Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There was an interesting statistic where Superbowl winning teams almost never have a high priced receiver. Soaks up too much of the cap I guess.

I think that's just a fluke more then anything. I mean, Julio caught what 99/100 times would've been the game winning ball and the Rams crapping the bed wasn't because Cooks makes too much money.

Also Demaryius had a $13m cap hit in 2015, so actually I'm just gonna thumbs down this stat.

Huh, Boldin was only making $7m on the Ravens in 2012, would've guessed higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There was an interesting statistic where Superbowl winning teams almost never have a high priced receiver. Soaks up too much of the cap I guess.

I wonder how much the absurdity of the Patriots success has skewed statistics like these.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder how much the absurdity of the Patriots success has skewed statistics like these.

My first thought as well.

I think it’d be better to look at the 4 teams that make it to the championship games rather than just SB winner.

Keep in mind I agree generally that there are better places to spend cap than WRs. Especially if you have a great qb them all star WRs are way less important.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
WRs don’t really contribute on a high enough percentage of snaps to warrant $13-15M/year. A few guys do, but they are the efficient volume guys who are also deep threats that open up the field on other plays. Pay your QB, OL, DL, and after that you pay your stars at other positions. If you get a guy who is just above average and he hits free agency, he is going to command Pro Bowl money, and those types of bad contracts are what sink teams.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kalli posted:

I think that's just a fluke more then anything. I mean, Julio caught what 99/100 times would've been the game winning ball and the Rams crapping the bed wasn't because Cooks makes too much money.

Also Demaryius had a $13m cap hit in 2015, so actually I'm just gonna thumbs down this stat.

Huh, Boldin was only making $7m on the Ravens in 2012, would've guessed higher.

any stat that just uses superbowl winners in a list as its data set is really dumb cause it assumes the nfl playoffs are at least somewhat deterministic and uhhhhhh lmao

also it always reminds me of that stat browns fans pushed around here where it showed a list of rookie rbs with 300+ carries who had awful ypc, the list was all hall of famers and trent richardson. that means hes a hofer too right??

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Slowpoke! posted:

WRs don’t really contribute on a high enough percentage of snaps to warrant $13-15M/year. A few guys do, but they are the efficient volume guys who are also deep threats that open up the field on other plays. Pay your QB, OL, DL, and after that you pay your stars at other positions. If you get a guy who is just above average and he hits free agency, he is going to command Pro Bowl money, and those types of bad contracts are what sink teams.

If the Saints did not have Michael Thomas they would literally be the 2014 Chiefs.

Great googily moogily.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Slowpoke! posted:

I blame the Carolina Panthers' garbage WRs over the past decade for breaking you and leading to this opinion.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Slowpoke! posted:

Even if they're not actually catching passes, you need to have the legitimate threat of explosive plays on the outside. That opens up the field for short/medium passes and running the ball because teams have to honor it. The Chiefs didn't run the ball so well last year because they have a great run-blocking line, they ran it so well because of Tyreek Hill and Patrick Mahomes and the threat they represented.

What I'm trying to say is that the best receivers contribute way more than just their stat line. Every fragment of extra attention from the defense is a contribution from them to the team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing is, yeah, if you're building a team on paper, yes you would devote infinite money to the best QB, then stack your lines with talent and make do everywhere else, but the NFL doesn't work off only salary, you have to have that talent available to you, which is massively slanted towards draft picks and trades, which is doubly funny because of how randomly bullshit most draft picks are.

Also yeah, if you want to study how good NFL teams are made to put your team in the best position to replicate that... you should at least focus on the Conference championship participants and probably just expand to the divisional teams (and even then you're missing teams like the Bears who you should probably be looking at)

three
Aug 9, 2007

Kalli posted:

The thing is, yeah, if you're building a team on paper, yes you would devote infinite money to the best QB, then stack your lines with talent and make do everywhere else, but the NFL doesn't work off only salary, you have to have that talent available to you, which is massively slanted towards draft picks and trades, which is doubly funny because of how randomly bullshit most draft picks are.

Also yeah, if you want to study how good NFL teams are made to put your team in the best position to replicate that... you should at least focus on the Conference championship participants and probably just expand to the divisional teams (and even then you're missing teams like the Bears who you should probably be looking at)

It seems spending all your money elsewhere and then praying for a QB in the draft is the best route to success.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So the NFL is looking into doing some actual good rule changes.

Namely the 4th and 15 replacing onside kicks thing.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1109103428104527872

They're also almost certainly going to make DPI/Roughing the Passer/Unnecessary Roughness a reviewable thing because the Competition Committee recommended it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

axeil posted:

Should have gone the other way with the onsides rules. Only allow the receiving team to put one guy on the line on either side. Give both sides a 10-yard running start.

three posted:

It seems spending all your money elsewhere and then praying for a QB in the draft is the best route to success.

Who Dat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

three posted:

Good 2nd year QBs are the biggest competitive advantage to have

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

Should have gone the other way with the onsides rules. Only allow the receiving team to put one guy on the line on either side. Give both sides a 10-yard running start.

Like, let's just go full rugby/dodgeball rules.

1 Football in middle.

5 men either side.

Whistle.

All rush for football.

Fight.

1 guy gets Football and all men back up to their half of the field.

Throw. HIT! One guy eliminated. Ball is now on that side of the field so other team gets to throw to eliminate the other side.

Last man standing wins.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Having an all-time great at WR doesn't correlate to post-season success. They can't compensate for average coaching and/or less than stellar defense.

That said, AB singlehandedly won a whole bunch of regular season games. It just doesn't translate to the playoffs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Having an all-time great at WR doesn't correlate to post-season success. They can't compensate for average coaching and/or less than stellar defense.

That said, AB singlehandedly won a whole bunch of regular season games. It just doesn't translate to the playoffs

that said, nothing correlates to playoff success like being able to get to the playoffs :v:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
On the other hand Fitzgerald almost single handedly won a super bowl

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Good 2nd year QBs are the biggest competitive advantage to have

Whens the last time a 2nd year QB won the super bowl

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Wilson

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kurt Loadeater posted:

Roethlisberger, 2005

e- oops, you're right

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't think you can correlate one specific position to be the make or break for a team winning a Super Bowl especially when you only have a sample size of 53 Super Bowl teams to choose from and you field 24 different starters and probably gain a shitton of value from your top 10-15 backup guys.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Metapod posted:

On the other hand Fitzgerald almost single handedly won a super bowl

A great QB/above average WR and a stellar defense made sure he didn't.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Punters Win Championships

Nov 6, 2002

There aren't enough playoff games to correlate squat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It seems your playoff chances are decent-to-good if your team name starts with “Pat”. Maybe other teams should change their team names to raise their chances.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There aren't enough playoff games to correlate squat.

This. The highest n of the bunch is 33.

I'm doing pants-shittingly bad in Stats and even I can see that one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shane Ray visiting Indy

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers should really lowball shane ray on a 1 year prove it deal imo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1109196466420109312?s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

axeil posted:

They're also almost certainly going to make DPI/Roughing the Passer/Unnecessary Roughness a reviewable thing because the Competition Committee recommended it.

dope

Kurt Loadeater posted:

You could also make a case for 2018, Foles played that game but it was Wentz and his cheap contract which allowed them to pay other guys which got the team there

Nov 6, 2002

yeeeeeeeees

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's weird how there's been zero news about Ndamukong Suh so far

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I live in a complex that gives me free Time Warner cable.

Give me gameday.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

It's weird how there's been zero news about Ndamukong Suh so far

Agreed, something must be happening behind the scenes though. Probably one of if not the biggest free agent left

three
Aug 9, 2007

Play posted:

Agreed, something must be happening behind the scenes though. Probably one of if not the biggest free agent left

He’s a big phony.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

three posted:

He’s a big phony.

That too. To whatever team he's talking to, I recommend NOT giving him a multi-year deal. Even with a one year deal you'll only get 4 games of actual effort

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The virgin Cam and the Chad Brady:

https://deadspin.com/just-like-you-cam-newton-is-not-having-sex-1833488199

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Maybe Cam is a Seinfeld fan.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

axeil posted:

I like it but hate the once per game thing, should be like once per quarter or half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kawalimus posted:

I like it but hate the once per game thing, should be like once per quarter or half.

it should be available as long as you're trailing. can't do it if you're up or tied