Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Memnaelar posted:

speaking of poker chips, anyone have a recommendation for a good set to pick up as currency in boardgames? Don't play 18XX games as yet but I do have certain games where paper money (*cough* FCM *cough*) would be best replaced with chips. One friend pointed to a set for $100, but that feels steep for a set that will probably only get used once every two to three months or so...

$24 at target gets you a set of 400 chips
https://www.target.com/p/400pc-poker-game-set/-/A-12836088

They're not the highest quality, obviously, but there's enough there, and with the right colors (I guess), and solid and heavy. I bought them for Chex and The Soo Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

speaking of poker chips, anyone have a recommendation for a good set to pick up as currency in boardgames? Don't play 18XX games as yet but I do have certain games where paper money (*cough* FCM *cough*) would be best replaced with chips. One friend pointed to a set for $100, but that feels steep for a set that will probably only get used once every two to three months or so...

Note that Iron Clays as sold by Roxly are not enough to play an 18xx game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

Note that Iron Clays as sold by Roxly are not enough to play an 18xx game.

Are you talking about the set in Brass, or the filled box of 100? I don't play 18XX so I don't know the scale of the economy.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

Are you talking about the set in Brass, or the filled box of 100? I don't play 18XX so I don't know the scale of the economy.

Both. If you had 3 filled boxes (2 as an extreme stretch) and improvised something else for 500s, you would be able to play most 18xx's I imagine. Though the distribution would still be sub-optimal (too many 1s, and why the f do 10s exist).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Mini chips at discount poker shop are good, I have both a set of those and also Majestics from Apache.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

taser rates posted:

Mini chips at discount poker shop are good, I have both a set of those and also Majestics from Apache.

"$26 for the chips in the colours you always wanted!" :classiclol:

"$61 shipping" :stonk:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I choked on that myself in the past.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah I choked on that myself in the past.

Silly. Those aren't the eating kind of chips. :munch:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2019

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Everyone talks about poker chips but little calculators to keep track of your routes seem extremely helpful, at least based on trying 1846.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I just use the cheap dice chips which are good enough for me.

AceRimmer posted:

Everyone talks about poker chips but little calculators to keep track of your routes seem extremely helpful, at least based on trying 1846.

I'll keep track of individual routes on a piece of scratch paper, lumping them all into one number on a calculator can complicate things if a route drastically changes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've never played 18xx irl but it seems like id just get a laptop w the spreadsheet

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

I've never played 18xx irl but it seems like id just get a laptop w the spreadsheet

There's a table with a bunch of crusty old guys and a laptop and an 18xx game every year at the con I go to, yeah.

They usually play 2-3 of them over the course of the weekend.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always have a boogie board on me, or toss it in one of the boxes because there's a lot of empty space in a 18xx box once you sort everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

al-azad posted:

I always have a boogie board on me, or toss it in one of the boxes because there's a lot of empty space in a 18xx box once you sort everything.

you better be talking about the beach toy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

you better be talking about the beach toy

I only use that to cast off bad games like Bears vs. Babies I had to begrudgingly play, but the boogie board I'm talking about is basically an LCD dry erase. Kind of an upgraded version of those old magnetic drawing tablets from back in the day.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

There's a table with a bunch of crusty old guys and a laptop and an 18xx game every year at the con I go to, yeah.

They usually play 2-3 of them over the course of the weekend.

Those people are the reason why I don't like to advertise that I'm playing an 18xx at meetups. I don't mind playing with cool people, but those crusty old guys are usually trouble.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedragonstomb/offensive-adult-party-game-by-the-dragons-tomb

Finally, the first Cards Against Humanity clone I am willing to play

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chill la Chill posted:

There is a Klemens Franz 5G4D episode! :eyepop:

5G4D keeps growing on me. I don't think he's figured out the new 'Guild' format yet, but the reviews and interviews are VERY good.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I feel like Pulsar 2849 really went under the entire industry's radar when it came out in 2017, but I played it a second time tonight and it's super rad. Really clever dice drafting system that rewards/penalizes weak/strong dice, lots of paths to victory, great visual presence, heavily modular elements for high replayability... it's a winner. Highly recommend.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
You guys mentioned Catan Junior being better than the original, any other suprisingly good kid games? I'm looking for something to play w/ a 5 year old and not get bored out of my skull.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

You guys mentioned Catan Junior being better than the original, any other suprisingly good kid games? I'm looking for something to play w/ a 5 year old and not get bored out of my skull.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kinderspiel_des_Jahres
Kinderspiel des Jahres is a different jury than SdJ and they do testing in kindergardens. 5 year olds often dislike strategic decisions though. Good childrens games are more like fun activities with a toy factor.
In addition to those, I vouch for Rhino Hero.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 22, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

I feel like Pulsar 2849 really went under the entire industry's radar when it came out in 2017, but I played it a second time tonight and it's super rad. Really clever dice drafting system that rewards/penalizes weak/strong dice, lots of paths to victory, great visual presence, heavily modular elements for high replayability... it's a winner. Highly recommend.

I played this once and wasn't overly excited. I won, but I wasn't sure how and that's not a good sign to me. Vladimir Suchy is a good designer, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Our 4yo loves Worm Party, he likes doing stuff in ticket to ride/ttr:new york but not really aiming at the goals, uh card games can work (crazy 8's or the like), and there's always roll n moves like sorry, race to the roof.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Terminally Bored posted:

In the realm of dexterity games, I've had fun playing Rhino Hero Super Battle and Click Clack Lumberjack.

The kid in question asked for one more play of the latter, then just smacked the entire stack over at once. Most fun he had all day. Kids!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

Another dexterity game is Animal Upon Animal. It's a bunch of big animal meeples being stacked on a crocodile. If they fall off, you take them back. First to place them all wins.

They're actually crafted in such a way that they slot together in interesting ways, like the designers really thought about the meeple shapes.

My 4yo also likes Indigo https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116954/indigo
Hex tiles, gems on the board, lay a tile to slide the gem along the path. Try to get the gems off your side. We can't play it competitively obviously, but it's nice for route planning and lining up hexes and collecting shiny things.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Pro click if you skimmed over this

Memnaelar posted:

speaking of poker chips, anyone have a recommendation for a good set to pick up as currency in boardgames?

Aw man you’re supposed to google this first so you find the strange threads on poker forums where people are gushing about chipfeel

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 22, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

"Why does this company sounds familiar why does this guy look oh poo poo of course, Dragon's Tomb!"

Best rules explanations on youtube imo.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Merauder posted:

I really like it and still have it even though my wife isn’t a fan. I like the dice drafting and it’s one of those games where every decision is so crucial and you have to make tough decisions all game that will impact your play style.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone needs to get dragon tomb guy to make an 1830 tutorial.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm not super impressed by the Glen More II Kickstarter.

Anyone here got a copy of the original I can take off their hands? I remember liking it, but not over $100 liking it, that's Gloomhaven level money!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Indolent Bastard posted:

Anyone here got a copy of the original I can take off their hands? I remember liking it, but not over $100 liking it, that's Gloomhaven level money!

I know there were a bunch of copies of the original (German) edition floating around at one point. Never did find an English one but honestly it's not that big a deal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well only these would be worse than plastic poker chips.

:argh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

I didn't like the original but I'm 90% sure it's just me, everyone else seems to enjoy it.

I also didn't like Heaven & Ale, which has some of the same "choose your next action, and if you go forward too far everyone else gets to take extra actions" stuff, and I dunno, maybe it's actually an auction in disguise so I'm suuuuper bad at it?

(in before Chill says everything is an auction in disguise)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

The plaques are weird, like, you see them on random cash game shows (high stakes poker and the like) and they always seem completely ridiculous, why not just have a bigger denomination of chip?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

If they came in sets of 10 you could use them as deluxe shares!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

You could just get Kraftwagen which is usually $12 on Amazon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I know there were a bunch of copies of the original (German) edition floating around at one point. Never did find an English one but honestly it's not that big a deal.

I stubbornly missed my chance at that several times.

Chill la Chill posted:

You could just get Kraftwagen which is usually $12 on Amazon.

I'm buying a piece of nostalgia. Kraftwagen may be mechanically similar, but it isn't the game I played. (lame but true)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

I didn't like the original but I'm 90% sure it's just me, everyone else seems to enjoy it.

I also didn't like Heaven & Ale, which has some of the same "choose your next action, and if you go forward too far everyone else gets to take extra actions" stuff, and I dunno, maybe it's actually an auction in disguise so I'm suuuuper bad at it?

(in before Chill says everything is an auction in disguise)

Worker placements, like drafts, are just different types of auctions. There is no way to numerically supersede another bidder aside from taking adjacent positions that lower their choices to be less ideal, but you are still optimizing a limited set of resources.

Heaven and ale has some of the worst tableau building tech tracks I’ve seen in a while. The ratios feel off though the idea is sound. I think the brewmaster has too much sway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I use plaques for large denominations because keeping a pile of chips around can get messy especially in games like Indonesia where 1s and 5s are common until the end game but you'll never break change for a $500. Variety in token shape and size is helpful to clear clutter. They also make a good president's share stand in.

There's no reason to buy them if you have enough chip variety but they add a bit of extra blind and uh "chip feel" to the game. Seriously never heard anyone use chip feel before, I need a shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Just use a Millennium Blades wad.