Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s nothing to be exonerated of, he’s just a creep. The thing that worked in his favor was that the piece was horribly written and did the woman a horrible disservice.

It was on what felt like a gossip blog, and when outside female journalists would criticize it the author went on a attack spree saying no one cares what old women who aren't in touch with modern fashion think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I appreciated Brittas change in personality. The worst role for any woman in comedy is the Kevin James' love-interest character who, despite being in a comedy, gets to tell no jokes and is completely disposable come the sequel. Britta being a hipster oddball who is a shallow soapbox-preaching know-it-all and is often the butt of the joke is what every comedy could have.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I appreciated Brittas change in personality. The worst role for any woman in comedy is the Kevin James' love-interest character who, despite being in a comedy, gets to tell no jokes and is completely disposable come the sequel. Britta being a hipster oddball who is a shallow soapbox-preaching know-it-all and is often the butt of the joke is what every comedy could have.
She's easily the best character

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Calaveron posted:

Over half the cast of parks and rec are people I wouldn't even want to be near in real life. April is a horrible surly teenager, Andy was fun before they paired him up with April and then he was also a horrible mentally challenged teenager, Tom is just a gigantic horrible loving rear end in a top hat, Jerry is old and useless and is the kinda person you just wanna avoid, Ron would be incredibly tedious to be around, Leslie even more so. Ben and Donna would be the only OK people to be around

gently caress you, Jerry would be awesome to hang out with.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IIRC this is exactly why they changed the role and I think she specifically wanted Britta to be dumber too. Speaking of IASIP, Dee's character basically did the same thing from season 1 to season 2.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jeff and Annie mostly came across as weird because the character is much younger than the actress in story, but due to them (the actors) bring in a more acceptable age range from each other they gloss over it pretty hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Jeff and Annie mostly came across as weird because the character is much younger than the actress in story, but due to them (the actors) bring in a more acceptable age range from each other they gloss over it pretty hard.
The final scene between them in the finale is so good it almost retroactively makes it okay, but not quite. It was super uncomfortable the first time I watched the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Britta is the best. But really mostly s 2-3, since they sort of hosed up everything after that as well. Except the episode with Pierces will which is amazing.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Parks and Rec did go out of it's way to dunk on Men's Rights activist which I appreciate.

I liked that show but I'm probably not gonna rewatch it anytime soon. It's such a product of it's time that it hurts it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

OutOfPrint posted:

I could never get into The Office. It reminds me too much of Always Sunny in that it's about horrible people doing horrible things, but, unlike Sunny, they never really face the horrible consequences of their horrible actions, instead being treated as misunderstood heroes. The Scott's Tots bit was the worst of it and made me a little sick after watching Michael get exonerated by the writers by singing the song the kids sang to him as a thank you in the car afterwards.

Michael felt like total poo poo after the ordeal. He only felt slightly better after Erin suggested that without his empty promise, those kids may not have graduated. What did you want to happen? The kids to beat him to a bloody pulp?

The only main character on The Office that I would say is a truly terrible person is Ryan.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress you, Jerry would be awesome to hang out with.

Admit it, you just want to see Jerry's hanging out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Michael felt like total poo poo after the ordeal. He only felt slightly better after Erin suggested that without his empty promise, those kids may not have graduated. What did you want to happen? The kids to beat him to a bloody pulp?

The only main character on The Office that I would say is a truly terrible person is Ryan.

Creed was no angel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Andy, April, and Gerry are the only Parks and Rec characters I’d dare hang with.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
April would be absolutely exhausting to be around

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they're fun to watch, not to hang out with. geez. i don't want to hang out with captain kirk* either

*i do actually

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

they're fun to watch, not to hang out with. geez. i don't want to hang out with captain kirk* either

*i do actually

I'll hang out on any of the Enterprises

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I literally cannot imagine preferring Ben to April. This is not a joke.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Community holds up great.

Top 3 Britta moments:

Britta's new best friend is a lesbian. Everyone should just stop staring and talking about it, it's a complete non issue. Turns out the new friend is straight, only friends with Britta because she thought she was a lesbian.

Britta has an activist relapse after seeing pics of some old friends on Facebook. She lashes out in protest against The Man, who happens to be new campus security guard, Chang.

Britta leading the revolution against the tyranny of people with 5 Meow Meow Beanz on the new social score app.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They gave April such a lovely ending too. She was the absolute last person that would want to take a bureaucratic career, get married, settle down and have kids. But somehow she was convinced that this is what she wanted because every character needed a perfect fairytale ending.

But I guess it doesn't bother me that much because she wasn't a good character, she was just a walking quirky quote generator like most of the cast.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
everything they did with chang after he was fired is terrible and the show crawled up its own rear end somewhere in the middle of season 2. still some good eps though

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

everything they did with chang after he was fired is terrible and the show crawled up its own rear end somewhere in the middle of season 2. still some good eps though

The later Chang episodes where he was an actor in a school production of the Karate Kid, and the one where he does an impromptu one man show in front of a ghost theater were good.

The one where he spontaneously becomes a celebrity for a commercial he starred in, with the expression Ham, Girl! is good too now that think of it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

OutOfPrint posted:

This right here. My wife put P&R on as her background noise show, and nowadays it carries that undercurrent of "If we leave things alone and not worry too much it'll all work out" that looks downright quaint these days.

Someone once made a similar comment about Portlandia: it hails from a time where we thought everything was going to work out and just keep getting gradually better. In the current day, it looks a bit insular and oblivious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I’ve heard the change was mostly because Gillian Jacobs is good at goofy comedy and the show runners figured that out and wrote to her strengths.

Honestly I’m not fond of the term “Flanderization”, or rather its overuse- broad comedy is just as valid as the subtler stuff and it’s all about how a character fits with the dynamics of an ensemble. In the early days of a series writers aren’t always sure how everyone fits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I’m not fond of the term “Flanderization”, or rather its overuse- broad comedy is just as valid as the subtler stuff and it’s all about how a character fits with the dynamics of an ensemble. In the early days of a series writers aren’t always sure how everyone fits.

Hell, the Flanders' definitely became more engaging and interesting characters when they leaned into them being super-religious. Rod and Todd benefited more than Ned, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kickascii posted:

The later Chang episodes where he was an actor in a school production of the Karate Kid, and the one where he does an impromptu one man show in front of a ghost theater were good.

The one where he spontaneously becomes a celebrity for a commercial he starred in, with the expression Ham, Girl! is good too now that think of it.
All of this is in Season 6. 6 is a great season, Community goes out on a high note.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I literally cannot imagine preferring Ben to April. This is not a joke.

Agreed. Who would want to hang out with a guy that just wants to sit around playing board games and drinking with friends when they could hang out with an annoying snarky teenager who's actually in their late 20's?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Hell, the Flanders' definitely became more engaging and interesting characters when they leaned into them being super-religious. Rod and Todd benefited more than Ned, though.

I think part of the shift was, it became obvious that the Religious Right were really that far gone and just “a well meaning overzealous guy” was going too easy on them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think part of the shift was, it became obvious that the Religious Right were really that far gone and just “a well meaning overzealous guy” was going too easy on them.

I don’t think that Flanders’ original personality was such because the Simpsons writing team thought religious people were too good to lampoon. That just wasn’t the role he was meant to play, at least at first.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They gave April such a lovely ending too. She was the absolute last person that would want to take a bureaucratic career, get married, settle down and have kids. But somehow she was convinced that this is what she wanted because every character needed a perfect fairytale ending.

But I guess it doesn't bother me that much because she wasn't a good character, she was just a walking quirky quote generator like most of the cast.

Or, you know, people change? People get older, want different things. Going back to Community, when Britta meets her old friends and they wonder why the gently caress she's still stuck as a rebelling teenager in her mid 30s when everyone else grew up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ariong posted:

I don’t think that Flanders’ original personality was such because the Simpsons writing team thought religious people were too good to lampoon. That just wasn’t the role he was meant to play, at least at first.

The original point of Ned Flanders was that he was just a neighbor whose life was somewhat better and more successful than Homer's and Homer resented him for it. The religion stuff came later.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreed. Who would want to hang out with a guy that just wants to sit around playing board games and drinking with friends when they could hang out with an annoying snarky teenager who's actually in their late 20's?

Exactly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No, no, no...... you see I was.....what I was trying to do is..............I believe it was Aristotle that once said,

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The original point of Ned Flanders was that he was just a neighbor whose life was somewhat better and more successful than Homer's and Homer resented him for it. The religion stuff came later.

Yeah, Ned came about largely as a foil for Homer. A better person in every way, including being a better Christian.That version did last a surprisingly long time--we even got an episode about Ned Flanders with no mention of religion, the Leftorium episode. But I think as they stretched out what they wanted the show to be they realized that interpretation didn't have a whole lot of mileage in it, the only characters he's really got material when clashing with is Homer and maybe Bart. Making him super-religious does lessen that character's depth a bit, but it gives the writers a whole lot more to work with, including actual personalities for his kids and a wealth of off-notes to play about outside-church American Christian life.

They were very rarely actually vicious about Christianity with Ned, that's more reserved for Reverend Lovejoy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even Reverend Lovejoy had his sympathetic moments. Glad I'm not the only one who figured Ned Flanders' shift to religious fundamentalist came along with American culture realising how far gone the religious right had become to the point where the idea of a strongly religious person being pleasant and friendly has become laughably quaint.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Everyone talks about the sex criminals on Parks and Rec, but no one brings up that Chris Pratt once worked for Jews For Jesus and now goes to an infamously homophobic mega church.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

Everyone talks about the sex criminals on Parks and Rec, but no one brings up that Chris Pratt once worked for Jews For Jesus and now goes to an infamously homophobic mega church.

Isn't he also big on prosperity gospel and bootstraps because he used to live in a van?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't he also big on prosperity gospel and bootstraps because he used to live in a van?

I wouldn't be surprised. He started working with JFJ because a guy outside a liquor store asked him if he was "planning on fornicating" that night (his words) so Pratt followed that guy to his house and he started mailing letters to jews to convert.
Edit: also, he didn't know what Jewish people were despite being 19 years old.
https://pagesix.com/2019/01/14/everything-newly-engaged-chris-pratt-has-said-about-his-faith/

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Mar 23, 2019

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Chris Pratt and his ex-wife are also lovely to animals and treat their pets like disposable accessories

Ktb has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Mar 23, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Homer was Ned's Grimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The other feasible headcanon is that Flanders went religion-crazy to cope with Maude's death.