Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Rasen Bran did a good playthrough (as good as you can for a game like Drakengard, at least). Cuts out all the meandering and covers some of the stuff that was left on the cutting room floor. Shame about that other one though, I was really enjoying it.

This is exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Can anyone recommend a decent VLP of the original Resident Evil 1?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sirocco posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent VLP of the original Resident Evil 1?
Lotus Prince on YouTube did a solid LP of the Director's Cut version, including all the bonus content. I don't care for the video intros or the fact he reads the text out loud, but overall he does a good job and his commentary style is very chill.

There's also the Saturn version LP from last year, but since I did that one I'm not sure how decent it is. :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

are there any remaining archives of the mega man 2 & 3 races that were hosted by phiggle? they featured diabetus, dectilon, syrg, vicas, etc. a whole bunch of cool people basically. syrg did a spot-on impression of nicolas cage where he talks about how "sometimes you've just got to let the dog drive." i found a link to them but they were hosted on an lper's personal site that has since died

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I dont know if it's the exact crew but you should be able to find several hosted on Smight and Psychedelic Eyeballs youtube channels.

https://youtu.be/fkJn2kOlwlY

Bonus Dongs race

https://youtu.be/axoK1GyvqY8

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MillennialVulcan posted:

I dont know if it's the exact crew but you should be able to find several hosted on Smight and Psychedelic Eyeballs youtube channels.

https://youtu.be/fkJn2kOlwlY

Bonus Dongs race

https://youtu.be/axoK1GyvqY8

those are good but this was a big tournament. the ones from mm4 and on that were part of simplysimon's LPs are on youtube but the ones of mm2/mm3 that were the immediate predecessors to the simplysimon races are what i'm after

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, hey, that reminds me - anyone aware of good, informative LPs of the Megaman Zero and ZX games?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Jazerus posted:

are there any remaining archives of the mega man 2 & 3 races that were hosted by phiggle? they featured diabetus, dectilon, syrg, vicas, etc. a whole bunch of cool people basically. syrg did a spot-on impression of nicolas cage where he talks about how "sometimes you've just got to let the dog drive." i found a link to them but they were hosted on an lper's personal site that has since died

I dunno about any MM2 or 3 races, but the Nicolas Cage impression is from this pair of videos.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Doc M posted:

Lotus Prince on YouTube did a solid LP of the Director's Cut version, including all the bonus content. I don't care for the video intros or the fact he reads the text out loud, but overall he does a good job and his commentary style is very chill.

There's also the Saturn version LP from last year, but since I did that one I'm not sure how decent it is. :v:

Thanks!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, hey, that reminds me - anyone aware of good, informative LPs of the Megaman Zero and ZX games?

They only went up to Zero 2, but Simply Simon or Gamwhiz might be what you're looking for. I'm not entirely sure about Simon but I know Gam also did the first game, but that was basically already done by the time he joined SA so it's not on the archive.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I dunno about any MM2 or 3 races, but the Nicolas Cage impression is from this pair of videos.

thanks curtiss

i'd still be interested in the older races but i'm glad to find that particular race again

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kadorhal posted:

They only went up to Zero 2, but Simply Simon or Gamwhiz might be what you're looking for. I'm not entirely sure about Simon but I know Gam also did the first game, but that was basically already done by the time he joined SA so it's not on the archive.
I never got around to doing Zero 2 even though I love it, but I did basically everything in Zero 1 including having someone help me out for the last Hard Mode videos because I sucked too much to do them myself. I can recommend Gamwhiz' LP too, he did a great job!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I never got around to doing Zero 2 even though I love it, but I did basically everything in Zero 1 including having someone help me out for the last Hard Mode videos because I sucked too much to do them myself. I can recommend Gamwhiz' LP too, he did a great job!
Yeah, your LP was basically the kind I was hoping to find for the rest of the games. Still, thanks for the recs, I'll try trawling youtube for the later ones.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Is anyone decent to watch playing that new Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice game?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ashrik posted:

Is anyone decent to watch playing that new Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice game?

Angriest Pat's streaming it constantly. So is fellow SBF alum RisingSuperStream (Liam). Also Sleepcycles. I presume some of the Souls streaming/lping goons will get to it at some point so keep an eye on like CJacobs or ChaosArgate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have been streaming it, yeah! I haven't pushed the streams to YouTube yet but the first part (blind) is here on Twitch. On the second stream I go through the beginning of the game again, but not-blind, and make more progress from there.

edit: The first part is up on YouTube now if you'd rather not use Twitch's crappy video player. There's some controller weirdness so feel free to jump to 17:30 after the CG intro.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 26, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is anyone good streaming Outward? I'm interested but also no one is talking about it so not really game to buy it blind.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A Sometimes Food posted:

Angriest Pat's streaming it constantly. So is fellow SBF alum RisingSuperStream (Liam). Also Sleepcycles. I presume some of the Souls streaming/lping goons will get to it at some point so keep an eye on like CJacobs or ChaosArgate.

It's on my list, but I wanna do it the same way I did Demon's Souls and Bloodborne where my copilots actually know the game, so don't expect my run to start for at least a month or two. :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any good/fun blind SSLPs? It's a weird format so I wonder if it can be done

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 28, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

If you're ok with pokemon, there's Let's Blindly Poke Some Mons.
Blind LP of Fire Red by someone who only played up to Mt. Moon once on the original GB game about 20 years ago.

It kinda stalled out but the OP may come back to it. They took a break over winter before coming back to it a month ago but nothing since then. I kinda like it since it's kinda novel watching someone "new" to the game despite the franchise being decades old and very widespread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a group like StrawHatNo who did RE:7? Let's plays that are both Informative and entertaining are like crack to me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a group like StrawHatNo who did RE:7? Let's plays that are both Informative and entertaining are like crack to me.
Men Drinking Coffee?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I just read Thuryl's excellent LPs of Might and Magic I - V on the LP archive. Is anyone aware of decent LPs on the rest of the series? Especially VI? I'd prefer an SSLP but I'm open to whatever.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but years ago (long enough ago that I don't think it was even hosted on YouTube), I watched an LP here of a game that I can't remember the name of. It was very pretty and involved being stuck in some sort of limbo or dream world and seeking out women whose essences the player had to absorb, or something, while avoiding their guardian. I think it was first person, had noticeably clunky gameplay, and involved painting in some way. I remember a graphic of a person with the limbic system or venous system or some such highlighted. Occasionally the narrative would shift to the real world, briefly. I think the title started with an I, but very unsure about that part.

Anyone have any idea what game that is?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Probably The Void (originally titled Tension for the Russian release) by CanibalCK9.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 26, 2019

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Keeshhound posted:

Probably The Void (originally titled Tension for the Russian release) by CanibalCK9.

Wow, that was fast - thank you! I spent ages looking for that.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Occultatio posted:

So if I've really enjoyed Agent355's La-Mulana LPs, Highwang's Hollow Knight and Smite's Environmental Station Alpha, what are other good ones I should check out in a similar vein? I'm basically looking for knowledgeable, completionist playthroughs of puzzle-y (or at least secret-filled) metroidvanias/exploration games.

That Axiom Verge LP I asked about a while back turned out to be Smite's ESA LP! Hell yeah!

Any good Evil Within 2 LPs? CJacobs' is pretty hiatus'd right now, but basically that would be good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
dscruffy1 did a real good one, and he actually finished his! It's blind so it may not be what you're looking for but it is still comprehensive, he did basically everything! :v:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You son of a gun! I'll give it a go, I normally bounce off blind ones but we'll see.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Any informative Sims 4 LPs I should check out? Something that covers base game basics but I'm open to amusing challenge runs too. Mostly I just want to watch someone cover enough of the game that I can decide if I should drop my own money on it or not.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Working through White Knight Chronicles and...well there's probably a couple of smilies that can sum up my feelings but sorting through the pile is too big a break from that trainwreck.

I'm tempted to read the original thread to see goons break down "why this didn't work", but the LP itself is long enough and I have only so many days in my life.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The thread was interesting because crow didn't ease into calling out its absurdity. It was also one of his first LPs so he was a bit of an unknown and a lot of people didn't know what to expect. There's was a bit of incredulity as to whether or not it would get as bad as he promised and some even called him out for being unnecessarily harsh. So the best thing was that slowly, inexorably, everyone in the thread came over to the side of "holy poo poo what the gently caress is this Level 5 why is it so bad and why is leonard so dumb".

We also had some early plans to do commentated gameplay videos but it wound up being so tedious that we wisely canned it. crow skipped a TONNE of tedious bullshit in order to make the game more accessible than it actually is.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dash Rendar posted:

The thread was interesting because crow didn't ease into calling out its absurdity. It was also one of his first LPs so he was a bit of an unknown and a lot of people didn't know what to expect. There's was a bit of incredulity as to whether or not it would get as bad as he promised and some even called him out for being unnecessarily harsh. So the best thing was that slowly, inexorably, everyone in the thread came over to the side of "holy poo poo what the gently caress is this Level 5 why is it so bad and why is leonard so dumb".

I've sadly been spoiled on Leonard's idiocy. But I'm still baffled at the terrible game design decisions (I keep drawing comparisons to Drakengard) and reasoning out why the story is such a dud.

I'm only on chapter 8, but the overarching mistake is the story keeps making is it's taking stuff that it's seen from other games and mashing them together with no thought of how to combine them. A story where the male and female lead have instant connection can work (see Ocarina of Time), but not when it has to coexist with FFT-style court politics, to give just one example.

quote:

We also had some early plans to do commentated gameplay videos but it wound up being so tedious that we wisely canned it. crow skipped a TONNE of tedious bullshit in order to make the game more accessible than it actually is.

What you left in seems hellish enough.

On a Scale of 1-to-TBC Black Temple unlock, how would rate what you left off?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I've sadly been spoiled on Leonard's idiocy. But I'm still baffled at the terrible game design decisions (I keep drawing comparisons to Drakengard) and reasoning out why the story is such a dud.

I'm only on chapter 8, but the overarching mistake is the story keeps making is it's taking stuff that it's seen from other games and mashing them together with no thought of how to combine them. A story where the male and female lead have instant connection can work (see Ocarina of Time), but not when it has to coexist with FFT-style court politics, to give just one example.

What you left in seems hellish enough.

On a Scale of 1-to-TBC Black Temple unlock, how would rate what you left off?

It was very very tortuous. I'd planned to do a walkabout of at the very least every big hub area of the game, namely Balandor, Parma, Albana, Greede, Baccea, and Faria, as well as going through the dungeons with uberleveled characters to curb stomp everything in my path for the sake of easing tedium. My intent was to give people a better sense of the worldspace and the game in action than could be conveyed through simple screenshots, but as Sally said, we sat down and did Balandor Castletown and Beneath Balandor Castle, just to bang them out one-two while we had the time and that was all we managed.

We just sort of collectively went to one another "holy christ, this is boring and we're out of things to talk about." So I decided to scrap it and focus on the story primarily, and gameplay where absolutely needed.

I also considered going through and doing all the side quests just for a complete experience because there actually was worldbuilding and flavour elements in those missions, but again they were largely tedious as poo poo and would have taken me probably another 40 hours of playing to get through, because they were just as poorly designed and geared towards the MMO aspect of the game that slogging them single player. Besides, all 11 hours of Vellgander kind of give you the gist of what most online quests were, complete with being able tough out the majority of the quest and then getting worked over at the end because it drops a megaboss on you as a gently caress you for not playing like 6 other human players.

tl;dr: yes, it was garbage hell all over.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nine-gear crow posted:

It was very very tortuous. I'd planned to do a walkabout of at the very least every big hub area of the game, namely Balandor, Parma, Albana, Greede, Baccea, and Faria, as well as going through the dungeons with uberleveled characters to curb stomp everything in my path for the sake of easing tedium. My intent was to give people a better sense of the worldspace and the game in action than could be conveyed through simple screenshots, but as Sally said, we sat down and did Balandor Castletown and Beneath Balandor Castle, just to bang them out one-two while we had the time and that was all we managed.

We just sort of collectively went to one another "holy christ, this is boring and we're out of things to talk about." So I decided to scrap it and focus on the story primarily, and gameplay where absolutely needed.

I also considered going through and doing all the side quests just for a complete experience because there actually was worldbuilding and flavour elements in those missions, but again they were largely tedious as poo poo and would have taken me probably another 40 hours of playing to get through, because they were just as poorly designed and geared towards the MMO aspect of the game that slogging them single player. Besides, all 11 hours of Vellgander kind of give you the gist of what most online quests were, complete with being able tough out the majority of the quest and then getting worked over at the end because it drops a megaboss on you as a gently caress you for not playing like 6 other human players.

tl;dr: yes, it was garbage hell all over.

The more I read, the more I wish I was aware of the thread and participated in the discussion. I guess that can be said of everything in the archive.

The thought that keeps occurring in my read through is "Someone wrote this. This is someone's (or a group's) intentional storytelling." Which begs the question: why? Why is everyone, especially the supposed hero, such utter imbeciles when Level-5 had complete control over what they did? I would love to see a breakdown of what happened behind-the-scenes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

The more I read, the more I wish I was aware of the thread and participated in the discussion. I guess that can be said of everything in the archive.

The thought that keeps occurring in my read through is "Someone wrote this. This is someone's (or a group's) intentional storytelling." Which begs the question: why? Why is everyone, especially the supposed hero, such utter imbeciles when Level-5 had complete control over what they did? I would love to see a breakdown of what happened behind-the-scenes.

It's so loving weird too, because the crew behind WKC also put out some legit good content before and after it. Like, I ragged on Akihiro Hino all across the LP, but the dude did also write the Professor Layton games, Inazuma Elevem, Ni no Kuni, Dark Cloud and Yo-kai Watch. So the guy's got his share of skill and talent, it's just somehow when it came to White Knight Chronicles he clipped every hurdle, broke both his ankles and then got hit by a dump truck 20 feet before the finish line.

The thread had a cottage industry between updates of coming up with ways to try and make White Knight Chronicles work (including a fanfic that went off into crazyland), but I maintain the one change you needed to make to have the plot work and not make Leonard look like an impossible gently caress up failure was actually have him rescue Cisna at the Bunker Lode ruins and then have her stay rescued and become a full time party member. You could then contrive a way to have the rest of the game flow the same way it did with all the other beats in place, but that's it. Just have Leonard succeed once. Just once. And it papers over pretty much everything else.

But no. We got what we got. And if I could go back and rip it to shreds all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

But no. We got what we got. And if I could go back and rip it to shreds all over again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

VLP, VLP!

I support you in your suffering!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
White Knight Chronicles: Press A to Play

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

VLP, VLP!

I support you in your suffering!

I actually still have all three game discs (WKC: International Edition, WKC II, AND the Japanese version of the game). So it is possible.

For the curious, the disc I broke at the end of the original LP was a separate copy I went out and bought at a used game store for like $20. I held on the broken disc shards, but I can't recall if they survived the move to my new place or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'll donate my copy.