Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Speaking of: Dungeon Maker got another big update.

Definitely not 'Tiny'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I’m retarded

hello mister president

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bogart posted:

ok

i'm resentful you old fucks screwed up the planet and foisted fixing it upon the younger generation while constantly denigrating us

it's cool that we can share our feelings openly

Young man yells at cloud

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Night of the Full Moon made me miss my stop yesterday. By three stops.

A+++++

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

where the hell is my elder scrolls blades for ios todd

same

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Len posted:

And that's fine but at it's core the games are 1) start timer 2) collect money 3) spend money to go to 1. And if you're okay with that gameplay loop being slow as molasses then you don't have to spend money. But if you find the game slow and miserable your options are pay money or don't play.

I don't know if it was intentional but this comes off as you are entitled to any random game being down loaded off the internet being both Free and Good.

"I like it but not enough to pay for it so I stopped playing." Is a valid response.

"I like it A LOT but I don't want to pay for it so as not to validate the income model of the developer." is irrational.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Murgos posted:

I don't know if it was intentional but this comes off as you are entitled to any random game being down loaded off the internet being both Free and Good.

"I like it but not enough to pay for it so I stopped playing." Is a valid response.

"I like it A LOT but I don't want to pay for it so as not to validate the income model of the developer." is irrational.

I liked it enough to play for 4 hours before I realized the only way to make it go at a reasonable pace was spending money and I didn't like it that much

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol people white knighting free to play models

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol people white knighting free to play models

welcome to the ios thread, est 2008

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Genuinely asking, is there a favorable market for Pay Once games on mobile though? Like, if you're a dev starting out and have the option of a F2P or Pay Once game, doesn't it make sense to go the second route because all you need to do is catch a few whales? I got the impression that F2P games run circles around paid types because of whales, and a majority of F2P income is mostly whales as well. Has that changed in the previous years?

Furthermore, is the market receptive to higher priced paid games? I do get nervous with paid games at $5 or more, simply because there's a lot more risk involved.There's a chance I might not like it, it might not display properly on my phone, it may have glitches, the developer might not update it ever again, and so on. iOS games seem ephemeral and hardly seem persistent compared to any other gaming platform. Hell, I bought No Ads for a pay once game and tried coming back to it years later, and they removed any option to restore purchases and forced ads on each level transition. And now it doesn't display properly with my iPhone XR. And then there's a square enix dragon quest game that cost $20 and hasn't been updated or patched once since I got it.

I really don't blame people for avoiding paid games due to those risks, and I don't blame devs for taking the easy way out and going whale hunting. That isn't to say I'm okay with F2P games dominating iOS game sales. It's a sad state of affairs when the best games I've played on iOS have all been ports of real games on actual consoles. It also sucks to see my cousins ask for iTunes gift cards so they can get more gems so they can avoid timers/walls for a few days. They could get hundreds of hours of enjoyment if they got a Switch and Pokemon or something instead of wasting it on garbage games.

So like, how do you go forward with this and foster a better environment for iOS games? Because it looks like the status quo and market heavily favors farting out poo poo games

edit: reading this post over again, is apple ever going to allow app refunds? The google play store was so much better for me when I was on android because I could try out paid games effectively risk free.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They have always allowed refunds. Google is your friend.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
what the heck I was told here they never did. serves me right for not simply checking in the first place.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The App Store is a race to the bottom. The number of apps or games that can do really well AND be priced above a couple bucks is vanishingly small.

They’re almost forced to cast the widest possible net (free) and hope to catch enough IAP to make it work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

buglord posted:

what the heck I was told here they never did. serves me right for not simply checking in the first place.

When they email you a receipt after making a purchase find the app in the email and hit "report a problem" -- in my experience the refund is usually automatic and you can still keep the app on your phone if you want (just can't update it). I imagine there's some limit in place for people who abuse it though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyway I think every digital store has "we don't allow refunds" as a policy but they'll do it anyway. I've done it on Switch and on PS4 who both have hardcore "absolutely no refunds" language in their stores

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

buglord posted:

The developers of Plague Inc made a new game called Insurgency Inc.

I really wish they hadnt made the bad guys brown people.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

bobfather posted:

Anyone have any NotFM build tips for Little Witch on Hard VII, specifically for the last boss.

Also, Little Witch is super lame compared to the other classes. Even Nun has a couple good ways to play (penitence, overhealing piercer), but Little Witch you just hope to get lucky pulling some good Frost cards that synergize. Because mana and spell cards are overemphasized with Witch, I’m also finding that equipment is extremely rare. It’s dumb.

Edit: Nevermind, beating Hard VII is really just a matter of lucking out with store and chest pulls. The VII end boss ended up not even getting a turn to play.
Was going to reply when I saw the edit

I beat Hard VI and VII both with lucky star builds, first fairy gave me it each game, Mirror Of Moon showed up as well, copy Fire Punishment each turn with other effects and win at everything forever. A bit anticlimactic.

Funny you should mention frost since the only run I’ve had which got to the final boss and had to abort was frost; I couldn’t beat Werewolf since he was regenerating a third of his life each turn.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Pocket Planes and Trains felt like iterations toward a really fun casual multiplayer strategy game and I was hoping Nimblebit was going to take another crack at that

https://twitter.com/NimbleBit/status/1109080239622119425

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Captain Cool posted:

Pocket Planes and Trains felt like iterations toward a really fun casual multiplayer strategy game and I was hoping Nimblebit was going to take another crack at that

Well that’s really disappointing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
actually it's loving funny especially given the people who were defending them in this very thread, almost feels like the nimblebros are trolling at this point

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

thatfuturekid posted:

Well that’s really disappointing.

Were you expecting anything different?

So that's what:

Tiny Tower
Tiny Tower Vegas
Tiny Death Star
Tiny Lego Tower

I feel like there was a Tiny Tower 2.0 somewhere but I could be wrong

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Captain Cool posted:

Hahaha welp

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I am excited to see predatory F2P business models targeted directly at children instead of indirectly. What could possibly be wrong with turning children into dopamine junkies to pry money out of their parents wallets? It’s just what the market demands.

Somewhere out there the ghost of Ron Paul is smiling down upon us all. Even though he’s not dead.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BGrifter posted:

I am excited to see predatory F2P business models targeted directly at children instead of indirectly. What could possibly be wrong with turning children into dopamine junkies to pry money out of their parents wallets? It’s just what the market demands.

Somewhere out there the ghost of Ron Paul is smiling down upon us all. Even though he’s not dead.

We have an entire thread dedicated to not childrens love of Legos.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Perfectly fine then!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is it going to have prestiging which was the single worst thing they ever added to Tiny Tower? Why yes, I'd love to tear down the tower I've spent a month building up for two pieces of this new currency.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
It’s horses for courses though isn’t it, plenty of people enjoy that kind of thing but really don’t get the attraction of anything to with dragons, dwarves or card deck games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao another tiny tower reskin well done

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

They’re called AFOLs you uncultured pig

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

buglord posted:

Genuinely asking, is there a favorable market for Pay Once games on mobile though? Like, if you're a dev starting out and have the option of a F2P or Pay Once game, doesn't it make sense to go the second route because all you need to do is catch a few whales?

Evidence suggests that iOS sales on ACTUAL (pay once) games are so low that publishers can’t even justify the expense of keeping them updated for current devices.

Shadowrun was always the most regrettable of these as they were very nice games to play on an iPad and with the third game they stopped mobile development altogether, and at some point stopped selling them altogether.

These are good, existing games you would think at least provide a small but predictable revenue stream a small company could buy up and keep running at a barebones level for predictable returns (i.e. what will eventually happen to the telltale library) but apparently they can’t.

I don’t have access to data but very few games are updated for iPhone X. The iOS store does not appear to be the sort of place you can count on a smash hit to be a perennial seller.

Why this is - as a customer ONLY interested in playing games with no IAP it’s incredibly difficult to shop for games on the iOS store. Their whole design seems intent on highlighting the glory of Apple and not actually selling products.

For example there is no way to know what apps are on sale at any given time. Square Enix usually does 50% sales on their games once or twice a year (at least THEY appear to make money on ports of full games as well as IAP) and there’s no way to know when this is happening outside of following Square on social media or some other non-Apple website. Why isn’t there a “specials” tab on the App Store? The only real way of finding new games is by searching through the list of game’s people are buying, or Apple’s lame curated lists that just seem to feature random games.

I own SO MANY games I can’t play on my new iPhone. It’s ridiculous. But obviously there’s no money in keeping these apps current.

Therefore it is unwise to invest too much money in non-IAP standalone games on mobile platforms.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Be Depressive posted:

Why this is - as a customer ONLY interested in playing games with no IAP it’s incredibly difficult to shop for games on the iOS store. Their whole design seems intent on highlighting the glory of Apple and not actually selling products.

I'm probably very wrong but I felt like it's because if the game isn't good* enough for Apple to tell you about it isn't worth showing up to find. That's why using the appstore to find things is a drat nightmare and they removed wish lists. They want your money and they want it now**

*Paying to push to the front of the store
**Days later when they finally charge you because why charge you instantly like any other company does?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Seems unnecessarily harsh to be dumping on the NimbleBros this hard. All they did was adapted to the market, which unfortunately has *massively* trended away from being able to support buy-once premium games. Here’s a depressing example of just how severe that trend has become: Leo’s Fortune which launched in 2014 went on to make quite literally millions of dollars. Oddmar, which was released last year by the same basic team and is a much better game has made around $50k last I looked.

I’m not sure what ya’ll expect devs to do when that’s just the reality of the mobile market right now.

:shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If it's really so bad that the only way to produce a game in 2019 is by engaging in that predatory F2P business model, then it's time to look for a new career. Nobody is being forced to manufacture this crap at gunpoint.

Go run a puppy shelter or build an orphanage to work off the karmic debt and move on with your life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

io_burn posted:

Seems unnecessarily harsh to be dumping on the NimbleBros this hard. All they did was adapted to the market, which unfortunately has *massively* trended away from being able to support buy-once premium games. Here’s a depressing example of just how severe that trend has become: Leo’s Fortune which launched in 2014 went on to make quite literally millions of dollars. Oddmar, which was released last year by the same basic team and is a much better game has made around $50k last I looked.

I’m not sure what ya’ll expect devs to do when that’s just the reality of the mobile market right now.

I played Tiny Tower for the first time when I was working midnights at a gas station in 2011. They have released the same game multiple times since

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Seems like the Switch would be the perfect platform for a light management sim a la Pocket Planes/Trains, and apparently you can actually sell premium games there.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

io_burn posted:

hey let’s listen to the guy who hoarded Wiis on this

edit: getting criticized and only criticized for such business practices as milking the young, very old, and very ignorant is really the least consequences these people can face and some people think that’s too far :rolleyes:

if that bothers them, like others have said, they should do something else

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 24, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

io_burn posted:

That’s what I feel. Can’t really blame a mobile dev for ditching the heartfelt stuff and making multitudes more by going IAP. Sucks that’s where we’re at though. The switch does seem like a better alternative, but if I’m gonna put my phone down play a game with dedicated attention, I’ll just hop onto the computer instead.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

BGrifter posted:

If it's really so bad that the only way to produce a game in 2019 is by engaging in that predatory F2P business model, then it's time to look for a new career. Nobody is being forced to manufacture this crap at gunpoint.

I think low budget low price games do fine. It’s all about margins - if you produce something simple and easy to update then it will be cheap to keep running and make enough profit that you could probably sell the rights to someone else. If it’s a complicated AA or AAA game you are talking about additional expenses every time there’s an iOS update.

There are success stories on the App Store but I really wonder what the actual sales figures are. On the OSX store, at least, a guy once jumped to the top of the “paid apps” list for selling something like 40 units.

If you wanted to produce pay-once iOS games I think you could but they would need to be produced and maintained very inexpensively.

These shiny predatory games probably spend something like 50% of their revenue on ads.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

io_burn posted:

Looking forward to seeing how GameClub turns Hook Champ, Fargoal etc. into gatcha garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I’ve already come to grips with the fact that there’s literally nothing I (or other people on the production side) can do to make goons in this thread happy, which is unfortunate.