Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

They literally named one ship after Dan Rather and Connie Chung simultaneously as well.

EDIT: Obviously it's a ship with either a saucer separation mode or a Multi-Vector Assault Mode :v:

Brokaw and Jennings get their own ships but Rather has to share one with his wife haha lol :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I just saw Worf angrily pop an amazing technicolor bubble head that only lets people in whose hearts are joyous.

Hilarious. "Cost of Living" was worth being an Alexander episode just for that.

I mean, someone had to think, "what if someone runs this holodeck program who isn't particularly joyous? What if they strike our colorface monster?" The the programmer said, "it just pops like a balloon."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

A lot of the things you think of as "barely concealed slash" are just from the days when men had friends, it's a cultural shift.

Post-TOS fiction is literally where the word slash comes from.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

Is there a USS Brexit

There was, however it just hung out in dry dock for a few years before blowing up.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Drone posted:

My dumb little free time project over the past few weeks/months has been reading my way through old lovely Trek books in publishing order, because that window of what Star Trek was in the pre-TNG days is just completely fascinating and different to what we have now. I've been writing reviews/roasts of each one and am building up a little bit of a backlog before I start putting them up on a Wordpress somewhere for nobody to ever read.

And because there was a metric poo poo ton of: racism (casual and otherwise), sexism (always blatant), Kirk/Spock slash fiction with just the bearest hint of window dressing to make it seem like maybe it wasn't about how much they wanted to bone or how their love for each other transcends galaxies, complete misunderstanding or failing to predict the ideological bent that Star Trek has/would later cement (like in the Marshak and Culbreath example).

Drone, i am finding these insights into early trek fandom quite interesting and would strongly encourage you to make the blog

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

There was, however it just hung out in dry dock for a few years before blowing up.

That's not a nice thing to say about the Excelsior :v:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Unless there is a Star Wars/Marvel crossover*, it's definitely true that both franchises offer unique literature for the discriminating reader of fiction.

*who am I kidding, without looking I'm going to say of course there is

too late

(easter egg from DS9 season 1, "A Man Alone")

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Drone posted:

USS Concept of the Divine Right of Kings over here
I can imagine that as a General Systems Vehicle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I watched Endgame again after seeing that list of most rewatched episodes and not remembering much about it.

What an anticlimactic piece of poo poo that episode is. Christ. I guess it's appropriate for Voyager to end on just a minute long wet fart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Post-TOS fiction is literally where the word slash comes from.

You are NOT the star trek slash fanfiction expert in the room, MikeJF!!!!!!

Anyway, seriously though. A lot of older literature seems really gay because men were allowed to express affection. That doesn't mean the authors intended it to come across as homosexual content as such. It's a mistake to misinterpret affection between men as inherently sexualized. It's a mistake to interpret contact among people as inherently sexualized. Our entire world is so oversexualized that intergenerational friendships are rarer than they've ever been and people are increasingly isolated for weird, freaky reasons. Don't make one of those reasons Star Trek.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Grand Fromage posted:

I watched Endgame again after seeing that list of most rewatched episodes and not remembering much about it.

What an anticlimactic piece of poo poo that episode is. Christ. I guess it's appropriate for Voyager to end on just a minute long wet fart.

Never mind literally anything else about the episode, anything at all. Not having ANY PAYOFF after the present Voyager makes it back to Earth was just as loving bad as the Finale of Enterprise. Jesus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a superb example of why stories need the denouement, at least.

Ta-da! There's Earth. Roll credits.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Hey my life is complete though, Chief Engineer Argyle followed me on Twitter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also I'm sort of baffled by something that's obvious but my brain is dumb as a pint of bricks today. To be in Starfleet, you don't have to be Federation (in "The Chase" it's mentioned that there are Starfleet members who are from non-Federation worlds, and of course the Ferengi Alliance is not Federation but they accepted Nog). So what is the governmental relationship or official relationship between the Federation and Starfleet?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Starfleet has its origins in Earth’s exploratory force. It predates the Federation, because the term is already in use in ENT when there is no Fed yet. But Earth is also a founding member of the Federation so Starfleet winds up doing a lot of lifting for the Federation, and Earth’s close relationship with other founding members and prominent role in the Federation lends an interplanetary character to Starfleet crews in the 90s era. (But in the 60s they didn’t have this yet, there are Vulcan-only Starfleet ships but the Enterprise crew is all humans with one obvious exception). As the 90s wear on and the Federation is threatened militarily on a grand scale by Borg, Klingons, Dominion, etc. Starfleet becomes more like a general military force for the Federation.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pick posted:

Also I'm sort of baffled by something that's obvious but my brain is dumb as a pint of bricks today. To be in Starfleet, you don't have to be Federation (in "The Chase" it's mentioned that there are Starfleet members who are from non-Federation worlds, and of course the Ferengi Alliance is not Federation but they accepted Nog). So what is the governmental relationship or official relationship between the Federation and Starfleet?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet
Federation's combination military and space exploration agency, so I'm guessing the closest analog is the French Foreign Legion except with integration of foreign members into the main service

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

There's no good analogs to present day organizations. The way I figure it, The Federation is like a more powerful and all-encompassing UN and Starfleet is more similar to an exploration-centered NATO.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a throwaway line in DS9 about how one of the details to work out when Bajor joins the Federation is integrating the Bajoran militia into Starfleet which implies that its the only Federation military, at least.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Federation is a UN combined with an EU combined with a NATO.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Non US citizens can join the US military.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Epicurius posted:

Non US citizens can join the US military.

Service guarantees citizenship!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Service guarantees citizenship!

Well, it did until 2017...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Starfleet is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps (a uniformed service of the United States with its own fleet) writ large.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The EU/background material I read said that Jabba's palace used to be a monastery which Jabba forcibly took over, and some of the monks still live there. They're the brains in jars running around on robot bodies, since they believed in attaining spiritual enlightenment through complete detachment from the flesh.

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a throwaway line in DS9 about how one of the details to work out when Bajor joins the Federation is integrating the Bajoran militia into Starfleet which implies that its the only Federation military, at least.

And towards the end, Kira is given a Starfleet commission and uniform, despite presumably not being a Federation citizen yet.

I get the feeling Starfleet's meant to be extremely flexible, often to its advantage.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I also always sorta got the impression that citizenship as we understand it today doesn't exist in the 23rd century either. I mean, the modern idea of citizenship/border control/etc. is a pretty recent invention, only in the last 150-200 years or so. It's not unreasonable to assume that there isn't such a thing as a Federation passport or explicit Federation citizenship... or there is, but it's stupidly easy to get, as having hundreds of worlds to settle relieves issues with population pressure and anti-immigrant sentiment.

That being said the Federation also works... well, much more like a federation would. Vulcans might have Vulcan citizenship, but on top of that they would have Federation citizenship as well, like is currently the case in the EU.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
While the details of how it works have shifted a ton, some concept of citizenship has existed for at least two thousand years, if only to be able to have a legal distinction between "locals" and "foreigners"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

cheetah7071 posted:

While the details of how it works have shifted a ton, some concept of citizenship has existed for at least two thousand years, if only to be able to have a legal distinction between "locals" and "foreigners"

Oh it's definitely a heck of a lot longer than that, even though the terms for citizenship were usually along the lines of "bow to our god* or die"

*or sleep with us it's all good haha I'm just playin haha but can you imagine tho

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Drone posted:

I also always sorta got the impression that citizenship as we understand it today doesn't exist in the 23rd century either. I mean, the modern idea of citizenship/border control/etc. is a pretty recent invention, only in the last 150-200 years or so. It's not unreasonable to assume that there isn't such a thing as a Federation passport or explicit Federation citizenship... or there is, but it's stupidly easy to get, as having hundreds of worlds to settle relieves issues with population pressure and anti-immigrant sentiment.

That being said the Federation also works... well, much more like a federation would. Vulcans might have Vulcan citizenship, but on top of that they would have Federation citizenship as well, like is currently the case in the EU.

There is absolutely some kind of Federation citizenship/status, it's brought up in Journey's End when the colony agrees to no longer be a federation colony.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Citizenship since antiquity has always been essential for two things, paying taxes and military drafting, I doubt both of those are very relevant to the Federation though.

Anyway, I'm going to rewatch Deep Space 9 soon, it has been more than six years since the lat time I saw it and I have very fuzzy memories of a lot of episodes. Hope you all don't mind if I post my thoughts of every chapter, it helps me get motivated.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Angry Lobster posted:

Citizenship since antiquity has always been essential for two things, paying taxes and military drafting, I doubt both of those are very relevant to the Federation though.

It's also who or what (if anything) you recognize as sovereign and therefore where to go to redress grievances.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

There is absolutely some kind of Federation citizenship/status, it's brought up in Journey's End when the colony agrees to no longer be a federation colony.

Right. That's the whole thing behind the Maquis/Cardassian peace treaty story arc...the colonists behind Cardassian lines under the redrawn borders lose their Federation citizenship and the Cardassians promise them that the Cardassian government will make sure they're protected. When the Cardassians break their promuse, and let Cardassian colonists harass them the colonists arm themselves and put together militia to guard the colonies, and that's the roots of the Maquis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The root is really that the maquis are dipshit people

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pick posted:

In their defense, they wanted to kill Cardassians, so big thumbs up to them there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

This is so true

All of the Maquis leaders are smug bastards

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm literally motherfucking Jean Valjean you dickssss, tell me I ain't

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's like we are meant to draw parallels to people on earth left behind on the wrong side of the border thanks to politicians signing treaties, trapped, foreigners in their own homeland etc. But it all just immediately falls apart since they all seem to be recent settlers or starfleet people who just joined up to kill cardies. The Maquis are poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

In their defense, they wanted to kill Cardassians, so big thumbs up to them there.

mods

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Epicurius posted:

Right. That's the whole thing behind the Maquis/Cardassian peace treaty story arc...the colonists behind Cardassian lines under the redrawn borders lose their Federation citizenship and the Cardassians promise them that the Cardassian government will make sure they're protected. When the Cardassians break their promuse, and let Cardassian colonists harass them the colonists arm themselves and put together militia to guard the colonies, and that's the roots of the Maquis.

Well, that was the case for the Indian colony, but it didn't seem to be the case so much for the Maquis as we saw them in DS9. People on every side were constantly talking about how these were Federation Citizens, not humans, not colonists, be it Dukat using that as a cudgel to assign blame to the Federation for their actions, or the Maquis whining to Starfleet for not fighting for their dumb cause, or Starfleet types bemoaning the mess they were in because of their dumb terroristy citizens messing up the treaty with the Cardassians.

It was more like the Federation told them to evacuate the planets, and offered any help or assistance they needed to do so, but when the Maquis didn't, and hung around to get shot at by Cardassians and murder Cardassians, the Federation just shrugged and said 'well, tried my best, I don't see how we can solve this now'. They didn't forcibly evacuate them, before or after the deadlines, and it's not like they were all going guerilla or in a mobile ship fleet or whatever, the colonies were exactly where they were before the treaty, full of the same people they were beforehand.

Honestly, it was all kind of weird. Best I can tell, it was basically all a 'gentleman's agreement' situation, where the Cardassians didn't go in and full genocide/forcible displacement because they didn't want to piss off the Feds too badly, and their own colonies on the Federation side DID all evacuate and go back to the Cardassian territories (because to do otherwise would be to defy the state, and, well) so we never actually heard about them, the only Cardassian colonies we ever heard about getting attacked by the Maquis (and allegedly receiving weapons from the Cardassian state) were the ones that were already there/in their territory before the treaty got signed, so literally their neighbors before the treaty, so they were basically demanding not only to stay and be sovereign/federation colony-ish, but that their pre-established neighbors GTFO and...give their territory to them, or just leave it empty, or just die, or...??? it's not like these were new settlements meant to edge them out or anything.

The Maquis were really dumb.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I always wonder how quickly those stubborn space Indians Native Americans got wiped out by the Cardassians after they accepted their governance.

Especially since they lost their best weed dude because he was secretly the Traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Maquis are loving yuppies and I hope they burn in hellthe fire caves