it all came together really nicely and I loved the chemistry she had with Sam Jackson.

I want a sequel where it's a buddy cop movie set in space with the two of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

There aren't many to choose from tbh. They're all mostly mediocre, gimmicky and/or boringly shot, with Black Panther having probably the worst action of them all. My top 3 would probably be any fight from Winter Soldier in the top 2, you can mix and match whatever from there, and then I guess it's a toss up between the Bucky/Cap vs Stark fight and the segment of the Titan fight between Dr. Strange and Thanos for the 3 spot. Those were the only ones that stuck with me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Star Wars comics don't make Star Wars a comic movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Busan sequence is the best action in Black Panther.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought the CG in black panther was particularly bad so my favorite action scenes are the two shirtless waterfall fights.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

it's too bad this took like a whole year to come out lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anyone know what song was playing when Miles and Aaron are in the subway tagging the wall? According to google it says its Buss This, but I KNOW I heard samples of Black Sheep's The Choice in it, but Buss this does not have any of that in it.

It's also got that amazing Bongo Band sample as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTSVWD_8Y4

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Marvel movie with the best action scenes is Iron Man 3, by the way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Anyone know what song was playing when Miles and Aaron are in the subway tagging the wall? According to google it says its Buss This, but I KNOW I heard samples of Black Sheep's The Choice in it, but Buss this does not have any of that in it.

It's also got that amazing Bongo Band sample as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTSVWD_8Y4

It's a custom mix by Kool Kojak: https://www.izotope.com/en/blog/artist-stories/how-producer-kool-kojak-used-iris-2-on-spider-man-enter-the-spider-verse.html

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I thought the CG in black panther was particularly bad so my favorite action scenes are the two shirtless waterfall fights.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. On a narrative, thematic, production/costume design level it's the best, but the CG fights were just kind of bad. Can't have it all I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Karloff posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. On a narrative, thematic, production/costume design level it's the best, but the CG fights were just kind of bad. Can't have it all I guess.

Every marvel movie ships out the CG to like a billion different studios so pinning the blame would take like a 10 year investigation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aah, that makes sense, Why I knew the songs but couldn't find that mix. Its custom.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The other night I rewatched Spider-verse for the second time but in 4k and all I want to do is rewatch it a third time.

It's climbing the charts of my favorite movies period, not even just sitting atop the comic book genre for me. So good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dan Didio posted:

Marvel movie with the best action scenes is Iron Man 3, by the way.

:hai:

The assault on Tony's Malibu vacation home and the fight in the café are both really cool.

(I still like the action in Winter Soldier better, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ashpanash posted:

Make Wong the next Captain America

I can’t see his name without laughing at how he just hosed on out of Infinity War.

“Oh, you guys are fighting Thanos? Good luck with that. Gotta go!”