Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Squidster posted:

The issue isn't that people dislike the archetype of the dumb sweet friend, it's that the character reached the end of his arc in season 1. His punchlines might vary a little, but there's no uncertainty with him, no chance of growth. Chidi and Eleanor are simply defined by their core struggles of Indecision and Selfishness, but they're both trying to overcome their nature. What's Jason working to overcome?

Compare him to Andy from Parks and Rec. Andy was a fuckup who slept in a pit, got a job, worked hard, got married, and became a success. We saw him slowly become more responsible and less selfish, integrating into his community, all while remaining dumb as a post.

Not being tormented by inner struggle is a great feature of real human beings, but not always in entertaining characters.

Yeah, this. I don't dislike Jason or think he has zero depth, nor do I not understand the gags. I'm just mostly over the schtick because it's been three seasons and he has very little growth compared to, say, Tahani. Which is fine because Jason is in a good place as a person to not have much personal growth to do other than how dumb as a rock he is-- he's already a good person who seems to have always meant well, but always goofed it up. But that doesn't mean I can't be kinda bored by it lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The only real problem with Jason is that they showed us his home and he actually seems to come from a cartoon world. All the other characters seem to have grown up in our world, where as Jason literally comes from a place with monster truck taxis.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

The only real problem with Jason is that they showed us his home and he actually seems to come from a cartoon world. All the other characters seem to have grown up in our world, where as Jason literally comes from a place with monster truck taxis.

Yeah, Florida. You've never been?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Senor Tron posted:

lol at this goon who has never lived in Real America

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Florida transcends parody

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my last post might have sounded dismissive. but I legitimately know multiple dudes irl who have driven around at one point or another in trucks not too dissimilar to that taxi truck from the show. this is my lived experience as a former rural gas station attendant don't erase me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

also apologies for double post but i went out to the bar tonight (I don't usually) and encountered not zero, not one, but at the very minimum THREE Jasons

one of them was an extremely solid guy who talked wif me at length about how smart his kids are and how he hopes they turn out smarter and more successful than him. good dude. america

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cartoon Florida is almost certainly a glitch caused by Janet/Michael's presence on earth.

It was a short journey.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
chidi's boot friend is also a cartoon man

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

luxury handset posted:

chidi's boot friend is also a cartoon man

BOOT BUDDIES

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/DarcyCarden/status/1108621476071014400

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Florida is merely a parody of reality and TGP Florida its merely a parody of that. A parody of a parody if you will.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Florida is merely a parody of reality and TGP Florida its merely a parody of that. A parody of a parody if you will.

Well, America is a parody of itself for a while now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well, America is a parody of itself for a while now.

not yet. When overlord Commissar Bernimir Sandropov finalizes full communism now, then america will be a parody of its former self.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Senor Tron posted:

I've done my time in Florida. If you told me somewhere in Florida was some kind of fledgling monster truck taxi service I wouldn't think twice. And if there isn't then someone should start it and make all the cash.

I like Jason because he's sorta like Michael Scott, where he's a fool, but occasionally you see it's more blind spots and obliviousness then stupidity.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Tristesse posted:

Also we still don't know who the bad place is going to send to gently caress with him. An old guy that Pillboi ODed? The DJ with the speedboat? Burt Reynolds?

They'll send him a love interest to mess with Janet.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Sokani posted:

They'll send him a love interest to mess with Janet.

With her newly formed abilities to throw shade and hate things I would be happy to see that go down.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah while it might be somewhat redundant with Simone, an ex-girlfriend or even someone who just has immediate chemistry with Jason would be great because it would also screw with Janet which would throw a maaaajjjjorrr wrench in their plans, especially if she starts glitching

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like if the mail room lady from the Good Place was a recurring character, and every time she showed up she got better at being angry because in her first episode it had just never happened before, and as the series goes on she gets practice. An angel-type character breaking her programming the same way Michael did but in the opposite direction.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like if the mail room lady from the Good Place was a recurring character, and every time she showed up she got better at being angry because in her first episode it had just never happened before, and as the series goes on she gets practice. An angel-type character breaking her programming the same way Michael did but in the opposite direction.

She eventually turns into Trudy Judy and we get the Good Place/B99 crossover episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Nicole Byer is incredible and should be in way more stuff

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm amazed Jason gets so much stick for being shallow in a show with Chidi, who is just tv-neurosis.txt with people occasionally stopping to point out how attractive he is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like Chidi was way more uptight in season 1 and 2 personally, but yeah he hasn't had much more growth than Jason. Chidi is also not one of my favourites along w Jason tbh. Tho they are both still great!

Like I'm mostly splitting hairs when I complain about this show, b/c even the stuff I am not as hype on any more is still quality.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jason's challenge is some kinda Finance/Tech Bro that uses big and expensive words and is actually a real piece of poo poo, and it's up to the simple-ish but well meaning Jason to deal with it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, i think the reason i have a soft spot for him is that have known a lot of Jasons during my life. i have known many dudes who weren't born into any privilege, and maybe they weren't the most educated or most talented, but deep down they were kind people who believed in trying to do the right thing, even if they messed up a lot

I'm not even american and this holds true for me as well. There are jasons all around us

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I think the main problem with Jason as a character is that the show hasn't done anything to show that he has developed beyond his "initial sin". At the end of season 2 The Judge gives each character a test designed to test their main flaw. For Eleanor, it was selfishness. For Chidi, it was indecisiveness. For Tahani, it was caring too much what people (especially her family) think about her. For Jason we are specifically told that his main "sin" is poor impulse control. For his test he was more excited to play Madden than to even finish listening to the rules.
Throughout season 3 we saw the other 3 main characters improve: Eleanor learns to embrace being part of a team and becomes less selfish; Tahani learns that fame and fortune isn't everything and repairs the relationship with her sister; and Chidi learns to relax and not be so indecisive due to his romance and exposure to Eleanor. But Jason is still the only one that the show hasn't really done much to show him overcome his impulsiveness. I think the show runners still think they are getting mileage out of keeping Jason as the lovable buffoon with a heart of gold but from a storytelling perspective he's still a pretty weak character compared to the growth the others have demonstrated.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

King of Foolians posted:

I think the main problem with Jason as a character is that the show hasn't done anything to show that he has developed beyond his "initial sin". At the end of season 2 The Judge gives each character a test designed to test their main flaw. For Eleanor, it was selfishness. For Chidi, it was indecisiveness. For Tahani, it was caring too much what people (especially her family) think about her. For Jason we are specifically told that his main "sin" is poor impulse control. For his test he was more excited to play Madden than to even finish listening to the rules.
Throughout season 3 we saw the other 3 main characters improve: Eleanor learns to embrace being part of a team and becomes less selfish; Tahani learns that fame and fortune isn't everything and repairs the relationship with her sister; and Chidi learns to relax and not be so indecisive due to his romance and exposure to Eleanor. But Jason is still the only one that the show hasn't really done much to show him overcome his impulsiveness. I think the show runners still think they are getting mileage out of keeping Jason as the lovable buffoon with a heart of gold but from a storytelling perspective he's still a pretty weak character compared to the growth the others have demonstrated.
He's turning more from "impulsive selfishness" to "impulsive goodwill" though, like, previously my dude loved fuckin' around committing Crimes but now he just wants people to be Nice

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, Florida. You've never been?

I literally go to Sarasota almost every year and have gone to Orlando a few times, and... while the stereotypes are somewhat true, TGP takes them way, way, way farther than in reality

as far as his impulsivity, I think Whalley nailed it: his impulsivity isn't actually his problem, so much as what he uses it towards, and his real change has been from selfishness to altruism

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I literally go to Sarasota almost every year and have gone to Orlando a few times, and... while the stereotypes are somewhat true, TGP takes them way, way, way farther than in reality

as far as his impulsivity, I think Whalley nailed it: his impulsivity isn't actually his problem, so much as what he uses it towards, and his real change has been from selfishness to altruism

Going to Sarasota for the Florida experience is like going to The Hamptons for the New York experience

(source: I grew up in Sarasota)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If you haven't been to the panhandle, you haven't been to Florida. You went to the rich people city and the tourist city. That's it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mordiceius posted:

If you haven't been to the panhandle, you haven't been to Florida. You went to the rich people city and the tourist city. That's it.

Yea, remember that Jason is from Jacksonville specifically. If you go to Tampa/Orlando/Miami, you're not really getting the true Florida Man experience. And as Mordicelius and kumba said, Sarasota is for retired well off people, it's the least Florida Man environment ever, Florida Man thrives in poverty and youth.

Also, it is a comedy show, of course it's exaggerating reality.

E: VVV Yea if you go 5 minutes east of Orlando you're in Bithlo and hooo boy are you gonna have a time.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 25, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
You don't even have to go very far from Sarasota, Myakka City is like 20 minutes east and perfectly encapsulates rural Florida

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kumba posted:

You don't even have to go very far from Sarasota, Myakka City is like 20 minutes east and perfectly encapsulates rural Florida

basically twenty miles inland from literally any city on a coast (except maybe miami) will take you into Real Florida

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean the chunk around Siesta Key seems like it's mostly young potheads and Russians :shrug:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I watched season 1 and 2 and started watching 3 last year, but then got busy with school, and now I just rewatched the whole show over two weeks. Can't wait for season 4 :3:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For anyone needing a fix, D'Arcy Carden is part of a pretty good skit on Last Week Tonight this week.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
There's also a new episode of the official Good Place podcast with Busy Philipps and Marc Evan Jackson talking about the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Senor Tron posted:

For anyone needing a fix, D'Arcy Carden is part of a pretty good skit on Last Week Tonight this week.

"Not a homeowner."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

The outtakes at the end were pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

And Barry is airing again.