Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

I wonder how much of that is because millennials realized they don't want or need that much space, and how much of that is because millennials can't afford giant houses(or any houses, if they live on the west coast).

Neither. The ones in question were built 15 years ago, so the people who should be in the right position to start buying those homes are Gen X, not millennials.

My guess is that anyone with the money to afford one would rather build new than pick up a used 15 year old McMansion. Somebody else's dream home isn't your dream home.

15 years is exactly when any especially trendy touches look incredibly dated, rather than quaint or classic. And the McMansion build quality of the time was . . . not great. Architectural features were (and still are) made of styrofoam, and that's going to see some wear and tear by this age. A 15 year old 'builder grade' house could be just a few years off from needing major maintenance like a new roof, new water heater, and new appliances. It's going to be full of the kind of stuff they make fun of in McMansion Hell, and GenX are just barely tuned in enough to know about it.

If you can afford a 15 year old 'dream house' you can afford a brand new house in the new subdivisision being built another 5 miles down the road. Maybe 3 bedrooms instead of 4, but a slightly smaller new house is nicer than a slightly tacky used house.
Or you may have learned from your parents, aunts, and uncles complaining about their 2 hour commute for the last 15 years and decided you'd rather have a condo or a heritage home closer to town. Your parents 4th of July BBQ is nice and all, but it's not worth having to mow a giant lawn all year round for the once or twice a year you might have a cookout (because genx are less social than our boomer parents, lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Haifisch posted:

I wonder how much of that is because millennials realized they don't want or need that much space, and how much of that is because millennials can't afford giant houses(or any houses, if they live on the west coast).

all young adults used to be kids that grew up cleaning those cavernous homes every weekend

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Ahahahahhha

oh wait sorry I thought this was the schadenfreude thread

and I guarantee it's more the latter than the former, there's a difference between "don't want the space" and "don't need the space, would make use of the space if it was available but the house is too expensive/poorly located even before we start talking about energy costs, maintenance, and property taxes"

if you handed someone a studio or a mcmansion and said "these will both cost you the same amount of money" I don't know anyone who would say "studio please"

poo poo, I might. I don't want to clean that much space, nor drop probably $15k to furnish it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

poo poo, I might. I don't want to clean that much space, nor drop probably $15k to furnish it.

My point is that it comes down to money though— you don’t want to pay to heat it, clean it, furnish it, but if money wasn’t a concern then why not? A room for you, a room for your dog, a room for your dog’s dog

(or more realistically, a bedroom, an office, a den, maybe a workout room, and like 6 spare guest bedrooms for your trans friends who got disowned by their parents)

Point being, mininal compressed living is usually something that stems from necessity (and I don’t mean rich person commodified “minimal” where you have a pure white show home mcmansion with no hint of humanity and you throw everything out because you’ll never not be able to buy it again if need be) and you embrace it because there’s no other option even if you wanted to (because the rents going to hike in a year and you’ll need to move again and if you can’t fit everything you own in your car then you won’t be able to afford movers anyways and etc, etc)

If you actually have the option to reclaim some elbow room instead of having your living/sleeping/working/exercising/eating/relaxing spaces stacked on top of each other in a studio apartment quantum superposition then most people will, but economic necessity from whatever direction is always going to be the primary reason any majority of people who stick with it, stick with it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Re: massive houses; I grew up in a massive house - a Victorian pile in North London that had somehow escaped conversion into flats. 3 storeys, six or seven bedrooms (!), huge high ceilings and rooms. My parents had a study *each* and they converted the basement into a seperate flat that my brothers lived in for a while.

It was absolutely and totally rad and awesome for about 20 years until the kids moved out, and then my parents sold up and moved because yeah, cleaning and maintaining a big house is a lot of work with only two people in their 60s to do all the cleaning, especially when one works full time and the other is freelance; plus after 170ish years houses with sash windows leak heat like crazy unless you get them replaced, which costs an absolutely disgusting amount of money.

I'll never ever be able to afford to live in a house that nice again, since they bought it incredibly cheap for what it was and since then housing prices have gone through the roof in London (they sold it for SIX TIMES what they bought it for.) Were the stars ever to align and I happened to be filthy stinking rich & that house was on the market while I was young enough to look after it, I would buy it back in a heartbeat. The luxury of space is fantastic in a well built house.

Of course, that was an extremely solidly built Victorian mansion of the Big Cube school of architecture, that had weathered 170 years with very little trouble and will easily stand for 200 more with only minimal maintenance; in central london; with a garden my mum carefully shaped planted into being mostly self-sustaining over the years, beyond a fortnightly mowing. I dunno that a 15 year old McMansion with styrofoam ornamentation, a floor plan designed by a drunk child, a 2hr commute, and an American style high maintenance all-grass lawn in a big open yard, would be anywhere near as good a home. Big houses can be amazing, but it's got to be the right big house.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 22, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

. A 15 year old 'builder grade' house could be just a few years off from needing major maintenance like a new roof, new water heater, and new appliances, sunken bath tubs to appeal to the :females:, new floor joists, brand new unpredictable tiling, bare, unpainted drywall in the poo poo closet.

Yeah, thats right around the time where thing start needing to be upgraded.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Boomers just think they're going to live forever. My parents are 65, and in sub-optimal health, my mom has to use a lift to get up the stairs, and my dad isn't very far behind. I know for a fact that my dad thinks I'm dumb as hell for not wanting to own a house because "it's an investment."

I still don't understand what that investment is.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomers just think they're going to live forever. My parents are 65, and in sub-optimal health, my mom has to use a lift to get up the stairs, and my dad isn't very far behind. I know for a fact that my dad thinks I'm dumb as hell for not wanting to own a house because "it's an investment."

I still don't understand what that investment is.

It’s equity! That you basically can’t use unless you sell it and don’t buy a new home for some reason. Or it’s for your kids to sell and enjoy after you die. I don’t get it either.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Those houses were built by people in their 50s and 60s who could afford to build big houses. It’s gen-x’ers in their 50s who can’t afford these houses, not millennials.

Edit:beaten.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

X and Yers work more hours too and a 3500sqft monstrosity in River Forest Lakeview Terrace Estate Gardens on the outer ring of the exurbs is pointless if you’re only going to sleep and poop in it. Those groups are having fewer kids too so no need for 7 in-law suites either.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I recently purchased an early 1900s craftsman bungalow with a formal dining room and I’m at a loss with what to do with it. The kitchen is just a little small to put an eat-in table there, but it seems silly to dedicate an entire room to eating like that.

If you have a small hutch in the kitchen where a regular table might be tight, maybe consider some built-in benches and a tabletop mounted like a Murphy bed? It could either have a drop-down strut as a support, or you could have it drop onto a counter island, or you could just have fold-up wings on a counter island, etc. A lot depends on floor plan. Regardless, then you could use the formal dining room for an entirely non-food-related purpose. Alternatively, devote only a portion of the dining room to a more compact non-formal eating area and do whatever you want with the rest of it. It's your house! Do what you want!

edit: This pricey and very holy-international-shipping-costs thing is pretty awesome, jeez.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 22, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Well, I still have ideas in my head for my metal furniture. This is another coffee table. Excuse my quick and dirty drawings

Roughly 19" high, made of three different stocks of aluminum. The legs and top would be 1/4", the lower shelf of 1/8" sheet, and the posts between the top and shelf would be 1/2" round bar.

The top would be 22"x36" in this..... this shape? I don't know what to call this shape. Bulged, oblate, rounded rectangle? I think I'm going to use a rough sandpaper and go to town on the top. I want to see about trying to make it almost seem as if there's wood grain in the metal top.

I drew up some legs, and kinda liked the shape, thought it might need something, and added some holes. Then decided to see how it would look with MORE holes. At that point I decided I like what I drew up in the middle the best, but also thinking that putting round holes in there might look a bit industrial, which is not what I'm going for.

I can appreciate the work that goes into making that, and I'm sure it has a place in someone's heart, but it's not what I'm after. Toying with the idea of different shapes in the legs, or hollowing out the leg shape to make it skeletal, like so?

I like the idea of simplifying this. I don't need to get crazy with cutting holes and poo poo. Anyway, thanks for reading my ideas for this poo poo!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I think it would look more MCM and less industrial with far, far, narrower legs than those diagrams. That style is big on spindly supports for furniture.

Big fan of the skeletal, almost but not quite hairpin legs.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 22, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The houses that aren't selling are the cheaply-produced exurban developments from the 90's. There's plenty of high-quality older places from like the 50s-60s or whatever that are in-demand.

Facebook Aunt posted:

My guess is that anyone with the money to afford one would rather build new than pick up a used 15 year old McMansion. Somebody else's dream home isn't your dream home.

15 years is exactly when any especially trendy touches look incredibly dated, rather than quaint or classic. And the McMansion build quality of the time was . . . not great. Architectural features were (and still are) made of styrofoam, and that's going to see some wear and tear by this age. A 15 year old 'builder grade' house could be just a few years off from needing major maintenance like a new roof, new water heater, and new appliances. It's going to be full of the kind of stuff they make fun of in McMansion Hell, and GenX are just barely tuned in enough to know about it.

If you can afford a 15 year old 'dream house' you can afford a brand new house in the new subdivisision being built another 5 miles down the road. Maybe 3 bedrooms instead of 4, but a slightly smaller new house is nicer than a slightly tacky used house.
Or you may have learned from your parents, aunts, and uncles complaining about their 2 hour commute for the last 15 years and decided you'd rather have a condo or a heritage home closer to town. Your parents 4th of July BBQ is nice and all, but it's not worth having to mow a giant lawn all year round for the once or twice a year you might have a cookout (because genx are less social than our boomer parents, lol).

This is basically it. The people who would want a place like that are probably just going to build a new one for about the same price anyway. Those houses were built like disposables and people are shocked when nobody wants to buy them 'used'.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Aw motherfucker, just realized something while loving around on google.

So my cafeteria tray I made? I obviously did hairpin legs which are kinda ubiquitous and nothing new. I wanted to draw from Bertoia's wire frame chair.

What the gently caress does have to do with my bullshit? Well that lovely thing looks like someone draped a melty piece of shopping chart into a chair and it's great. I had a weird chain of thought of shopping cart? food? lunch tray? Yeah, sure, gently caress it. Yeah. gently caress it. Lunch tray table. But when I was just loving around looking at some furniture, I came across this again.

I know I've seen these George Nelson tables before. Guess I'm more of a ripoff than I thought!

Anyway, my inspiration for this yet-to-be-made coffee table is the Eames.

No no, not the lounge chair. This table with the bent plywood legs. The idea of taking a 2D material like plywood and bending it is fun to me. I dunno, isn't that fun? But I wanted to take that 2D profile, that shape, and make it 2D the other way around, if that makes sense. Yes, I could take flat bar, cut it to taper, and put it in a press brake to make the leg and just straight rip off the Eames table, but eh.

Then I realized, again, I'm not loving original at all.

This was made by youtube woodworker Shaun Boyd. While, okay, it's not exactly what I had drawn up, it's got some elements that are close to mine where I am laughing while muttering "god drat it"

Trying to think up original (or at least original-ish) ideas is tough, let alone around a style that's been ripped of, imitated, emulated, or otherwise reproduced so many times. But it is fun! And at least with my dumb posts you can see the rambling, ambling thoughts behind the puttering and building.

NEdit:

theflyingexecutive posted:

I think it would look more MCM and less industrial with far, far, narrower legs than those diagrams. That style is big on spindly supports for furniture.

Big fan of the skeletal, almost but not quite hairpin legs.

Thanks a bunch, I'll draw that up and see what I get. I appreciate the feedback!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Style it like a coffee bar. Round table, lounger sofa seats, an espresso machine and mad books everywhere

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hitting a topic from up the page, I don’t have a problem with people taking midcentury-and-later homes and combining what are often small kitchens with their adjacent formal dining rooms.

My parents have a house from 1969 and they’ve been considering it for years. I agree with a lot of the thread sentiment about people just indiscriminately taking old houses and ripping out all of the walls in the name of “open concept”. I also agree that a lot of people grow to become frustrated with open concept living and its limitations on poo poo like privacy.

But if I have to choose between a tiny kitchen and a formal dining room, or a shared kitchen-dining room that I can comfortably entertain in and make it fit with the rest of the house then it’s by far the better option.

It’s when people start ripping out the wall between the kitchen and the living room that poo poo starts to go off the rails.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking inspiration from existing work. Hell, even if you tried to imitate the design as exactly as possible (including using the same materials, measurements, finish, etc.) it'd still be an excellent learning experience and get you a worthwhile piece at the end.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Exactly, you're being way too hard on yourself. Think of it this way: you either independently or subconsciously came up with stuff similar to the most iconic designs out there. Either you're a good designer yourself, or have internalized other people's good designs. Neither is a bad thing.

I had a philosophy professor who liked to say that there hasn't been an entirely original idea since the Golden Age of Greece. Slight exaggeration, but...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trabant posted:

Exactly, you're being way too hard on yourself. Think of it this way: you either independently or subconsciously came up with stuff similar to the most iconic designs out there. Either you're a good designer yourself, or have internalized other people's good designs. Neither is a bad thing.

I had a philosophy professor who liked to say that there hasn't been an entirely original idea since the Golden Age of Greece. Slight exaggeration, but...

Yeah, new things are always going to build on the foundations of old things.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." --Isaac Newton

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know I've seen these George Nelson tables before. Guess I'm more of a ripoff than I thought!

The torsion where the vertical meets the base and the tabletop make me sad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Found the perfect compliment for the sex dungeon bathroom (perhaps this is why it remains hidden in the closet)

https://soranews24.com/2019/03/22/gaming-toilet-design-could-be-japans-greatest-bathroom-contribution-since-washlet-bidets/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mokinokaro posted:

Found the perfect compliment for the sex dungeon bathroom (perhaps this is why it remains hidden in the closet)

https://soranews24.com/2019/03/22/gaming-toilet-design-could-be-japans-greatest-bathroom-contribution-since-washlet-bidets/

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mokinokaro posted:

i saw this earlier and i completely agree.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

EDIT: ^^^ Oh yeah, speaking of sex dungeon, my only real work in furniture before this was a couple fuckbenches and a restraint system so a guy could get strapped in as he watched some other dude hosed his girlfriend.

I don't think I'm being hard on myself, I'm just realizing I'm way less original than I thought. And I didn't even think I was being that original! Anyway, I'm getting into this foray with the objective of trying to make a genre of furniture that is typically not all-metal. I didn't really start in on this with the idea that I'm gonna be making all new designs that you've never seen before! But I figured I might as well try not to go directly for a ripoff.

It's gotten me to really look at furniture in a different and more engaging way. I like it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Oh yeah, speaking of sex dungeon, my only real work in furniture before this was a couple fuckbenches and a restraint system so a guy could get strapped in as he watched some other dude hosed his girlfriend.

I’m sorry? Do go on please......

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The year is 2016. There's a facebook group to organize the 10 year reunion for my highschool's class of 2006. Everybody in there is posting their life updates for some reason. Like "Hey everyone! Long time no see, huh? Wow what a blast these 10 years have been. I moved down to Florida with my dad and started a tree service company with three locations." or "I had 3 wonderful babies with (one of their classmates) and couldn't be happier with life at [wherever they worked]"

Now, I wasn't in the class of 2006. But I was invited to the group, and I was feelin' weird. So I posted my own update saying that I've been running a successful fuckbench business for the past 4 years, and listed a bunch of sex furniture I'd be willing to make, and kinda made up names for stuff. Like I said I was making fiend holes. What the gently caress is a fiend hole? I don't loving know.

Well class of 2006 was into some kinky poo poo and I got a poo poo ton of messages from them. Work at the metal shop was slow, I wanted to make some cash, so..... I mean..... why not? I threw out some prices, had some people agree, and uh.... well.... I made some fuckbenches. I even did some vinyl upholstery haha

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rotten Cookies posted:

The year is 2016. There's a facebook group to organize the 10 year reunion for my highschool's class of 2006. Everybody in there is posting their life updates for some reason. Like "Hey everyone! Long time no see, huh? Wow what a blast these 10 years have been. I moved down to Florida with my dad and started a tree service company with three locations." or "I had 3 wonderful babies with (one of their classmates) and couldn't be happier with life at [wherever they worked]"

Now, I wasn't in the class of 2006. But I was invited to the group, and I was feelin' weird. So I posted my own update saying that I've been running a successful fuckbench business for the past 4 years, and listed a bunch of sex furniture I'd be willing to make, and kinda made up names for stuff. Like I said I was making fiend holes. What the gently caress is a fiend hole? I don't loving know.

Well class of 2006 was into some kinky poo poo and I got a poo poo ton of messages from them. Work at the metal shop was slow, I wanted to make some cash, so..... I mean..... why not? I threw out some prices, had some people agree, and uh.... well.... I made some fuckbenches. I even did some vinyl upholstery haha

That owns

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
where are the fuckbench pictures :catbert:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is low-key one of the best threads on the forums.

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007
No way, it's this toilet but in red

https://twitter.com/peter6409/status/1106140566998249473

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fuckbenches are all well and good, but only if they're well designed

tasteful fuckbenches, is what I'm saying, functional but also pleasing to the eye

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So what exactly is a fiend hole then?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Interior Design Thread: Tasteful Fuckbenches

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The one he forgot to file after he cut it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Adrian Pearsall gently caress Bench 3 for Herman Miller

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The real fiend hole..... were the friends we made along the way

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

where are the fuckbench pictures :catbert:

I deleted facebook, but I downloaded a zip file of my poo poo, so I'm hoping there's a pic in there. Otherwise, I still have a rough drawing I did for an email

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

When you first started talking about this I was confused because the brief seemed to be 'MCM but with metal' and mid-century design was a big time for metal furniture, especially aluminum. It's a well-trod field. But I think there's a point with any craft where you need to stop worrying so much about originality, and just focus on making what you love. Handling materials and construction will spawn it's own inspiration that you can turn into something new down the road. Or you can drop the MCM route for something else.

All-metal art nouveau perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
unf at dat side table.