Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

alnilam posted:

Remember Brexit? It's back, in Rees-Mogg form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

May using a meeting with the opposition just to dress down MPs is too real not to believe.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

alnilam posted:

Remember Brexit? It's back, in Rees-Mogg form!
:dudsmile:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
So they're inching towards a second referendum, is that what's going on here?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

poty posted:

from what i hear of the summit the message to mps is clear: unless you want no-deal its time to get rid of theresa may

How about no deal and then getting rid of her?

You know, the phrase "scapegoat" refers to ancient practice where all sorts of bad deeds were ceremonially blamed on a goat, and then the goat was sacrificed, so as to free everyone else from the burden and responsibility of those things.

May is the no-deal scapegoat. As soon as no-deal brexit is achieved, Rees-Mogg is going to mash a giant red button on his desk that is labeled "Tory Coup" and either he or Boris will replace her as PM

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Excuse me, I voted to impose economic sanctions on myself and I'd like to see that decision through, thanks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poty posted:

from what i hear of the summit the message to mps is clear: unless you want no-deal its time to get rid of theresa may

they are going to do a no-deal brexit and then get rid of may afterward

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

serious question: what exactly do the eu gain by extending the deadline?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Extending the breadline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYif5uTSfY

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The EU doesn't really want to lose trade with Britain through a no deal either, so extending the deadline avoids no deal from happening and an even longer extension offer baits a trap for the Tories to step in and ruin themselves. That opens up the chance for a Labour government that's serious about a Brexit deal that both sides can live with, or a chance to avoid Brexit entirely.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 13:31 on Mar 22, 2019

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The hope that the UK won't destroy itself and gently caress with the world economy, or that if it does, they'll have a little longer to finish setting up the barricade that stops them being covered in gore when Britain explodes next to them.

twoday
May 4, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

They show they are being cooperative and willing to work towards stopping a no-deal, and also giving everyone in Europe two more weeks to prepare

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

May's government basically came into this assuming that the EU can't live without British trade and would acqueisce to their demands. They didn't think the EU would be willing to keep altering the deal to manipulate internal British politics and undermine them completely. The EU always had way more leverage than the UK, and the Tories thought they could bluff their way through Brexit just like they've done everything else in Britain.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the thing I can’t grasp is how May thought that she could use a deadline to ram through her lovely deal, and yet she’s had to extend the deadline and still thinks it’s a reasonable gambit

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

An infinite number of UK politicians come to the EU. The first one orders half a Brexit, the second one a quarter Brexit, the third an eighth and so on. Says the EU bureaucrat „Yeah, don’t piss me off“ and puts an entire Brexit on the table.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Squizzle posted:

which is more believable: some random rear end in a top hat on reddit, or the british media???

imagine thinking internet posts were less reliable than the murdoch's media wetdream

twoday
May 4, 2005

The long-standing Tory strategy of blaming everything bad on the EU is only going to work for a little bit longer. After Brexit they will presumably start blaming everything on Labour, but it’s hard to say if that will be as effective. It’s easy to blame the EU because it’s an opaque and distant and complex institution that does a lot of bad things, I’m not sure that Labour will serve the same function as effectively

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Delaying brexit also gives Macron time to crush the Yellow Vests before they can collide with whatever crises brexit causes. Or at least he probably thinks it will.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nothus posted:

So they're inching towards a second referendum, is that what's going on here?

Lmao no, not a chance

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Squizzle posted:

what does brexit even mean anymore

brexit

Brexit

BREXIT

BREXIT!!!!!!!!

B R E X I T

twoday
May 4, 2005

Let’s see how the stockpiling is going....

https://twitter.com/FirehorseP/status/1108413003014254593?s=20

https://twitter.com/johnelworthy/status/1108660568615981056?s=20

https://twitter.com/Rocketnews1/status/1108539317142634497?s=20

https://twitter.com/SarahNicholas/status/1106328360010113025?s=20

https://twitter.com/Aideen67/status/1106196206798233605?s=20

https://twitter.com/business/status/1107989510955192320?s=20

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1108799941030367232?s=20

Beans, toilet paper, and Swiss watches, seems fine

twoday
May 4, 2005

“When Brexit happens, I’m ready to constantly eat beans and poo poo by candlelight 6 times a day” - the average Brit

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Food £200
Data £150
Rent £800
Candles £3,600
Watches £5,400
Utility £150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Fucken fubpees

Candles and fucken wine

Tuscany-visiting quinoa-snorting wankers

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This is absolutely amazing, Merkel confirmed that if Brittain gets the long extension it will have to hold EU elections, whether it wants to or not. If it doesn't, it would make the EU parliament election results legally void.

So, Britain is going to have to hold elections while still Brexiting and Garage is going on tour again with his plane crash bit. I can't wait :allears:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

beans are good

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

fancy watches are kind of a good inflation hedge and also an easy way to take $10k+ across a border without declaring it when fleeing your dying country, according to my friend who has a rolex that was used in this way when his dad fled the military junta in argentina

ty manifisto

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

twoday posted:

“When Brexit happens, I’m ready to constantly eat beans and poo poo by candlelight 6 times a day” - the average Brit

most of those stockpiles wouldn't even be enough for a hurricane.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Brexit
Put on your red shoes and dance the blues

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Grimly satisfied that my reading up on the Siege of Sarajevo is yielding fruit, I'm gonna be a toilet paper millionaire

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
When you're Brexiting, the whole world island is your TP

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Obliterati posted:

Grimly satisfied that my reading up on the Siege of Sarajevo is yielding fruit, I'm gonna be a toilet paper millionaire

gratz on yr wealth of sarajevo toilet fruit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought I didn't understand, and then I thought I understood, and now I think I don't understand again. Does May need to ask Parliament to approve one of these two possible extensions, or is some kind of extension automatic now?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought I didn't understand, and then I thought I understood, and now I think I don't understand again. Does May need to ask Parliament to approve one of these two possible extensions, or is some kind of extension automatic now?

MEANS BREXIT!!!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, treaties and related things are normally just done by the executive, the Art 50 stuff only came about chase of the stuff in the Miller case. The extension has (I think) been offered and accepted

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

nobody own me if this is incorrect: brexit day has been moved back to april 11 regardless of if may gets the votes on her deal

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Farm Frenzy posted:

nobody own me if this is incorrect: brexit day has been moved back to april 11 regardless of if may gets the votes on her deal

correct

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Goon Danton posted:

Food £200
Data £150
Rent £800
Candles £3,600
Watches £5,400
Utility £150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my country is dying

Withdraw Article 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

CactusWeasle posted:

Withdraw Article 50

no